After the fiasco in the kitchen with the turkey, the rest of the day was relatively uneventful. There was feasting and good times had by all present and the day ended on a much higher note than it had begun. Jimmy even made an appearance later in the day; he’d been a little unsure about the meal itself and had stayed in his room.

Ororo and Logan made it a point to talk to him and attempt to make him feel welcome; he even met the members of the team that had stayed behind for the holiday.

Kurt too decided to stay for a few days; after all there was no immediate need to return to the monastery and it had been a long time since he’d some time with his surrogate family.

Jean settled him into one of the free rooms and the night continued on as before.

Around midnight, Ororo began to feel the effects of having spent hours on her feet cooking for the gathering. She and Logan had been sitting together listening to the others as they talked and argued while trying to watch a movie together. He felt her shift, letting her head rest against his shoulder even as she let out a large yawn.

“Darlin, yer dead on yer feet. Why don’t ya head on up ta bed, I’ll be up in a bit.” His voice was soft; neither one wanted to announce the change in their relationship to the others just yet; hence the need for him to leave after her.

Ororo nodded without a second’s hesitation she stood and headed for the door. “Good night everyone.”

There was a chorus of “good nights” and “sleep wells” from the others. A few even yelled out “thanks for the meal”.

She waved her hand and walked out the door. She headed towards the stairs slowly, feeling a pleasant wave of fatigue wash over her as she yawned again.

There was no warning as a large arm shot out and grabbed her pushing her against a nearby wall. Before she could even draw in breath to scream, a warm familiar mouth settled against hers.

She sighed even as she relaxed into him. “I thought you were going to be up in a bit.”

Logan smiled as they separated. “I managed ta sneak out when everyone was sayin’ goodnight ta ya.”

Ororo smiled as he stepped away and they walked up the stairs side by side.

Half way up, he slipped one arm around her waist and the other under her legs, scooping her up. He held her close as he climbed the stairs, inhaling her scent as her hair brushed his face.

“Logan, I am fully capable of getting myself up the stairs and into my room.” She protested.

He gave her a sly grin even as he continued to carry her. “I know, but this is fun, for both of us. Besides, after the restraint ya showed in sparin’ Remy from a justifiable lightnin’ strike, well let’s just say ya’ve earned a bit of pamperin’.”

She sighed relaxing into his strong, sure embrace, as he continued up to her room.

The weekend passed and brought with it the return of the students and the return to their daily schedules. Their workouts continued as before and they continued to work on Ororo’s new skill.

Despite their hectic schedules, they did manage to spend a bit of time alone, watching and arguing over the subtly of movie plots, taking walks around the mansion and Logan was even seen spending some time with her in her greenhouse; though he absolutely refused to help her plant a thing.

The week also saw a prank vendetta begun between Logan and Remy. Logan saw no other choice after the incident with the exploding turkey; he had to get even. So he snuck into Remy’s room and spiked the vain younger man’s hair gel with blond hair coloring.

It took a while; a few days in fact because it was diluted, but blond streaks began to appear in Remy’s hair. Remy of course immediately retaliated. He set delayed charges of kinetic energy in every one of Logan’s cigars. They were set to go off when Logan lit them.

Upon seeing his prized cigars going up in flames and fireworks, Logan again vowed revenge and the vendetta was on.

Several more pranks were played out, each one more extravagant than the last until Remy went slightly too far and damaged some property; namely the tires on Logan’s prized motorcycle; the same one he’d taken from Scott.

Ororo heard about the incident and lashed into Remy for his childish behavior and demanded that he replace the tires. Having put her brother in his place, she turned her ire on Logan.

“But he had it comin’ darlin’. After that thing with the turkey, I had no choice, I had ta get back at Gumbo.”

Ororo knew there had been no malice behind anything that was done; but she also knew that Remy saw nothing wrong in blowing up Logan’s tires. That was until Ororo pointed out that they could have been riding the bike when the tires blew; that had sobered him a bit.

“Even so Logan, you should not have encouraged him.” They were out in her greenhouse and she had her hands buried in the dirt, trying to soothe away the irritation she was feeling.

“Maybe not, but it was kinda fun. I have to admit that cigar thing was damned inspired.”

