“I don’t know how ya do it ‘Ro. I just don’t know how ya do it.”

“Are you still babbling out there Logan?”

Logan and Ororo were once more in her loft room, preparing for bed. She was currently in the bathroom, brushing her teeth by the noise of running water and the smell of mint on the air. He was lying back against her headboard thinking back on the rest of the day.

The day had ended relatively peacefully, despite its rather chaotic beginning. And despite the chaotic whirlwind that had rushed from the greenhouse and into the mansion in the form of Jean and Ororo and their demands to go dancing on New Year’s Eve. They had come inside, determined and stubborn as hell, meaning to get their way no matter what it took.

It had taken only an hour of browbeating to wear down Scott and Logan and get them to accede to their demands. It had taken far less time to get Betsy on board with the idea. And only an instant for her to convince Warren that it would also be in his best interests to simply go along for the ride.

Warren, being the intelligent and rational human being that he was realized that simply giving in without a fight was probably in the best interest of his continued mental and physical health.

Of course, Logan and Scott had seen it the exact same way, but they had enjoyed messing with Jean and Ororo until finally giving in.

“One of these days yer gonna have ta explain just how ya manage ta get all of us ta do just whatever ya want. Even when none of us have any intention of goin’along with ya in the first place.” He turned to look at her as she stepped out of the bathroom.

She had a strange smile on her face as she leaned against the wall, watching him as he watched her. “As I told you before Logan, the sooner you realize that I have you under my complete control, the sooner the humiliation will end.”

He laughed as she pushed away from the wall and sat next to him on the bed. He reached out, taking her hand in his, twining his fingers through his. “Did I ever tell ya that I find it sexy as hell when yer devious and sly?” He pulled her towards him, nibbling her neck gently.

She chuckled even as she leaned into his caress. “Really Logan, is the thought of taking me out dancing so repellant to you that you think I must be devious to get my way?”

Logan pulled back, smiling as he chuckled. “Hell no ‘Ro. I just think ya used it as an excuse is all.”

She chuckled again as his hands began to wander over her body once more. “You are a very fast learner.”

He reached up to shut off the light, pulling her down into the bed next to him. “I try darlin’.”


The days until New Year’s passed quickly and peacefully. And a short time before they were to leave, Ororo was in her room getting ready while Remy pestered her about how she had decided to spend her evening.

“Remy had hoped to spend da evening wit Marie and his Stormy. You do not have to go dancing wit da Wolverine to have a good time.” His voice held a slightly peevish tone; almost like a child annoyed at being denied something he had demanded.

Ororo rolled her eyes slightly as she continued to fix her hair and makeup at her vanity. She looked at her brother’s reflection as he sat on her bed, juggling several sharp knives. She had always admired the deft skill he exhibited when he juggled but now the habit was simply annoying her because she knew that he was trying to distract her.

“I do wish that you would call Logan by his name. And one day soon you will have to tell me just what it is that you do not like about him.”

Remy caught the knives and put them away in various hidden locations on his person. He met Ororo’s eyes in the mirror and shrugged. “He is dating Remy’s sister. Remy is not happy ‘bout dat.”

Ororo put the finishing touches on her face and hair and stood, facing him. “Be that as it may, brother dear, we have had this conversation before and as I recall I told you to kindly butt out.”

Remy’s lips thinned slightly and his eyes narrowed but he simply nodded.

Ororo reached behind him grabbing her jacket from the bed. As she straightened, she touched his cheek and gave him a kiss on his forehead. She smiled at his quiet sigh. “I know that it bothers you that I am seeing anyone, let alone that the man I am dating is Logan. But he makes me happy. All I ask is that you be happy that I am happy. Can you do that for me?”

Remy nodded, a sly smile floating across his face as he reached up to touch her hand which still rested on his cheek. “Remy is happy dat you are happy.”

Ororo smiled at him, straightening up and heading for the door. “Good. Keep an eye on the other students and call mine or Jean’s cell if anything goes wrong.”

“Yes ‘Cher.”

She smiled again and walked out the door to meet everyone else downstairs.


Jean and Betsy were waiting in the foyer with Scott and Warren when she came down the stairs. Jean and Betsy were laughing and talking excitedly and when they caught sight of her they drew her into their circle and the three of them began to talk at once.
Behind them Scott and Warren sighed and shook their heads.

Logan began coming down the stairs a few moments later, a cigar in one hand, his Stetson in the other. He paused on the landing, a strange look on his face as he watched Ororo, Jean and Betsy talking and laughing. He didn’t even turn his head when Remy approached him quietly.

