Author's Chapter Notes:
Jean and Scott are no longer together and Jean is in hot pursuit of Logan. Ororo has to tell her back off without revealing her secret.
Chapter 12 - Marking Her Territory

Relationship Status - married


Since her and Logan's return from Canada, Ororo has been hearing rumblings of Jean and Scott’s relationship being on the rocks. She wasn’t surprised at this, as there were numerous signs within the past year that indicated that the end was perhaps near for the first couple of Xavier’s Institute. But Ororo was no fool and she knew the ramifications of the golden couple going caput. Primarily, she was positive that Jean would begin a pursuit of Logan, should she become single. Since living on the streets of Cairo as a young child, Ororo had learned to trust her instincts and since Logan came into to her life, he had taught her how to solidify those instincts. Except that one time with Forge, they have never failed her.

True enough, Jean and Scott’s relationship came to an end. Ororo’s instincts beckoned her to be on high alert, that Jean was indeed pursuing Logan, with her come hither looks, sly winks and seemingly innocent touches. She knew that Logan was not interested in the red-headed telepath and surprisingly, never was. Logan had confessed to her that he knew he never stood a chance with Jean and that she reminded of someone from his past, hence the apparent attraction he felt. He even went as far as to tell her that he deemed Jean to be a cheap thrill and an attention seeker. And to top it off, he just loved getting under Scott’s skin because he made it so easy.

Ororo was secure in her relationship with Logan. She knew of his devotion to her, not only as her husband, but as her mate. She reveled in their strong bond and commitment to each other. But just as Logan felt it was his duty to protect his mate, she felt that it was her duty to safeguard their union. Part of that duty was keeping their marriage under the radar. Both she and Logan valued their privacy and she felt no qualms about keeping them out of the loop. She was content with the fact that only the ones she and Logan considered important knew about their relationship.

Like the alpha female she was, Ororo kept Jean in her cross hairs. Her feral spouse knew what she was doing, but gave her a wide berth to handle her business. Nevertheless, he was always there to reassure her that she was the only one he wanted and desired. “Darlin’, ya don’t have ta keep tabs on Red. Ya know she means nuttin’ ta me.”

“I know that Logan. I am just marking my territory. I must defend what is mines.”

Logan had felt an incredible joy at her words. He knew his mate had his back, as he had hers.

Jean’s not so subtle tactics to get Logan’s attention were grating on Ororo’s nerves and she had had enough. She needed the telepath to know that she was fighting a losing battle. But she needed to do it in such a way that wouldn’t reveal her secret. Ororo took the bull by the horns a few days ago, when she was in her greenhouse, pruning and watering her babies. She was awaiting Logan’s return, as he had volunteered to go to the nursery to pick up her order of various seedlings and potting soil. She was in the tropical plants section of the greenhouse when Jean’s voice rang out. “’Roro? Are you in here?”

Ororo rolled her eyes and made sure her mental shields were in place. “Yes, Jean. I am in the back. In the tropical section.”

Jean scurried to the back with a faint smile on her face. “Working hard or hardly working?”

Ororo chuckled. “What can I do for you Jean?”

“I am looking for Logan. Have you seen him?”

Ororo smirked, as her face was turned away from Jean, she was unable to see it. Calmly she asked, “Why would you be looking for Logan?”

“I need his help moving around some things in my new room.”

Ororo turned around and face her. She raised an elegant eyebrow.

Jean laughed softly. “What?”

Ororo got to the heart of the matter. “Why are you trying so hard to get Logan’s attention, Jean? From where I and the rest of the mansion stand, it seems like Logan has moved on from whatever it is he felt for you.”

Jean snorted. “What gave you that idea, Ororo? And to answer your question, I am trying to get Logan’s attention because I want him and I know he wants me too.”

It took every ounce of control Ororo possessed to keep her from shooting a lightning bolt into the telepath. She was the model of serenity when she replied, “Don’t you think it is a bit too soon after your breakup with Scott to be pursuing another relationship?”

