With Valentine’s Day firmly behind them, and the end of the school year fast approaching, residents of Xavier’s School for the Gifted turned their attention towards graduation and the beginning of summer. The senior class this year was the largest the school had ever seen and most of the faculty was privately pleased by this.

There were discussions among the faculty over who would choose to stay and who would leave. Most of the seniors had yet to really decide what they wanted to do thinking they had all the time in the world to make that decision. Some would stay on and become a part of the team or the school, training the next generation of mutants in the use of their powers. Others would decide that they’d learned enough and leave to go on and build as normal lives as the world would allow. But whatever they decided, they knew that they would always have a home and a family at the mansion.

As summer approached and graduation loomed over the school, Logan and Ororo found themselves with even less time to spend together then before. Logan had stepped up the training for the students in his class, trying to cram in as much as possible for those that were leaving. Hoping beyond anything that they would never be called upon to use the knowledge he was giving them but still desperate to impart anything and everything he could before they left.

As for Ororo, her time was taken up with her students and the final hectic days of exams and papers, added to that the responsibility of planning the graduation ceremony, having diplomas printed, hiring caterers for the feast they’d promised the graduates and trying desperately to get it all together in time for the big day. Not to mention, her roll in Jean’s wedding as the maid of honor.

Given their suddenly hectic schedules, it was no wonder that often, they simply fell asleep the moment they entered the loft room they now shared. What little time they did manage to spend together was mostly scattered moments throughout the day or week. Short, late night strolls quickly became the norm or short, quiet dinners for two often taken in Ororo’s loft room, away from the prying eyes and demands of the mansion and the school

The chaos only escalated once Jean and Scott picked a wedding date. They had finally decided on sometime before the beginning of the next school year, late August. It was just before the beginning of a new school year, but there would be enough time for them to have a small honeymoon before being called back to their responsibilities at the mansion.

This of course put a great deal of stress on everyone involved; there was after all, very little time in which to plan the whole affair. But once the new school year started, they would be far too busy for either a wedding or honeymoon. And it while things had been quiet on the human/mutant front for months, it was anyone’s guess on just how long that tenuous peace would last.

So they had decided that the sooner, the better. Tragic events of the last year had struck home the fact that sometimes it was best just to close your eyes and take a chance. Better that then spend the rest of your life wondering and regretting. In their minds, they’d waited long enough to take the final step towards marriage. And waiting any longer to have the wedding was not only completely insane but totally unrealistic as well.

So Jean and the other female residents frantically continued planning the wedding while the male half of the mansion simply sat back and watched the escalating chaos with confused and indulgent expressions on their faces. When asked, they merely nodded and agreed with whatever the consensus was and somehow escaped further scrutiny. But they were all in agreement that they would most likely lose their minds before the process had ended.

Things also seemed quiet on the mutant/human debate and warfront. Magneto hadn’t raised his head in quite awhile and no one had much of an idea of what he was up to. The brotherhood that he’d founded created minor trouble every once in awhile but the chaos they caused was short-lived. And more often then not, they managed to fade into the shadows before the trouble escalated out of the capabilities of any of the world government sanctioned teams. But the professor did not trust the peace or his old friend’s suddenly passive turn. He kept his eyes and ears, mental and physical, wide open. A few weeks before graduation something caught his attention. He called Scott, Logan and Ororo to his office.

“You wanted to see us professor?” Scott sat across from the professor while Logan and Ororo simply stood, waiting.

Xavier nodded and held up a manila envelope, handing it to Logan.

“Yes. I have just received a disturbing report from one of my government contacts in New Orleans. It seems that several high ranking members of Magneto’s brotherhood were recently spotted there. They are believed to be simply recruiting new members, but I would very much like to be sure.”

Logan leafed through the envelope, scanning each photograph quickly. Mystique, Pyro, Quicksilver and Toad had all been photographed in various parts of the city. So far none of them had been observed doing anything other then meeting with people and talking. Logan snorted as he handed the file over to Ororo. He had a feeling that wouldn’t last long.

