Author's Chapter Notes:
Logan gives Ororo some comfort on a sad day.
Chapter 30 “ A Shoulder To Lean On

Relationship Status “ pre

The rancid amount of ozone and strong mixture of depressive emotions in the air were waging war on his senses. The rain beating against his window panes was relentless. The weather goddess was despondent and he wondered what the hell could have her in such state. She was the most emotionally stable person around here. Sure, she came off as coldhearted at times, but he had realized that was because her powers was linked to her emotions. It had been like that for the past two hours and he’d had enough.

Something deep inside of him stirred at that moment and encouraged him to go to her and offer her some sort of comfort, but a nagging voice quickly shouted at him why the hell should he care. Hell, he didn’t even like her and he was sure the feeling was mutual. They were always at each other’s throats about one thing or the other and by all appearances, only tolerated each other. They had been successful in avoiding each other since that big blow up they had after her return home from her date with one of Chuck’s visiting friends two weeks ago. He was hoping to keep on avoiding her but this was too much for his hyper senses and he was torn between going to her and ignoring her.

A few minutes later, his mind was made up. Dammit! He was about to find out what was the reason for her in this state. Flinging the sheet off of his nude body, he heaved his solid frame off of the bed, swinging his legs to the floor. Yawning, he absently scratched his chest and stretched lazily, enjoying the sound of his bones cracking. He glanced at the digital clock on the nightstand, 12:17 am. He bent down to grab the sweatpants and wife beater he had discarded earlier and quickly put them on.

He opened his room door a crack and peered out into the hallway, making sure there were no nosy busybodies running around at this hour. Stealthily as only he could, he made his way to the stairs leading up to her loft apartment. Unsure, he contemplated what he was about to do and why for the second time, until the scent of ozone floated down and hit him full blast. His mind made up, he took the stairs two at a time and was in front of her door in a matter of seconds.

Not bothering to knock, he pushed her door opened and those depressive scents hit him. Chief among them was an overwhelming amount of grief. He stepped into the room and softly closed the door. She was standing in front of the sliding doors leading to her balcony, her arms wrapped around her, hugging herself. He stood rooted at the entrance, in awe at what he was seeing. Even with her back turned to him, the woman was simply stunning, especially standing there in a white silk, or what he perceived to be silk night gown. The gown clung to her curves seductively and coupled with her hair running down her back made her look every bit the goddess she was thought to be back in Africa. He swore under his breath at the tightening in his sweatpants.

“What is it, Logan?” Her soft voice washed over him, making him feel light as a feather.

He shook his head and gathered his wits to focus on why he was there in the first place. “Ya don’t think the trees and plants got ‘nough water?”

“Why would you care, Logan?”

“Beats the hell outta me, ‘Ro,” he answered honestly.

Ororo laughed softly. The sound, although tinged with sadness, was hypnotic, luring him to her. Without thought, he slowly walked closer to where she stood.

She turned to him, when she felt his presence approaching. With a snowy eyebrow cocked, she murmured, “I can always depend on you for your honesty.”

He kept right on with that honesty. “Why ya so depress, darlin’?”

Her silence was unnerving and he thought that she wasn’t going to say another word to him. Shrugging his shoulders, he turned to leave her alone, when her soft voice drifted to him. “Why do you care?”

Logan turned back to face her. “Look, ‘Ro, it ain’t my business, but even I know when ya’re not yer usual uptight self.”

A poignant smile played about the corners of her mouth and her eyes filled with powerful tears. Sighing, she walked over to sit on the edge of her bed. She combed both hands through her mass of hair, twisting her head on her neck to ease the tension of grief as wide and deep as a chasm that continuously broke her heart. “Am I not entitled to my grief?”

“Ya’re entitled ta whatever it is ya wanna feel. But somethin’ ain’t quite right wid ya.”

Ororo looked up at him, leveling him with cobalt eyes. She was attempting to get a good read on him, as impossible a task as it was. What was he really doing in her room? Was this a dream to further torment her? “Well, Logan, if you must know, today, well, rather yesterday, was been a rather trying day. It was the anniversary of my parents’ untimely death.”

Logan nodded. He had gathered bits and pieces about her from the gossip mills around the school and Charles. He had found out that her folks died when a plane crashed into the building they were staying in Cairo, Egypt. Her father was instantaneously killed and her mother died a day later, cradling Ororo’s young body, protecting her. Ororo was only five at the time.

“I’m sorry, darlin’,” he muttered, as he tentatively walked over to join her on the bed. The bed dipped with his enormous body weight. He eased closer to her, so that their knees were touching.

“I know that it should be a distant memory as it has been over twenty years after all. Am I a glutton for punishment carrying on this way every year?” She asked.

“Ya loved yer folks, ‘Ro. It’ll be unfair ta ask ya ta stop lovin’ them and grievin’ them even if it’s been a long time since they’ve been gone.”

Tears settled in her eyes at his words. They may not like each other much, but she appreciated his perceived words of comfort.

“Will the pain ever go away?”

He tested the waters by scooting closer to her and lightly touched her hair, inhaling her intoxicating scent. When she didn’t retreat, he took that as a good sign and placed his burly arm around her shoulders, pulling her to him. “I’m the wrong person ta ask that question, ‘Ro. But, I know that havin’ happy memories can help dull the pain. The pain is always goin’ ta be there, but it’s up ta ya ta decide if ya want that pain ta be a focal point of yer life.”

His body was warm and inviting and she snuggled closer to him. Later, when she was able to think rationally, she’ll think about why her traitorous body felt the desire to be close to him. “Words of wisdom from the great Wolverine?”

He chuckled. “More like words of experience. My life is a mess right now with the lack of memories I have. The memories I do have, I want ta ferget, but that’s not goin’ ta happen. All I can do is create new memories so that those bad ones I do remember don’t take hold. It’s a constant struggle, but I’m managin’.”

Ororo turned to look at him, a surprised look on her face. Who would have thought that the rough, rude and crude Wolverine was so philosophical?

He answered her unspoken question. “Hey, I’m learnin’ some new tricks at this circus.”

She gave him a brilliant smile. “I am glad to hear that, Logan.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek lightly. “Thank you. Thank you for giving me a shoulder to lean on.”

His beast howled inwardly at the feel of her lips on his skin. It took everything in him not to reach up and touch the cheek where she had pressed her lips too. Spearing her with sterling gray eyes, confusion coupled with longing was evident. “Ya gonna be ok?”

Bewilderment and uncertainty marred her beautiful features too, as she felt the currents of desire pulsing all around them. Those feelings that she felt for him and that betrayed her body that night two weeks ago were quickly rising again. “Yes, I shall be fine. Thank you again, Logan. Now, if you do not mind, I am going to turn in.”

Logan simply nodded. So great was his confusion and craving to ravish her delectable mouth, that he was having a hard time forming proper words. He released her and stood swiftly, tampering down a raw growl of possessiveness. Refusing to look back at her, he made his way to the door, grateful for the darkness that hid his response to her. Hell! He could no longer deny it. He could no longer deny the fact that he wanted her.





You must login () to review.