Trask walked through his factory, his intelligent eyes betraying not a hint of emotion, but instead they reflected cool calculation. A line of guards flanked him on either side, men he had hired from other companies and some retired soldiers he had served with. These were the men he trusted to guard his factory. He had other soldiers, soldiers that even he considered to be loose cannons. Members of the FOH group that were merciless, borderline fanatical and entirely expendable. It was their expendability that made them worth having around.

Stopping before one of his four behemoth creations Trask allowed himself a small smile. His guardians of humanity. His Sentinels. Exquisite piece of machinery. Equipped with lasers, tethers, probes, darts, tazers and a nearly cognitive intelligence, making them adaptable, and unstoppable fighters. They were to be his enforcers; defenders of right and bringers of justice to those that had no respect for it. For the cause he championed Trask knew he must soon test his creations against those that could be their greatest resistance.

Charles Xavier’s mutant vigilantes were undoubtedly well trained, organized and potentially lethal to Trask’s own dream. He had no desire to see the students at the Xavier institute suffer due to the actions of their faculty and certain other students, however, he couldn’t handle them with kid gloves either.

He had hoped leaving the video of Wolverine slaughtering the workers at Alkali would be enough to cause a rift in the X-Men’s ranks, causing enough dissention to shake them apart, but to his consternation, and admitted surprise, the fold seemed tighter than ever. According to his source, the school’s new head had taken on quite a fondness for the Wolverine.

Ororo Munroe was as determined as she was beautiful and that determination made her dangerous. After the deaths of Scott Summers, Jean Grey ad Charles Xavier, many in the government--himself included--had assumed the school would close down. To the contrary the woman called Storm had stepped up to take the reins. She was the backbone of that school and of the X-Men. If he was to take them apart, he needed her to crumble.

He flipped open his cell phone and dialed. “Judge Petrie, do you have the papers ready to be served? Good. And it’s all neat, McCoy can’t finagle his way around this? Good man.” He pressed END then immediately dialed another number. “I have something for you. I’ve arranged the drop at the usual location. I don’t care how hard it is to get away--meet my agent in one hour. You know where.” He hung up, satisfied that soon he would make the dent he needed to topple the X-Men.

~X~







“Earth calling Ororo? Hello Ororo?”

Fingers drumming idly on her mahogany desk top stilled. “I’m sorry, did you say something, Kitty?”

Blowing a lock of wavy brown hair from her face Kitty flopped into one of two identical wingback chairs facing the Headmistress’ desk, her short black tee riding up on her stomach as she did. “What are you daydreaming about? Or should I say who?”

Ororo leaned back in her seat, mildly startled to feel heat creep into her cheeks. She had indeed been daydreaming about a certain rough-around-the-edges Canadian X-Man. Was she that obvious? She recalled that not too long ago she had commented to Jean about the glow on the other woman’s face after Logan had returned home from his initial trip up to Alkali. He caused that “dazed adoration” effect on a woman, that was for sure.

The past few months between them had been beyond happy. Logan seemed more at ease than she could ever remember him being, laughing and joking with her in the kitchen at lunch, tinkering in the garage to prepare for his classes and even helping in the Danger Room.

They never spoke of the horrible video tape Trask had left, and Ororo wasn’t sure if that was good or bad. She didn’t want Logan to keep himself so tightly bottled, but she also did not want to pry. She figured that when and if he was ever ready to talk, she would be there for him.

“Finished the files?” Ororo asked in lieu of commenting to Kitty’s teasing.

“Yeah, I put the last of them away a few minutes ago.” Kitty gave an exaggerated hand to brow gesture.

Ororo smiled affectionately. “You really have been a terrific help with everything.”

Kitty beamed. She gave her knuckles a quick puff of air before rubbing them on her chest. “Yeah, this place would fall down without me.”

“Undoubtedly.” Ororo shuffled the small stack of paper in front of her. As she did she caught the time on her small gold watch. “Shoot.”

“What‘s wrong?”

“I need to run some errands in town and I have class in thirty minutes.” Ororo picked up her phone. Maybe she could get Sean Cassidy to cover her class. Ever since his arrival a few weeks ago the Irish teacher had proven his worth as an instructor and in the Danger Room. He was charming and handsome and had several of the female students fawning after him, but aside from his good looks and accented charm, he was intelligent and dependable.

He picked up his cell on the second ring. “This is Sean.”

“Hi, Sean, it’s Ororo.”

“I’d know that lovely voice anywhere. Washes over a man like spring rain.”

“You are a shameless flirt.” she chided with humor.