She couldn’t help herself and she chuckled as she stood, wiping off her hands. There was a soft noise behind them and Ororo looked past Logan to see Kitty and Rogue standing in the doorway. “What can we do for you girls?”

They came in and stood in front of Ororo, a hopeful look in their eyes. “Ms. Munroe, were hoping that if you weren’t busy tonight you might be willing to take us to the mall.”

Ororo looked at Logan slightly puzzled. Both girls had their driver’s licenses and were more than capable of getting themselves there. “Why do you not just take yourselves?”

They exchanged a look. “Well, we kinda got in trouble with Dr. Grey and we can’t leave the grounds without an adult.”

Ororo heard Logan chuckle next to her as she suddenly remembered what they had done; something to do with toilet paper and shaving cream and the boys dorm.

Kitty folded her hands, pleading with her. “Please Ms. Munroe. Jean and Scott left a couple of hours ago and Logan says after the last time, he won’t take us. How else are we supposed to get our Christmas shopping done if we can’t go by ourselves and no one will take us?” Kitty’s voice was desperate; from anyone else it would have seemed overly dramatic but from her, it was more than sincere.

Rogue stood next to her, silently pleading for her to agree.

Ororo sighed and she could hear Logan chuckle behind her. She wanted to spend the afternoon with him. But she also knew that a day out shopping with the girls was not something she could easily pass up either. “Logan, would you mind if we postponed this afternoon?”

He had planned a nice dinner, just the two of them; something nice they could do together that she knew she would enjoy. He kissed her cheek, smiling at her. “No problem darlin’. Take the rugrats outta the house before they decide ta bring it down around us.”

Ororo smiled at his softly spoken words. “I shall make it up to you. I promise.” She spoke just as softly but the heat in her eyes was intense. She watched him swallow the snarl and turn to walk out of the room. She smiled slightly at his reaction to her words. As he left the room, she turned back to Kitty and Rogue.

“So who will be going on this shopping spree?”


Logan spent his suddenly free afternoon helping Scott to upgrade the danger room. Elbow deep in wiring and electronics, he marveled that not only had he and Scott gotten along, but there seemed to be a bit of a camaraderie developing between them.

In fact, while Logan enjoyed ribbing him several times, the jabs were without his usually sharp barbs. And Scott took them with unusually good humor. Though Logan still wouldn’t call him his buddy, maybe they could get along now that Jean was no longer standing between them.

The job went relatively quickly and they were nearly finished with it when the Professor contacted Logan. “Hey Scooter, I gotta run. Chuck needs ta see me right now.”

Scott nodded as he began putting the final panel back in place. “No problem, I can handle this from here. Thanks for the hand Logan.”

Logan wondered at the friendly tone in his voice even as he exited the room. Maybe things were getting a great deal better than he thought.

Charles looked up at Logan’s arrival. “Logan, I hope that I was not interrupting anything important?”

Logan shrugged as he sat down. “Just helping Cyke with an upgrade in the danger room; nothin’ that can’t hold for awhile. So what do ya need Chuck?”

Xavier folded his hands thoughtfully as he regarded the other man. “It has come to my attention that you and Ororo have been spending a great deal of time with Jimmy since you brought him back.”

Logan nodded. “Yeah, we have been. Ororo asked me ta help when we both realized that he has a lot of trust in me; probably cause I saved him from that hell hole. We thought we should use it ta help him rebuild his life here.”

Xavier nodded as he grabbed a file. He wheeled his chair out from behind his desk and handed it to Logan. “I think its working. He’s shown a great deal of progress since the two of you began spending time with him. I think that he might be ready to join the other students soon.”

Logan opened the folder scanning its contents. “That’s good ta here. So why’d ya call me?”

“For two reasons: first I wish for you and Ororo to have complete freedom in the time you spend with this boy. If the two of you have a whim to take him for an ice cream cone, do it. Whatever ordinary activity you can think of, even those he suggests or hints at please do not hesitate to do it with him.

“No one here will stop you or ask what you are doing. I want Jimmy to feel that his life is once again returned to normal. I think this can be done by showing that he has the freedom to do and say what he wants, for now at least. Second, I wish for you to take him on personally as a student.”

Logan looked at the professor for several seconds trying to understand just what he was asking. “What do ya mean by personally?”

