Expertly, he flipped the pancakes in the pan, before moving to place the fried bacon and sausage on the paper towel covered plate he had ready to drain them of excess oil. Preparing this feast of a breakfast for his family was one of the simple things in life he enjoyed immensely…when he had the chance to do so. He had awoken earlier, 4:33am to be exact, excitement filling him to the brim. He felt like a kid in a candy store, for lack of a better term, knowing that his pack was going to grow larger. He had then spent a good half hour sitting in the bed he shared with his mate, simply staring at her, relishing everything about her and grinning like a simpleton. He had then gotten dressed in his workout attire, then check on his pups, letting their scents comfort him before he quietly slipped out of the house to partake in his run between their home and the X-Mansion and back again. Returning to his domain, he then took a quick shower, before taking care of the dreaded phone call to Nick Fury.

His call with Fury had gone pretty much how he had expected it too. Fury had objected vigorously to his tendered resignation. Logan was equally ferocious in sticking to his position. While he loved doing the hero thing, he loved his family even more. He would gladly sacrifice his membership in the famed Avengers for his family any day. His position was up not up for debate and in the end, though continuously voicing his displeasure, Nick had had no choice but to grudgingly accept the resignation of one of the best, if not the best, fighters he had ever had the pleasure of working with. However, the Wolverine was a bit pissed that he had also made it clear that he still expected his resignation in writing within forty eight hours. Logan didn’t see the necessity of his resignation in writing, but he figured it was something for the anal retentive man needed to feel good.

Once he had shut the highly secured phone off, Logan had breathed a huge sigh of relief, knowing that he was doing the right thing. There was a surprising pang of guilt after he had ended the call, knowing that the surreptitious lifestyle, outside being an X-Man that he enjoyed and loved was now at an end. Then, he thought about his family and all feelings of guilt all but vanished. His family’s happiness came before everything and everyone else. His first and only allegiance lied with his Goddess and the children they were entrusted with to love and protect, not Fury, not the Avengers and certainly not the damn government he has never placed any trust or faith in.

It was now a little after 7 o’clock and he smiled as he mentally went over his to-do list for the balance of the day. Accompany ‘Ro to her appointment with Dr. Hank McCoy, have a meeting with the Professor, have playtime with his kids, then once they had returned home and put the kids in bed, spend the rest of the evening to pleasing his mate. He grinned, satisfied that his day was dedicated to doing the only thing that he wanted to do for a while, spending an entire day with his family.

As he turned the oven off and pulled the croissants and blueberry muffins out, the corners of his mouth lifted into his trademark crooked smile when he got a whiff of who was about to join him. With sleeping habits that rivaled his, he wasn’t surprise that she was the first one up and heading his way.

His smile grew wider as the strong scent of lilacs and honey hit his sensitive nose at the same time a solid figure barreled into him, carefully clutching the doll he had given her last night. “Good morning, daddy.”

Logan bent down to scoop his daughter up in his arms, kissing her nose. “Mornin’, pumpkin. Ya slept well?”

Rose nodded, while slipping her free arm around his thick neck and inhaling deeply, reacquainting herself with his scent. “Uh huh.”

Logan smiled. “Ya wanna help me finish makin’ breakfast?”

Rose tiny brows furrowed into a frown that was an exact copy of his own. She no doubt had his habits and mannerisms, while her brother had those of their mother. “Are you leaving again, daddy? The last time you made us breakfast before you left us.”

Yep, he definitely made the right decision to leave that covert lifestyle behind. Her innocent question had reinforced that he had made the right call and dispelled any lingering doubts and guilt he was having. He glanced over to the stove to make sure the burners were turned off before he went to take a seat in the breakfast nook with his little girl on his lap. He turned her so she could face him. “No, princess. I’m not leavin’. I’m stayin’ right here wid ya.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes. I’m not goin’ away ever again, unless Grandpa Charles sends me away to do somethin’ fer him.”

Rose carefully laid the doll down on the nook’s table before wrapping her arms tightly around her father’s neck. “I miss you when you leave, daddy.”

The trembling and fear he heard in her voice and the faint hint of saline he smelled caused his heart to clench even more. He always knew that when he went away for extended periods of time, it affected his children the most. It affected ‘Ro too, but she was somewhat used to it, seeing that they had both lived the same kind of life for many years. Now, Rose’s innocently spoken statement told him just how much it affected them. ‘Ro had told him that she believed him to be some kind of energy that was necessary for them, because when he was gone, they would sulk around dispiritingly, until he came back. He had all but dismissed it, but now, he had no choice but to realize that she was probably right in her assessment. He hated the fact that he was the cause of his little girl’s anxiety and he knew he had to make it right and he had to do it right then and there. It was his job to make her feel secure and it was a job he took quite seriously.

It hurt him to the core to hear those words coming out of his little girl’s mouth and seeing the tears forming in her eyes didn’t make him feel better either. “I always miss ya too, pumpkin…and yer brother and mom. But daddy isn’t goin’ ta leave again.” He pulled away from her tight hold to gaze into her beautiful gray, blue-rimmed eyes. “Ok?” He reached up and gently wiped the tears that escaped down her smooth café au lait cheeks.

She nodded again. “Ok, daddy. I love you.”

It took a significant amount of his willpower for the big bad Wolverine not to succumb to tears right then and there. “I love ya too, princess,” he replied gruffly. He cleared his throat. “Now, ya wanna help me before yer mom and brother come down?”

“Sure.”

Logan carefully placed her on the floor before standing to his full height. “Ok, Rosie, why don’t ya start by settin’ the table?”

