Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan is having a hard time getting into the holiday spirit. Ororo is there to show him the way.
Chapter 15 “ Christmas Spirit

Relationship Status - married


He was in no way a religious man, so he sure enough didn’t understand what all the hysteria surrounding the holiday was. To compound matters, Ororo expected him to not only have a gift for her under the mansion’s massive Scotch pine Christmas tree, but to accompany her into the city to attend that damned Nutcracker Ballet, which he vaguely remembered attending many years ago. He knew he’ll do anything to make her happy, she was his mate and wife after all. But that didn’t mean he had to like what he had to do. Notwithstanding the fact that he wasn’t a religious man, he has never found anything celebratory around this time of year. From what memories he managed to recuperate, there was something about Yuletide that always rubbed him the wrong way. But he’ll suck it up for his woman, as it was their first Christmas as a married couple.

Ororo knew there was something off with Logan since the holidays began. It started around Thanksgiving and only worsened as Christmas due nigh. She knew he wasn’t a man for religion, detested shopping and had an aversion to large gatherings. She herself was not a religious woman, being an African priestess and all, but like they said, when in Rome, you had to do as the Romans do. However, she sensed it went much deeper than any of those things for the Wolverine. He had grumbled and grunted something fierce as only he can, when she in no uncertain terms told him that she expected him to present her with a gift and to accompany her to the ballet. His obvious lack of enthusiasm for this time of year was something she needed to explore and get to the root of why it had her spouse on edge. It was going to be damn near impossible to get a brooding Wolverine into the Christmas spirit, but try she must.

She found him in the solarium, one of the scarcely used rooms in the mansion. He was seated on the soft cushioned wicker recliner, holding a glass of vintage scotch. His eyes were closed as he enjoyed the sun’s rays beaming through the room. His nose twitched and a hint of a smile came over his face as her familiar scent drifted towards him.

“Hey, darlin’,” he crooned.

“Hey yourself.”

“Everythin’ ok?” He asked, opening his eyes to meet hers as she leaned over him. She pecked him softly on his lips but pulled back just as he attempted to deepen the kiss.

She sat down in the other recliner beside him. “That is the question I should be asking you.”

He played dumb. “What question is that darlin’?”

Ororo rolled her eyes then looked at him pointedly. There was no escaping her penetrating cerulean stare. “Do not play dumb with me, Logan. I thought that with this being our first Christmas together, you would be in a more festive mood.”

Logan went still for a moment. He emptied the contents of the glass, then carefully placed the glass on the end table next to the recliner. “Come on ‘Ro. Ya know I’m not one fer festivities.”

Ororo sighed, then took his broad callused hands into her soft small ones. “I know that, my love. But something is troubling you. And it is very vexing to me that you would not tell me what it is.”

“Talk to me, dearest,” she implored.

Logan grunted. “Damn, there’s no hidin’ nuttin’ from ya, is there?”

She shook her head. “Not on yer life, bub.”

He chuckled at her imitation of him. He then looked at their joined hands and exhale noisily. “From what I can remember, this time of year has never been joyous fer me.”

“Do you have any idea why?”

“Not a clue. I can’t explain it, ‘cept I get this weird feelin’ every time.”

“Hmmm…maybe something happened when you were younger?” She suggested softly.

Logan shrugged. “Who knows? Maybe.”

Ororo extricated her hands from his and stood up. She then eased herself over to sit on her husband’s lap. Logan’s eager arms went around her and pulled her tightly against his chest. He took a deep inhale of her familiar scent.

“Do you want to remember what happened to make you appear more like the Grinch who stole Christmas? Because that is what the children are calling you these days.”

“I’ve had much sorrow in my life, ‘Ro.” He sighed. “Do I really want ta find out the cause of the weirdness ta add more sorrow?

Kissing the corner of his mouth, she replied, “Well, my love you have a choice. You can let the past dictate how you spend the rest of your life, or you can choose to create new memories.”

He caught her behind the neck with his hand and brought her head down for his scorching kiss. Without hesitation, her arms encircled his neck. His mouth tasted like the scotch he drank earlier and Ororo’s tongue savored the intoxicating taste of the alcohol.

He pulled away from her and placed his lips between her breasts, pressing soft wet kisses onto her flesh. She held his head firmly in place. She moaned. “What do you choose?”

Catching her hands and crushing them against his chest, he murmured quietly, “New memories wid ya, babe.”

“I love you.”

The kiss that followed was a confirmation of their love.

“There is something I wanted to ask you,” she said long minutes later. Her head rested on his shoulder while he idly stroked her breast through her blouse.

“Yeah, darlin’?”

“When do you want to let everyone in on our secret?”

He furrowed his brows. “It’s yer show, ‘Ro. Just tell me when ya ready.”

“Well I think we need to do it soon. Jean has surpassed being unbearable and the boathouse will soon be finished for us to move into.”

He shifted his weight so she’d have to sit up straight, then took her face between both of his hands. His thumbs settled at each corner of her mouth. “Like I said, it’s yer show, darlin’.”

Ororo nodded and leaned down to kiss him.

“I wanna give ya yer Christmas gift now.”

“My Christmas present? Now?” she asked, sitting upright instantly.

“One of them. It ain’t wrapped. It’s somethin’ I wanted ta give ya away from pryin’ eyes. I was lookin’ fer the right time ta give it ta ya. I think now is as good a time as any,” he said, handing to her a small envelope he took out of the pocket of his flannel shirt. He watched her carefully as she slit the envelope open with her thumbnail and then reached inside to find two gold bands. His, which was a plain gold band and hers, which was encircled with sapphires to match her eyes.

“Oh, Logan,” she breathed, planting a sweet kiss on his waiting lips.

“This came ta mind since we didn’t exchange rings when we got hitched and after yer demand for a great gift. Ya like them?”

“They are beautiful,” she whispered.

He took the sapphire encrusted ring and slipped it onto the fourth finger of her left hand. She did the same to him with his simple band.

“New memories, darlin’,” he said simply.

“I will treasure this always, dearest. This is…”
Words failed her, so she showed him her love with a kiss. His tongue plunged past her teeth to stroke the sweet interior of her mouth. She responded in kind, moving against him until she felt him swelling hard under her hips.

Huskily, he whispered, “Damn, ‘Ro. If I knew ya would have liked the gift this much, I would have waited ‘til later ta give it ta ya.”

“Well, you could give it to me later, as you always do,” she responded saucily.

He smirked. “Ya could count on that, darlin’.”

“So what is my other present?” she asked slyly.

Logan laughed out loud. “Sorry, babe. Yer gonna have ta wait fer that.”

She pouted, causing him to laugh some more. “What about giving me a hint?”

He shook his head in refusal. “It wouldn’t be Christmas if I do.”

She smiled that special smile that always turns him to mush on the inside. She was happy that he chose to make new memories instead of dwelling on still lost memories. She was also happy the he was finally showing signs of not cringing every time anything having to do with Christmas was mentioned or seen.

He lowered his head and kissed her breasts through the silk that shielded them. He raised his beguiling eyes to hers, taking in her lovely features. “I know we still got a few days left, but Merry Christmas, darlin’.”

She lowered moist lips to his. “Merry Christmas, my love,” she whispered tenderly, before fusing their mouths together.





You must login () to review.