“This young man has been taught and trained to kill. I fear very much that we can never assume what his reactions to given situations will be. Having said that, I feel that he will benefit a great deal from exposure to you and your efforts to control your own violent tendencies.

“Logan, he trusts you, you can reach him in a way that I am still struggling to do. Somehow, we must reach him and begin to undo some of the damage done to his psyche. I think that you have the best chance of doing that; if he sees the control you exert over yourself, it may be enough to get him to do the same.”

Logan seemed thoughtful for several moments, pondering what Charles had said. Logan finally nodded. He knew what it had cost the professor to ask, to admit that he was unable to reach the boy even with his powerful mind. There was no way that he could ignore what needed to be done to help the boy.

“Then it’s settled, we’ll begin tomorrow whenever is convenient for you.”

Logan stood. “I’ll grab him after my workout with ‘Ro. If that’s all ya needed professor, I think I’d like to grab a quick ride on my bike. Ororo should be back with the girls soon; I’ve been havin’ a hard time convincing her that riding in winter is dangerous.”

The professor chuckled fondly. “Yes, she can be quite stubborn; if you tell her that something is too dangerous, she will nearly harm herself proving you wrong.”

“Yeah, I’m learning that.”

“Enjoy your ride Logan.”


Logan sped away from the mansion only moments later; the bike felt strangely empty without Ororo. But he had felt the need to get away from the mansion, even for a few moments. He wandered aimlessly, unsure of where he really wanted to go, simply fulfilling the need to move. He ended up several miles away from the mansion, stopping for a bottle of water and a cigar when the professor contacted him again.

Logan could feel his presence in his mind an instance before his mental voice spoke to him. But Logan could sense a hesitation in his words.

Logan?

He took a pull on his cigar as he replied, wondering why Charles sounded worried; surely nothing had happened in the few moments that he had been gone. I thought ya’d give me at least an hour before ya bothered me again.

There was a delicate pause before Xavier spoke again. Logan, I need you to meet Remy and I at the hospital; there has been an accident.

Logan stiffened, his thoughts suddenly racing. In the span of a few seconds, he felt a wave of fear course through him as he realized who was most likely to have been involved. Ororo, Rogue?

There was a mental shrug. I do not know Logan; please, meet me at the hospital.

Logan felt his insides go cold as the words hit him with all the force of a Mac truck. Not now, not after I just found her. Please don’t take her from me now. He prayed silently as he dropped his still lit cigar and leapt on his bike. He gunned the engine and took off in a cloud of smoke, tires spinning and squealing loudly at the busy station.

He had to fight the urge to roar in rage and anger as he sped off. Xavier had said they needed to get to the hospital; but he had not said how badly or even if Ororo was hurt. Logan didn’t know if that was because he was afraid that she was dying or if she was alright. He so wanted to believe that she was alright. He wasn’t sure he could handle it if she wasn’t.


Logan arrived at the hospital, barely resisting the urge to simply dump the bike and race into the building. He sniffed lightly, looking for the scents of Charles or Remy, however faint they might be. When he didn’t find them, he guessed that he had most likely beaten them there.

He ran across the parking lot, nearly getting hit by an ambulance as he rushed into the emergency room. Once inside, he did catch a faint but familiar odor coming from the waiting area. He made directly for it hoping to find some answers. “Kitty?”

She jumped at the sound of his voice and then leapt to her feet, throwing herself into his arms. “Logan.”

He held her for a moment, comforting her and assuring himself that she was all right. “Where’s Ororo?”

There were tears in Kitty’s eyes as she shook her head. “I don’t know. The doctors wouldn’t let me stay with her; they said I had to stay here.”

He felt himself grow cold as he remembered who else had gone on the shopping trip. “Where’s Rogue?”

Kitty shook her head. “I don’t know where any of them are. They took her away too; she was screaming hysterically. I don’t know why. They won’t tell me anything; they said I wasn’t family, that they had to wait for her family to get here.”

He reached out, brushing the tears away. “The professor and Remy are on their way, stay here. I’m gonna find Ororo and Rogue.”

She nodded and sat back down to wait for the professor and Remy.

Logan walked around, smelling the blood, medicine and death that hung around the place. He growled softly, the scents pulling his feral self closer to the surface in answer to the perceived threat.