Jean laughed out loud. “Scott’s moved on, so why shouldn’t I?”

Ororo stared at her, repressing the urge to hit the woman. In a tight voice, she said, “Well, I will advise you to be careful. You do not want to get hurt.”

Jean waved off Ororo, not fully grasping her threat. “Why are you all of a sudden interested in my pursuit of Logan? You never appeared to care in the past.”

“I care because there is enough tension around here and we do not want to get to a point where all that we live for and fight for goes up in smoke.”

“Whatever ‘Roro. I will be fine. Once Logan and I are together, that is.”

Ororo shook her head slowly. “Jean? I say this with love and respect. I do believe you are encroaching on territory you are unfamiliar with.”

Jean tilted her head to the side and studied Ororo. Her mental shields were up and it was downright impossible to get into her mind. A condescending smile spread across the red-head’s face. “You know what I think ‘Roro? I think you want Logan for yourself. Now what makes you think that he will prefer you to me?”

Ororo laughed. It was a laugh that for some inexplicable reason, unnerved Jean. Ororo’s next words were so cryptic that Jean had no choice but to back off. “Think what you want, sister. But I assure you that you have no idea what is going on with me and you cannot fully comprehend it.”

Unbeknownst to the two females, Logan was standing outside the greenhouse and heard every word of the tense exchange. He grinned at Jean’s ignorance. For a telepath and a doctor, she was clueless. Didn’t she recognize a threat when she heard one? He was filled with pride and love, knowing his alpha female was making it known to the threatening female that her attempts at invading the alpha’s territory will not go undetected. He decided that he should make his presence known because knowing his ‘Ro, she was about ten seconds away from striking Jean with lightning.

He strode through the greenhouse purposefully. “Hey ‘Ro. I’m back. The flamin’ nursery mixed up yer order, so I had ta wait a bit.”

Ororo turned to him and gave him a sweet smile. “I was beginning to think you got lost, Logan. Where are the items?”

“Outside in the truck.”

“Alright. Can you bring them in for me please?”

“Sure thing, darlin’.”

Jean stood there, silently listening to and fuming at the feral and the wind rider’s easy banter with each other. “Hi Logan. I was looking for you.”

Logan turned towards her, finally acknowledging her presence. “What ya want Jeannie?”

She sauntered up to Logan and reached out to touch his arm. Anticipating her move, he stepped out of her reach quickly. “I need your muscles.”

“Get another set of muscles. ”

“But, Logan…”

He cut her off, “Sorry, Red. I ain’t yer man.”

Thoroughly rebuffed, Jean turned and stalked towards the exit in a huff. Ororo waited until the coast was clear then walked up to her husband and hugged him. Logan returned the hug, inhaling her intoxicating scent. “How much of it did you hear?”

Logan chuckled. She knew him so well. “All of it.”

“Do you think I did the right thing?”

“Well darlin’ I think ya did what ya thought ya had to.”

“Do you think she knows?”

“Ya know I don’t give a damn who the hell knows about us, ‘Ro. But if she does suspect, she can’t do shit about it.”

Ororo sighed and leaned back in his arms to look up at his face. She looped her arms around his neck and pecked him softly on the lips. “You do know she is going to keep on trying.”

Logan swooped his lips down to capture hers. “Let her try. She’s barkin’ up the wrong tree.”

“I think I will talk to the Professor about the situation.”

“Ok darlin’. By the way, I love how ya go about markin’ yer territory.”

She grinned, her eyes flashing with adoration. In a perfect imitation of him, she replied, “Well bub, I ain’t about ta give ya up.”

Logan roared with laughter. “Glad ta know that beautiful.”

She extricated herself from his hold, but not before giving him a sweet, promising kiss. “We can continue this later dearest, but for now, please bring in the items for me.”

“Ya got it babe.” He swatted her on her ample backside then left the greenhouse whistling. Ororo shook her head, all the while smiling. Oh yes, she was not about to give him up to Jean or any other woman. As she was his, he was hers.





You must login () to review.