Author's Chapter Notes:
After Ororo recovers from her attack by Sabertooth, she seeks Logan out only to find out he’s gone.
Chapter 36 “ Recovery

Relationship Status “ pre

Hank gave Ororo the one thing she had been waiting for the past week…approval to leave the medlab where she had been hold up since being attacked by Sabertooth during that failed mission. Her wounds were completely healed thanks to her own healing abilities coupled with the addition of Logan’s rare blood. Except for minor muscle aches and pains, she was able to get out of the bed, albeit slowly and move on her own accord.

“Thank you, Henry,” she said. “I am very happy to finally be out of here.”

“You are welcome, my lovely Ororo,” Hank replied kindly. “I am just happy that you have healed.”

“Thanks to you.”

“And to Logan as well,” Hank replied absently. “He was the one who did what was needed at the beginning and also his blood aided in your rapid recovery. Your own healing ability together with his is something I do believe possess great possibilities. I would love the opportunity to study it more, granted both of your consent of course.”

Ororo’s heart rate sped up at the mention of Logan’s name and she was sure that Hank with his feral abilities heard it. When she had awoken, she was told that she had been unconscious for almost four days. Nothing came to her as she tried to remember the events of that critical mission. The only thing she had a clear memory of was being in the triage room of the blackbird with Logan holding her hand, while asking her how she was feeling. He had then kissed the palm of her hand tenderly when she had practically begged him to stay with her. She also remembered that at that moment, she had never felt so safe and secure in her entire life.

“Just promise me that you will take it easy. If I see that you are not, I will be forced to sequester you here.” Hank’s request brought her out of her musings.

“Noooo,” Ororo groaned. “You would not be that cruel to me, would you Henry?”

“If I must, then I shall, my dear.” Hank moved to begin stripping the bed of the used linens. When Ororo made a move to help him, he shooed her away. “Ororo, please go and get reacquainted with Mother Nature. You have not done so since that mission and I am sure she misses you.”

Hank sobered when he heard her sharp intake of breath. “I am sorry, my dear. I did not mean to bring forth any sour memories.”

She forced a smile. “It is alright, Henry. I shall have to get use to it.”

Hank gave her an adorable feline smile. “Go on and get out of here and please remember to take it easy and rest when you feel the need too.”

“Aye aye, captain,” Ororo mock saluted him before she turned and walked out of the room.

Ororo took the elevator up to the upper levels of the mansion. Carefully, she stepped off the elevator on the second floor. She turned to the left, where the teachers’ rooms were located and toyed with the idea of going to Logan’s room. As quickly as the thought entered her mind, she squashed it, wanting to be in a better frame of mind before she saw him. Turning right, she gingerly made her way to the stairs that led up to her loft. So far, she seemed to be doing well, but her legs were a still a bit shaky. She gripped the banister as she climbed the steps, thinking of the long relaxing bath that was way overdue. After her bath, then she would rest in her bed before she went out for a walk to get reacquainted with Mother Nature as Hank had suggested.

As she entered her loft, undressed and prepared her bath, her mind kept bouncing back and forth to Logan. As per Hank, he had saved her life, not once, but twice. He had saved her from Sabertooth, carrying her back to the blackbird and had taken care of her wounds until Henry had gotten to her. Then back at the medlab, he had then supplied Hank with enough blood to kick start her own healing factor.

As she lowered her nude body into the tub filled with piping hot water infused with healing lavender oil, she couldn’t help but think about what all this meant for her and Logan going forward. Their relationship had most certainly evolved into one of friendship and mutual respect after surpassing the initial setbacks with each other. But who was she kidding? If she was honest with herself, she would admit that what she felt for the unstable feral surpassed friendship.

