Day 45 Trial? Monday

'I am not sure what day it is, and I have no recollection of which procedure I endured today. I am losing my mind and I know it because of the serum they are putting in me. I can't remember little events. I can't seem to remember the last few years. The only recent memory I recall would be when Pete tried to teach kitty how to cook. It came out complete, but it was not edible.' Ororo's thoughts were jumbled as she tried to think of the previous years but to no avail.

She gazed at the ceiling as the turret system shut off. Alerting her of her visitor and her meal for the night. She turned her head as she saw X-23 come into the cell. She brought a steel chair as she sat it down near the opening of the cell. Ororo sat up slowly as she eased her shoulder to work. She thought fast as X-23 tossed her a sandwich that she had hidden in her inner jacket pocket.

"Thank you." She said as she unwrapped the meal. She didn't ask any questions. She was content with the silence and surprising comforting atmosphere that the girl brought with her.

"What was he like?" Ororo was surprised by her statement as she swallowed the bit of sandwich in her mouth.

"Who?" She places the sandwich down beside her on the cot as she gave her undivided attention to her.

"My father." X-23 held no emotion as she said this as if it was programmed for her to ask these questions. Ororo didn't know how to react. She didn't know if this was still a ploy to get her to give up information or what.

"I can't give you the answers you are looking for." She said as she looked at her hopefully. "What is your name? If I may ask?" The girl gave no answer but shrugged her shoulders. "Surely you have a name child."

X-23 shifted in her seat as she tried to find the right thing to say or nothing at all. "Laura."

"It is a beautiful name. Did your mother-" Ororo was interrupted as X-23 got up abruptly as she opened the cell door. 'Good job Ororo.' Ororo shifted on her cot as she shielded the sandwich away from the camera as she started to finish her meal.

~~~~~~~~~

Day 50? Trial? Saturday

Ororo stared at the wall as she tried to will her mind out of the dark place that was her prison as a child. She heard the clang of the door closing behind her, but she could not make her body move to see the person.

X-23 looked at the woman curled in the corner of the room. She couldn't figure out why she wanted to talk to her, but she felt a small pull to the woman. "My mother wasn't my mother. I have no mother."

"Everyone has a mom. Whether blood or not." Ororo sighed as she tried to grasp at her sanity.

"I killed her because she caused harm." She said slowly as she tried to recall the person that claimed to be her mother.

"A mother should be caring-"

"She died because she was caring." X-23 paused as she tried to comprehend the words coming out of her mouth. "She cared for me." She whispered as she thought to herself. She shook her head as she tried to address the woman sitting across from her. "You need to stop caring or you will die too." She said as she clenched her fists beside her.

"If I care I die. If I stop caring I'll die." She declared as she finally turned from her corner. "It is only a matter of time that they realize that themselves. They can suppress you all they want but, in the end, everyone cares. It's ok to care." Ororo said as she leaned on the wall for support unaware of the turret system coming back online.

"You have quite a way with words, my dear. You have said enough for today." The colonel said as Brinks and the other soldier from before came and took her up.

"Haven't you done enough for one day." She said as she fell limp in their arms.

"Not when you put my work in jeopardy." He said as they dragged her body out of the cell. He then turned to X-23 to address her actions. "Do I need to be concerned?"

"No, sir." She said as she made eye contact with him.

~~~~~~~~~

"Don't. Please don't." Ororo said as she tried to lift her arms off the table but to no avail.

"No need to beg now. You brought this upon yourself. It saddens me that you would not cooperate willingly. Any last words." He said as the doctor finished preparing the serum.

"Go to hell." She said breathlessly as she lay prone on the table. He glared at her last act of defiance as he nodded his head for the injection.

The doctor injected the serum into her body causing her to react to the toxin by gasping deeply for air. She lurched up from the table as the serum ran its course throughout her body. Thomas looked on unfazed as he watched her convulse on the table.

"Another one." He said as she started to slowly come down from her attack.

"Sir, we have never done two in one session. We would not know how it will affect the process of her memories."

"And I said do it. If you question me again there will be severe consequences. Now do it."

"Yes, sir." The doctor prepared another needle that will soon help purge her mind. Leaving her acceptable to any manipulation needed to add her to the strike team he is assembling.

~~~~~~~~~

X-23 sliced one of the training dummies that the compound had as she vented out some of her rage. Each swipe left little imagination of what she was furious about. Colonel Thomas stood at a respectable distance as he watched her knowing when to not get in her way.

"X-23." He called out to her but she paid him no mind as she moved to her next target dummy. "X-23!" As soon as he said those words she sliced the head off the dummy. The head rolled to a stop a few feet in front of him.

"Why can't I remember her?" She stood tense as she clenched her fist so hard her nails drew blood from her hand.

"Because you asked us to help you forget. Those people that created you made you kill her. She had information that would expose them for what they did to you." He slowly walked to her as he relayed the story back to her. "That is when we swooped in to save you. Now you work with us to stop those who wish to cause harm. Humans and mutants alike." Thomas stopped in front of her as she took in the information.

"Then why not let me kill her and be done with this." She exclaimed.

"There was a chance that we could help her and in turn, she would help us." Thomas shifted in his spot as X-23 retracted her claws. "Are you with us?" She gave a curt nod as she sidestepped him to exit the area as Brinks walked in.

"Everything ok boss." He said as he reclipped the latch of his pistol to his side.

"Everything is going according to plan." He gave Brinks a firm pat on the shoulder.





You must login () to review.