Chapter 4

Logan leaned on the banister, enjoying the night air and savoring one of his Cuban cigars. The night turned out better than he expected. The conversation was light and engaging. He found himself staring at Ororo a few times, still not believing that she was back. During the conversation, he learned that she would be staying with his mom and stepfather until she returned to New York.

As the night progressed, feelings he thought were long gone resurfaced, causing him to remember happier times with her and even the feel of her body against his during their brief hug. Affected by the feelings the thoughts were creating, Logan retreated to the porch after being shooed away from clean up duty by his mom and John. His desire to smoke a cigar was a good cover to explain his need to go outside. He really needed to remove himself from Ro’s presence so he could get his thoughts together.

At home in the darkness, Logan opted to leave the porch light off. After about 10 minutes, he heard the door open.

“Feel like some company?” Ororo asked, stepping through the door and pulling it closed behind her.

“Sure, long as the smoke doesn’t bother you.”

“Nope. Living in New York, you get use to stuff like that,” she said, taking a seat in the porch swing, “Still like the night, I see?”

“Yeah, there’s nothing like it,” he said, putting out the fire of the half smoked cigar by rubbing it against the cement pole. Tucking it away, Logan joined her on the swing and they sat in silence, watching the night sky.

After a few minutes, Ororo spoke. “Early morning is still my favorite time of the day. Everything is quiet and it’s in that quiet that my mind is at peace. Then I’m able to plan out my day or find a solution to an issue that’s bothering me,” she volunteered, still staring out at the starry sky, “It was on one of those morning that I realized that, though I had everything I have ever asked for, there was still one thing missing.”

Logan waited for her to continue her thought. When she didn’t, he asked, “What was missing?”

“Home,” she replied easily, slipping her feet from her shoes and pulling her feet up on the swing like she had countless times when they were younger.

“That the reason you moving back?” he asked, gently rocking the swing.

Feeling the movement, Ororo looked over at him and smiled.

“What can I say, old habits die hard,” Logan said, responding to her silent question.

“Yes, they do. Another reason to come back home,” she said, answering but not answering his question, “Mama Shelia told me you started your own business. How’s it going?”

“It’s tough and tiresome but worth it. The first three months were the hardest and then things started looking up. Now we’re doing really well. We have 20 employees and several high-end customization orders,” Logan replied, happy to have someone to talk to about his business other than his mother and stepfather.

“Two Wheels right?” she asked, glancing over at him.

“Yeap. You have a bike you want customized?” he asked jokingly, knowing that as a kid, she refused to ride one.

“Maybe. Who knows, I might want to buy one soon, since I know where I can get one at a good price,” she said making Logan laugh as she glanced at him.

Chuckling, Logan told her, “Come on down. The owner will personally see to it that you’re happy with your purchase.”

“That’s good to hear because that’s what I’m striving for “ happiness,” she said, dropping her feet back to the floor and slipping on her shoes.

“You going in?” he asked, hating that she was leaving.

“Yeap, I have to get up early tomorrow,” she replied, as he stopped the swing and steadied it so she could stand.

“What you doing tomorrow night?” he asked, taking a chance as he stood, watching as she made her way to the front door.

“Not much. Just hanging out here. Why?”

“I figured since you’ve been away for a while, we could get you reacquainted with the city. You game?”

“Only if you bring your bike,” she replied, opening the screendoor and looking over her shoulder at him, smiling at his shocked look.

“Since when you ride bikes?” he asked, leaning against the banister, facing her.

“Things changes as much as they stay the same. Nite, Logan,” Ororo said secretively, before entering the house.

Smiling to himself, Logan looked out in the night once more, going over their conversation in his head. Pushing off the banister, Logan got the feeling that he might have another shot with Ororo.

Heading inside to tell his folks goodnight, he hoped he was reading their interactions correctly. And this time, he thought, I won’t mess it up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*


“And where do you think you’re going dressed like that?” Shelia asked Ororo, as she entered Ororo’s room.

“I have a date,” she replied smiling as she putting the finishing touches on her hair.

“Would I happen to know the person you’re going out with?” Shelia asked, sitting behind her on the bed.

“Why yes, you should know him. You gave birth to him,” Ororo told her, winking at her through the mirror and making her laugh.

“You know, he still loves you,” Shelia told her.

“Really? He had a strange way of showing it,” Ororo said, all of the mirth disappearing from her tone, as she stood and went over to stand in front of Shelia, “Zip me, please.”

“Don’t I know it but look at the situation like this,” she began, zipping her up, “If he had not done it, where would you two be today? As painful as that time was for you and him, I know that it happened for a reason. And that was so both of you could go out and experience the world before you settled down in your life together.”

“You make it sound like we are meant to be together,” Ororo replied, slipping her leather jacket on over her leather pantsuit. She bought them especially for her evening out. She wanted to leave a lasting impressing.

“Baby, let me tell you something,” Shelia said, taking her hand and forcing her to stop. Patting the place beside her, she turned so she could face her. “As the person who has been on the outside watching you and him over the years, I can honestly tell you that your lives were meant to be intertwined. Now, don’t write this off as the ramblings of an old, nosy woman, but as a mother who knows her children. The love you have for each other is deeper than the both of you realize. This small break that you had was done so that you can have a taste of the outside world. From where I’m standing, the taste that the both of you had wasn’t too your liking and so you are turning back to the one thing that made you happy - each other.”

“So,” Shelia said, patting Ororo’s hand and standing, “I do think you and him are meant to be together. You mark my words, you guys will be married before the end of the year.”

“I seriously doubt that one Mama Shelia,” Ororo called after the older woman as she exited the room.





You must login () to review.