*Voices in head*

"No." Logan eyed her.

"Do you honestly think I'm joking Logan? Where is she then? Cause she sure as hell isn't here!" Kitty said as she glared at him

"He didn't know. You cannot fault the man for what he had no control over." Peter said

Logan paced back-and-forth trying to comprehend what they had just told him. She can't be gone.

"You're wrong. She is still out there. Storm can't die." He said shaking his head. She can't leave him too.

"We went back. We searched…" Kitty said as she got choked up. She stood from her seat and began to walk out of the room. Brushing off Pete's concerned looks.

"She is gone whether dead or alive. Nothing is left not even the facility." Rogue said. "But we haven't stopped looking."

'The facility.' Logan stopped in his stride as he thought back to what that place reminded him. "I need to think." He said as he stormed out of the kitchen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*You can't honestly trust him.* Scott's voice echoed through his mind as Logan sliced wildly to his left as he sliced the bark from the medium size tree.

*Girls flirt with the dangerous guy, they don't bring him home they marry the good guy.*

*I can be the good guy.*

*Logan, the good guy sticks around.* The conversation with Jean stung now more than ever as he sliced at the tree once more. I should have stayed. He thought as he sliced at the tree again. I should have been there. Damnit. Damnit! Damnit! With every thought he had he dealt towards the tree. Well, what was left of it.

*I need you here Logan* Logan roughly ran his fingers through his hair. I'm sorry. "I have no one left. You cannot leave me too." Logan yelled out as he put all his force into kicking the already decimated tree to the ground. 'I'm sorry Ro.' Logan looked up as he gazed across the lake to see a building on the hill by the lake.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Logan walked into the dimly lit house as he studied the interior of the room as he looked at the amounts of furniture. Logan sniffed as a strong smell of bleach and burnt or maybe charred. Logan walked towards what appeared to be the kitchen as he peeked his head inside the open doorway seeing Kitty bent over scrubbing the floor vigorously.

"You cooking again half-pint." He said making his presence known as she gave a small jump turning to see the intruder.

"Didn't hear you come in." she said bluntly as she turned back to scrubbing the inside of the oven.

"Look kid. I'm sorry I wasn't there." She kept scrubbing as he talked. "What matters now-"

"What matters?" she shook her head as she placed down the brush as she turned to look at Logan. "Nothing matters anymore. Everything is either dead or gone and you can't do a god damn thing about it."

"Listen, kid I'm sorry I wasn't here, believe me. I had some shit in my life that I had to get straight. It took longer than expected but I am back." He said as he inched further into the kitchen.

"Can't you see? There is nothing left to come back too. We couldn't keep the kids in here without help. Mr. McCoy couldn't juggle working with the government along with us. He is just one person. He did help us fix up the boathouse. Although I messed up while cooking so he had to turn half of the power back on in the mansion. Now here we are." She said as he was now standing in front of her.

"I get it. I don't know how many times I'm gonna say this to you, but I am sorry Half-Pint."

"If you want me to forgive you; you're going to have to make an effort this time."

"I've got all the time in the world." He said as she gave a slight nod towards him. "What do you need me to do?" he said as she smiled at him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Orleans, Louisiana

"It's complete." The man in front of the computer screen said to Colonel Thomas as he stood watching his best creation. The Doctors inside were just finishing up their last questions for their subject.

"I'll be the judge of that. Last time you said it was complete she almost escaped her containment." He said as he looked at her with a loving fondness "Open the door." He said as the Doctors continued to ask post-procedural questions. "Leave us. You stay X-23." The Doctors filed out of the room as X-23 remained in her spot behind the subject in the back corner of the room. Ready to intervene when needed. "How are you feeling my dear?"

"A bit groggy to be honest." As she began to sit up she realized she could not lift her arms. "What is this?!" She began to thrash against the cushioned bedding.

"Calm down my dear. We only restrained you for your own safety. You were injured in a conflict so we rescued you."

"What happened to me? Who are you people? I can't remember…"

"Do you recall anything about yourself?" he asked

"Yes, my name is Ororo Monroe." She thought as she strained herself. "My parents... are dead. Um I recall some people."

"Who my dear?"

"I don't know they wore an X symbol on their shirt. Other than that, I can't remember anything else."

"It's probably because of your injuries." He pulled up a chair that was close and placed it by her bed. "I… We, the government needs your help?"

"And why would I help you?"

"So we all can be able to live in peace."

"In peace… or in pieces?" She looked at him as she gazed around the room trying to familiarize her surroundings. "Who attacked me again?"

"A group of mutants ready to exploit you and other mutants for their personal gain. And if they don't comply. Well, this is what they do. They dispose of those that try and get in their way."

"How could you know that?" She tugged at the cuffs binding her to the bed. "What if you are just the one trying to recruit me?" To fight for you when your people are the ones that harm mutants. How are you any different from that group? How do I know that you are telling the truth? How can I trust you?" She laughed dryly as she attempted to raise her arms. "While you have me strapped to a bed."

"I think that is enough for one day." He said as he stood from his chair. He looked into the camera and signaled to the others that he was finished asking her questions.

"You still haven't given me an answer sir. You try and recruit me to fight for you. How do I know that you are telling the truth? How can I trust you?" She laughed dryly as she attempted to raise her arms. "While you have me strapped to a bed."

"You still haven't answered a single question of mine." She said as he continued to walk out of the lab while the previous doctors returned to sedate the patient once more.

"Well, that was an improvement." He said as he looked towards the head psychologist. "So Doc what do you think?"

"One more trial and she should be working to perfection."

"Good glad to hear." He said as he gazed at the sedated woman on the table. "She is much stronger than she looks. We are gonna have to make her believe us when she comes out of this," he said as he watched Brinks and X-23 in the room with her. "Give her the serum again."

"But sir she could lose every trace of her memories.

"I don't care. I had hoped we would have control of her much sooner."

"I understand that sir but- "

"But nothing the government wanted an undercover task force. You don't have a problem with that do you Doc." He shook his head as he kept silent. "Good. Starting tomorrow I will be observing the rest of the procedures. She will be cooperative by the end of this year. No ifs, ands, or buts." He said as he left the room.





You must login () to review.