“My beloved Moira says the same thing.” Moira MacTaggert, long time friend of Charles had recently accepted Sean’s marriage proposal. After the semester was up he was heading back to Muir Island, which Ororo had known before he had arrived, but it gave her the teacher she needed for the year and ample time to maneuver faculty.

“What can I do for you?” Sean asked.

“I need to run a few errands, but I have World History in a half an hour. Could you cover for me?”

“Sure, lass.”

“Thanks. I owe you one.” She hung up the phone.

Kitty hopped up out of her seat. “Want some company?”

“Sure. Oh, and why don’t you grab Jimmy too. It’s been awhile since he’s been out of the Mansion.”

Kitty agreed with a nod. “Good idea. He’s been kind of a mope lately.”

Ororo paused in slipping into her black button down blazer. Small waves of guilt washed into her conscious. Had she put her own personal situation so far in the forefront of her life that she had missed something with Jimmy? “Has he said anything?”

“Not really. It’s just an impression I get.”

“Then definitely bring him.”





Outside in the front yard of the institute there were students enjoying the crisp fall afternoon, some reading, others playing. Several hands shot up to wave at the departing headmistress and companions. Ororo returned their waves and flashed one of her brilliant smiles. Seeing her students so relaxed and happy did wonders for her mood in general and made her near euphoric given her current state of happy bliss.

“Are you sure you want me to come with you?” Jimmy asked quietly when they reached the outside garage which housed the Institute vehicles as opposed to the personal ones. Kitty had nearly dragged him from his self-seclusion in his room to the foyer where he had greeted Storm with a soft hello and nervous eyes.

Ororo’s hand stilled above the door handle. “Why on earth wouldn’t I want you with me?”

The young boy shifted uncomfortably under her direct gaze. “Well, with me around you can’t be with Mr. Logan…because, y’know…” He watched his feet shuffle on the concrete.

“Jimmy.” She waited for his head to lift. When it didn’t, she repeated his name in a tone that would not be denied, earning a reluctant look. “You are very important to me. Don’t ever forget that. Logan is…special… yes, but so are you, and I am never, ever giving you up. Not for anyone. Got that?”

A shy smile found it’s way onto his face, so full of innocent joy that Kitty had to turn away and wipe her eyes.

“Got it.” Jimmy nodded.

“Good. Now get your butt in the truck before we’re really late.”

“Late for what?” Bobby Drake poked his head out from under the small Hyundai he was working on.

“We’re going to town.” Kitty informed him. “What are you doing under there?” She indicated the car, holding the back door open for Jimmy.

Bobby rolled out to stand and wiped his hands on the small rag tucked in his belt. “Getting a jump on Mechanics. With Logan teaching I want to be on my toes. ” A head jerk towards the back of the garage where Logan, unseen until that moment, stood, emphasizing his point.

Ororo hid her smile. Logan had quite the reputation as a hard-ass with the students, but she knew he cared for all of them--far more than he even let himself believe. She gestured towards the open doors. “If Logan has no objections, you are more than welcome to come along.”

“Yeah?” He grinned tossing his hand cloth aside. Getting out of the Mansion wasn’t something forbidden, but most of the students stuck close to the institute after the events of the past year. Unspoken fear still lingered beneath the calm surface surrounding them and Ororo took every opportunity she got to help them overcome that and instill security in her charges.

“Objections to what, darlin’?” Logan asked, sauntering towards them. He remained several feet away, leaving space between Jimmy and himself, but he nodded at the boy. Jimmy smiled tentatively in return.

Ororo moved around the SUV, smiling up at him. “Bobby coming with us to town.” She reached up and thumbed away a smudge of grease from his chin.

Logan’s eyes flicked towards the eager looking Bobby. “I suppose the pup could use some air.”

“I call shotgun!” Bobby shouted.

“Oh no you don’t!” Kitty said, wrestling Bobby away from the door. “I was here first.”

“Did you call it?”

“What?”

“Did you call shotgun?”

“No, she didn’t,” Jimmy provided with a cheeky grin.

Kitty shot him a mock severe look. “You little traitor.”

“It’s settled then.” Bobby said with smug satisfaction. “I get shotgun.”

“That’s crap.” Kitty poked her tongue out. “Besides, I’m a lady.”

Bobby slanted her a crooked smirk. “Since when?” This made Jimmy burst into laughter.

“Okay, that’s enough. Jimmy, get in the front seat. Kitty and Bobby can bicker in the rear.” Ororo made shooing motions.

