Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan is unnerved by a failed mission which resulted in Ororo getting hurt.
Chapter 24 “ Failed Mission

Relationship Status “ pre

Dammit! Right now, he wasn’t the best person to be around. All his colleagues sensed this and gave him a wide berth. Right now, he felt as if he like can kill everyone within a thousand mile radius, mainly the Brotherhood and Chuck. Especially, their wheel-chaired bound leader. How in the flamin’ hell could the man let them walk into such peril as he had with this mission. It wasn’t the first time, but it was sure as hell the most dangerous of them all.

They had gotten their collective asses handed to them royally. This time, the Brotherhood was prepared and they were left like headless chickens because it was yet another mission in which the bald headed mind manipulator had sent them into blindly. Yet another mission in which they will be heading home limping and for one in particular, with life threatening injuries. They all sported injuries this time around, but he didn’t care about himself, he healed, always did, but poor Storm had suffered the most. He was barely containing the beast who was screaming for release, wanting to shred everything in its path. He had barely gotten it under control to help Ororo, but right now, it took all of his willpower not to get up from the isolated seat he had sequestered himself in on the blackbird and stalk into the temporary triage room where Beast was currently treating her. From his murmured whispers coming from the room, Logan was able decipher that among Ororo’s injuries were a punctured lung, a torn liver, a few fractured ribs and a broken collarbone.

He didn’t think that he will ever get the image of Ororo lying on her back on the floor, feebly struggling against Sabertooth's hulking frame straddling her, inflicting pain to her. There was blood everywhere and she was naked from the waist up. There were claw marks all over her torso and he knew she was hanging on by a thread. So was he, because the sight and scent of her blood brought his beast to life. He gave his beast free reign to do away with the sadistic bastard trying to kill the woman he had recently realized that he loved.

The Wolverine’s roar of rage had reverberated deathly through the room and he had launched himself at Sabertooth with all six adamantium claws drawn, ready to inflict the Wolverine’s brand of justice. Sabertooth never had a chance to react as the Wolverine’s weight slammed into him, pitching the monster off of Ororo. His berserker rage had given him brute strength and even more speed, as he had straddled the mutant’s massive body and slashed, diced and clawed his way at the vile animal. He ignored Sabertooth’s howls of pain and the wounds the malicious mutant managed to inflict on him. Through his rage, there was only the desire to kill this vicious bastard until his insides were strewn across the floor, shredded like ribbons.

Through his red rage he had barely heard Gambit telling him to forget Sabertooth and to help get Storm to the jet for treatment. Wolverine had vaguely registered the younger man's own wounds and anything else for that matter, before he cast a glance to Storm’s lifeless body. He was immediately spurned into action, forcefully pushing the beast down, when he had saw she wasn’t moving.

“Where are the others?” The Wolverine had grunted.

“They comin,’ mon ami. We all in bad shape.”

“Help me,” she had murmured softly, painfully.

“Tell them that I’m takin’ Storm back ta the blackbird. She needs help. Tell Beast ta get his ass there pronto,” the Wolverine had growled, as he slid one arm beneath her naked shoulders and the other under her knees, scooping her into his burly arms as he swiftly stood. Ororo had moan as her body jerked against his. He didn’t even wait to see if Gambit had left to do his bidding, as he held her firm against his chest and had hauled ass out the room and back up the stairs leading to the roof where the jet was waiting.

“Logan?” She had whispered.

“Right here, baby.”

He had taken her to the triage room and immediately placed her on the temporary gurney, beginning the tasks of awkwardly bandaging her wounds to stop the incessant blood flow and keeping her awake, preventing her from slipping away. The smooth, soft skin of her torso was marred by Sabertooth’s talons slicing into her and a second round of rage had washed over him and the desire to go back and finish up Sabertooth was great.

“Hmmm…Logan,” she had murmured. “Logan.”

“Yeah, darlin’,” he had answered gruffly, as he grabbed some blankets and as gently as he could, wrapped them around her.

Her eyes had opened halfway. “Thank…thank you.”

Logan had given her a rare smile, tenderly brushing the strands of hair that lay damply on her forehead away from her face with trembling hands. Christ! She seemed so damned helpless that he only wanted to hold her, never letting her go. Suddenly, all their fights and arguments since he had joined the team didn’t matter. What mattered was that he was in love with her, but that was his secret, one that he will keep to himself and more than likely take to his grave.

This was his first mission since he was reinstated to the team a few weeks ago, after the very same woman he was now looking down at with such tenderness, had suspended him. He vaguely remembered her rant about him not following protocol in the field all because he had disobeyed her orders in order to save Gambit. But a few hours later, he had gotten the opportunity to get to know her a bit after they had agreed to a compromise over several drinks. That was the beginning of a change in their relationship and the increase in intensity of his feelings for her.

He didn’t take his gaze off of Ororo nor stop his ministrations, when he had heard footsteps running towards the jet. From the scents, he had known it was their teammates. As much as he hated to step away from her, he had too once Beast came hobbling into the room.

The furry doctor had immediately gone to attach an intravenous drip into Ororo's left arm. “Thank you, Wolverine. Your bandages stopped her blood loss, which is very important.”

Logan had breathed a sigh of relief and nodded his head. He had been so afraid of doing more damage than good. He had clapped Beast on his back, mindful of the blood covering the fur on the doctor’s shoulder, before exiting the room to take the seat he was currently occupying.

He was so caught up in his thoughts that he didn’t hear Beast call out to him. "Logan."

He looked up at Beast with a confused look on his face when the doctor came into his line of vision. “Are you alright, Logan? I have called your name a few times without you answering.”

Logan stood up abruptly when he saw the doctor’s face tightened with apprehension.

“Ororo is calling for you.”

He quickly flew pass Hank, tossing over his shoulder, “Is she ok?”

Hank sighed. “She is stabilized for the time being, but she is quite frantic asking for you.”

Logan was by Ororo’s side when Hank entered the room. Hank nodded when he noticed that she had quieted down a bit once the Wolverine was in the room. “I am going to see if Scott needs any help at the controls. The danger for shock has passed and I have given her a sedative, so she should be falling asleep any moment now. You will call me if there are any changes with her?”

“Yeah,” Logan replied distractedly, his senses focused on the injured helpless woman before him.

"Logan...Logan," Ororo moaned softly. Her eyes flickered open and she rested them on him as he knelt down over her, where she was lying on the low makeshift gurney.

"I’m here, darlin’,” he replied, reaching beneath the blankets to grab one of her hands and holding it between his. “How ya feel?” He asked gently.

She tried shifting to get a better look at him, but instead groaned in pain. "Ahh...I hurt.” She closed her eyes, whispering. “Are you going to stay with me?”

"If that’s what ya want, darlin’," he replied. Subconsciously, he brought her hand up to his lips and kissed her palm tenderly.

She smiled faintly, her eyes still closed. "Stay with me while I sleep…please Logan.”

“Sleep is probably the best thing fer ya right now, baby.” As an afterthought, he added. “I’ll be here ‘til we get home.”

Ororo appeared to relax then, a soft smile on her face. A few moments later, her rising chest and even breathing indicated that she was deep in slumber. She looked like a little child lying there, so delicate, so vulnerable, that an unquenchable need to protect her surge through him. Thinking about their current predicament, he held on to her hand for dear life as he stood knelt beside her, watching her chest rise and fall in the rhythm of sleep.





You must login () to review.