“What do ya want Cajun?”

Remy shrugged as he too looked at the scene down below. “Remy is not happy. Ororo is, but Remy is not.”

Logan put his cigar in mouth and chewed the end lightly, feeling the tobacco inside press together and crunch as he applied pressure. He grunted at Remy’s words. “Don’t see how that has anythin’ ta do with me.”

“You are dating Remy’s sister. It does not make him happy.”

Logan snorted. “I told ya before Gumbo, that’s yer problem not mine.”

Remy’s heated whisper was as loud as if he’d shouted in Logan’s ear. “Stop seeing her Logan.”

Logan couldn’t hide his surprise as he looked at Remy. “What?”

Remy stepped closer, his eyes full of heated rage. “You heard Remy da first time.”

“Yer damned right I did but I can’t believe ya’d think I’d listen.”

“Dere need be not’ing more between you, no more hatred between us. Just walk away from her.”

Logan turned to face him, pointing a finger at the younger man, his cigar clenched between two fingers. “Listen ta me and listen ta me good Swamp Rat. I told ya before and I’m tellin’ ya again, I ain’t steppin’ outta her life on yer say so. If ya don’t want ta see us together, then stay away from her when I’m around and ya won’t have ta. But if ya keep pushin’ me, I’m gonna start pushin’ back and it’s gonna get bloody between us. Ya got that?”

Remy’s fists clenched against his sides. “Don’t force Remy to make you leave her.”
Logan smiled, a chilling smile he’d often used to intimidate his enemies. He knew the feel of it on his face and hated that it came so easily to him at that moment to use against the younger, misguided fool in front of him. “Kid, the day ya can force me ta do anythin’ll be the day I eat my hat.” He placed said hat on his head and took a step down the stairs.

Remy’s voice stopped him. “Do not test me Logan. You will stay away from her, Remy will see to dat. No matter what it takes.”

Logan put the cigar in his mouth, turning to face him one last time.

“Dream on Gumbo. Bigger men then ya have tried gettin’ me ta do what they wanted and they’re all dead. Don’t make me add ya ta the list.” He turned leaving Remy behind on the stairs as he walked down them to join the group. He smiled as Ororo reached out to him, a strange look on her face.

“Logan is everything all right?”

Logan shrugged wondering just how much she had seen. “Everythin’s great. Ya guys ready?” Everyone nodded. “Great, let’s get out of here.” Logan smiled, twining Ororo’s arm through his as they left the mansion.


They arrived at the club a short time later, the trio of women laughing and talking excitedly as they entered the building.

Logan paused a moment outside the building, hearing and feeling the beat of the music that thumped from it. He looked at the large crowd slowly making their way to the entrance and sighed. He wondered if anyone would notice if he simply turned around and walked away.

In front of him, Scott and Warren turned around, seeing him hanging back and immediately stepped back to grab him. “If you think that we’re going to let you hang back and somehow slip the noose…” Scott began as he grabbed Logan’s arm.

“You have another thing comin’ mate.” Warren finished as he grabbed the other arm.
Logan growled lightly as they dragged him into the building but didn’t fight them. He was not looking forward to the rest of the night.


Inside, the club was just as noisy and crowded as he’d feared. He followed the others to a table doing his best to ignore the people, the noise and the odors that assaulted him.
They spent the first hour or so, talking, laughing, drinking and dancing. After a couple of beers he relaxed a bit and even let Ororo lead him out to the dance floor for a couple of dances.

But Logan also noticed a slight change in Ororo as well. After her first couple of drinks, she grew quiet and thoughtful, almost lost in her own world. During their first trip on the dance floor, she seemed to be enjoying herself. But it soon became apparent that something was bothering her. And Logan was pretty sure that he knew what it was.

“Yer kinda quiet tonight. Ya’ll right?”

Ororo smiled slightly as she wrapped her arms around his neck as they danced to the sweet tones of Patsy Cline. “Just thinking.”

“Anythin’ in particular.”

She sighed slightly, biting her lip as she thought. “Logan, I must ask you something?”

“Yeah?”

“Why were you arguing with Remy before we left?”

He sighed loudly in annoyance. “Do we have ta talk bout this now?”

Her voice was firm. “Yes, we do.”

Logan tried another tactic, trying to subtly change the subject. “Are ya sure it was an argument darlin’? I thought it was a discussion.”

She fixed him with a firm stare, unmoved. “Logan, I know an argument when I see one. I could feel the anger radiating between the two of you. If I did not know the two of you, I would swear that you were bitter enemies. Now, please tell me what is going on.”