The scents were cloying and heavy, saturating every inch of the enclosed space; he couldn’t smell Ororo enough to locate her. And every second that passed pushed him closer and closer to the brink as he searched for her.

He could feel the animal within itching to get free; he found himself resisting the urge to howl. In frustration, he grabbed the nearest doctor startling the man as he nearly shouted at him. “Where’s Ororo Munroe? She was brought in about thirty minutes ago, she was in a car accident with a group of teenagers.”

There was fear in the doctor’s eyes and Logan struggled to control himself. He reached out, taking hold of his anger and fear and shoved it back down inside himself. He could feel the beast receding a bit as the turbulent emotions were forced down.

He could see a calm mask come over the doctor’s face and the smell of his fear receded. He reached out to touch Logan’s arm lightly. “Sir, what does she look like?”

Logan felt a wave of empathy and patience in that hand and the beast within receded even further. But it still prowled just below the surface, waiting. “Dark skin, blue eyes, white hair, tall and slender.”

The doctor nodded. He turned, leading the way to another area where there were several curtained beds. “She’s over this way getting stitched up.”

Logan tried to force the panic down as he pondered just what she might be having stitched up. “Is she okay?”

The doctor nodded. “She suffered a minor concussion, some bumps and bruises and a moderate scalp laceration. She should be fine. She just needs rest and peace and quiet.”
The doctor led him to a curtained area as he spoke.

Logan felt a wave of relief flood him as he realized that she wasn’t seriously hurt.

The doctor pulled aside the curtain just as the doctor attending her put in the final stitch.

“’Ro?” His voice was hoarse and soft, his eyes taking in the sight of her sitting on the gurney, looking slightly disheveled and very tired.

Ororo turned at his voice, a look of relief flashing across her face. Tears of relief shone in her eyes as she reached out to him. “Logan, thank the goddess.”

He stepped forward, taking her face gently in his hands, inspecting the scalp wound she had received. “’Ro baby are ya okay?”

She nodded, closing her eyes as she swayed slightly on the gurney. The concussion appeared to be causing her some dizziness and a minor headache.

He reached out, drawing her into his arms, feeling her bury her face into his chest. He buried his face in her hair, breathing deeply, drawing in her scent; assuring himself that she was really alive and well.

Her arms held him tight; almost as if she were afraid to let him go or if she feared that he might simply disappear the moment she let go. After a few moments, he pulled back. He could see the tears in her eyes as he gently touched her face. “I thought for a minute I’d lost you.”

She smiled slightly at the tenderness in his voice. “But you did not.”

“No I didn’t.” He released her reluctantly as the doctor began dressing the laceration he had just stitched closed.

When that was finished, Ororo turned to the other doctor, concern written all over her face. “Where are the children who were with me?”

“Ms. Munroe, I don’t quite know how to tell you this, but of the passengers that were brought in with you, one didn’t survive.”

Ororo gasped and Logan embraced her firmly, trying to lend her his strength as she bowed slightly under the grief.

“Kitty’s all right. I just saw her in the waitin’ room, I told her ta wait for Charles and Remy.”

Ororo nodded even as she realized that there were still two people unaccounted for. “What about Jennifer and Marie.”

The doctor shook his head. “I’m sorry but I can’t answer that; all I know is one of them didn’t make it.”

Logan felt Ororo stiffen in his arms, fighting to hold back the sobs, desperate not to lose control of her emotions or her powers. Enraged he reached out and grabbed the doctor by his white coat, dragging him forward and off his feet as he snarled at him. “Listen bub, we’re the only family those girls have got. So ya’d better find out just what happened ta them, and I mean now.”

The doctor sputtered and Logan fought the urge to unsheathe his claws. Dimly, he felt the professor’s presence behind him a moment before he heard him speak, both out loud and in his mind.

“Logan, release him.”

Pushing his rage aside with obvious effort, Logan slowly released the man.

The doctor stepped back and turned his attention to the distinguished gentleman that had suddenly appeared behind the two mutants in front of him.

Xavier rolled his wheelchair closer. “My apologies doctor, but we are all very worried about the children that were with Ms. Munroe. Please tell us where they are; we would like to take them home.”

