Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan refuses to play by the book and leaves Ororo with no other choice.
Chapter 3 - Suspension

Relationship Status - pre


To say Ororo was pissed was the understatement of the year. The occupants of the blackbird were each grateful that they weren't Logan, knowing that once they reached their home, he would be on the receiving end of Storm's wrath. Logan sat in the back on the aircraft, seemingly unconcerned about the tension up front. Ororo co-piloted the blackbird with Scott, anger evident in her every movement. When the aircraft was safely docked at home, everyone, knowing what was about to transpire, scrambled to get off the blackbird. As they passed Logan, they gave him sympathetic looks, but he chose ignore them. He didn't need this shit, didn't need their censure of his actions.

Logan stood up and followed the team members exiting, but before he can fully descend from the aircraft, he was stopped by Ororo's clipped words. "Wolverine? I would like to speak with you. Now!"

Her tone brooked no argument. Logan rolled his eyes. Here we go again, he thought. "Can ya make this quick, Storm?"

Her patience was virtually gone and she was weary from the hard fought battle. She did not relish dealing with Logan and his idiotic antics, but as his team leader she had no choice but to deal with the problem now. She was fed up of having this same conversation with the feral mutant on a constant basis. "We have had this same conversation numerous times Wolverine. It is either you do not care or words have a tough time penetrating that thick metal-laced skull of yours."

"What yer so up in arms about Storm? Ya know if I didn't do what I did, ya would have been burying Gumbo."

"You did not follow protocol!" She angrily retorted. "When I give you an order in the field, I expect you to obey it, no questions!" Her outburst was punctuated by a deafening boom of thunder.

Logan growled, his anger quickly boiling to the surface. One thing he will never do is make excuses for who he was.“I am what I am Storm. Ya’ll knew this before ya ask me ta join this song and dance.”

Ororo rubbed the bridge of her nose, desperately trying to maintain a grip on her fragile control. “Your lone wolf tendencies endanger all of us out on the field.”

“Come off it Storm. My so called lone wolf tendencies have saved a few hides out in da damn field!” He bellowed, all pretense of humoring her out the door.

His arrogant retort was the last straw and Ororo simply erupted. “You know what Wolverine? As your team leader I have no choice but to do this. As of this moment you are officially suspended from the team. No more missions until you are reinstated by me. You got that through that metal head of yours?”

Even though he was expecting a reaction like this, he was genuinely surprised at her words. He stared at her for a few moments, barely trying to keep his anger contained. He rolled his neck and the metal responded. “Ya just did me da biggest favor Storm.” With that, he purposefully strode off the jet and headed to the locker room without a backward glance.

Ororo sighed, releasing the remaining tension. How in the world was she going to make him see that he was needed, that he was an integral part of their team, that he wasn’t alone anymore. She momentarily felt a pang of guilt when she realized that the suspension would more than likely be counterproductive and further alienate him. She sighed again, a headache now full blown. As she made her way off the jet, she contemplated how in the Goddess’ name she was going to make the oblivious Wolverine see that the team needed him, that the children needed him, that she needed him. She paused at her last thought, the realization of the intensity of her need hitting her full force. She was greatly disturbed knowing that the million dollar question for her now was, what the hell was she going to do?





You must login () to review.