She sighed as the hot water and oil went to work on her aching body. Logan. Logan. Logan. The man, despite his brusqueness and unpredictability, had seeped into her system and there had been no way for her to stop it. Truth be told, she didn’t want to stop it, because from the very beginning, his primal nature had called out to hers and awaken it, immediately stirring something incredibly raw and vital within her…something that she had quickly realized was unadulterated love. She had been rendered powerless and had no choice but to succumb to it. However, she chose to do nothing about it, because it was a given that he didn’t feel the same way about her, as his dogged pursuit of Jean Grey proved. She knew then her feelings were unrequited. It was a tough pill to swallow, but she sucked it up and moved on with her life.

As her body became more relaxed in the water, memories of the mission slowly rickled through her mind. She was going to die, was her last thought as Sabertooth’s hulking form crushed her and he used his talons to mutilate her. That was before she heard Logan’s vicious roar of rage and never before had she heard such a wonderful sound. As the Wolverine mercilessly shredded Sabertooth, she remembered drifting in and out of consciousness while weakly calling for someone to help her. He had issued orders to Gambit and then taken her back to the jet, where he cared for her until Beast came and took over. She remembered the tenderness he exhibited as he took care of her and his gruff voice offering words of comfort and endearments. She remembered being quite frantic when he had left her in Hank’s care and Hank had no choice but to fetch him in order to help calm her. The most memorable part of that experience was him gently holding her hand and pressing a loving kiss to her palm, as he reassured her, while the drugs took her under into slumber. In that very moment, Logan was no longer a savage beast, but a tender lover.

As the memories came back to her, so did thoughts about the possibility that Logan may feel something for her. But she refused to believe that, choosing instead to believe that he was simply being friendly and proving aid to a fallen comrade, as he had done for many of them in previous battles. It was just his nature to save lives, as he had pointed out to her many times when he had deviated from orders. But what if Logan felt something besides friendship for her? Her heart thumped loudly and faster in her chest. No way, there was simply no way that he felt more for her. Impossible! Not Logan and certainly not her. He was all about Jean. But…wasn’t it worth a shot finding out?

Ororo arose from the now lukewarm water and reached for a towel. Stepping out of the tub, she dried herself off and padded nakedly to her closet. With a new purpose in mind, she resolved to seek him out and entice him into accompanying her on her walk, where they will be afforded some privacy for the conversation she was sure to have with him. With pep in her step, she was suddenly impatient to see him. Hurriedly but cautiously, she completed her toilette, manipulating her hair into a ponytail and downing a pair of dark blue jeans, a short-sleeved button down white shirt and black ballet flats.

Boldly and gracefully, she made her way down to the teachers’ wing and was standing before Logan’s room door in a matter of minutes. The faint scent of cigars and leather drifting up from the space underneath the door into the hallway was comforting. Before she could raise her hand to knock on the door, Xavier’s telepathic words stopped her.

*My dear.* Charles paused. Ororo didn’t need to be a genius to understand the significance of his pause. * Logan is not here.*

Ororo frowned, unease settling over her. *Oh…Where is he? Is he on a mission?*

She felt Xavier’s reluctance in relaying the following. *He has left. He said that he needed some time away*

Her heart clenched and her breath escaped her in a rush. *I see.*

Charles heard the sadness in her voice and set about to reassure her. *I am positive he will return when he is ready*

*Yes. Thank you for letting me know, Charles.*

Charles slipped from her mind as easily as he had entered. With a heavy sigh, Ororo turned away from the door and made her way back up to her loft. Her exuberance at seeing Logan quickly turned to despondency and dejection. Well this certainly proved her right. He sure as hell didn’t feel anything besides friendship for her. And that hurt…hurt to the quick.

As she reentered her loft, the doubts and fears quickly took hold of her. She was unworthy of attracting the love of a loyal, loving man. She was obviously doomed to live a perpetual life of singleness and loneliness, never to have her desires for a stable home, a family and security fulfilled. And so it continues, she mused, she would have to be content with her lackluster, emotionally-controlled life. There was no other choice for her now but to let go of her feelings for the Canadian and bury them very deep. There was nothing left for her to do now, but to accept her lot in life. It was heart wrenching to say the least, but she was going to continue to do what she had been doing…suck it up and settle for being his friend.





You must login () to review.