“What do ya need us to do?” He clenched his knuckles a couple of times, the thought of the brotherhood setting his claws itching to be free from inside his forearms.

“I want the three of you to go down to New Orleans and investigate the brotherhood’s activities. This could be simply what it looks like, but I do not believe in taking chances. I want to be absolutely certain that this is nothing more than a recruiting mission for them. Magneto has been quiet for several months now but I do not expect that to stay that way forever.”

Scott nodded, taking the file from Ororo as he stood. “All right, we’ll head down there, take a look.”

Xavier gave them all one last bit of caution before they left. “Keep a low profile if you can. Avoid being seen by any of them and report immediately back to me. I’ve no wish to tip our hand just yet or let them know just how closely they’re being watched.”

“Yes sir.”


They did as Xavier asked, flying down to New Orleans in the blackbird in civilian clothes. They landed just outside of the city where they decided that Ororo and Logan would go into town, disguised while Scott would stay behind and guard the plane. His eyes made him far too conspicuous. Ororo and Logan in the meantime wandered around the city either together or apart searching for clues as to just what The Brotherhood was up to. For nearly a week, the trio traipsed around the city, looking for clues as to the brotherhood’s whereabouts and activities. But everything they heard was at least nearly a week old according to Xavier’s sources. Searches for the members spotted by government agencies turned up empty as well. They seemed to have simply vanished into thin air.

A touch frustrated but relieved at finding nothing to cause any grave concern, Xavier gave them the okay to pack up and return home. But Ororo, being so close to her family decided to visit them before leaving The Big Easy. Scott, who had been to the Lebeau home several times agreed wholeheartedly. And Logan, well Logan knew when to bow to the majority and simply shook his head when Ororo asked him if he minded the detour.

Ororo opted not to call them before hand. Saying that they would like the surprise and it would give her father very little time to gather in the rest of the scattered family. Making the reunion small and personal rather then the large, noisy and chaotic gathering it would be if her father had his way.


Rogue was the first to spot them as they approached the house and she let out a glad cry as she leaped from the porch and raced to them. “Logan!” She threw herself at the stocky man, her smile wide and beaming. She wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly but still mindful of her strength.

He did the same, squeezing her tightly feeling a twinge of relief at the solid feel of her. He smiled as she laughed in his ear. “Hey kid, how ya doin’?”

She pulled back, sniffling slightly as she nodded at him. “Better, a lot better.”

He appraised her and noticed the changes in her. The shadow of grief that had been in her eyes since the day she’d woken crying in the hospital was gone. Only to be replaced with a light and joy that he hadn’t seen in a long while. “You look it. That Cajun treatin’ ya good?”

She nodded. “Yeah, he is.” Her face grew serious as she looked him the eye, searching. “Yer not mad, are ya? About me leaving Ah mean.”

He sighed and shook his head. He knew that this would come up. He had spent a great deal thinking on just how he would address it. But the truth had always worked between them; even when that truth had been less than kind. So he stuck to it. “I was. At least until I talked ta Jimmy. I wanted to stay mad but I understand why ya had to leave.”

She stepped back and crossed her arms across her chest, her posture slightly defensive. “It was good thing Logan. And Ah’m sorry Ah didn’t tell ya’ll.”

Logan reached out and gripped her shoulder in his strong, solid hand and gave it a slight squeeze. “You knew I’d stop ya.”

She nodded. “Ah figured that, yeah.”

He nodded as well and let his hand drop. “Well, I knew where ya was and I left ya be. So maybe we both did the right thing.”

She smiled again and hugged him again. “Yeah, Ah think we did.”

This time, when he pulled back, he studied her closely and he made no bones about it. “Anymore voices, blackouts, anything like that?”