Logan shrugged. “It’s nothin’, we just don’t see eye ta eye on somethin’.”

Her eyes narrowed and they stopped dancing. “Logan, you will tell me the truth, or I will zap your ass and leave you here to catch the fallout of your miraculous recovery.”

He held up his hands in surrender. “Fine. He don’t seem too keen on me datin’ ya is all.”

She sighed as they began to dance once more. “I had hoped our conversation might have helped that.”

“I had a conversation with him too, when we started datin’. It didn’t seem ta help either.”
Ororo sighed, an exasperated yet patient look coming over her face. “My brother means well. He is very protective of me. He just does not want to see me hurt.”

Logan didn’t bother to hide his irritation at both the conversation and her brother. “I know, but he ain’t protectin’ ya, he’s smotherin’ ya.”

“I know. But he means well.”

Logan snorted. “Yeah well, I’m doin’ my best not ta beat his sorry ass into the floor.”

Ororo stopped moving, a somewhat angered look on her face. “Logan.”

He didn’t even attempt to placate her. He was tired of having to defend his actions and his words. The kid was her brother but that didn’t give him any special rights to harass them. “What do you want me ta say, that I enjoy bein’ verbally attacked whenever he comes into the room?”

Ororo sighed, slowly shaking her head. “No, I suppose not.”

“Good, then maybe it might be time to have another ‘talk’ with him.”

“Perhaps.”

For several moments there was silence between them as they continued dancing, the song changing as couples wandered on and off the floor. Logan hoped that the conversation would ease her mind, but she still remained thoughtful and quiet.

He reached up to touch her face. It caught her attention and she looked at him. “’Ro, this ain’t just about Remy, what else is on yer mind?”

Her voice was quiet, even worried. “I am not sure if I should tell you Logan.”

Logan’s mouth lifted in a slight smile as he decided to pick at her. “Well, if ya don’t I’m going ta feel the need ta take ya outside and cheer ya up. And at the rate we’ve been goin’ lately, everyone here might get trapped in the blizzard.”

She gave him a wry smile. “Very funny.”

“Seriously though, what’s wrong?”

She stopped dancing, took his hand and led him off the dance floor. “Come with me, I would like to sit and have a drink while I explain something.”

“This don’t sound good.”

She turned and gave him a pleading look. “Please Logan, this is important.”

He relented and let her lead them back to their empty table. He flagged down a passing waitress and ordered another round for the two of them. A few minutes later, their drinks in front of them, he waited for her to begin the conversation.

But she had once again retreated inside of herself and simply sat there playing with the paper umbrella in her drink. Using it to push the ice cubes around and around in her glass.

Finally, he realized that maybe he needed to prime the pump a bit. “’Ro, I don’t want ta put any pressure on ya, but if ya were plannin’ on tellin’ me before the year’s out, ya do have a time limit here.”

She sighed, letting the paper umbrella go as she looked at him. “I am not quite sure on how to begin.”

He took a sip of his beer, his tone light. “How ‘bout the beginning?”

She took a deep breath and just plunged into the conversation. “Remy has very good reason to be overprotective of me.”

Whatta mean?”

“Surely you realize that you are not the first person that I have dated or slept with.”

Logan felt everything click into place. And in that moment, he knew exactly what she wanted to talk to him about. But he decided to play along. “Course I don’t. Ain’t neither one of us come into this with a clean slate ‘Ro. But that still don’t explain his attitude.”

She looked down at her hands, before she looked him in the eye. “Logan, there is something I must tell you. I was in love with someone once, several years ago, before I met you. The relationship was very serious; he even proposed to me.”

Logan held up a hand, stopping her from going any further. “If yer gonna tell me ‘bout Forge, ya don’t have ta, I already know.”

Ororo looked at him in surprise. “But how?”

“Jean and I had a very serious talk before we started datin’, when I was still sortin’ out how I felt ‘bout ya. Jean thought she should tell me so that I wouldn’t hurt ya like he did.”

“Jean told you.”

Logan could see the anger in her eyes and reached out to take her hand. “Yeah, but she did it cause she loves ya. She wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t stomp all over yer heart like he did.”

She nodded, pushing the anger back down. “I suppose I should have expected that from her. They have all been so…smothering since he left. I have nearly been driven insane because of their well intentioned meddling.” She took a long drink. “Surely if you know about Forge then you understand why Remy is so overbearing with you.”

