Author's Chapter Notes:
The fallout after their failed mission (companion piece to Failed Mission).
Chapter 27 “ Aftermath

Relationship Status “ pre

This is a companion piece to Chapter 24 “ Failed Mission

The desire to cause carnage was very great and only grew greater by the minute. He had to get the hell out of the mansion before he succumbed to his animalistic urges and hurt someone and at that given moment, all his rage was directed to one person only. Charles Xavier.

It was twenty four hours since they had returned from that failed mission and Ororo was still holed up in the med lab in a medically induced coma. Hank had beseeched Logan for enough blood, hoping that his regenerative abilities would have a healing effect on Ororo. Logan, who hated being poked and prodded, had reluctantly agreed. After, Hank had told them that her more serious injuries of a punctured lung and a torn liver and the immense blood loss compelled him to take such drastic action.

They had all returned home with one injury after another, having suffered at the hands of the Brotherhood who were well prepared against them this time and had handed them their collective hides. And it was all thanks to Xavier, their baldheaded telepathic leader who sent them into the mission blinded. Their mission was to stop the Brotherhood from gaining access to a prototype weapon that had the ability to alter the DNA of both humans and mutants, which was heavily guarded in an underground government laboratory. Xavier didn’t have much information, only sending them in on a hunch based on the thoughts and brainwaves he was able to pick up from some of the Brotherhood members and some scraps tossed to him by a government insider. They had no concrete plan, no idea of what they were up against. To say they were sitting ducks was the understatement of the year. When all was said and done, they had been beaten soundly, the Brotherhood had secured the weapon, Ororo was fighting for her life and he blamed their wheelchair bound mentor.

Logan wasn’t the only one that blamed the Professor for the mess they were now in, because not only did Magneto got his grubby hands on the dangerous weapon, but they would have to go in on yet another mission to stop him from activating the prototype and using it. Gambit too blamed Charles for everything that went wrong. He was particularly upset because he saw Ororo as his soeur and it was very heartbreaking for him watching her fight for her life. Mon Dieu! He was grateful that the Wolverine was there to save her from Sabertooth’s viciousness, in essence saving her life. It was very hard for him to see the damage that the animalistic mutant had inflicted on her and it was with pleasure that he had tossed a charged Ace of Hearts to the remains of the sadistic mutant that the Wolverine had left.

Logan knew that Charles knew that he was blamed for all that went wrong with the mission. Hell, he wasn’t the greatest telepath in the world for nothing. The man had wisely kept his distance from the unstable feral, which was fine with Logan because he knew that his rage wouldn’t allow him to keep his cool around the man who had basically given him another shot at life. So, he had spent most of his time avoiding everyone. He had to for everyone’s protection because in his current state, he was likely to hurt people and hurt them very badly. Instead, he spent his time running through the woods, meditating, practicing his martial arts skills, brooding in his room and unleashing his rage on hologramed enemies in the Danger Room.

It was odd that he wasn’t he feeling his usual restlessness and caving to his unquenched wanderlust. At the drop of a hat, he was packed and ready to hit the road. But why was he dragging his feet this time around? The pristine wild of his native Canada called out to him and he was sorely tempted to bolt, but something stopped him from giving into the temptation. He knew what that something that gave him pause was. Hell, he had given it name after rescuing her from Sabertooth’s clutches. However, he stubbornly refused to name it again, because he knew if he did, then he would have to bare his soul and come clean about a lot of things and that simply was something he was not ready for.

As he made his way to see her, he told himself that he would stay because she was his friend and he wanted to make sure that she would pull through before he took off. He offered a perfunctory nod to Hank, who was seated in the office one had to pass through before entering the medical room. Hank, automatically sensing that this was a moment he wasn’t supposed to be privy too, nodded back and left the room. As Logan made his way into the room she was currently in, he knew he was fooling himself with his trifling reasons for staying. Yeah, keep telling yourself that, bub.

Breathing a slow, silent sigh, he crossed the room and gazed down at her. His gut twisted painfully seeing her lying there hooked up to machines, helpless, unconscious. At that moment, he toyed with the idea of hunting down Sabertooth and ending it once and for all with the sadistic piece of shit, but he knew they had bigger fish to fry, namely finding Magneto and the damned prototype. But make no mistake, he would exact revenge on the vile mutant. His beast too, didn’t take to kindly to seeing her in said state, and clawed and scratched to be let loose. It took a significant amount of effort for Logan to suppress his beast, as he perused Ororo with steely gray eyes. If things were different...But they weren’t and there was no sense lamenting what couldn’t possibly be.

Leaning over her inert form, he was tempted to kiss her, but was afraid. Instead, he touched her lips lightly with his thumb. Christ! She was beautiful. The desire to utter the words he had never said to another soul was so great. He wanted to open his mouth and whisper them to this woman, but he couldn’t bring himself to do it. His jaw was hard with tension as he restrained himself from tossing caution to the wind and giving in to kissing her. It cost him tremendous effort, but he kept his features remote and his posture rigid.

Logan noticed through the glass windows separating the room and the office that Hank was back. It was his cue to leave. Halfheartedly, he turned away from her and grabbed the doorknob. Pushing the door opened, he gave Hank a hard stare. “Did my blood work?”

Hank returned his fellow feral’s stare. “Indeed, my friend. Our dear Ororo is healing at a rapid rate. If she continues healing at this pace, I will awaken her by tomorrow afternoon. Although, I do think that with the addition of your healing abilities, she should emerge from the coma without assistance.”

Logan nodded and slapped Hank on the shoulder before leaving. The news was good, but it did little to lighten his sour mood. Yeah, ‘cause ya’re goin’ ta leave her, bub. Once the door was closed behind him, he paused in the hallway, as the thought that he would be leaving her came to the forefront of his mind. He clenched his teeth to hold back a roar of anguish, instead electing to expansively curse his unlucky life and the tricks fate played on people.





You must login () to review.