“They give ya too much trouble, you send them to see me when you get home,” Logan said, giving them all a warning look.

Bobby and Kitty both hopped to attention, giving Logan mock salutes before clamoring into the vehicle. It took another two minutes to get everyone settled in their respective seats.

“When d’ya think you’ll be back?” Logan asked, his hand coming to rest on the curve of Ororo‘s hip.

“Probably around dinner. Why?”

“Just curious.” He shrugged easily. He opened the driver’s side door for her. “Catch ya later.” His mouth brushed hers in a lingering kiss before closing it.

Smiling from ear to ear Ororo pulled the SUV out into the afternoon sunshine.

***


Hank glanced up from his paper work as Logan passed his semi-open door for the third time. Closing the file he was currently evaluating Hank folded his hands atop the manila paper and called out. “Is there something on your mind, Logan?”

A dark head poked itself around the corner, gray eyes casting a furtive look around the office. “You busy?”

“Not particularly.”

“Good.” Logan closed the door behind him. He stood a few feet inside the entry way, his posture tense.

Hank slowly reached up and removed his spectacles laying them carefully on his desktop. “Is something troubling you?”

“What do you know about giving a woman flowers and shit?” Logan finally blurt out, looking exceedingly uncomfortable.

Hank coughed into his hand, barely concealing his laugh. After a moment he cleared his throat but his smirk remained. “Logan, are you perhaps trying to romance a certain someone?”

Logan rubbed the back of his neck with one hand. Jesus fucking Christ this was absurd. He was a grown man, he shouldn’t feel so goddamn inadequate, but the truth was he wanted to do something special for ’Ro. It was nearly laughable at how little he knew about romance. The simple fact was, he never really needed it before. Women were never a priority for him. He’d had more than his share of them in his life, but none that had ever really mattered. Not like Ororo did.

Glancing at the obviously amused blue mutant in front of him set his teeth on edge. He wasn’t the sonnets and candy type, but he had hoped Hank could give him some general ideas. Now, seeing the mirth dancing in Hank’s blue eyes, he felt utterly ridiculous.

With a rough growl he turned to leave. “Forget it,” he grumbled.

Hank stood. “No, wait.”

“This was stupid.” He jerked the door open and strode into the hall.

Hank moved around his desk. “Monty Python!” He called after the feral.

Logan stopped, turned, came back in. “What?”

Hank elaborated. “Ororo loves Monty Python.”

That one was unexpected. “No shit.” He took that into consideration. “What else?”

“She has a soft spot for rabbits.”

Logan quirked a brow. “As in bunny rabbits?”

A bushy blue brow rose, as if to question any other type that Logan may be referring to. “Yes, as in bunny rabbits.”

Logan seemed to log that tidbit away. He moved into the office further and leaned against the wall. “Keep talkin’.”

Less than an hour later Logan was issuing commands to a small fleet of recruited students. “Yo, Tin-man, set the TV up over here.” One hand slapped a bare wall.

Peter rolled his eyes at Logan’s favorite nickname but followed his instruction. “Here?”

A curt nod was given in approval.

The far east section of the Mansion was rarely used, as Hank had informed him, and several of the rooms were completely vacant. Logan intended to take full advantage of that little fact. Using the information Henry had provided about Ororo’s likes Logan had created a secluded ‘haven’ for them to enjoy, even if only for one night.

The room he was currently in had dark wood floors and cream colored walls. The room, upon first entering had smelled stale and dusty. Grabbing a handful of students as he roamed the Mansion, Logan set them about the task of scrubbing and dusting. He was pleased with their progress.

“Flowers just arrived.” Sam Guthrie entered the room, carrying a large bouquet of exotic flowers. He looked around the room and whistled. “Ms. Munroe is sure going to be surprised.”

Unlit candles lined the walls in sconces, put in place by Logan himself. The large flat screen television that Peter had just brought up hung on the wall facing a small, but cozy loveseat that Logan had borrowed from the library.

A miniature round table was set off to the side, champagne chilling in ice sat beside a tray of strawberries. Logan had questioned the need for fruit, but Hank assured him that Julia Roberts was never wrong. Logan had no idea what in the hell that meant, but he left it alone.

“Where should I put the flowers, sir?”

“I’ll take ‘em.” Logan took the flowers from the corn silk haired teen.

“Special occasion?” Sam questioned.

Logan didn’t reply. It was common knowledge around the school now that he and Ororo were an item, but at times he really wished that they weren’t under the constant surveillance of a hundred different people. Tonight he hoped to capture some privacy for the two of them and he’d gut anyone that interfered.