She chuckled and shook her head. “No. And you can tell the professor and the others that she’s gone. She’s been gone for quite a while now.”

“Glad to hear it. I’ll let Jimmy know too; he was real worried ‘bout ya.” Logan nodded and stepped back as Ororo and Scott finally approached them and each one hugged the young woman. He stood back and watched as the woman he loved embraced the young woman and exclaimed over how good she looked. They talked for a couple of moments and then Scott stepped forward and hugged the wayward student fiercely.

Logan heard Scott murmur that the hug was also from Jean and to hurry home. He smiled slightly at the smile it brought to Rogue’s face and he reached out to take Ororo’s hand in his own. He smelled and heard the new comer seconds before he saw him but resisted the urge to react as the man’s forceful voice rang out from the porch.

“What in da name of ‘ell is all da noise out ‘ere? You girls be squealin’ ta wake da dead!”

Ororo’s face split in a wide grin as she let go of Logan’s hand and fairly leaped onto the porch and engulfed the older man in a tight hug. “Papa Jean!”

The older man’s smile was just as wide and free as he clasped his daughter to him, his voice tender and teasing all at the same time. “Mon espiegle!

Logan watched the exchange even as the two fell into conversing in rapid Creole French.

Jean-Luc held Ororo away from her, appraising her. “You look good Ororo. Real good. We ‘ave missed you.”

Ororo laughed and hugged him once more. “You look good too papa. And I have missed you, so very much.”

“And who are dese men wit you Ororo.” Jean-Luc indicated the trio now standing silently behind them waiting patiently.

Ororo blushed slightly and stammered. “Papa, please, I forget my manners.” She began talking in English once more as she waved Logan and Scott forward. “You remember Scott, Jean’s fiancé.”

Jean-Luc looked at Ororo in surprise. “Fiancé? When did dis change?”

She gave him a look of chagrin as she answered. “New Year’s Eve. I meant to send word but we have been very busy at the mansion.”

He nodded and clapped his hands together. “We must celebrate dis in true Cajun fashion.”

She gave him a stern look even as she admonished him with her tone. “Papa.”

He patted her arm gently, chuckling. “I promise mon espiegle, it will be a small party.” His face grew serious as he once again looked at the men approaching them. “Now who is da man standing next to Scott. I ‘ave never met ‘im.”

Ororo let out a deep breath. “Papa that is Logan.”

He looked at her in surprise, changing back to French as he questioned her. “Logan? Da same Logan, Remy spoke of?”

She nodded. “Yes Papa.”

Jean-Luc appeared thoughtful for a moment as he looked at the man his son had spoken of. “Mmmmm. ‘e does not look like da devil incarnate.” A devilish twinkle appeared in his eyes as he continued. “‘e seems a bit short for it non?”

Ororo chuckled even as she slapped him lightly. “Papa, be nice.”

“I am always nice.” His tone was serious but the twinkle in his eyes ruined it and he chuckled as well.

Ororo turned and indicated Scott as she spoke. “Scott, you remember Papa Jean.”

Scott stepped forward and shook the older man’s hand warmly. “Of course I do. How are you doing sir?”

Jean-Luc shrugged slightly as he released Scott’s hand. “Not as good as you I wager. I ‘ear dat you and dat red ’ead of yours are finally fixin’ ta tie da knot.”

Scott smiled and nodded. “Yes sir we are, before the end of the summer actually. Jean would love it if you came.”

Jean-Luc bowed his head slightly in acceptance. “Den I will be dere.”

Ororo then reached out for Logan, who mounted the stairs and stood at her side, facing her father. She was nervous and excited but held it in check as she introduced the two of them. “Papa, this is my amant, Logan. Logan, this is Jean-Luc Lebeau, my father.”

Jean-Luc took Logan’s hand firmly in his own and met his gaze without wavering. “Pleasure to finally meet you Logan. Remy and Ororo both ‘ave told me so much about you.”

