Chapter 5

The evening out with Logan turned out better than she thought. Worried that it would be awkward, Ororo found herself laughing a lot and enjoying his company. Logan was a complete gentlemen and she could tell that he had picked up a few tips on how to treat a lady along the way. He was considerate, thoughtful, patient, and gentle. He made sure that she was comfortable and made her feel like she was the only girl in the room. By the end of the evening, their interactions felt like the last few years never happened.

Though she was having a good time, she tried not to get too caught in the moment of the night. That proved to be hard for her, especially considering that he was still the only man she had truly loved.

Logan and Ororo walked the bike down the quiet street to avoid getting an earful from his mother’s neighbors via his mom about his bike. Pulling it up in the driveway, he hopped on and let down the kick stand. He sat on the bike, waiting for her to make the next move.

Standing next to him, she handed the helmet she carried before running her fingers through her windblown hair.

Looking up at the house, she realized she wasn’t ready for the night to end.

“I’m not ready to go in yet. Want to come up and join me on the porch?” she asked, hoping he didn’t have an early day tomorrow.

“A man would be out of his mind to pass up an invite like that,” he said, hopping down from his seat. He secured his helmet on the hook and turned to her. Taking her hand in his, he helped her up the steps.

Logan still held her hand as they sat on the porch swing. After a few minutes, he lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it gently, cradling it in both of his.

Feeling the brush of his lips on her hand, she looked over at him and their eyes met as he kissed it again. Smiling, Ororo broke the eye contact and looked back toward the road.

“I had a great time tonight,” Logan told her, gently caressing her hand with is thumb.

“So did I. You really know how to show a girl a good time,” she teased him, looking over at him.

“I try,” he began, “I was surprised when you said you wanted to take the bike. Since when do you ride?”

“You want the long answer or short one?” Ororo asked, looking over at him.

“I’m not tired. You?” he asked.

“Not really,” she replied.

“Okay, well I can hang as long as you can,” he replied.

Taking a deep breath, Ororo decided to tell him the full truth. “After graduation, life became a roller coaster ride,” she began, slipping off her shoes and getting comfortable, “Still reeling from our breakup and feeling alone, I threw myself into work and before I knew it, three years had passed and I didn’t have much to show for it. Though working is optional, I did because otherwise, I wouldn’t have an excuse to leave the house. I didn’t date or hang out with friends because I didn’t really have any to speak of, so it was just me against the world.” Smiling sadly, she stood and walked over to the banister, needing to put space between herself and Logan.

“Ro, I,” Logan started, standing.

Ororo put her hand up to stop his words and advance, knowing that if they were to move pass the past, she had to get her feelings off her chest.

Without looking back at him, she continued, “I spent New Year’s Eve crying my eyes out about the sad lot that was my life. I decided that I was tired of crying and feeling sorry for myself, the sad little broken hearted orphan girl. So I made up my mind then to step out on faith and live life again.”

Turning to face him and taking in the sad look on his face, she continued, “So to answer your question, I figured there was no one better to take me on my first motorcycle ride than the man who was trained by my father…the man I love.”

“You don’t mean that, Ro,” he said.

She walked to him and took his hands, encouraging him to stand. “Logan, why would I stand here and bear my soul, and tell you I’m still in love with you and not mean it?”

“How can forgive me after what I put you through?” he asked.

“Once I got past the pain and anger I felt, I was able to forgive you. When that happened, I was able to do what the Good Book says…”

“The Good Book?” he asked.

“Let’s just say I needed help in the forgiving department and there was only one Person who could help me,” she said, causing him to smile, “So like I was saying before I was rudely interrupted…”

Logan chuckled quietly, making her smile, “Love always hopes and perseveres. Love is patient and its kind. I never stopped loving you, Logan. I tried, I truly did but I remembered something.”

“The promise,” he said softly.

“Yes,” she said, touching the side of his face and wiping away the tear that slid down his cheek, “Our promise to...”

He lifted his hand and touched the side of her face, another tear sliding down his cheek, “Give each other our hearts.”

“Yes,” she said before kissing him. Logan responded and deepened the kiss. When the kiss ended, they held each other for a long time, healing each other’s pain with the balm of their shared love.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*


True to her mother’s word, Ororo stood admiring herself in her wedding gown in the full length mirror. She looked past her reflection and smiled at the Christmas decorations that still hung on the wall in her room, despite the passing of the holiday four days ago.

Looking back at her reflection, she turned to the left, then to the right to see her how dress fit. Satisfied that it was perfect, she adjusted her veil. As a knock sounded at the door, she lowered the edges of the tulle garment, mentally saying goodbye to Ororo Munroe and hello to Mrs. James Logan Howlett.





You must login () to review.