A few more minor preparations and the room finally was finished. With a baring of teeth Logan ordered everyone out and warned them all that if he so much as sniffed them within fifty feet of the room he‘d take it personal. He closed and locked the door behind him. It was time to lay the trail.

“Logan!”

He turned towards the call of his voice. “Hey, kiddo.”

Marie walked towards him quickly. “Have you seen Bobby? I thought he was with you.”

“He was.” Logan reached the elevator. “He left awhile ago.”

Hazel eyes flashed with irritation. “Left for where?”

“Went to town with ‘Ro to run errands.”

Marie frowned. “He never told me he was going.”

Logan placed his hand on the elevator door, keeping it from shutting as he crossed the threshold. “It was kind of a last minute thing.”

“When will he be back?”

Logan shrugged, his mind on things aside from keeping tabs on the runts. “No idea, kiddo. I ain’t his babysitter.”

“Was it just him and Storm?”

Logan knew where that question was going. He thought it best to remain neutral. “A couple of other kids went too.”

“What other kids? Was Kitty with them?” Marie’s voice rose an octave.

“So was Jimmy.” He was not in the mood for any teenage drama. “If there isn’t anything else, I have some stuff to do.”

She looked hurt. “Fine.” She turned abruptly away from him. “Like you care anyway,” she mumbled.

“What was that?” Logan asked with a hint of impatience.

Marie whirled, a shimmer in her eyes. “I said ‘like you care’! it’s not like you do anymore, right? Ever since you and Storm have become a..a.. thing all you care about is her! So much for always being there for me, for always taking care of me, huh?”

Logan felt his temper flare up. “You know damn well it ain’t like that--”

She threw up her hands. “It is like that, but you refuse to see it!”

Logan rumbled in frustration. “Damn it, Marie--”

She wiped her eyes, interrupting. “So sorry I bothered you. Get back to your important life.” With a toss of her long hair she rushed out of the corridor.

The doors of the elevator slid shut. Logan let out a nasal sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Damn it.”

Raven Darkholme watched the interaction between Logan and young Marie from her position in the shadows. She turned back towards the staircase, whistling, her light blue eyes narrowed into slits. There was something about that man that got under her skin, something that made her ache. It was not a completely unpleasant sensation, as most of the men in her life had little to no effect on her. The only other man to make her feel that spiraling sensation in her stomach had betrayed her in the end. Left her lying naked on the floor, disowning her love, devotion and sacrifice with a flick of his cape.

She took a right on the second floor landing, heading for the student dorms. She stopped outside the closed door, listening to the soft sobs coming from inside. She knocked.

The door swung inward and a bleary eyed Marie glared at her, obviously expecting someone else.

“He’s not coming,” Raven stated.

Marie glowered. “Go away!”

Raven smiled, one hand slapping the door as it swung towards her face. “Don’t be so hasty.” She strolled into the room uninvited. “I think you and I can help one another.”

Marie gaped at her. “Are you crazy? I hate you. Get out of my room.”

Raven ran her fingers over the magazines covering Marie‘s corner desk. “Yes, yes, you hate me.” One sculpted ebony brow arched. “But do you hate me more than you hate the idea of Wolverine with Storm?”

Marie sniffed. “I don’t hate--”

“Oh, please.” Raven rolled her eyes. “You’re more transparent than Sue Storm.” The tall beauty approached, and placed one hand on Marie’s shoulder on a confidential manner. “You want your hero back. I can help you.”

A shrug of Marie’s stiff shoulder shook the hand off. “Why would you help me?”

Raven‘s smile was sickeningly sweet. “Because by helping you, I help myself. I’m not an altruist, honey. I want something out of this too, but you know what they say about two birds and one stone.”

“I’m not going to help you hurt Logan.”

Raven smiled in amusement. “Why on earth would I want to hurt him? I have other intentions.”

Marie made a face. “I know exactly what you want and it’s disgusting.”

There was genuine malice in Raven’s voice when she spoke. “No one knows exactly what I want.”

“I don’t trust you.”

“You would be foolish to.” Raven crossed her arms over her chest. “If you want your champion of champions back in your corner, I can help you. If you don’t, then fine, I walk out of here right now and this conversation never happened.”


Marie’s teeth worked her bottom lip worriedly. “And Logan won’t get hurt?”

Raven’s smile disappeared to be replaced by a cool look. “Physically, no.”

Marie hesitated.

Raven shrugged, moving towards the door.

“Wait…”

She paused, head titled.

“What did you have in mind?”

She smiled.





You must login () to review.