What he had thought would only take days, had taken weeks, and had become an international incident. Ororo was playing a great game of cat and mouse first heading to the west coast and then straight back to the east coast. Then she flew to Europe and Asia, and she had the advantage since her mutation allowed her to travel at incredible speeds. But she could never relax for the long; the most she had been able to hide out from him had been six weeks. Now that the swell of her belly was clearly evident and there was a constant pressure on her bladder, Ororo knew it was time to nest and prepare for the birth of her baby. So she headed for the swamps of Louisiana. Remy’s contacts had been more than helpful, finding her a nice clean place right in the heart of the swamps. They fully furnished it, even made up a little nursery, which brought a smile to Ororo’s face and made her think that if Remy had figured out her condition, had Logan?

~~~~

He felt the eyes boring into the back of his head, from the second he had roared into the diner’s parking lot all eyes had been on him. But when he dismounted his motorcycle and removed his helmet to reveal wild hair and thick scruffy sideburns, those same eyes quickly adverted their gaze. He placed the helmet in the seat of the bike as he scoped his surroundings. He then lifted his head and sniffed the air a bit. Her scent was definitely there and very strong, and when it floated by drifting towards the road heading out of town it brought a smile to Logan’s lips.

~~~~

She stood frozen as she stared from the far corner of Main Street, just opposite to where the man stood with his back to her. A strong, broad, muscular back she used to trail her fingers over at night when he was asleep and she was wide-awake. She watched him transfixed too afraid to move for fear he would spot her. When she saw him lifting his head she cursed silently for she knew he was seeking out her scent. So she summoned a small breeze in the hopes to mislead him. When the scent floated by he inhaled deeply and then smiled. He turned towards the direction Ororo had been standing, directly to the spot she had occupied mere seconds before darting back behind the corner.

“Gotcha,” Logan mumbled as he moved toward the diner.

~~~~

In a panic Ororo trekked through her marshy estate, falling a bit along the way so that by the time she had stepped upon her porch she was muddy all over. She was met at the door by a robust older black woman known as Momma Mabel, who lived nearby and had taken it upon herself to look after Ororo.

“Lawd, Lawd jus look at chou childe. Get in here and lets get you cleaned up.” Mabel spoke as she stood aside to let Ororo by.

“No time Momma, I have to go…Now.” Ororo said in a winded voice as she pushed past Mabel and began gathering different things about the room.

“What’s wrong childe?”

“He’s here.” Ororo huffed out as she continued to waddle about the room grabbing items. Mabel was well aware who ‘he’ was because she had asked Ororo why she was hiding out in the middle of a dangerous swamp, and all Ororo had indulged was that she was hiding from her husband. Mabel needed no further explanations having already lived through two abusive marriages herself.

“Yo husband? Momma Mabel asked and Ororo only nodded. “Why you running from dis man cher, he beat chou? ‘Cause if’n he did Momma will put a root on him that will…”

“No!” Ororo said as she finally stopped and stared at the older woman. “Logan would never hurt me, he’s a good man.”

“Fine, fine,” Mabel said as she threw up her hands. “If’n he’s so great why you running from him den?” Mabel posed more as a statement than a question.

“Momma, I need you to go into town and purchase me a bus ticket please.”

“Sure childe, but the way dem skies is looking Momma don’t think you be going anywheres tonight.” Mabel said from the doorway and Ororo looked out the window and saw the winds picking up as the sky swiftly darkened. She knew she was the cause of it, she had discovered lately that she had very little control over her powers, which she deducted was due to her hormones and stress, even though she didn’t have much issue during her first pregnancy.

“You should go now Momma before the storm worsens and just leave the ticket there for me to pick up. Don’t come back down the river the waters may get too bad.”

“And what about chou, I aint gon leave you here all alone.”

“I’ll be fine. I just need to pack a few essentials and then I’ll be right behind you. But I really need you to get that ticket for me. Please Momma.”

“Alright childe, but you be careful now you hear?” And with that Mabel left out as Ororo moved to her bedroom to gather some of the baby’s things. She paused and gazed sadly around the room, a room she had decorated much like her room back at the mansion.

“Sorry little one but we’ve got to move again, and this was such a lovely room.” She sighed as she rubbed her firm, round belly. Suddenly a pain hit her so hard she nearly collapsed to the floor. “Oh Goddess, please not again.” She gasped out trying to catch her breath and waiting for the pain to subside, which took several minutes. When the pain finally eased a bit she made her way back into the living room and then to the door. She looked out to find a raging storm with heavy rain and winds so strong it bent the trees complete sideways. “Momma!” She screamed even though her cries got swallowed up by the howling winds and she knew the older woman was probably already out of the swamps. Most likely taking refuge with a neighbor up the river. Ororo cursed as she slowly made her way back to her bedroom, using the walls as support. Another powerful pain struck her and this time she did crumble to the floor just before she reached her bed.