Logan shrugged. “Yeah, I guess I do. I’d probably have reacted the same way if Drake had hurt Rogue. But he’s gotta get it in his head that I ain’t Forge. Everyone around ya is so damned set on protectin’ ya they’ve forgotten that I ain’t nothin’ like the man.”

“Then you are not angry at him?”

“I said I understood darlin’. I didn’t say I was gonna ignore his damned behavior.

“Logan, please…”

“No, Ororo. I won’t hurt him, I can promise ya that much but he and I will settle this, our way. Ya said that ya wanted everyone else to back outta yer life and let ya live it. Well this is the same damned thing. We’ll handle it.” She didn’t look convinced. He ignored her skepticism and turned the conversation back to the real topic. “Now, since you brought it up, I think we should talk about that good fer nothin’ lowlife ya nearly married.”

“I am not sure that would be a good idea.”

“’Ro, I’ve talked with ya ‘bout the women in my life, a lot more than ya’ve talked ta me ‘bout the men in yers. I admit that I wasn’t lookin’ for a relationship with ya at the time. Ya offered me a shoulder and I took it. If I’d known about Forge I’d have offered the same thing, then. But this is different. Ya know the baggage I come with. I’m still guessin’ ‘bout ya. I think we need ta clear the air.”

“All right. What do you wish to know?”

“Tell me about him; why’d ya fall for him?”

Ororo sighed, playing with her drink again as she thought back on those days. “Forge was different than any other man I had ever met. He was charming, handsome, sophisticated, worldly and he wanted to be with me. What girl in her right mind would have been able to resist?

“He told me everything I ever wanted or needed to hear. He treated me like some priceless treasure. He was attentive, sensitive and seemed to genuinely care about what I was thinking and feeling. He set the world at my feet for the taking.”

Logan took a sip of his beer, reaching out to touch her arm. “So what happened?”

“It was too good to be true. I fell for him, hard, so very, very hard. He put a great deal of effort into making all of my dreams come true; at least those dreams that coincided with the ones that he had. I had no idea that was so willing to throw away those dreams that meant the most to me and should have meant the most to him as well.

“He had no intention of staying with the X-men and becoming part of Charles’s dream. Do not misunderstand, he was quite flattered by the efforts Charles and Scott put into recruiting him to their cause. But he always felt that he was destined for greater things than fighting for mutant rights and the dreams of some deluded telepath.”

“Sounds like someone’s a little bitter.”

“Perhaps I am. But then again, I have every right to be. He was a man who claimed to love me. More importantly he was a man who claimed to want to spend the rest of his life with me. What was important to me should have been important to him. For no other reason than that it was important to me. But he ridiculed us instead.”

“How’d ya find out about how he really felt?”

“Jean told me that he was projecting wildly the night that he left. She could not help but sense his thoughts. She and Charles agreed never to tell me what he really felt. But they became very concerned over my depression and Jean shared his thoughts with me. When I saw how he really felt about us, about how really felt about me, I refused to spare another thought or shed another tear for him.”

“That explains what ya did after he left, not talkin’ ‘bout it and everything. But what about the night he popped the question? If ya loved him ‘Ro, why’d ya hesitate?”

“When he proposed, I wanted to say yes, but something inside of me held those words back. There was a part of myself that did not want what he offered. It is something I still cannot explain to myself or anyone who has asked me. But it did not feel right and I found myself unwilling to settle. So, I said nothing. I neither agreed nor refused him. He was the one that saw it as a rejection.

“When he left, I thought my world had come to an end. I did not know what to do without him and so I pretended that it never happened. I was a damned fool to deny that he broke my heart. I have been an even bigger fool these past years in allowing the memory of how he hurt me to continue hurting me.”

Logan shrugged. “Ya loved him, yer supposed to feel pain when those that ya love hurt ya.”

“I was so sure that I loved him; so head over heels for him that it makes my head spin just remembering it. But looking back now, I am not so sure.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because now I know in my heart that he did not love me. Not like everyone else here does, not like I needed to be loved.” She reached out to stroke his cheek. “And most assuredly, not like you love me.”

Logan looked at her, holding himself very still. So still that anyone around them might have thought he was part of the background. He searched her face wondering how much she might know about his feelings and how much she might just be fishing for.

His voice was soft and neutral when he asked. “What makes ya so sure that I’m in love with ya?”

“You told me earlier that you are nothing like Forge and wish that everyone would remember that. I know very well that you are nothing like him. You have never once treated me as he did.

“Never once have you treated me as if I am anything less than your equal, in public or private. Never once have you told me that what I believe in is a fool’s dream or worse. And never once have you expected more from me than I am willing to give. There were never any ultimatums given to be with you. You are as different from him as I am from Jean.”