Logan nodded, dropping his hand and placing one around Ororo his meaning clear. Inside, he felt the beast move rouse slightly at the tension of the encounter but it subsided quickly. “Same here. Nice to see just where Ororo came by her devilish streak.” The words had the desired effect and everyone around them chuckled.

Jean-Luc shook his head, his expression rueful as he looked adoringly at his adopted daughter. “She did not get dat from dis family. She ‘ad dat in spades long before she ever come ‘ere.” There was another round of laughter at that and Jean-Luc waved them inside. “Come inside, all of ya. Dere be ice tea somewhere in dis ‘ouse. Only ting to cool off a body on such a ‘ot day.”


They were quickly and warmly welcomed by the entire Lebeau clan and any expected awkwardness quickly faded in the face of such open hospitality. At the moment, Scott and Logan were helping the other male members of the family prepare for the coming feast that evening. While the children and some of the younger members of the large family played in the nearby pond.

Ororo stood at the kitchen window sipping her sweet tea, smiling at the antics of some of her younger cousins, a wistful expression on her face. She realized that she had missed this; a great deal more than she ever realized.

Life at the mansion was not something she could or would ever give up. But she realized that being here, with her family with the sights and sounds of children playing intermingled with the smells of the bayou were just as important to her as the life she led in New York. Just being there revitalized her in a way she had not realized she was lacking. And she made a promise to herself to return for an extended visit at the first opportunity.

She heard Jean-Luc come up from behind her and gave him a slight smile as he stepped up to share the window. They stood that way for several minutes, each lost in their own thoughts as they sipped their tea and watched the family play.

After a moment, Ororo decided to break the silence. “So you have not told me what you think of Logan, Papa.”

Jean-Luc snorted softly gazing at the man in question. “I tink dat man is ‘alf gone for you Ororo.”

She chuckled. “I certainly hope so. Considering I love him very much.” She felt the weight of her father’s gaze upon her and turned to face him.

His face was thoughtful as he looked at her. “You seem very ‘appy.”

She smiled. “I am.”

“And dis man ‘as made you so?”

This time her eyes softened slightly. “Yes, he has.”

“Den why you care what I tink?”

“Because you are my father. And what you think about the choices I make in my life matters a great deal to me.”

He set his glass down and turned to face her. “Ororo, I raised all of my children to tink for demselves. Dat my opinion should not be dat important if your choice made you ‘appy.”

“Then you approve.”

He shrugged slightly. “I must admit, when Remy first told me of Logan, I wondered if per’aps I was not wrong in dat way of t’inkin’. I t’ought per’aps I may ‘ave missed passing along somt’ing important to you.”

“And now?”

This time he reached out touch her face softly, his face and eyes telling her just what his opinion was. “Now, I tink dat you are ‘appier den I ‘ave ever seen you. And I ‘ave always prayed for da day to see you so ‘appy. I love your broder, but da man is a dolt. If’n dis man Logan makes you ‘appy, dere is nothing more I can say against ‘im.”

Ororo sighed slightly thinking on just what Remy might have told their father. Despite her impassioned words to her brother, there was still a part of her that was a little girl, seeking his approval. And she was a bit unsure on what her father might think of the man she loved if he knew the truth about his past. “Papa, there are things you should know about him before you say that. Things I am quite sure Remy has told you but I wish for you to understand.”

Jean-Luc nodded in understanding. “Ah, you mean da stuff ‘e did in ‘is past, for da government.”

Her voice was hesitant. “Yes.”

For several long moments, Lean-Luc was silent, looking out the window. When he turned again to face her, his face was unreadable. “Ororo, I will tell you what I told Remy when ‘e came to me. I ‘ave been to war. I ‘ave seen the evil it can make men do. The t’ings dat your Logan did, da t’ings dat ‘e did with da government’s blessing? Dose were t’ings dat needed doing for one reason or another to preserve da greater good.

