Chapter 2

The spring semester was in full swing. Ororo, along with her friends Alana and Akiyia were leaving class when Akiyia saw a poster for the Spring Talent Show.

“Guys, we should sign up for this!!” she said excitedly. Known as the songbird of the group, Akiyia was majoring in Theatre Arts with a dream of becoming a famous Broadway songstress.

“Why? So Ro and I can serve as your backup singers?” Alana asked, making Ororo smile.

“Well, every diva needs some right?” Akiyia said jokingly, dodging love swats from her friends, “You guys can sing. With a little coaching from me, we could win this thing. What do you say?”

Before either girl could say a word, Logan, Jean, and a few of Logan’s teammates walked by. Logan, with his arm around Jean’s shoulders, looked over at Ororo and her friends.

“Hey Ro, Lana, and Kiy,” Logan said as he passed. Jean just looked at them and rolled her eyes.

Since their breakup, Logan and Ororo hadn’t said more than hello in passing. Now six months later, she still wasn’t over him and somehow knew that he still loved her, despite the fact that he and Jean were together.

As she watched Logan and his friends walk away, she couldn’t mask the hurt she felt. Seeing this, her friends put a hand on her shoulder.

“You okay?” Alana asked, a concerned look on her face.

Ororo nodded, unable to speak.

“You know, the best thing about music is that it can express the things you want to say when you can’t,” Kiy began, slipping her arm through Ororo’s and nodding to Alana to do the same, “I have a few songs in mind that will make Logan rethink this temporary lapse in judgment and have him in your arms before the end of the night.”

Nodding, Ororo returned her friends’ smiles and before leading the way out the building.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“You ready,” Kiy asked Ororo, who stood in the middle of the stage.

“As ready as I will ever be. I can’t believe I let you guys talk me into this?” she whispered fiercely.

“Well, it’s show time now and you can’t back out. So break a leg, songbird,” Alana said as the curtains opened.

The girls, known as AOA, stood before a sold out crowd for their school’s Spring Talent show. The participants had to prepare three numbers. If they were selected as one of the top five acts after performing their first song, they would sing their 2nd selection. If they were won, they would sing their final act and walk away with a $5000 cash prize.

The competition to get into the Talent Show was fierce. Each participant had to fill out an entry form and if called, had to audition in in front of the who’s who of the school’s theatre arts world. Though a sophomore, Kiy was one of the who’s who. Despite her status, she and her friends still had to audition to get a slot.

Akikya, determined to win the prize had pushed them to the limit, practicing for the audition. When they were selected for the Talent Show, she gave them a week off before she turned into the vocal coach from hell. At one point, Ororo didn’t think their friendship would survive it but once she heard their voices on the recording of their final practice, she had a feeling that all of their hard work would pay off.

Now standing before the crowd, Ororo had a moment of nervousness, wondering if they were doing the right thing. As the opening bars of Heather Headley’s song In My Mind played, she threw caution to the wind and song the song with one person in mind.


In My Mind

Imagine seeing him on the town
Holding another hand
She's starin' me down,
So I figure that he told her who I am.
But it don't matter either way,
What they do or say cause ain't nothin' changed.
He's standing with her, but his soul is calling out my name.

In my mind, I'll always be his lady.
In my mind, I'll always be his girl.

Saw his momma just the other day,
Said he'd been through a spell.
Had a bad break up, thinks he's on his way up, it's hard to tell.
She said I think it'd do some good if you called him every now and then.
You see he's been through some things and I'm thinking he could really use a friend.

In my mind, I'll always be his lady.
In my mind, I'll always be his girl.
Only time can tell if I'm his lady.
But in my mind, I'll always be his girl.

They say if you love something, you've got to let it go.
And if it comes back, then it means so much more.
But if it never does, at least you will know,
That it was something you had to go through to grow.

In my mind, I'll always be his lady.
In my mind, I'll always be his girl.
Only time will tell if I'm his lady.
But in my mind, I'll always be his girl.

Always feel this way about ya,
Always be your lady,
In my heart, in my mind.
In my heart, in my mind.
In my soul, in my mind.
Baby you should know,
You're in my thoughts, in my mind.
You're in my prayers, in my mind.
I'll always keep you there.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Source: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/heatherheadley/inmymind.html


Ororo opened her eyes as the song faded to see the crowd on their feet, their thunderous applause drowning out the announcer’s voice. Her friends rushed over to her and embraced her.

“Girl, you brought the house down,” Alana said as they made their way off stage, “I didn’t know you had it in you.”

“Neither did I,” Ororo replied.

“Kiy, you guys rocked the house,” Steve exclaimed as he approached them backstage, giving Kiy an air kiss. Steve was one of the show’s organizer.

“Thanks Steve. What do you think our chances are?” Kiy asked, knowing that he wouldn’t say anything.

“My lips are sealed but you guys did a fabulous job!”

Ten minutes later, the girls hugged one another again. They made it to the top five. They were up first and their song of choice was Jennifer Hudson’s Where You At? with Kiy singing lead.

Ororo could not believe it when she heard their group’s name announced over the loud speaker as the winners. She still couldn’t believe it when they came out with the large fake check and took a picture. She was still in shock as she stood in the middle of the stage with her friends beside her as the opening bars of Jennifer Hudson’s Invisible flowed through the speakers.


Invisible
Seems like I'm not here
It's like I don't mean nothing
Like glass unclear
Almost like you can see straight through me
I got questions but no answers
So tired of being confused and I
Don't wanna stay right here and I
Gotta find my wings and fly

[Chorus:]
I gotta find me another way
Cause I don't wanna stay another day
Time for a change in my mind
I've opened my eyes I'm changing my life
And now I'm gonna live my life for me
Cause this ain't how it's supposed to be
No more standing in the back of the line
Cause I'm invisible for the last time

Why can't you see me
Do I really even matter
You changed me completely
And I remember how it used to be
I got question what's the lesson
I'm tired of being confused and I'm
I'm gonna take my chance and fly
I'm taking back my life

[Chorus]

This can't be it for me
This can't be all I'm made for
And all my time wasted in this life
It's my time to shine
No more feeling insufficient
I'm gonna make my own decisions
It don't matter what you can or cannot see
I'm doing this for me

[Chorus]

Can you see me
I know you see me
No more standing in the back of the line
Cause I'm invisible for the last time


Ororo could still hear the roaring crowd in her ears as she made her way to room early that morning. The Talent Show participants and organizers ended the night at the local club, partying until as they say the break of dawn.

As she neared her room, she pulled out her cell phone and saw that she had several missed calls. Before she could key in her password, she got a call. The caller ID read “ Wireless Caller.

“Hello,” she answered, opening her door.

“Hey Ro,” Logan replied.





You must login () to review.