After the whirlwind that was the Christmas and New Year celebrations, Ororo’s remaining weeks of pregnancy seemingly crept by. The holidays had ushered in a peaceful time around the mansion and the world and everyone had quipped that even the world’s villains had apparently caught the holiday spirit. Everyone and their families had elected to stay at the mansion this year, which had made the Professor incredibly happy and he spared no expense with his generosity. The children had all declared that this was the best Christmas ever, as they had all received everything on their Christmas lists. It was also a time for the adults to reflect on their lives and their blessings and express their gratitude to the one man that had been a constant in their lives…Charles Xavier.

As the clock struck midnight heralding the New Year, the villains all seemingly agreed that the temporary ceasefire was over and began to create chaos all over the world. This led to the X-Men’s services being in high demand, in addition to the services of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four. All X-Men special operations teams were mobilized and this made Ororo especially antsy because with only a few weeks remaining in her pregnancy, it meant both her husband and her doctor would be out saving the world. Charles and the team members who weren’t away on missions had all pitched in to reassure her and help her with the kids, but as much as she appreciated their efforts and tried to remain calm, she was still unsettled.

They had gotten word from some of the teams, including Logan’s that they should be completing their missions and returning home by the end of January. This served to put Ororo at ease and she began preparing herself for the labor and delivery. However, as luck would have it, a huge nor’easter hit the area hard, knocking January into the history books and giving the children two snow days off from school. Nevertheless, the X-Men had failed to return from their missions on schedule.

With Logan’s scheduled return delayed and the Braxton Hicks contractions beginning to wreak havoc, Ororo’s worry increased tenfold. Her fears were soon realized on the kids’ second snow day off from school when she was in the kitchen waddling around fixing a lunch of various sandwiches for the mansion’s population. She had already placed two serving trays laden with food on the dining room table and turned to head back into the kitchen for the third tray, when a devastating sliver of pain knifed through her, causing her to double over and her eyes to immediately whiten. The wind picked up in intensity and thunder rolled ferociously when another wave of pain hit her almost instantaneously.

Ororo groaned in agony as she managed to pull a chair out and sit down, rubbing her extended belly. Charles’ soothing voice echoed in her head, telling her to remain calm. Professor! I believe these babies are on their way.

I have sent word to Rogue and Clarice. They should be there soon. Jean and I would be waiting for you in the medical bay. Please hold on, my dear.

Thank you. She took rapid, successive breaths, willing the pain to stop. She was now grateful for Logan’s foresight when he had insisted that she and the twins moved back to the mansion for the time remaining on her pregnancy. His reasoning was that he would feel better knowing that she was near Jean and Charles should she go into labor while he was away.

Rogue and Clarice both came running into the dining room.

“Hey sugah. Heard y’all need help.” Rogue’s southern drawl was music to Ororo’s ears.

“Rogue, thank the Goddess,” Ororo gasped.

Rogue moved in front of Ororo. “Can y’all stand? Blink here is gonna zap y’all down to the med lab.”

“I…I think so,” Ororo gritted through tightly clenched teeth. She finally stood with help from Rogue, then turned to Clarice. At the same time she opened her mouth to let Blink know she was ready to be transported, David and Rose both came running into the room, each child immediately latching on to one of her legs. This was not surprising to her as they have been sticking to her like glue since their father has been away.

“What’s wrong Mama?” Rose asked tearfully.

“Outside isn’t too good Mommy,” David piped in. “It’s windy and thundering.”

It took a supreme will of effort for Ororo to maintain her balance with both kids clutching at her legs and to comfort ‘them even in her distress, but she managed to bend down a bit and gave them both a reassuring kiss on their heads. “It is alright my darlings. I think your siblings are ready to come out.” Both kids’ eyes widened and they gave her the biggest grins. Ororo turned to Rogue. “Would you please take care of them while Clarice takes me to Charles and Jean?”

She then turned back to her children’s innocent upturned faces. “Mommy wants the both of you to be good for Aunty Rogue. She is going to take care of you until it is alright for you to come see me. I love you.”

Rose hugged her leg tighter. “I love you too, Mama. I wish Daddy was here.”

“Grandpa Charles is going to contact your Daddy,” Rogue piped in, stooping down to be at eye level with Rose.

“I love you, Mommy,” David said before releasing her and moving to take Rogue’s hand.

Another contraction gripped Ororo and she turned to Blink. “Please, get me out of here.”

With a smile, the purple hued mutant wrapped her arms around Ororo’s shoulders and used her gift to transport Ororo to a grinning Charles and eager Jean.


“Can’t this hunk of metal go any faster?” Wolverine growled impatiently. He was agitated and rightfully so. His team had only minutes before wrapped up its mission and was situating themselves in the aircraft that would transport them back home, when Xavier’s voice rang out in the cockpit, informing them that Storm had gone into labor and to get home as soon as they can. Logan had broken out of his temporary daze at Charles’ announcement and had fired off a series of rapid commands to his team of Nightcrawler, Shadowcat, Cannonball and Dazzler.

Being Wolverine’s co-pilot, poor Shadowcat was on the receiving end of his impatience. “Like, seriously, Wolvie. Calm down. We’re already, like going at full speed.”

Logan grumbled unintelligibly, all the while, his mind on his wife. He cursed Donald Pierce and his kidnapping of the United Nations Secretary-General’s wife and mutant daughters as the commencement of his plot to use militant terrorist actions against mutants. Because of this jackass and his nefarious plot, he was away from home, missing the birth of his new pups. A simple mission that should have had them home days ago had been delayed because of the villain and his backup schemes. This had only served to increase Logan’s frustrations to unbelievable levels and he momentarily toyed with the idea of turning around the smaller version of the blackbird to take him back to where the authorities had Pierce in custody so he could take out his frustrations on the man.

