He hadn’t really been looking for her, because he already knew exactly where she was. At that time of day Ororo always put Keira down for her nap. So when Logan quietly entered their bedroom he was not surprised to see his wife and child cuddled up on their bed; Keira sound asleep with Ororo gently rocking her and humming some song to her. He watched silently for a few seconds until Ororo finally noticed his presence. When she looked over at him and threw him a gentle smile some of the dread and worry he had been feeling dispelled. Ever since their discovery that Keira was in fact a mutant and seemed to have some of his mutant abilities, Logan had thought for sure it would be the end of their happy family life. He feared Ororo would be angry with him for their daughter’s mutation.

“Bit early it’n it?” Logan spoke softly as he lifted his wrist as if checking the time. “Usually she’s still awake debating the fact that she’s not tired and therefore doesn’t need a nap.” His words brought a knowing smile to Ororo’s lips and a slight nod of her head.

“I suppose today’s events wore her out. She gave no protests today.” She leaned down and placed a soft kiss atop her daughter’s white tresses.

“Did you answer any of her questions about being a mutant?” He asked as he moved to the bed, sat, and then timidly reached out and rubbed his hand across Ororo’s jean clad thigh. When she didn’t appear to be bother by his touch his tension eased a bit.

“No,” Ororo answered as she shook her head slightly. “I thought it best if we ‘both’ talked with her about that, my love.” At her last words, Logan’s fears dispelled completely. He knew then Ororo was not angered nor would blame him for Keira’s mutation.

“Uh-huh, so you were chicken,” Logan said with a slight chuckle.

“Goddess yes, I just did not know how to answer her. No matter the words I conjure up in my head to say, I fear they all will be too scary for her.”

“Baby, words will be a lot less scary for her than having claws or electricity shooting from her hands.” Logan stated and by the way Ororo’s mouth fell open and her eyes doubled in size he knew his words had frightened her. “Naw, Hank didn’t say she had those mutations, just the healing factor, but considering we’re her parents it aint far-fetched ta think she may get my claws or some of your abilities.” Ororo’s nerves calmed a bit and she gave an understanding nod of agreement. “So I think we need ta be completely honest. Tell her what being a mutant means and about our mutations. Have the others tell her about and show her their mutations. When it’s all said and done I think she’ll feel more at ease than scared.”

“When you put it like that I feel foolish for not wanting to tell her before now. I suppose a part of me wanted to pretend that she would be ‘normal’, and she would not have to bare the cruelty and injustices this world places on mutants.”

“Normal’s over-rated,” Logan stated. “She’s probably gonna be a very powerful mutant, and honestly I like the idea that she has the ability to heal like me.”

“Yes, I like that too, but the more powerful she is Logan the more feared she will be, that will surely make her a target.”

“Darlin, if anyone is dumb enough ta come after our kid, ta do her harm, they’ll be in for a very rude awakening.” Logan practically growled out, angered by the mere thought of it. “Keira’s got us and a lot of other very powerful family members. All of whom would gladly lay down their lives to protect her. So God help anyone who tries ta hurt her, but even God won’t be able to help them when I get my hands on’em.”




“Quadrupled?” The man seated behind the large oak desk spat back at the black man seated before him.

“That’s what I said,”

“Look John, I know you and Logan have history from your days with Team X…”

“Yeah we gotta a lot of history, but this aint gots nothing to do with some code of brotherhood or some shit like that,” John Wraith aka Kestral spoke from his seat across from Colonel Stryker. “You’re asking me to kidnap the kid of the Wolverine so you can experiment on her. This is Wolverine we’re talkin about and it aint gonna be easy, which I suspect you already know being that yer doing this so covertly instead of going in with guns blazing. I hear that didn’t work out so well for you the last time.” Kestral mocked around a grin as he reached up and traced a finger around the brim of his Stetson hat. Stryker silently clinched his jaws in anger but remained otherwise unmoved by the taunting. “So if ya want me to sign my own death warrant, ‘cause we both know that’s what we’d be doing if we take Wolverine kid, then yer gonna have to make it well worth my wile. So like I said it’s gonna be quadruple my usual fee, that’s 20 million in case yer calculator is broken.”

“Very well, I’ll have the funds transferred to the usual account ‘once’ I have what I want.” Stryker said.

“Just like that?”

“You’ve set your price and I am agreeing, what more is there?”

“What tha fuck ya planning on doing to that kid?” Kestral inquired out loud what was running through his mind, along with flashes of memories of the things done to him and the other members of the Team X in the Weapon X project.

“That is no concern of yours Kestral,” Stryker replied as he leaned over his desk and began to read over the paperwork there, clearly dismissing Kestral. “You just get in and out with the cargo, without Wolverine seeing you.”

“Oh I’ll be long gone before anyone even knows I was there, not that it will matter,” Kestral said as he stood from his chair and made his way to the door. “It aint gonna take Wolverine long ta know I was there and then he’s gonna track his kid right back here, and right ta you.” With that said Kestral tipped his hat and exited the office.

“Oh I’m counting on it.” Stryker spoke out to the now empty office.


Sometime Later



“So I’m abominable?” Proclaimed Keira in delight after her parents finished telling her about mutants and her new mutation. Her words completely confused her mother but garnered a loud bark of a laugh from her father.

“What?” Ororo inquired as she turned to her tickled spouse for the explanation.

“She means is she indestructible,” He explained. “No yer not, so doncha go off doing stupid things that could really get yerself hurt.” He spoke out directly to his daughter. “Didn’t it hurt when ya broke yer arm?”

“Yes, a whole lot.” Keira answered with a vigorous nod of her head and a sad pout at the recollection. Her words and expression caused a deep ache in Logan’s soul even though he could see she was fine. It also caused Ororo who was already holding their child, to tug her even closer and kiss the top of her head.

“Ok, so just because yer bones heal faster than normal folks that don’t mean it won’t hurt a whole lot if ya break them. So if ya don’t want ta feel that kind of hurt again what do ya gotta do?”

“Not break my bones.” Keira answered with a proud smile.

“That’s right pum’kin.”

“So we’re the same kind of mutant Daddy? Are you a mutant too momma?” Keira asked as she leaned her head to the side a bit to look up at her mother, who held her in her lap.

“Yes,” Ororo replied and then held out her right hand. Her eyes turned white as she conjured a tiny cloud which hovered just above her hand. Keira’s eyes widened in delight as rain began to fall from the cloud, followed by lightening, and then the thunderstorm turned to a snow storm. “I can control the weather.” Keira frowned up a bit as she cut her eyes at her father and then back to her mother and then she leaned in closer and whispered.

“I wish my mutant was like yours momma, but don’t tell daddy.” She spoke in a very hushed tone that made her mother giggle; partly because she was pleased by the accolades and partly because she knew Logan had heard. The moment was interrupted by the distinctive sound of Logan’s blade unsheathing *SNIKT*. Keira’s eyes widened and her mouth fell open as she gawked at the blades protruding from her father’s right hand. Logan made a show of displaying each blade. He quickly retracted them, only to just as quickly pop them back out. He then retracted them again, and then popped each one of them out one by one. When he was done Keira remained silent as she continued to stare awestricken at Logan’s hands, and he began to fear that he might have frightened her. “Coool!” She whooped loudly. “Do I get those too daddy…I want those too!” Keira exclaimed excitedly as she leapt from her mother’s lap to her father’s to get a closer look.

“Show off,” Ororo mumbled knowing she would be heard by Logan, who in turn just tossed back a wink and a pleased smile over the fact that he was clearly the favorite.





You must login () to review.