Author's Chapter Notes:
Forge returns with reconciliation in mind.
Chapter 22 “ Enter Forge

Relationship Status “ married

By all that was holy, she remains the most beautiful woman he’d ever seen. A Goddess came to life, a person to be prized above all things and all others. He had gotten a sneak peak of her while she was shuffling through the crowded halls on her way to her next class, a glorious smile upon her stunning features, as she sweetly replied to the students who called out a greetings to her. She carried her attaché case and a few books as she maneuvered her way to finally reach the entrance to her classroom. From his vantage point, he felt the aura surrounding her charged with something that was clearly not present before. He thought about it for a few moments and pinpointed what was different about her. An immeasurable amount of confidence and happiness. She carried them well and they were so palpable, that he could taste it from where he stood. He continued to look at her as she opened the door and walked into the class. His instinct was to run to her and envelope her in his arms, never letting go, but thoughts of thousands of volts of electricity running through the metal parts of his body quickly dispelled that compulsion.

All that could have been mines, he mused. Too bad, he didn’t have the foresight to see then what he saw now. However, he was here to rectify that. Truth be told, before Jean had contacted him, encouraging him to visit, he was giving serious thought to returning to where it all started, with a sole purpose in mind. To get back what he thought was rightfully his. He wanted Ororo back and this time around, nothing or no one was going to get in his way of claiming her. As it always did, it pained him to recall the events of what he had long ago deemed his royal screw up. Blatantly throwing away what he had with Ororo for a woman that meant absolutely nothing to him was one of, if not, the biggest blunder in his life. His sickeningly high levels of cockiness had all but assured him that he never would be caught leading the double life he led. During that time, he craved the best of both worlds, the dark perverse world of the sexually addicted and the loving, secure world of family and friends. But as always, one’s secrets had a way of coming out in the worse way possible. His was revealed when he was caught by none other than Ororo herself, enjoying the carnal pleasures of a whore, whom he’d become involved with once he had asked Ororo to be his wife. What followed after the discovery of his secret was something he would always regret. When confronted with the truth, he took the coward’s way out, blaming her for his infidelities and secret lifestyle. He had berated her, attacking what little self confidence she had then, and when she had calmly handed him back the expensive diamond ring and told him to get out of her life, he knew it would be a very long time before he would be granted forgiveness.

Forge wasn’t the same man who had left her brokenhearted, dejected and unsure of herself. Once he had done as she’d asked, he’d retreated back to his Cheyenne roots to find himself. He’d emerged with a new lease on life, a better man, having come to terms with the state of his life and what he wanted for his future. Finding himself had assured him of many things, but none more so than he’d have a dark future without Ororo in his life. Jean’s encouragement to come back was welcoming, giving him that last bit of confidence he needed to take the final step. Jean’s more than enthusiastic push made him believe that he had a legitimate chance of reviving the relationship with his wind rider. The only thing he was unsure of was what her reception of him and his intentions would be. He could only hope and pray to the spirits that she was at least open-minded and amenable to what he had to say and would eventually give him a chance to reclaim her affections. He knew he was up to the challenge because he was resolved to do whatever it takes to win her back.

No one, except for Charles knew he was back. He had begged Charles not to alert anyone to his presence, wanting to reveal his return to his friends by himself. Charles, knowing that Forge was going to be in for one huge rude awakening, had reluctantly agreed and had issued a warning to the maker to be careful because he was still persona non grata with a few of the residents, namely, Gambit and the Wolverine.

Resolved to corner her after her current class to announce his return, he left the empty halls and made his way to the confines of the bedroom he was given to unpack his belongings.


Ororo sat at her stately black oak executive desk in her airy office, with the intention of grading some of the midterm exams she’d administered earlier in the week. However, for some reason, her mind kept drifting back the events leading up to the night she and Logan had consummated their relationship, with him marking her as his mate for life. She didn’t know what the universe was trying to tell her with the sudden bombardment of memories, but she gave up any pretense of grading exams for the moment.

She and Logan had always been great friends, but deep down she knew there was something unexplainable underlying their relationship. There was always an intense attraction between them, but they had never acted on that attraction, never went past their flirtations and friendly kisses. Then entered Forge. Completely sweeping her off her feet and proposing marriage. She thought she had it all then and what she wanted most in the world would finally be hers for the taking, but even that wasn’t in the cards for her. Forge’s infidelities were discovered and she had chased him out of her life. She then took her broken heart and went in search of the one man she knew who will make it right. And made it right he did. He wasn’t the best at what he did for nothing.