“And ‘cause of that, ya think I love ya?”

“Let me explain another way. Forge told me that he loved me often, sometimes several times a day. He made it a point to tell me as often as he could. He seemed to think that I needed to hear the words and that somehow just the words would be enough. But now I wonder how I could have believed him when he never really meant them.”

“Maybe he thought he did.”

“Perhaps, but I have another thought. I do not think that he loved me, not really. But it is not the same for you.”

“Meanin’?”

“You have never said you loved me, not once in all the time that I have known you. Not even as friends are wont to say it to each other. But I know that you do love me.

“You may not have said it out loud but I can still see it. Every time that you look at me I can feel it in your eyes. Every time that you touch me, I feel it in your hands. Whenever you do something for me that I know you would not normally do, I see love in you and I know that love is for me.”

“’Ro I…”

“No Logan, this is not meant to pressure you into saying the words. I would not cheapen what either of us feels for the other by doing that. If I force you to say them before you are ready, then those words become meaningless and empty. When you are ready you will tell me; I can wait until then.

“But know this; there is no specter of the past between us. I love you and my heart belongs to only you.” She smiled at him, kissing him gently.

He looked at her sitting there so confident and sure about what she had just said. He knew in that moment that she did indeed love him, no matter his faults, no matter the ghosts of his past or the blood on his hands. And he felt suddenly humbled by that truth.

He reached out to take her hands in his own, studying the contrast of the size of their hands and the color of their skin. And as he laced his fingers with hers, he realized that for him the contrast had some time ago become a melding. When he looked down at their joined hands, he couldn’t see their differences any longer. All he could see was how well they fit together and how well they completed each other, inside and out.

He looked into her face, seeing the love she felt for him shining brightly in her eyes. It pulled at him, pushing around his defenses and sinking its claws directly into his heart. He sat there, gently stroking her hands as they lay entwined in his and simply let go. He simply stopped fighting and prepared himself to lay his heart and everything he was at her feet.

He had never felt so, naked before anyone before, almost as if he could no longer hide anything from her; as if she could see directly into his heart and soul. He opened his mouth to tell her and got no further.

There was a sudden loud cheer from the dance floor that drew his attention and drowned out any attempts at conversation. As Logan turned to see what was going on, he felt Jean projecting a wave of joy at them. She overpowered his natural barriers and he heard her voice clear as day in his head.

Yes! Yes! Yes! The same words repeated over and over again.

The crowd parted slightly and Logan could see Scott on one knee, getting to his feet to embrace Jean who had tears in her eyes. The crowd cheered as Scott and Jean kissed. A few minutes later, Scott let her go and Jean raced off the dance floor to the table where Logan and Ororo sat.

He watched as Jean embraced Ororo, who also had tears in her eyes, nearly knocking her friend over in her enthusiasm.

Jean pulled back from Ororo, holding out her hand, the brilliant diamond Scott had picked out glittering in the light of the club.

“We’re getting married!”

Logan growled softly at Scott’s terrible timing but swallowed it when Ororo shot him a strange look.

Ororo reached down to inspect the diamond, her smile more radiant than the sparkling gem she was admiring.

Logan watched her as she and Jean admired the ring and talked in excited voices about ideas and plans. He reached across the table, taking her hand and squeezing it slightly.

She glanced up at him for a moment, her smile lighting her eyes.
He gazed into her eyes and let her know that for the moment, their conversation would be put on hold. But the next chance they got, they would finish what she had started.
Then she turned her attention back to Jean and the moment was lost as Scott came up to the table.

Logan turned to Scott, shaking his hand and congratulating him. He then grabbed the nearest waitress and ordered the best bottle of champagne they had. He sat back and watched the celebration that unfolded around him.


A couple of hours later found the girls heading towards the bathroom, buzzing on champagne and good spirits while the guys stayed behind at the table nursing their beers.
Scott and Warren were presently pleasantly drunk and despite his healing factor, Logan was feeling pleasantly buzzed himself.

“I suppose congratulations are in order mate. Though I can’t say Bets or I ever expected you two to ever get to this point.”

Scott looked over at Warren, the club lights dancing off his red shades. “Really. And just when are you and Betsy going to get married?”

Warren shrugged. “Haven’t really discussed it. Suppose we’ll get there ourselves someday soon; although thanks to you probably sooner than I expected if Bets has any say in it.”

Scott’s reply was sarcastic and just shy of being snide. “Which of course we know she does.”

