Chapter 1

He had to get the fuck away from this damn zoo. His beast was roaring, clawing to be released and all signs right now pointed to him submitting to the Wolverine and its overwhelming need to commit unspeakable violence. But it was out of respect for Charles and his love for ‘Ro, he decided that leaving would be a better option than sticking around and wreaking havoc. In the span of two fucking hours, the Indian Maker and the fake ass King of Wakanda had both made appearances at the mansion, both apparently on missions of their own to gain back the hand of the breathtakingly beautiful weather goddess.

Logan didn’t know what the fuck to think about what could have prompted both of these jackasses to descend on the mansion the way they did and at the same flaming time. Seriously, what the fuck? He felt as if he was in the twilight zone bearing witness to the spectacle both men had created in their demands for an audience with the woman he had long ago given his heart too and whom his feral half had laid claim too. Their rank scents didn’t help matters any and it was only a sheer act of will than prevented him from sinking his claws into their chests. His beast railed against him to attack the interlopers who had dared to venture onto his territory, but it was a burning desire he had to tamper down, opting instead to give Ororo the opportunity to once and for all decide what she wanted.

He knew he wouldn’t score any points with her if he gave into his desires to maim the man who had broken her heart by proposing marriage, only to withdraw it a few days later. He never cared for Forge and he knew the feeling was entirely mutual. Also, snuffing the life out of the Panther and leaving Wakanda without a ruler would sure as hell put him on the receiving end of ‘Ro’s wrath, not to mention many years in prison, so he denied himself that temptation as well. But Christ! There was no love lost between him and the Black Panther…that arrogant, sanctimonious prick.

He had no idea what the hell had possessed both men to show up on the very day he had planned on surprising ‘Ro with a romantic date as a prelude to admitting his true feelings to her. When he had finally got up enough nerve to act on his feelings, here was life again giving him a swift kick in the nuts. Shit! Being cockblocked by not one but two of ‘Ro’s exes had to either be the biggest, sickest joke of the century or a creepy coincidence.

He thought about going to the Danger Room to rid himself of the boiling rage rapidly taking over him, but he knew that he needed to get far away from the mansion in order to preserve his sanity and keep his bestial half from going completely berserk. So, it was in a blaze of fury he had slipped away to the garage and onto his baby girl Rose for a much needed ride to clear his head and get back under some semblance of control. Maybe he’ll visit that seedy bar he had found a month ago outside Schenectady and test his healing factor, see if he can even get something resembling a buzz and with any luck, some stupid poor soul will try to pick a fight with him.

Throughout the entire ride, some doubts continuously plagued him. He had no doubts that she would turn Forge away, as she had stated to him numerous times before that she wanted absolutely nothing to do with him. But T’Challa was a different story and there laid his doubts. The Panther and ‘Ro were married up until eight months ago when either out of some twisted sense of duty or a high level of stupidity, the fake King had annulled the marriage, leaving the weather manipulator not only heartbroken, but in the depths of despair, doubting herself and everything she stood for.

Logan had designated himself her calm after the storm and it had taken him considerable time and effort to drag the full story out of her. When he finally did, it had taken him supreme will and the pleadings of Charles not go to Wakanda and dismember the fool. Denying his beast its bloodlust had to have been one of the toughest things he had ever had to do. It was only his desires to not inflict further pain on Ororo that kept the Panther alive.

Like Forge before him, T’Challa was incredibly stupid and had made the gravest mistake of them all. They had both smothered Ororo with a choice…a choice between her family, the X-Men and a life she sure as hell wasn’t cut out for. T’Challa had wanted her to give up everything she held dear, to be his subordinate in every aspect of life. Logan had to shake his head at that one and wondered if the Panther was dropped on his head as a kid. Didn’t anyone ever tell the fool that a Goddess outranked a Queen any day of the week and that she was no one’s subordinate?

It had broken his heart to see her in such pain and anguish and somehow he knew that it was up to him to bring her back to the woman she once was. It was a task he relished, if not for the fact that she held his heart and soul, but that after some time, she had begun to reciprocate, broadcasting subtlety that she wanted him too. But of course, being who he was, he had questioned everything. He had questioned his worthiness of her and whether or not she was truly insinuating that she wanted him on that level. It was too good to be true and since nothing good in his life ever lasted, he had denied himself that chance…until now. He had decided that enough was enough and he was going to go after what he wanted for a damn change and what he wanted was the lovely Ororo as his and only his.

But once again, here was life showing him that he had had his head too far up his ass one too many times. Forge, he knew stood no chance. The Tinkerer was barking up the wrong tree. But T’Challa? It hadn’t even been a full year yet and he was back, asking her to rule by his side once again. Would she fall for his tripe a second time? He was handsome, rich and royalty. What woman in their right mind wouldn’t want a guy like that as her life partner? Then he remembered only fickle, shallow women would fall for a guy’s looks and money and Ororo was nowhere near shallow. But still…she and the punk ass King shared a common culture, a childhood friendship and had shared a relationship that was still in some ways fresh. Maybe she was still attracted to him and tempted to take him up on his offer this second time around.

Before the depressing thoughts took hold, he had to force himself to remember that ‘Ro was a strong woman, a woman of substance and a woman who by all intents and purposes had apparently moved on from that painful chapter in her life. He had to have faith…faith in himself that he was deserving of her affections and heart, faith in ‘Ro, faith in her judgment and faith in her ability to send Forge and T’Challa on a one way trip to whence forth they had come from. But damn if all this waiting wasn’t taxing whatever sanity he had left.

He had to remind himself that that was why he had left, to give ‘Ro the time and space to make her decisions without any additional complications and interference from him. He had done it once, making his opinion known the very first time Panther had proposed marriage, which had resulted in words being exchange between him and the sham of a ruler and an epic throw down on the mansion’s immaculate lawns. ‘Ro’s disappointment in him after that was broadcasted clearly and once her decision to marry the prick was announced, he had sulked away dejectedly to his beloved Canada for an extended leave of absence.

Initially, he had vowed not to attend their wedding, but ‘Ro had him wrapped around her damn fingers and before he knew it, he was in a damn monkey suit watching her pledge her life to that asshole. She had coaxed him into dancing with her and he had held her as if she was his own piece of heaven, whispering to her that he would always be a phone call away should she ever need him. He never imagined that that phone call would come barely eight months into their marriage.

Cripes! He hated to leave her, when she was at a crossroads with both of those idiots pulling her in opposite directions, but he had to do it. He couldn’t just idly stand by and watch those two clowns wax sentimental and pull out all the stops to gain her back. He just couldn’t just stand there and not act on his rage against those two assholes. So he left. He knew that she would more than likely be pissed off at him and maybe even toss him a lightning bolt or two when he returned, but he would cross that bridge once he got to it.





You must login () to review.