~~~~

He had been enjoying his steak and eggs until his plate suddenly got filled with coffee. “What the fuck…” he growled as he glared up at the waitress who was suppose to be pouring him another cup of coffee. The woman stared out the window as if in a trance, with wide eyes and an open mouth. When Logan followed her gaze out the window what he saw was complete chaos. The people outside first stood around as they stared up in amazement at the falling snow on the muggy August day. They continued to be amazed at the snow suddenly turned to rain, which swiftly turned into large balls of hail. This had the people screaming and running for shelter. As he watched all he kept thinking was, “Ro’s in trouble.” He suddenly jumped from his stool and grasped the waitress’s arm, which still held the empty coffee pot over his plate.

“Hey, have you seen this woman?” He asked as he held out the small picture of Ororo that he kept in his wallet. He had planned to be more tactful in his approached but as he watched a small tornado stroll down the main street he knew he had to find Ororo soon.

“No not really,” The waitress replied as she then turned her attention back to the window, but the slight pressure around her wrist regained her attention.

“What do ya mean, ‘not really’?”

“I mean I aint really seen her face just the hair, it kind of sticks out around here like a sore thumb. The only place in town I ever see her go is to Mr. Jones’ general store.” She said as she point across the street. Logan released her arm, tossed some money on the counter and headed out. If it hadn’t been for the metal in his body he was sure he would have probably been blown away as he made his way across the street. When he entered the store the bell above the door announced him.

“That’s some crazy weather out there huh?” The elderly man behind the counter said in greeting.

“Have you seen this woman?” Logan asked ending the pleasantries, as he slammed Ororo’s picture on the counter top.

“Uh…is she in some kind of trouble?” The old man asked nervously.

“Some kind.” Logan replied.

“Well, lets see…” the old man spoke as he picked up the picture to ‘take a better look’. Logan suddenly felt respect for the man, it was obvious that the man knew Ororo and also that he had no intentions of telling Logan of her whereabouts.

“Look she’s my wife.” Logan spoke in a calm voice as he held up another picture; one taken at their wedding.

“Ohhh, well why didn’t you say so.” The old man grinned showing all the places his teeth use to be. “She mentioned that her husband was a truck driver, who was on the road a lot. Bout time you blew into town. I do worry about that girl out there in them swamps all alone. And yer cutting it close aintcha, I saw her this morning and she’s bout ready to…”At that moment the bell over the door jingled and a winded young boy toting a large box, rushed in. “Antwain, you alright boy?”

“Yeah Mr. Jones ‘cept I can’t make that delivery to Missus Howlot.” The boy words gained Logan’s full attention. “That storms even worse by the river. The waters were too choppy and I was too scared to go out.”

“It’s a good thing you didn’t boy.” Mr. Jones said.

“Where’s that boat?” Logan asked and the already frighten boy seemed to shiver as he stared up at the huge hairy stranger, whom he had noticed before then.