Logan snorted. “Are ya kiddin’? I’m surprised she ain’t beat Warren ta the punch and popped the question herself.”

Scott laughed while Warren scowled. “Seems to me that you might not be too far behind the two of us in the marriage department boyo.”

Logan shot Scott a look that would have bent steel. Scott gave him a completely innocent look back. “Remind never ta tell ya shit, ya can’t keep a secret ta save yer life One Eye.”

Warren laughed as Scott leaned across the table, his tone a bit pissed off. “I didn’t tell him a damn thing, you just did genuis.”

“Boy she must have really got under your skin if you’re making rookie mistakes like that one. So are you and ‘Ro getting hitched then?”

Logan scowled, taking a deep slug from his beer, realizing that he’d been quite cleanly caught. “No, it ain’t bout that. I just figured out I’m in love with her and I’ve been bustin’ my brain tryin’ ta figure out how ta tell her and she beats me ta the punch.”

Scott and Warren didn’t even attempt to hide their surprise. “She told you she loves you?”

Logan nodded. “Yeah she did. And thanks a bunch Cyke for yer terrible timin’.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I was just about to tell her I loved her when you popped the question. Needless to say, we haven’t finished that conversation yet.”

Warren turned to Scott, his voice dropping to a stage whisper. Which, because of the noise of the club meant that he was simply talking loud and not shouting. “Man he’s in it deep isn’t he?”

“Yeah, problem is he won’t realize it until she tosses him a life preserver.”

“Man I’d hate to be you right now.”

“Meanin’?”

“Meaning, you’d better find your girl and finish that conversation right quick.”

Logan scowled as he threw back the rest of his beer. A few seconds later, he stood up from the table to do just that.


Inside the bathroom the trio stood in front of the mirror talking, laughing and adjusting their hair and clothes before returning to their table.

Ororo watched Jean as she admired her ring several times, seemingly unable to take her eyes off.

Betsy noticed her behavior also and reached over to grab Jean’s hand, admiring the ring again. “What a trip, engaged to our boy scout. How’s it feel?”

“Like I’m walking on a cloud. I can’t stop smiling. My face is cramping and I can’t get it to stop.”

Ororo chuckled. “And you thought that you would never be able to fly.”

Jean laughed, reaching out to grab the hand of her oldest friend. “You’re up at bat next Bets. When are you going to drag Warren to the altar?”

Betsy laughed herself, studying her reflection in the mirror. “As soon as I can convince him it was his idea in the first place.”

“What, you’re going to wait for hell to freeze over so he can think that he’s the one that made the decision?”

The others laughed.

“Well, maybe not quite that long. But he’ll come around soon enough. You wait and see.” Betsy finished reapplying her lipstick and turned her attention to Ororo.

“And what about you ‘Ro, when are you going to conk Logan over the head with the idea of ‘happily ever after’?”

“Really Betsy we have just started dating. Give us a bit more time before you expect me to bash him over the head with something like that. Besides I think I have given him quite enough to think about tonight.”

Jean and Betsy gave her puzzled looks. “What, did you tell him you’re pregnant or something?”

“Really Jean, I wanted to surprise the man, not kill him.”

Betsy laughed loudly as Jean breathed a sigh of relief. “So what exactly did you give him to think about tonight?”

“I told him that I was in love with him.”

Jean clapped her hands together like a little kid receiving a long anticipated gift. “And what did he say?”

Ororo shrugged. “There was nothing to say; you interrupted him with your engagement.”

Jean’s face fell and she reached out to touch Ororo’s shoulder. “I had no idea. God ‘Ro, I’m so sorry.”

Ororo shook her head. “There is no need to apologize. How could you possibly have known that Logan and I would end up having this conversation tonight? Or even that Scott was going to propose? We shall finish are conversation, have no fear of that.”

Betsy slapped her hands together and stepped towards the door. “Well I don’t know about you girls, but I say its time we get back to the menfolk before they start talking amongst themselves and comparing notes. I don’t want to have to retrain Warren again.”

The others laughed as she stepped outside.

Jean moved to follow her but Ororo hung back. Jean looked back at her questioningly as she reached the door. “You all right?”

Ororo smiled slightly. “Yes, I just need a moment.”

Jean stepped back to her, feeling a touch of sadness through their mental link. “He really does love you, you know.”

Ororo sighed feeling the slight sting of unshed tears as she fought not to cry. “I know he does. I would not have told him the truth of my feelings if I believed otherwise.”

“But sometimes, no matter how much you say otherwise, you need to hear the words.”

“Yes.”

