Chapter 6

Her response was barely above a whisper, but thanks to his keen hearing, he heard her. He watched as a myriad of emotions played across her beautiful face, her simple answer filling him with hope. He stared fixedly at her, feeling as if he was about to explode from some sort of internal combustion. Her meek answer offered comfort and hope and quieted all his doubts.

He approached her slowly, quietly, hoping she’ll say more. She was shaking like a leaf as he came to stand before her. “’Ro?”

She came apart.

Logan was at a lost, as he felt the raindrops fall as the weather mistress cried. “’Ro?” He repeated her name. His eyes were staring into hers, peeling away layer after layer of defense until he reached her soul. “Talk ta me, darlin’.”

Not thinking, only wishing to end the torment that had completely unnerved her, she cried out, “I cannot do this anymore, Logan.”

“Can’t do what anymore?”

“Pretend.”

His hands came up to touch her hair reverently. She couldn’t turn away. Her brain was telling her to step back, to take flight, but her body refused to obey. Instead, she surrendered to the moment. She didn’t even try to fight, didn’t want to fight the compulsion that swept her into his arms.

“Fuck, ‘Ro.”

Apparently, he was as baffled by what was happening as she was. His voice was uneven and thin, lacking its usual gruffness.

Enfolded in his secure warmth, Ororo held on for dear life. A sense of peace came over her as she realized this is where she belonged. In the arms of the man she loved. Logan closed his arms tighter around her, content to just hold her this way.

After a few moments, Ororo composed herself and wriggled out of his embrace. She looked into the eyes she loved, into the face that bespoke such strength and courage. She wrapped her arms around him and pressed her cheek against his heart. How could she not tell him she loved him? She said a silent prayer to the Goddess for that last ounce of courage she needed.

At the same time, Logan was fighting his own battle with his feral. His animal was howling its impatience at the man dragging his feet in claiming its mate. Right then and there, he decided to stop playing games. He needed the woman he held in his arms and come hell or high water, he was going to make her realize that she needed him just as much and they can have it all together.

“Fuck,” he whispered.

Ororo withdrew from his embrace upon hearing his blasphemy. They looked at each other and the truth of what they were feeling for each other was revealed. Raw need and desire crackled between them. She backed up a few steps away from him, but he followed her. He heard her racing heart beat and caught her unmistaken scent or arousal. He breathed deeply, as if her scent was the source of his mortality. Any doubts that remained were erased.

“I do not want to pretend anymore, Logan,” she whispered.

“I know, darlin’,” he responded in kind.

“I am tired of pretending, tired of denying.”

She inhaled deeply to gather her thoughts. “I…I…”

The curling of his lips into that familiar, crooked half smile propelled her full steam ahead. She hoped her gamble paid off. “Logan. I need to tell you something. It is quite possibly the most important thing I have ever told anyone.”

“I’m listenin’, ‘Ro.”

She reached out with a small slender hand and stroked his whiskered cheek. He tilted his head into her gentle caress and closed his eyes. Shakily, breathlessly, she asked, “Do you only see me as your friend? Your team mate?”

Logan opened his eyes and leveled her with an intense stare, so potent, that it left no uncertainties as to what his answer would be. “Darlin’, there are so many things I see ya as. Friend and team mate ain’t the first that come ta mind when I think ‘bout ya or see ya.”

Complete and intense joy was evident on her face. Her eyes held his captive. “Oh Logan, Logan,” she chanted, “I was afraid of revealing how I felt about you. I did not want to ruin our friendship.”

“Fuck, ‘Ro. I’ve wanted ya fer so long,” he replied. “Ya don’t know how much.”

“Logan.” Her quiet voice was like a caress. She captured his face between her hands and gently traced the contours of his lips. “I love you. I have loved you since the beginning.”

His beast howled. Fuck yes!

He growled. “Ah, God.” He crushed her to him, rocking her back and forth slowly. His fingers laced through her hair to fit over her scalp and pressed her face against his chest. His lips brushed over her hair in a fervent kiss.

After a while, he lifted her chin with his thumb. His finger followed the shape of her hairline. “You’re so damn beautiful.” He mouthed the words rather than saying them, but she understood. “I love the blue color of yer eyes, the shape of yer mouth.” He outlined it with his fingertip. “Yer hair is soft and beautiful that I wanna run my fingers through it all the time.” He leaned into her and pressed his lips against hers. “You deserve ta be loved, ‘Ro, by someone who appreciates the woman ya are. Let me be that someone. Let me love ya.”

Tears were streaming down her face, as his words filled her with emotion. “Yes, Logan. Yes.”

He interlaced his fingers with hers and positioned their joined hands on either side of her head as he moved forward and trapped her between himself and a tree. She was a willing captive, meeting the smoldering glow of his eyes with her own.

For heart racing, thunderous moments they looked at each other. The enormity of the moment sizzling between them. Their raspy breathing echoed in the stillness of the woods. When he finally lowered his mouth to hers, her lips were parted and waiting. He whispered her name a heartbeat before their mouths fused. He stroked the lining of her mouth delicately with his tongue and matched the movement with his fingertips on her opened palms. He kissed her with drugging passion. His hands slid into the back pockets of her cutoffs and squeezed her backside, drawing her closer to his erection. Provocatively, he moved against her and she reciprocated.

He broke the kiss, realizing their need for air. “I want ta be inside ya,” he said on an agonized breath. “Deep inside ya.”

She had never experience such a fervent kiss before and it flared renewed life within her. She swayed, still recovering from his fervor. “I want that too.”

He captured her hands and brought them to his mouth, kissing each fingertip. “There is somethin’ else, ‘Ro.”

Her brows furrowed. Was he backing out of this already? He gave her one of his rare smiles, dispelling her doubts. “I needed ta find a way ta show ya how much ya mean ta me. Somethin’ just fer ya.”

She lifted her brows, intrigued. “Really? What is it, my love?”

“Follow me, darlin’.” He clasped her hand tightly and led her the remaining distance to what he hoped was their abode, their future. As they approached the final path to the clearing, he dropped her hand and snaked his arm around her waist. Together, they walked to the clearing, arms around each other.

“Goddess!” She exclaimed when the house came into view.





You must login () to review.