The aircraft’s advanced navigation system alerted Shadowcat that they were now flying over the Atlantic Ocean. She glanced over at the distracted man who was a mentor and friend and in many ways, a father figure. She knew how much he loved Storm and knew that it was agony for him to be away from her during the time she needed him most. “It’s like about another hour or less before we get home.”

Logan nodded absently. He absolutely hated this. He should be by ‘Ro’s side, helping her through this painful process. He had learned from the first labor he had experienced with her that his support and presence at her side were undeniably mandatory and important. Christ! He could only imagine the pain his mate was in and if it was one thing the Wolverine detested was seeing her or his children in pain. And to top it off, Hank was also away on his own team’s mission in Siberia of all places. Hank’s absence no doubt complicated things and he hoped to Ororo’s Goddess that Charles and Jean were managing the situation efficiently.

He was a moment away from roaring his aggravation, when he felt the familiar tingle in his head, indicating the Professor’s attempt to reach him telepathically. He immediately sprang to attention. Chuck! What’s goin’ on? How’s ‘Ro?

She is still in labor. However, she has already given birth to two of the babies.

A big grin split Logan’s face before he replied. Ya gonna tell me what they are?

No, my friend. You will find out soon enough. How far away are you now?

Logan glanced at the navigation part of the controls. ‘Bout half an hour. Why?

She is weakening and having a hard time birthing the third child.

Logan’s expletives blistered Charles’ mind. I’ll be there as soon as we land. Tell her I love her and don’t give up.

See you soon, my friend. With that Charles broke the telepathic connection.

Logan looked at the navigation controls again, willing the jet to go even faster. He had to get to ‘Ro. He had to let her know how much he loved her and how much he was indebted to her for giving him their wonderful family. He had to tell her that she was his home.

The half an hour remaining in their journey seemed to move in slow motion and the tension in the aircraft was thick. The other occupants of the aircraft were also stressed, tired, hungry and missing their own families. They were all caught up in their own musings and gave their team leader a wide berth to be alone with his thoughts. There was a bit of a hiccup in the flight when they officially entered United States airspace and encountered violent weather as they approached New York. No doubt it was Ororo’s doing and it pretty much told Logan that Charles wasn’t exaggerating when he said she was having a difficult time giving birth to the third baby.

Logan growled fiercely and with a look of utter determination on his face, he helped Kitty navigate the vicious weather patterns devastating the Westchester area. They all sighed in relief when the mansion came into view and the aircraft was safely docked in its proper place in the underground hangar. “Take care of it!” Logan barked out to no one in particular and wasted no time in vacating the jet in his haste to be at his wife’s side.


Ororo groaned tiredly. The weather currently lashing the area and her waning strength were evidence of her frustration and exhaustion. She’s been at it for six hours now and she didn’t know how much longer she would be able to stay conscious. She had already given birth to two large, healthy boys and was struggling to birth the third child. Charles and Jean were also under heavy strain attending to this labor and delivery. They prayed it would be over soon.

“Come on ‘Ro. You’re doing well. Just a few more pushes,” Jean coaxed tiredly from her place between the stirrups.

“I am doing my best here Jean!” Ororo huffed. “I am tired in case you have not noticed!”

“I know sweetie,” Jean soothed, “But we need to get this last one out.”

“I do not know if I can do it,” Ororo wailed, even as she sat up, bore down and gave a big push.

Charles relayed Logan’s message to her and his own from the area where he was monitoring the two newborns, sensing his daughter was fading in patience and growing weaker by the minute. “You can do it, my dear. You are one of the strongest persons I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.”

“I cannot. This is too much,” she murmured weakly, collapsing back onto the bed heavily.

Logan was in time to hear his beloved’s retort. “Yes, ya can, ‘Ro. Ya’ve faced worse than this.”

There had never been a time before now, when Ororo was any happier to hear her dearest’s gravelly baritone. “Logan,” she whispered tearfully. “Thank the Goddess.”

Logan rushed over to her side, barely acknowledging Jean and the Professor as they both smiled when they saw the rough feral, all scrubbed up and decked out in blue scrubs.

He bent over Ororo, kissing her gently and moving a few wet tendrils off her forehead. “I’m here, darlin’.”

She reached up a trembling hand and touched his cheek. “You made it.”

In the midst of the scents of blood, Ororo’s pain and the other various scents that was part of the med lab, Logan’s nose had no problem cataloging two new scents. Their sweetness clung to him and he growled happily as he focused on his mate. “Damn right I did, baby. I think we broke the sound barrier gettin’ here.” He rubbed his nose against hers. It was an extremely tender gesture for a man, who many believed was unfeeling. “Now, what do ya say we finish this?”

She shook her head. “I do not know if I can,” she gasped, grimacing in pain.

Taking her hand into his, Logan leaned in closer to her and purred. He rubbed his bearded cheek against hers. “I know ya can do it, sweet thing. I’ve seen ya battle worse and came through without a hair outta place. Come on baby, ya got this.”

Logan’s appearance and words served to infuse her with renewed vigor and determination and she nodded firmly. For the next fifteen minutes, Ororo panted, gritted her teeth and screeched through the pain as she completed the birthing process. Through it all, she was aware of Logan’s presence, his encouragement, praise and his love. When a loud howl filled the room, announcing the arrival of their daughter, Logan roared for joy, planting kisses all over Ororo’s weary beautiful face.

Ororo barely registered the congratulations offered, the excited chatter and the usual bevy of tasks to take care of after such an event. The last words and sounds she barely was able to decipher before she succumbed to her fatigue and emotional upheaval, were the faint cries of her newest babies and Logan voicing his love for her and the family they’ve both always yearned for, fought for, acquired and would protect with their last breath





You must login () to review.