Jean reached out to hug her close for a moment and then left the room.

Behind her, Ororo stared at her reflection in the mirror. She had meant what she said to Logan earlier, she had no desire to force the words from him before he was ready to give them. But now, after a few more drinks and seeing how wonderfully happy and in love Scott and Jean were, she found herself wondering exactly when everything had changed.


A few moments later, Ororo stepped out of the bathroom feeling much better. She had decided to push the thoughts of doubt and uncertainty to the back of her mind until after she and Logan had finished their conversation.

She would enjoy the rest of the evening and try not ruin Jean and Scott’s night. And she would enjoy her night out with Logan. Goddess knew that once school began again they would be hard pressed to find enough time together.


She was just about to head back to the table when a man, six feet tall, blonde, gorgeous and covered in muscles blocked her path. She looked up at him and smiled politely even as she felt a hint of annoyance.

“Hey gorgeous. I’ve been watching you all night. How’s about a dance?”
From his slurred voice, she could tell that he was drunk. “No, thank you. I am here with somebody.” She brushed by him, forcing him to move.

He reached out and grabbed her arm in a vise-like grip. “So am I, but that don’t mean we can’t have a good time with each other. Besides, it’s just a dance.”

“Release me.” Her voice was cool and collected. But inside she was furious at both his words and his actions. She knew that she couldn’t simply brush him off; he wouldn’t listen. And giving him a small taste of her own special “spark” would only draw unwanted attention and ruin Jean’s special night. If she had no other choice, she could simply “encourage” him to let her go.

But if she lost control, she could end up hurting not only the drunkard, but anyone that came to his defense. Ororo had no real wish to hurt him or anyone else in the club. So for the moment, she would keep her cool.

“Come on doll, just one dance.”

She tired freeing her arm and felt his grip tighten. This was definitely one that she could not simply brush aside. “No, now if you will release me I wish to return to my date.”

The man laughed as he let her arm fall. “You mean that shrimp I saw you with earlier? Don’t make me laugh. Honey, what you need is a real man.”

She had intended to ignore him, but when she took a step away from him, he simply blocker her path again. She crossed her arms as she contemplated him. “And you just happen to think that you qualify.”

He fairly leered at her, the liquor making what might have been a boyish grin nothing more than a simple twisting of his handsome face. “Sure do honey. How’s about you take me outside for a spin?”

She opened her mouth to give him a scathing reply when she heard someone come up behind him. The drunk’s tall body blocked her view but she would have recognized his gravelly voice anywhere. “Logan.”


Logan saw the entire scene unfold before his eyes as he approached the lady’s room. He’d seen Ororo come out of the bathroom and the drunk come up to her and talk to her, even grabbing her arm.

He felt his lips pull back in a snarl as he watched the jackass grab her arm and then refuse to let go. He felt the beast within come awake and begin to rise slowly to the surface. He knew that she could take of herself; had no doubt that she could easily handle the jerkoff without even breaking a sweat.

But the sight of another man laying hands on her when she so obviously didn’t want him to angered him and awoke the possessive side to his feral self. He shoved through the crowd, arriving just as he heard the drunk ask Ororo to step outside with him and take him for a spin.

“How’s about I take you outside to bust yer ass. The lady’s with me.”

They both turned to him.

Ororo looked somewhat relieved and annoyed. “Logan.”

The drunk just looked annoyed. “It’s the shrimp.”

Logan tilted the Stetson up on his head, eyeballing the much taller stranger. His eyes were cold, and lifeless. “Who ya callin’ shrimp, bub?”

The drunk failed to notice either his body language or his eyes and took another jab at him. “You, last time I checked.”

Logan stepped closer to the drunk. “You might want to rethink that last one, bub.”

The drunk snorted, seemingly unimpressed. Not recognizing the danger that he had just placed himself in. If he’d been sober, he might have seen the murderous look that crossed Logan’s face. Then again he might not have, no one would ever really know for sure. “Oh yeah, why?”

Before the drunk could react, Logan punched him in the stomach, forcing him to bend over and then put him a head lock. The man struggled but Logan’s grip was unbreakable. “’Cause, ya wouldn’t want me ta ruin that pretty face now would ya?” Logan held up his hand turning them slightly so the man’s body blocked anyone else’s view and let his claws slowly slide from his hands.

As the blades slid slowly between his fingers, Logan watched as the drunkard’s eyes grew larger and larger until Logan was afraid they’d pop right out of his head. He stopped fighting as he watched those blades slide through the space directly in front of his face.

“Now I think ya owe the lady an apology.”