Rose gave him a bright smile and he replied with a smile of his own. Christ, but he was a sucker for that smile. They worked in silence to finish preparing the breakfast and setting the table. Just as they were finishing up, Ororo and Dave came strolling hand in hand into the kitchen.

Logan’s eyes lit up at the beautiful picture his wife and son made. Before he could utter his morning greetings, David came torpedoing into his legs, just as Rose had done earlier. He stooped down to be on eye level with his son. Ruffling his unruly head of white hair, he said, “Mornin’ lil man.”

“Mornin’, daddy. We’re gonna play with the kite today, right?”

“Yep. Definitely.” He ruffled his hair again, before standing and walking over to properly give his wife her morning greeting. His arms slipped around her waist, pulling her closer to him. He took a deep inhale of her unique scent ripened with the scent of their unborn child before kissing her softly on her lips. “Mornin’ darlin’. How’d ya sleep?”

“Good morning, my love. I slept very well, thank you,” Ororo replied with a twinkle in her eye. He got her message of what was left unsaid. I slept well, even though you kept me up all night.

“Come on, take yer seats…breakfast is ready.”

The Wolverine reared his head to grunt in approval and contentment as he got caught up in the happiness and serenity that flowed around the room as everyone sat and ate. As he ate, he took the time to enjoy everything that was happening at that moment. The excited chatter of his kids, his mate occasionally lovingly cleaning their messy faces, the compliments given as they ate their fill and the fight for the last piece of sausage. This is the life for me, he mused.

Ororo lay back in her seat when she was done, gently rubbing her belly. She glanced up to see Logan gazing at her, the corners of his sexy and talented mouth lifted in a smile.

He knew exactly what was on her mind. After some discussion last night, they had agreed that breakfast was the perfect time to tell the kids that a new baby was on the way. By the look on her face, he knew it was time to spill the beans.

Clapping her hands, Ororo gained the kids’ attention. She gazed at her children in awe before she said. “Sweethearts,” she began, her voice thick with emotion, “your father and I have some news for both of you.”

“Is daddy leaving again?” David interrupted rather loudly. His eyes swung to Logan’s and rapidly filled with tears that didn’t go unnoticed by his parents.

Logan quickly reassured the boy. “No. No. I’m not leavin’.”

“Are you sure?” David asked, the quiver in his voice evident.

“I’m positive, buddy. I’m not leavin’ ya.”

“Ok. I thought you were, when mommy said you had news.”

Logan glanced at Ororo and she quickly let him know she’ll handle it. “No sweetheart,” she replied. “That is not what I meant.” Seeing that she had both of her children’s attention, she delved right in. “What I meant is that in a few months, you both are going to have either a new brother or new sister.”

She and Logan watched the kids’ faces, before they erupted in a chorus of shouts.

“I take it you both are happy about the news?” Ororo asked smilingly.

“I hope it’s a sister,” Rose said.

“I want a brother,” David retorted, not to be outdone.

“We shall see when it gets here in a few months,” ‘Ro said rather loudly, to be heard over her screaming kids.

Logan shook his head laughing as he stood. “Alright, pups. Go grab yer things. We’re goin’ ta spend the day at the mansion.”

The two bundles of energy scrambled out of the nook and all but ran upstairs to do their father’s bidding.

Ororo stood and walked over to her dearest, wrapping her arms around him from behind, stilling him in the process of picking up the dirty plates. “Hmm…I love you,” she whispered.

Logan placed the dishes back on the table before turning in her embrace. He leaned down, kissing her lips gently. Pressing his forehead to hers, he said, “I spoke ta Fury earlier.”

She held her breath. “And?”

“I’m no longer an Avenger, but the prick still wants my resignation in writing.”

Ororo’s deep release of breath told him that she was anxious as to the outcome of his talk with his higher ups. “How do you feel about it?”

“I feel good. Rosie pretty much killed any residual feelings of guilt and doubts I had ‘bout it this mornin’.”

Ororo withdrew and gazed into his eyes. “Oh? How did she do that?”

“Talkin’ ta her made me see just how much my absence affected them,” Logan stepped away from her. “Christ, ‘Ro, she had me ready ta cry.”

“She is very wise for her age and she loves you very much,” ‘Ro replied, following him and rubbing her hands up and down his back.

“I know. That’s why this decision was the best one. I need ta be ‘round them, as much as they need ta be ‘round me,” he replied turning around to embrace her again.

“So you believe me when I say you are the life force of this family?”

“Yep. Totally,” he replied before he leaned down and captured her lips with his. A satisfied growl rumbled in his throat as his mouth worked its way on hers. Their mouths opened greedily, seeking to appease each other. His tongue plunged deeply into the soft recess of hers to thoroughly explore. Ororo purred with contentment and drew her arms tightly around his neck, pressing her body closer to his.

Knowing the propensity for them to get carried away with their passions, Logan broke the kiss. Heaving in breaths, he rasped, “Ya ready fer us ta see, Blue?”

“Yes. I am very happy you are going to be around more to enjoy this with me.”

“Me too, darlin’. Me too. Why don’t ya go check on the terrible twosome and get ready ta go while I clean up.”

Ororo gave him an impish smile in answer, making him groan. “Deal, mountain man. Fifteen minutes?”

He nodded, watching the seductive sway of her hips as she turned and left the room. He adjusted himself in his jeans and went about cleaning up the remnants of their breakfast, relishing in the feelings of love and happiness…and his family.





You must login () to review.