“Ah, Antwain this is Missus Howlot’s husband, Mr. Howlot.” Mr. Jones explained and a relieved look came over the boy’s face.

“Oh…well my boat’s docked down by the river. That is if’n it aint been swept away by all that wind. But I wouldn’t recommend you get’n out on them waters.”

“I’ll take my chances, which way upstream or down?”

“Down, “ The boy said and then shoved the box of supplies he had been holding, into Logan’s hands. “Here take these, Missus Howlot paid for them earlier. Please tell her I’m sorry that I couldn’t deliver them, but those waters are just too dangerous.” Logan didn’t reply just rushed out; heading in the direction the boy had pointed to.

~~~~

The boy hadn’t exaggerated about how rough the river was. Logan and the boat had nearly tipped over five times, but he kept heading down the river. The further he went the rougher it got so he was sure he was heading in the right direction. He silently prayed to pick up a scent to follow, but then instantly regretted it when he got a scent, but instead of the scent of sands and sables, Ororo’s favorite fragrance, his nostrils filled with the scent of blood. He suddenly became anxious, as fear and then rage settled in the pit of his stomach. He closely scanned the woods on either side of the river, until his eyes settle on a small cabin like house about 40 meters from the river’s edge, and he began paddling like a mad man. As he reached the shore Ororo’s scream nearly pierced his ears, and he abandoned the boat and practically clawed through the deep mud, which in some areas was waist deep.

He rushed up onto the porch and found the door opened. The stench of blood streamed through the doorway and it nearly made his knees buckle. He hesitated, fearing what he would find if he entered, if the smell was any indication, it was a blood bath in there.

“Goddess, help me!” Ororo scream and slapped Logan into action as he burrowed into the house, with claws extracted and canines showing.

“RO!” Logan roared as he rushed into the bedroom, and for a moment Ororo didn’t seem to notice the pain, all she could focus on was the man standing before her. For a moment she had thought it was all a dream, until she then realized the reason she had been in a hurry to leave.

“Logan,” She called out breathless and reached out her hand to him. He just stood motionless and stared at the scene before him; Ororo lying on a bed, covered in blood with her legs opened and… “Ahhhh!” Her scream finally pushed him into motion and he moved to her and firmly grasped her hand. She gripped his hand and lifted up a bit and from the look on her face Logan could see she was straining, pushing.

“No, darlin don’t push.” He said.

“I have to, I have to get her out. There’s something wrong.” She spoke as the contraction ended and she fell back. “There something wrong with our baby Logan. She can’t die, please don’t let her die.” Ororo cried as she buried her face in the nook of Logan’s neck. He could only squeeze his eyes shut and try to calm his rage. A rage at God and at this situation, a situation he feared would happen if they ever got pregnant again. Their child’s life wasn’t the only one hanging in the balance, so was Ororo’s and his, for he knew if this baby died so would Ororo, she would die inside and he would lose her forever, and that would be the death of him as well.

“Ok darlin,” He spoke softly as he moved from her side and down in between her legs. “We’re gonna get this baby out, and she’s gonna be fine and beautiful just like her momma.” Ororo absorbed his words as if they were giving her strength, power. She nodded her head and then gripped the back of her thighs preparing from another contraction and when it hit she pushed and screamed as hard as she could. It had only taken two more pushes before the little lethargic body slipped out and into Logan’s hands. He used a claw to cut the cord and then clipped it with one of the clothespins on the make shift clothesline in the corner of the room. His heart stopped for a moment for he could tell the baby wasn’t getting much air and the memories of their son flooded his mind.

“Is she ok, why isn’t she crying?” Ororo’s weak voice asked and Logan blinked back tears and came back to reality as he moved from the bed and turned his back to Ororo. He used his finger to try to clear out the baby’s mouth, but still she struggled for air. So he took his own mouth and covered the baby’s mouth and nose and sucked and then spat, until he was sure her airways were clear.