“Sometimes you must delve into da dark to protect da light. And as for dose t’ings where dere might be question, I say dis: I do not judge a man by ‘is deeds but by ‘is character. If’n you t’ink highly of dis man, den dat is ‘nough for me. I ‘ave always trusted yer judgement. You ‘ave my blessin’.”

Ororo felt the air leave her in a rush, unaware that she had even been holding her breath. She hugged him, a slight sting of tears touching her eyes as outside, the sky began clouding over. “Thank you Papa.” She whispered to him pleased that he had understood her fears so well.

He chuckled warmly. “You are welcome mon espiegle.” He pulled back and wiped the tears from her face even as he nodded to the sky outside. “Now go outside and calm da man down will ya. I tink yer waterworks are makin’ ‘im a bit nervous.”

She laughed slightly and did as he asked.


The party was well under way and the house was near to bursting with the “small” gathering that Jean-Luc had promised. But Ororo could not be happier about it. It was like a reunion and she relished each and every family member that had decided to come to it. They had been invited to celebrate Jean and Scott’s upcoming wedding, but everyone knew that they also came to see Ororo.

She was standing on the back porch watching Logan playing a game of horseshoes. Logan had proved to be quite adept at the game and the others, in order to give them a chance at winning had declared that Logan had to throw with his left hand. So far as she had witnessed it was making little or no difference and Scott was getting frustrated.

“I say we blindfold him.”

She laughed at that, as did the others and she turned to leave the men to their game. She nearly turned right into Remy who so far had been strangely absent. She stopped and for several moments, they stood there in silence, their previous argument hanging heavy between them.

Remy spoke up first. “It is good to see you Stormy.”

Ororo crossed her arms over her chest and let the anger and hurt simply flow out of her as she looked at him. “I have missed you Remy.”

He nodded. “You be looking good.”

“Yes, I am. No thanks to you.” Despite her best efforts, she could not keep all of the anger out of her tone.

“Ororo…” he began softly but she held up her hands.

“No, do not apologize now. You are not ready to say it and I sure as hell am not ready to hear it.”

Remy shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants his posture turning petulant. “Den why are you here?”

She shrugged not even really sure why she felt the need to explain anything to him. “Because I wanted to see Papa and the twins and home. I figured you would be here so I decided that seeing them was worth putting up with your asinine attitude.”

“Dat be da only reason?”

“No, Jean insists that you and Rogue come home for the wedding. She wants you both to be part of it; you are family, after all.” She stressed the word family daring him to dispute it as he had before.

“She asked you dis?” His voice was soft, uncertain.

For a moment, looking at him she could not see the angered young man who had made her choose all those months before. Instead, all she could see was a young man unsure of himself and his decisions. Someone who looked ready to extend his hand. “Yes, she did. Will you come?” Her voice was hopeful and she waited tensely to hear his next words. All the while praying that he would not do anything foolish.

After several moments, he nodded. “Yes, Remy be dere.”

“Good, I’ll let her know.” Silence fell between them again but this time it was a great deal less strained. Ororo regarded him as he watched the horseshoe game. She could clearly see the angry, tense set to his jaw as he watched Logan throw another ringer and one of the twins clapped him on the back warmly. It was obvious that the time away from the mansion had done little to change Remy’s feelings towards the shorter mutant.

She pondered her options. If Remy came back, there remained a very real possibility of violence between the two of them. And while Ororo knew that it was only a matter of time, she would never forgive Remy if he did something stupid to upset Jean on her big day.

“Remy, I must ask a promise of you before you come.”

Remy turned his attention back to her. “Remy would do anyt’ing for you. You need only ask.”

She stepped closer, dropping her voice as she made her request. “I want you to make peace with Logan.”

He went still next to her, his eyes searching her face intently. There was no mistaking the surprise and anger in his eyes. “Ororo, you ask too much.” He turned to leave but she reached out to stop him.