The drunk nodded slightly, never taking his eyes off of Logan’s claws. “I’m sorry man. I’m really, really sorry. Just please don’t hurt me.”

Logan shifted his grip slightly, letting his hand shake just a little, watching the drunk quiver with sheer terror as those razor sharp blades danced in front of his face. “Now the next time a lady tells ya she don’t want to dance, what are ya gonna do?”

“Nothing man, I’m just gonna walk away.” The drunk was breathing rapidly, almost hyperventilating, his wide eyes never leaving Logan’s triple threat.

Logan nodded, almost like an understanding teacher trying to make a point to a somewhat obtuse student. “Good, and the next time a lady tells ya ta let her go, what are ya gonna do?”

“I’m gonna let her go.” Again the man stammered.

Logan smiled, retracting his claws as he let go of the drunk. “I’m really glad we had this little talk. We should have another one again, real soon. Now go on, get the hell outta here.”

The bigger man stumbled away, fear and drink causing him to lose his balance.

Behind him Ororo turned to Logan, anger all over her face. “I could have handled that Logan.”

“Yeah, I know. But I didn’t want ya to have ta slug him out in the club.”

“Damn it Logan that is not what I meant and you know it. I am perfectly capable of dealing with an overzealous drunk. And I am perfectly capable of protecting myself. Who do you think has been doing it all this time before you?”

“Don’t play word games with me ‘Ro. Ya didn’t stop me did ya?”

“Would you have stopped if I had asked?”

“No.”

“Then what does it matter?”

“He was touchin’ ya and ya didn’t want him ta. It pissed me off.”

“So now you shall attack anyone who touches me is that it?”

“No, it ain’t like that.”

“Then exactly what is it like Logan? Because from here that is exactly what it looked like.”

He reached out, pinning her to the wall, his eyes glittering with suppressed rage and something more. He looked at her, feeling her heart race and her breath rushing in and out of her lungs. He leaned into her, feeling her body mold itself to his, fitting against him perfectly despite the differences in their height.

He reached up to touch her face, felt her shiver at his touch. The anger inside him turned into burning passion at the feel of her pressed against him, shivering from such a simple caress.

The beast within him had been awakened when Logan witnessed the drunk grab Ororo against her will. But it had remained quiet, simply observing while Logan dealt with him. Now, in the face of Ororo’s anger, it rose again, asserting itself without taking control.

Logan felt a touch of the beast come into his voice, coloring his feelings and words. “Do ya know what it did ta me ta see him touch ya when I knew ya didn’t want him ta? Do ya know what it did ta me ta see him holdin’ ya against yer will, even though I knew he couldn’t really hurt ya? I wanted ta rip his heart out right here for darin’ ta do it.”
Ororo shivered again as he nuzzled her neck.

“Its part of who I am and I ain’t gonna apologize for it.” He pressed himself against her more firmly his voice falling as more of the beast touched it. “Do ya know what ya do to me every time we touch, every time I make love to ya? I feel like a fighter pilot in a tailspin, just seconds from hittin’ the ground. Ain’t no one else in this world that’s ever done that to me.” He reached up, cupping her chin gently but firmly.

Cerulean eyes met steel gray, both clouded with passion as he moved in, his mouth a breath away from hers. His words wafting softly to her ears as he gave her the words that he had never dared to voice out loud. They were angered, full of passion and yearning and heated. “Yer mine. Ya belong to me, just like I belong ta ya. Ain’t no one else in this world for me ‘Ro. No one. I love ya Ororo.”

Her eyes widened a moment and she reached out to wrap her hands in his shirt, as he closed the distance between them.

His lips touched hers the feel of them setting him on fire. He felt branded by them, possessed by them even as they yielded to him. In the face of her complete surrender, he did the one thing left to him, he surrendered as well.

Around them, the noise of the club faded as he simply let go and fell, surrendering everything he was, everything he strived to be, his heart and soul, and laid it at her feet.


Across the club, Scott and Jean sat in a booth still reveling in the afterglow of joy from the warm celebration they were part of when Jean paused, looking across the club to where Logan and Ororo had disappeared to.

For a moment, she’d felt something from that direction; something joyous and passionate and relieved, all colored by a twinge of fear. She focused for a moment on the projection, ignoring the others as she tried to get a better fix on it.

“Jean, is everything okay?” Scott’s concerned voice drew her back to the table.

She turned to him a beaming smile on her face as she leaned into him, feeling his arm slide across her shoulder to pull her close. “Yes, everything’s fine. Just fine.”





You must login () to review.