The doctor turned his attention to the two men who had just appeared. “You are their guardian?”

Xavier nodded, and Remy handed the doctor the documents he had been carrying. “Yes, they both attend my private school. I have temporary guardianship of them during the school year as a precaution.”

“Then please, come with me and we’ll discuss what has happened.”

Logan stepped forward, meaning to go with them but a quick look from Xavier stopped him.

“Logan, stay with Ororo. Jean came with me and is comforting Kitty out in the waiting room. I will call for you in a moment.”

Logan paced back and forth for a moment, not pleased with his words.

Ororo reached out to touch his arm, stopping him in mid stride.

He turned to her, a feeling of calm washing over him as he saw the same concern reflected in her eyes as well. He grabbed her hand, turning to watch the doctor and the professor as they conversed several feet away.

The doctor talked for several moments, with Xavier asking a few questions. Suddenly Logan saw the professor slump slightly in his chair as he touched his hand to his head in obvious grief.

Logan rushed over to him, kneeling next to his wheelchair. “Professor?”

Xavier turned to him, naked grief on his proud face. “Logan…its Rogue.”

Logan felt a fresh wave of panic building as he grabbed Charles’s arm. “Chuck, where is she?”


Logan stood outside the darkened room, pondering the small still form lying on the bed. After talking with Xavier and Ororo, he managed to get to the truth of the accident. They had been coming back from the mall; their shopping done and everyone in high spirits as they talked and sang in the car.

Ororo said that the other driver had been drinking and had run a red light. Kitty had yelled a warning and Ororo managed to put a buffer of air between the two cars, trying to absorb some of the impact.

It was the only reason that she was still alive with only minor injuries instead of in the ICU or, even worse, dead. Logan hadn’t been aware that she possessed that kind of control. But sometimes desperation lent strength.

The buffer had helped but hadn’t stopped the oncoming car from hitting them and causing some damage.

Kitty had been in the front seat and Rogue and Jennifer had been in the back. Kitty managed to phase herself out of the car and escape any injury. The others however had been unable to escape.

Jennifer hadn’t been wearing her seatbelt and upon impact, was thrown into Rogue, knocking them both out. At first, no one realized what had happened as somehow, during the crash Jennifer came into contact with Rogue’s bare skin. Then Rogue had come to and begun screaming in agony.

When the paramedics had gotten everyone out of the car, they realized that Jennifer was dead. They thought the accident was responsible, not realizing the truth that Logan and the professor were only too aware of. Rogue’s mutant power had unintentionally killed her.

Logan quietly opened the door to Rogue’s room; the doctors had been forced to sedate her after the accident and she’d been put in a private room to rest. The room was dimly lit, but Logan could easily make out Marie’s small still form under the blankets.

He walked up to the bed, his heart aching at the bruises and lacerations he could see on her arms and face. He sat on the edge of her bed, and she stirred in her sleep. He reached up, brushing a strand of hair from her face as he thought deeply on what had happened.

He had promised to protect her; had promised himself and her that he would try and keep her from harm. He’d been able to keep that promise to a large extent; but nothing could have prepared him for this.

She was always so careful around others when it came to her power. She was so frightened of hurting someone.

But an accident with a freak twist that no one could have foreseen had undone both her caution and his promise. He wondered if any of them would ever have normal or even semi-normal lives. He carefully wrapped her small hand in the sheet and took it in his own, letting her know that he was there.

Her eyes fluttered open and she stared at him for several seconds without really seeing him.

“Hey kid.”

“Logan?”

“Yeah, how ya feelin’?”

She shrugged even as the tears began to fall down her cheeks.

“Hey, no waterworks now. You’re going to be fine; you’ll be back to driving me and Remy crazy in about a week.”

She pulled her hand away as she began to sob quietly.

Logan reached for her and she shied away.

“Don’t touch me! Ah’m too dangerous. Ah killed her.”

Ignoring her protests, Logan wrapped her in a blanket from the foot of her bed and pulled her into his arms as she began to cry raggedly on his shoulder. “We’ll get through this Rogue, I promise. I’ll be here as long as ya need me; I ain’t goin’ nowhere.”


