Author's Chapter Notes:
Part 1 of a trilogy of sorts. Logan's POV. He comforts Ororo during her time of need, all the time wrestling with whether or not to reveal his feelings for her.
Chapter 6 - All That Matters - Part I - Logan

Relationship Status - pre


Logan shook his head in an effort to clear it. Maybe his senses coupled with the unexpected rainstorm were playing a dirty trick on him. He sniffed the air again and that unmistakable, intoxicating scent was more prominent than ever. That rousing mixture of sandalwood, rain and jasmine, that both calm and excite him. It belonged to one woman, his heart. Ororo. His unrequited love was standing just beyond the door outside his hideaway cabin. How she knew he was here, he didn’t know and frankly he didn’t give a flamin’ damn. All he had to do was open the door and claim her, as was and still remains his deepest desire. But before he gave into his compulsion, the thought that was at the forefront of his mind for the past six months struck him full force. She was getting married. Forever unattainable to him. So what the flamin’ hell was she doing here? Rage bubbled up inside of him. Did she come here to drive him further into despair? To drive the final nail in his coffin? Didn’t she realize that he didn’t stick around, couldn’t stick around to see her get hitched to that undeserving Maker because his heart was breaking? Of course not, bub. She never wanted an animal like us.

Logan released the breath he didn’t realize he was holding. He was going to open the door and let the remaining pieces of his heart shatter. He was definitely a glutton for punishment. He steeled himself, preparing for the onslaught of emotions that would assault him and opened the door. A concoction of emotions overcame him when he saw her disheveled state. Anger, love, hope, fear, empathy. Ororo stepped inside the door and closed it behind her. She turned around and stood there, her eyes, devoid of emotion focused on him. Her hair was wet and silkily draped her cheeks, neck and shoulders. Her chambray shirt and stone washed jeans were soaked and plastered against her skin. Her nipples peaked hard from the cold and rain. He had a helluva time keeping his eyes away from her chest. His eyes immediately crashed into her desolate ones when he heard a broken sob escape her. He schooled his features into a more neutral appearance and opened his arms wide, which she stepped into.

The tears threatening to fall since she left Westchester immediately poured forth when she walked into his solid, strong, secure embrace. With one hand, Logan cradled her head into his chest while the other encircled her quaking frame. Her torrent of tears spilled out, drenching his flannel shirt, but he didn’t care. He will rant and rave at her later, when they were both calm. Now was the time for him to offer the woman he loved all the comfort and support at his disposal. After what seemed like hours, but in actuality was a few minutes, she quieted down, the only noise coming from her was her soft hiccups. Logan gently picked her up and walked over to his leather recliner and sat with her on his lap.

Ororo removed her head from his chest and looked into his eyes. Those wonderful, expressive steel gray eyes of his that always gave her a warm flush. “I did not know where else to go. I just got into my car and drove here, hoping you were here.”

Logan sighed. “Why didn’t ya call me? I should flay yer ass for comin’ here by yerself.”

She lowered her eyes apologetically. “I know you would not turn me away and I had to leave. I could not stay at the mansion any longer.”

Logan placed his thumb and index finger under her chin, forcing her to look at him. He rubbed his thumb across her lower lip and she closed her eyes at the marvelous sensation. “Ya know I would never turn ya away, ‘Ro. But I worry about ya. ‘Specially when ya in a state like ya are now.”

He saw her eyes welled up with more tears. “Don’t go cryin’ on me again, ‘Ro. Do I have ta hurt that husband a yers?” He silently cursed and knew he had hit the nail on the head when she started bawling again. An overwhelming urge to go in search of Forge and tear the bastard limb from limb overtook him, but as quickly as it came, it left as he clasped the fragile creature in his arms. He would wait to find out what that unworthy fool did to her. The wait would probably kill him, but he’ll do it nonetheless. What mattered now was consoling his beautiful goddess, who came to him in her time of need.

She quieted down after a few minutes. “I am pathetic, Logan,” she said rather pitifully.

Logan drew back and pushed her away from him so he can get a good look at her, unsure he heard her correctly. “Huh?”

She wasn’t looking at him when she uttered those laughable words. “Look at me, ‘Ro,” he grated. It chafed him, made him downright angry to know this was the opinion she had of herself and somehow knew Forge fanned the flames of that low opinion. He was definitely going to find great pleasure in gutting the tinkerer. “Yer not pathetic. Yer a beautiful, intelligent, loving, sexy woman.” He knew he was wearing his heart on his sleeve, but at this point, he didn’t give a rat’s ass. This was his opportunity to finally share with her what was in his heart and to claim the woman he has loved for so long. Let the chips fall where they may.

Ororo’s heartbeat quickened at his praise and she offered him a shy smile. “Thank you.”

He gave her his trademark grin in return. “Ya gonna tell me why I shouldn’t beat ya for pullin’ this stunt and comin’ here by ya lonesome? Where’s ya husband, ‘Ro?”

She took in a few deep breaths in an effort to remain calm. Mother Nature was already wreaking havoc outside and she sure didn’t need any further assistance from her. “I do not know where Forge is Logan.”

Logan brows furrowed and the hairs on the back of his neck raised in anticipation of her next words. “We are not married.” He sat up ramrod straight, disbelief evident on his face. “Come again, darlin’.”

Ororo slowly rose from her position on his lap. She began pacing in front of him. Logan watched her with what he was sure was a quizzical look on his face. He refused to acknowledge the hammering of his heart and the utter joy he felt at hearing her words. His beast, however, rejoiced. You better not blow this, bub. Mate! Her pacing subsided and she stood directly in front of him, sterling gray eyes were held captive by sky blue ones, as she unfolded the sordid tale to him. “Forge was unfaithful to me Logan. I caught him having sex with another woman at the condo we were going to share after we were married.”

Logan shot up off the recliner to stand directly in front of her. Anger was evident on his face as he swiftly hauled her to him and hugged her. “I’m gonna gut da bastard,” he stated angrily.

She smiled into his shirt, knowing his anger was on her behalf. “That would not be necessary Logan. I have severed all ties with him.”

He pushed her away from him to peer into her eyes. “I’m sorry darlin’. Ya of all people shouldn’t hafta go through somethin’ like this. He didna deserve ya ‘Ro.”

She accepted his words of comfort with a watery smile. “You know, I am glad that I found out before I pledged my life to him. It saved me a lot of heartache that way.”

“But ya still hurtin’. I don’t like ta see ya hurt.”

She placed a hand on both sides of his face and caressed his whiskered cheeks. With that beautiful smile he like to think she reserved only for him, she replied, “I know that you do not Logan. But in life, we all must hurt in order to fully appreciate and love the things and people we have in our lives.”

His heart thumped painfully in his chest. Having her this close, wanting to fuse his mouth with hers was slowly driving him insane. He gave her a lopsided smile. At that very moment, he realized that all that matters, all that ever mattered was the sensual, exotic, loving woman in his arms. He, the flamin’ Wolverine had to let go of the of the fear, the fear that he’s held onto for long, in an effort to convince himself that he was undeserving of love and happiness and that she could never love a tainted animal like him. All he had to do was reveal the depth of his feelings for her, open his heart, body and soul to her. His heart. His soulmate. It was now or never Wolverine. He went for broke.





You must login () to review.