Chapter 4

He poured every ounce of love he held for his Goddess into the project which, as Charles had stated, was bound to send shockwaves through the mansion and its residents. However, he was only concerned with sending shockwaves through one particular white haired weather witch. With the utmost resolve to see his labor of love from beginning to end, he began his work as soon as he got the go ahead from the Professor and permission from the city. He tirelessly worked through the middle of the fall season, the surprisingly mild winter and warm spring months to transform the old one thousand square feet cottage into a modern two story brick/frame, four bedrooms, three and a half baths, and two car garage home nestled between the oak, sycamore and hickory trees that took up residence on the property. As the lot of land was extensive and taking into account Ororo’s claustrophobia, he almost tripled the home in terms of square footage. The bottom floor boasted a huge open gourmet kitchen decked out with quartz countertops and solid wood cabinets, a chef's island and breakfast nook. A formal dining room, large family room with a fireplace, half bath and library/office rounded out the first floor. The second floor was home to the impressive master suite, which featured two walk in closets, another fireplace encircled by a romantic sitting area, a unique skylight and a luxury master bathroom complete with a waterfall shower, marble tub and his and hers sinks. A balcony was added to the master suite, with enough space for her plants. The remaining three bedrooms, two bathrooms and hall closets completed the top floor. For good measure, Logan had remodeled the unfinished basement of the cottage to reveal a laundry room and gym. Outside, redwood decking was extended for several yards beyond the house to the lawn, which was already landscaped. Only a greenhouse was missing. He would leave it up to Ororo to decide if she wanted a new one. As Charles was footing the bill, the home was equipped with all modern appliances, amenities and furniture. No cost was spared.

Logan was very pleased with the end result, but he was unsure as to how it will be received by Ororo. Will she love it? He certainly hoped so. While he was working on building her home, he did manage to slowly coax her out of her gloom by seeking her input on things such as color schemes, appliances, furniture styles and decorative motifs. She had no clue that it was all for her, as he had told her that he was doing Charles a favor by helping a friend of his. It warmed his heart to see the small smiles return to her beautiful face and the light slowly return to her eyes. He hoped he will have his Ororo back once all was divulged to her.

However, before his ultimate reveal to Ororo, he had to give Charles the grand tour. On the second day of summer, he drove the Professor down the winding road he had secretly petitioned the city to aptly rename “Goddess Drive”, which led to Ororo’s new home. The renaming of the road was his personal gift to her, and besides, he wanted her to have an address of her own. One that wasn’t 1407 Graymalkin Lane, Salem Center, New York. Charles was kept well-informed of Logan’s progress as per their agreement. As the project neared completion, the anticipation to see the finished product began to build inside of him. As Logan was a master builder, Charles knew he would be in for a treat, but how much of a treat he didn’t know. He was beyond excited as Logan drove him down the road which led to the home. He caught sight of the road’s name. He didn’t remember that particular road ever having a name. He turned his head to Logan in silent inquiry. Logan smiled sheepishly. “I petitioned the city ta rename it fer her.”

Xavier laughed out loud. “Quite an appropriate name, I should say.”

Logan remained silent as he drove the remaining distance. Charles was flabbergasted, as the structure came into view. What his eyes beheld was more than a home. It was a palace fit for a queen, or in this case a Goddess. Charles was sure his mouth was hanging open in astonishment, as he feasted his eyes on 1 Goddess Drive, Salem Center, New York. “Oh my heavens!”

Logan braked the car in the curved driveway that was lined with plants. “Like it?”

As Logan came around to assist him out of the X-Van, he answered, “This certainly exceeded my expectations, Logan.”

Xavier gazed appreciatively at the house as he maneuvered his wheelchair to follow Logan to the entrance of the home. The address was etched on a brass plate that was attached firmly to the massive cherry wood front door.

“She’s ready ta her mail delivered.”

“Stained-glass windows on both sides of the front door? I am jealous.”

Logan laughed. “Come on in, Chuck. See our handiwork.”

Charles felt as if he had entered the pages of Architectural Digest. The house had been built for comfort and convenience. The rooms were spacious, but had a feeling of warmth about them.

“I do believe our dear Ororo will be blown away.”

“That is the plan.”

“I cannot believe it, Logan,” Charles continued in awe. “You have done wonders with what was here before. It is truly beautiful.”

Uncomfortable with the praise, Logan shrugged. “Well, sorry ya can’t get ta see upstairs. When the elf comes back, he can port ya up.”

“Do not worry about it. From what I have already seen, I am sure the upstairs is as perfect as downstairs. Besides, I am positive I will get the ultimate grand tour soon.”

“Ya really think ‘Ro would like it?”

“I am confident she will love it. Like I said before it is sure to send shockwaves through her. It was money well spent.”

“I hope so, Chuck. I want her ta be happy.”

“We all want that for her. When will you reveal all to her?”

Logan shook his head. “I’m not sure. Don’t know where ta start.”

Charles stared at Logan for a moment, taking in his unease and uncertainty. “Keep it simple, Logan. Just be honest with her about everything. He added cryptically, “You may be surprised.”

Logan eyebrows shot up at Charles’ last statement. Charles definitely knew something and he was not telling. “Ya ready ta get back ta the mansion?”

“Yes. I have a telephone conference scheduled.”

Logan turned to walk back towards the front door, but the feel of Charles’ hand on his arm stopped him. He turned towards his mentor turned friend. He was surprised to see the sheen of moisture in Charles’ eyes. A look of understanding passed between the two men. Logan knew that getting caught up in this emotional moment would lead to him losing control. So before that happened, he opted for humor. “Shit, Chuck. Don’t go all pansy on me now.”

Charles chuckled. “Yes, the fearless Wolverine would never let me live it down.” As he wheeled his chair to follow Logan out, Charles couldn’t help but wish to be present when the brusque Canadian admit his love to Ororo. He would gladly pay money to see that.





You must login () to review.