“Come on half pint,” He whispered to the baby, who was now still. “Hate ta do it to you baby girl, but it’ll be an early lesson to obey yer father,” He said and then grasped the baby’s feet, lifted her and then firmly smacked her backside. Instantly the room filled with screams, as the baby began to wail, which caused Ororo to join in. Logan moved back to the bed, reuniting mother with child, a very wide-eyed and alert child. He didn’t have long to revel at the scene of his family altogether again, before his ears perked up to the sound of approaching footsteps. He stalked to the bedroom door **SNIKT**. The sound of Logan’s blades popping out gained Ororo’s attention and instantly put her on guard, she was in no real condition to fight but she would be damned if she would let anything happen to her baby. Logan ducked a bit readying to pounce and a growl rolled from his mouth as the first body walked up onto the porch.

“Whoa…Logan, its me, Scott!” The man spoke as he raised one of his hands, but kept the other on his visor just in case. Two other forms appeared beside him; Jean and Hank, who didn’t wait, but rushed in to see to Ororo and the baby. Scott moved to Logan who now stood in the living room giving Jean and Hank the room to work in.

“How did ya know we were here.” Logan asked even though he already knew the answer.

“The Professor, he sensed Ororo’s pain and finally used Cerebro to locate her. Is she ok?”

“Yeah I think her and the baby will be fine.” Logan said as he turned to look in on them.

“Baby?” Scott repeated as he himself looked into the room, where Hank was exiting with the swaddled baby.

“Jean wanted to clean Ororo up a bit before we leave, but both mother and child are beautiful and healthy.” Hank said as he held out the bundled up baby to Logan, who quickly snatched her up into his arms. “So what is her name?” Hank asked.

“Up until an hour ago I didn’t even know she existed, so you’ll have to ask Ororo that one.” Logan said as he stared at his daughter as if she were the most magnificent thing he had ever laid eyes on.

“I did and she said to ask you.” Hank replied with a smile.

“Keira,” Logan blurted out without giving it much thought.

“Keira, lovely and quite appropriate. It’s of Scottish origin meaning ‘Miracle’ in some areas and ‘dark complexion’ in other areas, both I think fits her perfectly.” Hank said. “Great choice Logan.”

“I just like that actress from those pirate movies.” Logan said softly to his daughter who seemed to smile at him. “But don’t tell yer mother that’s who I named you after.” Suddenly the bedroom door reopened and both Jean and Ororo walked out, with Ororo leaning on Jean for support. Logan passed the baby back to Hank and moved to his wife, whom he scooped up into his arms. “Lets go home.” He said as he followed the others out. Ororo eyed him cautiously, as he walked in silence.

“You’re very mad at me aren’t you?” She whispered only wanting him to hear her.

“I was, but now I’m just hurt.” Logan replied and Ororo clamped her eyes shut as fresh tears fell from her eyes.

“I’m sorry…” She began to explain only to be cut off.

“Don’t be, it aint yer fault, it's mine. After the way I treated ya and the things I said, I didn’t leave you much choice. So I’m sorry.” Logan said and then leaned in and kissed her forehead. “I’m just glad ya didn’t listen to me.” Ororo snuggled closer to him after hearing his words, she thanked the Goddess for her many blessing that day, and was hopeful that everything would be ok for them.

~~~~

“Report,” The man spoke into the phone, as he sat at the head of the conference table, which was full of other bodies, high-ranking officials in the Canadian and US military. “Good, keep up the surveillance and report back anything new, no matter how minor. Oh and make sure to keep a safe distance, if he senses you, you’re dead.” With that the man hung up the phone and smiled to the men and women at the table. “I think we can officially reopen Dept. K and the Weapon X project.”

“You are honestly thinking of recapturing the Wolverine, you do recall how that ended last time?” One of the General’s spoke out.

“No, I have someone else in mind, some one I think will be more…compliant.” The man answered with a smile.





You must login () to review.