She pressed on trying to get him to listen to reason. “Listen to me. I do not ask for my sake but for his as well as yours. If you keep acting the fool with him, he will hurt you. Not because he wants to but because you give him no other choice.”

Remy angrily shook her off. “Remy can take of himself.”

“Maybe, but I would rather not find out the hard way. I know better than you what he is capable of if he thinks I am in danger.” She paused, looking at Logan as he stood to one side of the horseshoe pit waiting for the shoes to be tossed their way.

He must have felt her eyes upon him, because he looked up, meeting her eyes across the lawn and the breadth of the porch. The heat she saw there was enough to bring a flush of heat to her face. She smiled as she turned back to her brother.

“I never told you this, but the night he told me he loved me, he nearly gutted a complete stranger for touching me. A stranger Remy and for nothing more than being too drunk to take no for an answer. And you, well let us just say you are very lucky that he has kept a tight lid on his temper.”

Remy snorted, seemingly unconvinced. “Remy is not afraid of him.”

“No? Maybe you should be. You are my brother, someone I love very much and you hurt me deeply when you forced me to choose. If Logan was willing to harm a complete stranger for nothing more than being stupid, what do you think he would be willing to do to you for really hurting me? Or do you really think that your connection to me is enough to stop him if you really seek to do him or me harm?”

“Remy cannot help da way he feels.”

“And neither can I.” She ran her hands through her hair trying to calm down, feeling the pressure drop as her control began slipping. The conversation was making her angry and she did not want Logan knowing that her brother was upsetting her again. She had no wish to explain to father if Logan decided to attack him.

“I am not asking you to be his friend; I am simply asking you to trust me enough to know what I want and what is best for me. I am simply asking for you to be a part of my life without expecting these ridiculous concessions. For better or worse, he is a part of my life. If you ever wish to be a part of that life, you will have to find a way to accept that. Because I am not about to change everything to suite you.”

Remy sighed loudly thinking for several moments as he again watched his family interacting with the man his sister had chosen. He turned his gaze back to Ororo and gave her a nod. “Remy will try. For you he will try and dat is all he can promise.”

Pleased beyond thought at his words, she reached out and embraced him warmly, kissing his cheek. “Then that is all I can ask for.”


A great deal of time later, long after the sun had set and many of the guests had gone home, Remy, Rogue, Scott, the twins and Ororo sat around the a cheery bonfire talking and laughing. Logan stood back a ways, in the shadows of the porch simply watching Ororo interact with people she cared about.

It had been a good day and he’d enjoyed himself a great deal. Despite Remy’s example, he found himself not only accepted by Ororo’s family but he liked them as well. The horseshoe game had started a friendly competition between him and the twins which had nearly escalated out of control. Until they’d been discovered by Ororo, barefoot and knee deep in the pond, daring each other to some monstrously stupid, not to mention dangerous stunt.

He’d looked at her angry face after her long and fierce tirade and done the only thing he could think of. He’d simply scooped her up before she could escape and dumped her into the pond. She’d come up sputtering laughing despite herself, her eyes blazing white and the war was on. He found himself chuckling quietly at the memory of it.

He heard a set of bare feet tread onto the porch and sniffed lightly, recognizing both smell and stride as belonging to Ororo’s father. He turned to the man and nodded before he turned his attention back to the bonfire and the white-haired siren that even then pulled at him.

“Remy tells me dat you are sweet on our girl.”

Logan snorted at the softly spoken words. It would be just like the swamp rat to simplify just what he felt for her. “I guess ya could call it that. I tend ta think I love her.”
He felt Jean-Luc’s eyes on him and resisted the urge to look at the man.

“From da look of it, I’d say da feelings are mutual.”

Logan reached into his shirt pocket and pulled out a couple of cigars. He handed Jean-Luc one even as he pulled out a book of matches. “So I’ve heard.”