It was a somber and silent group that returned to the mansion several hours later. Xavier had managed to get Rogue discharged; as her legal guardian he had pulled a few strings and told the doctor that he could monitor her care at the school. Added to that was the fact that the doctor was a bit uncomfortable with her ability and it was relatively easy to bring her home.

Ororo sat in the back of the van, in silence, her eyes closed to stop the nausea she was feeling from the concussion. Logan sat next to her, holding her close and whispering to her every once in awhile.

Remy had taken over the job of comforting Rogue, and he sat in front of them whispering to her in broken Creole French. His arm around her shoulder, holding her close against his side, her head resting on his shoulder.

Kitty was the only one not hurt from the accident but she too was quiet; shaken deeply by what had happened. She sat next to Jean, resting her head against the window as the older woman held her hand in sympathy.

Jennifer was still at the hospital awaiting the arrival of her parents to make the final arrangements.

When they arrived at the school, Hank and Scott were waiting for them. Jean walked up to the mansion with her arm around Kitty’s shoulder, hugging Scott as he led the two of them inside.

Hank took Rogue down to the infirmary followed closely by Remy while Logan cared for Ororo. He carried her up the stairs, despite her protests.

“I am able to walk Logan.”

“Not with that concussion ya ain’t. Or do you want a repeat of when ya tried to get out of bed at the hospital and walk out without help?”

Her faint blush was answer enough for him.

The doctor had ordered a wheelchair be brought to take her out to the hospital.

But she had refused.

Logan understood why.

The woman was stubborn and determined. She wanted to walk out of the hospital under her own power. But it hadn’t worked out that way. When she stood up, her legs had given out.

If he hadn’t been standing next to her, ready to catch her, she would have added to her injuries. He knew that the incident had injured her pride but she had swallowed it when the doctor again insisted on a wheelchair.

“Will you at least let me walk through the front door? I do not wish to worry the children.”

“’Ro, ya’ve been in a car accident; ya’ve every right ta be injured. The students will worry whether ya walk in or I carry ya.”

He watched her closely when she stiffened slightly in his arms. He dropped his voice, meaning for her to be the only one to hear what he had to say. “Just let me carry ya, please; it makes me feel better.”

She reluctantly gave in, resting her head on his shoulder.

He tightened his arms around her as she relaxed, closing her eyes, putting her trust in him to get her safely to her room.

She was nearly asleep before he even reached her room; warm and peaceful in his arms.

He opened her door, placing her on the bed as he reached down to take off her shoes.

She rolled onto her side as he set her shoes down and turned to go. She reached out, grabbing his arm, stopping him from leaving.

He looked at her, seeing that her eyes were open again and filled with sadness.

“Stay with me, until I am asleep?”

He nodded, kissing her gently. He pulled up a chair next to her bed, holding her hand as she slowly drifted off to sleep. When she finally fell asleep, he stood and left the room quietly. He sent out a mental probe to Jean.

Jean? After a moment, he felt her gentle touch in his mind as she answered him.

What is it Logan?

I put ‘Ro in her room; she’s asleep. The doctor said she needs to be checked every couple of hours. Just thought you should know.

Thanks Logan, Hank and I’ll take care of that. The professor would like to see you though.



“How is she Chuck?”

The last few hours had seemed to draw something from the gifted man. He sat in his wheel chair, his spine stiff and straight, but his face etched in grief and worry. “Shaken, to say the least. I have done all that I know to lessen the immediate mental trauma but the rest will take time. Of all the things that might have happened, I never thought we would lose a student like this.”

“What’s the next step?”

Xavier sighed. “We let her recover and we watch her closely. Beyond that I simply don’t know.”

A new thought occurred to Logan as he remembered something about Rogue's powers. “Ya told me that Rogue not only absorbs someone’s life force, she takes their memories, their skills and personalities and their powers. What about Jennifer’s personality, will it always be there?”

“I don’t know Logan. The only thing we can do at this point is to wait and see what happens to her. But I greatly fear that this absorption is permanent.”

“What were Jennifer’s powers?”

“Flight and super human strength and endurance.”

“God help us.”

“If this is indeed permanent, we are going to have to teach her to control these powers and quickly; before she unintentionally hurts someone else.”

There was a sense of fear emanating from the older man. Wordlessly, Logan reached out and put his hand on his shoulder.





You must login () to review.