Chapter 3

It’s been three years since Logan’s last conversation with Ororo. After congratulating her on her win in the Talent Show, their conversation became strained. Though Ororo enjoyed hearing his voice, it also served as a painful reminder. Sensing her desire to get off the phone, Logan told her he would call her again later. But he had yet to make that call.

What could he say? Somehow, he didn’t think saying “I’m sorry” would be enough after he basically left her for another woman. Now, he was the one being left.

After three and half years, Jean decided she couldn’t do it anymore and left him, headed back into the arms of her ex, Scott Summers. Before Logan knew it, they were married and off on their honeymoon in the French Rivera. The funny thing was he was more upset about what he did to Ororo than he was about Jean leaving.

The writing had been on the wall about his relationship with Jean for a long time. Even so, he couldn’t stomach breaking another heart and decided to tough it out. And tough it out he did. Logan spent most of his time appeasing and catering to Jean’s wishes. They did whatever she wanted to do, how she wanted to do it and when she wanted to do it.

Logan shunned all his friends and had to mend the fence with his mother on several occasions. His mother, as loving as she was to everyone, hated Jean with a passion. Ultimately, Logan realized that Jean was trying to change him into a person more like Scott but he refused.

The final straw came when he decided he wanted to be what she called a “grease monkey.” He wanted to transform his love of motorcycles into a business and found that the market in his hometown was just ripe for the business venture. So with the help of his mom and stepfather and a bank loan, he launched his business, aptly named Two Wheels. He envisioned a showroom that displayed the newest makes of the various models but he also wanted a shop that specialized in customizing and servicing all bikes.

Jean, feeling neglected due to Logan’s long hours at work, decided that enough was enough and left him a Dear John letter, placed atop of the last beer in the fridge. Tired from his 10th straight day at the shop, Logan saw the note and tossed it in the trash after reading it, thinking good riddance.

That was six months ago. Logan had spent the time after her departure focused on building his business. Now things had started to look up and Logan had a bit more free time to do other things.

The first thing on his to do list was to spend some time with his mother. He could not have made it through the last few months without her. Without being asked, she volunteered to keep his house clean, except his bedroom, saying that his private space was not for her eyes, and made sure that his fridge was stocked with food.

Because of this, he figured he would call her and his stepfather and invite them out to dinner to say thanks. Dressed and ready to go, Logan picked up his phone and dialed his mom’s number.

“Hello,” the person said, the one whose voice he would never forget.

“Ro?”

“Yes. Hey Logan,” Ororo replied.

“Hey. Long time no talk too. How you been?” he said smoothly, getting over his shock quickly.

“Pretty good. I know, it has been a long time. About four years, right?” she asked.

“Yeah, something like that. You in town for a visit?” Logan asked.

“Oh, didn’t Mama Shelia tell you? I’m moving back home in a few weeks. I’m in town for the next two days to get things sorted out with the house and some other stuff. Oh, hold on a sec.,” Ororo said, pulling the phone away so she could talk to someone in the background, “Sorry. Mama Shelia said to ask if you were available to come over for dinner. She’s over here cooking up a storm. She asked me to give you a call but you beat me to the punch.”

“And to think, I was calling to invite her and John out to dinner. That woman just can’t sit still,” he told her.

“That’s Mama Shelia for you. So are you free for dinner?”

“Free and clear. I’ll see you guys in 30 minutes,” he said.

“Okay, see you then,” Ro said, about to hang up.

“Hey Ro?” Logan said, hurriedly.

“Yes?”

“Welcome home.”

Exactly 27 minutes later, Logan walked into his mother’s house bearing gifts. He figured that this may be an opportunity for him to set things right with Ro so he wanted to surprise her with a gift.

Opening the door and stepping inside, Logan’s mouth started to water at the delectable smells coming from the kitchen. His mom’s passion was cooking and she took advantage of every opportunity to do so. She saved her heavy duty cooking for special occasions and by the smell of things, this was a special occasion.

Logan followed the sound of laughter and found himself in the kitchen, watching his mother and Ororo working side by side, transferring food into serving dishes. He stood there a moment, watching the two interact and laugh, enjoying their easygoing relationship.

Though she was over eighteen, his mom still served as Ororo’s “guardian” and treated her like the daughter she never had. She was very angry with him when he broke things off with Ororo. They had a big blow up one day and decided afterward that they would not talk about Ororo, unless truly necessary. They had kept their word so he was totally in the dark about her move back to town.

Having time over the last few months to really think about it, he hoped that with her back in town, he would have an opportunity to rekindle at least a friendship with her.

Clearing his throat, he startled them.

“Boy, don’t do that,” his mom said, her hand hovering over her chest, as she walked over to him, and swatted him with the towel in her hand, “You’re gonna give me a heart attack.”

Chuckling, he leaned down and gave his mom a hug and kiss. “It’s good to see you, son. You’re a bit thin but we will fix that,” Shelia told him, looking over her shoulder at Ororo, “Ro, look what the cat dragged in. Come over and give the man a hug.”

Wiping her hands on a towel, she smiled as she walked over to him. “Hey Logan. Your looking good,” she whispered in his ear.

“You too. It’s good to see you, Ro,” he told her, enjoying the feel of her body against his. After they parted, he pulled the bouquets from behind his back.

“Ro, these are for you,” he said handing a bouquet to Ro.

Logan could see the shocked look on her face as she looked down at the tropical flower bouquet, bursting with color.

“Thank you, Logan. They’re beautiful,” Ro said, bring the bouquet to her nose and taking a deep whiff, her eyes finding his over the flowers.

Logan wasn’t prepared for the butterflies in his stomach when Ororo’s eyes met his. Tearing his eyes away, he looked over at his mom and gave her the other bouquet.

“Oh, thank you, baby! These will go nicely on the table. Come on, everybody. Time to eat.”





You must login () to review.