That night after comforting her as only the Wolverine can, they had both decided to take the gamble and act on the attraction that was always between them. The gamble paid off and she was now a happily, self-assured married woman. She guessed she had Forge to thank for the bliss she was currently caught up in. If it wasn’t for his actions, she wouldn’t have had the courage to take Logan up on all he offered her. Where did that thought come from? She frowned and got up from her chair and meandered over to the floor to ceiling bay window that was the focal point of her office. She smiled as the sun was preparing for its final journey to the horizon. She released her hair from its restrictive bun as her mind swung back to that wayward thought. She didn’t have anything to thank Forge for, maybe except heeding her wishes and getting out and staying out of her life.

She glanced up at the clock above the classroom door and saw that a half an hour had quickly passed by. It would be dinner soon and she only had enough time to check her emails and grade a few exams before she headed to the dining hall. Sighing, she ambled back to her chair, reclaiming her seat. She was just about to boot up her computer to get to work when the faint click of the doorknob indicated someone was attempting to enter her office. Assuming it was Logan, the smile she had readily available to greet him froze on her face at the sight of the person who casually strode through the door.

Had he whipped out one of those weapons he was famous for making and threatened her life, she couldn’t have been more stunned. Speechless, she sat there and stared at him. He was the last person she expected to walk into her office.

His teeth were impossibly white and gleaming as he smiled at her, walking over to arrogantly lean against the desk. “You are still a sight for sore eyes, Goddess.”

Ororo was trying desperately to remain composed, but his overconfident smile was grating on her nerves, making it difficult for her to remain sensible. She schooled her features into a mask of indifference before returning his greeting. “Hello Forge.”

“It is nice seeing you again, Rory,” he replied, calling her by the nickname he had christened her with a long time ago.

“What are you doing here, Forge?”

He cocked his brows. His goal to win her back was definitely going to be a fight, if her tone was any indication.

Ororo still remained in her seated position. She had no intention to get up and greet this oaf. Unconsciously, she placed her hands in her lap and fingered her wedding band, taking comfort in the action.

“I thought it was time for me to return and atone for my past mistakes,” he replied, flashing her that smile that would have at one time made her feel desired.

“I wish you luck in that endeavor.”

Forge stood tall and walked closer to her position behind the desk. He loomed over her, placing one hand on her desk and the other on the back of her chair, effectively trapping her. He impaled her with intense dark brown eyes. He needed no misunderstandings in what he was about to tell her and there was no sense in wasting time in relaying his true intentions towards her. “I would like for us to start over, Rory,” he paused. “I want you to give us a second chance.”

Silence reigned as Ororo stared at Forge as if he’d taken leave of his senses. She peered into his eyes and what she saw startled her somewhat. The man was dead serious. She opened her mouth to reply, then immediately clicked it shut. She had no words.


Usually, he was the last one to arrive at dinner, but not tonight. Realizing his wife was not in the dining hall, he set out in search of her. Knowing her penchant for getting caught up in her work, he decided to check her office first. He smiled as he anticipated folding her in his arms and kissing her. It was the first time for the day he was going to see her, well at least awake, as he had left at three in the morning on a simple mission for Charles. He didn’t have the heart to wake her and had kissed her forehead with his promise to see her later. Now, anticipating tasting her lips, he hurriedly stalked the halls to her office. His nose twitched at the scent he was picking up as he walked to ‘Ro’s office. What the…? Foam resin and sulfur. He knew that scent. He hated that scent. As he drew nearer to the office, the clearly identifiable voice of his one time rival grabbed his attention and a growl made its way up to his chest. His inner beast awoke with a start, focused on the other male currently closed off in a room with its mate. As his beast rose closer to the surface, Logan’s thinking became more irrational, his only intent right now was to get to his mate and let it be known, in no uncertain terms, that he was prepared and he would defend what is his. With a fearsome scowl marring his rugged face and the growl sitting in his chest, he viciously twisted the doorknob and savagely pushed the door opened. He was just in time to hear the Maker’s appeal to Ororo.


Both occupants jumped at the crashing sound of the door slamming against the wall. Then, the unmistakable growl of the Wolverine reverberated in the stillness of the room.

“Hell ain’t freeze over yet, bub,” Logan snarled. “I always promise myself that the next time I see ya, I was goin’ ta introduce ya ta my little friends here.” Slowly, Logan released his claws and advanced on the unsuspecting tinkerer.





You must login () to review.