They lit their cigars, smoking in silence for several moments before Jean-Luc spoke up again. “I must admit, Logan. I did not know what to tink when Remy told me of you. From ‘is description I expected no’ting less den a demon cast straight from ‘ell.”

Logan laughed slightly taking a deep puff. “Yeah well, the swamp rat tends to be a little over dramatic.”

This time Jean-Luc laughed and nodded. “Dat ‘e does. Dat ‘e does.” Jean-Luc sighed loudly, contemplating the end of his cigar. “I am finding myself in a difficult position Logan.”

Logan looked at him, his cigar halfway to his lips. “And just what might that be?”

Jean-Luc looked at him, pointing at him with the cigar. “I like you and I approve of Ororo’s choice in you. Dat shall put me at odds wit my son.”

Logan scoffed slightly, clamping his cigar between his teeth. He resisted the surge of anger that urged him to bite through the damn thing. “Remy made his choice. Don’t let him make yours.”

Logan heard the man shrug slightly. “I know. Marie told me what ‘appened between dem.”

Logan growled slightly at the memory of Ororo crying out her pain in his arms. And the memory of how the sky wept with her. “Damned fool. I nearly kicked his ass for makin’ her cry like that.” He took a final puff and ground the butt into the ground with the heel of his well worn boots. “I still might.”

“I would not advise it mon ami. Despite da bad feelings between dem now, I do not t’ink Ororo would look too kindly on you for it. No matter ‘ow much ‘e might deserve it.”

Logan smiled at the mention of her temper, the memory of their earlier wrestling match in the pond coming to mind. “She can get pretty riled up now and then, that’s fer sure.”

Jean-Luc chuckled ruefully. “Always did ‘ave a temper on ‘er. It just burns underneath da surface, where you can’t see it. By da time she lets loose wit it, it’s too late; yer toast.” Jean-Luc stared at the bonfire, his eyes resting on the daughter of his heart even as his tone grew serious. “I’ve been worried ‘bout her fer a long time now. Always too quiet, kept ta herself too much. Kept too much locked in here.” He reached up and touched his heart. “Never let no one in, ‘ceptin’ Remy course. But I see change in her. She is relaxed, open. I tink you have been very good fer her.”

Logan nodded, having seen the same changes in her in the past several months. “No one deserves ta be alone. Most especially not her.”

“True ‘nough.” There was silence between them for several more moments as each of them pondered their own thoughts. Seeming to break out of his revere, Jean-Luc turned to Logan. “I must ask you Logan, what would ya ‘ave said if’n I said ta walk away, dat you are not good ‘nough for her?”

Logan snorted loudly, crossing his arms over his chest, planting his feet firmly on the porch. “I’d told ya to take a flyin’ leap off the end of the dock. Most likely with my foot buried up yer ass.” He paused. “No offense.”

Jean-Luc held up his hands and shook his head. “I asked fer ‘onesty. It’s my own fault if I get offended. As fer what ya said, I’m glad to ’ear it.”

Logan didn’t bother to hide his surprise. “Really? Most men I know wouldn’t like hearin’ me threaten to kick their asses.”

“Most men are a little too insecure in demselves.”

Logan shrugged. “Maybe. Still don’t explain why you wanted to know.”

This time Jean-Luc stared at his son for several moments before answering. “Remy told me dat ‘e tried to get you out of her life. ‘e said dat ya told ‘im no. I just wanted ta see if’n it would make any difference comin’ from me.”

Logan relaxed a bit, uncrossing his arms as leaned against the railing of the porch. “It don’t make a damned bit of difference. The only person who can ever tell me to walk away and get me to do it, is her. I ain’t steppin’ out of her life on anyone else’s say so.” He felt Jean-Luc place his hand on his shoulder and turned to look at the taller man.

“Den I only ‘ave one t’ing to say ta ya Logan.”

“What’s that?”

Jean-Luc squeezed his shoulder firmly and gave him a strange smile. “Welcome ta da family son.”





You must login () to review.