Author's Chapter Notes:
Author's Note: Wow, it's been since 2003 that I published this here and since 2014 that I last updated it. Well, you will be happy to know that I plan to wrap this one up in just one more chapter after this one. Thank you for sticking with it. I hope it still flows well and you are entertained.
The growl emitted from Logan's mouth before he was even fully awake, which awakened Ororo. And a split second afterward his eyes had snapped open and he was rushing from the bed and to the door that adjoined their bedroom to Keira's.

"Logan," Ororo called out to him in a whispered tone as she rushed after him. "What is wrong?" She bumped into his back in the darkened space as he had abruptly stopped dead in his tracks upon opening Keira's door.

"Now, before we lose our heads, I didn't come here to cause trouble," A man's voice spoke out and, in a panic, Ororo pushed past Logan, but her arm instantly became entrapped in Logan's vice grip.

"Who are you? Why are you here?" Ororo commanded as her eyes whitened and lightning began to flash outside the windows in the room.

"No, 'Ro, he can teleport her out of here before we could do anything about it," Logan stated as he held her still while keeping his eyes locked onto the slender black man wearing a cowboy hat, who sat on the side of Keira's bed, gently stroking her white hair.

"He's right, I can, but like I said I ain't here to cause no trouble," The man stated again.

"Then what the fuck do you want Kestrel?" Logan asked and his familiarity with the stranger made Ororo look over at her husband for a second before focusing back onto the man. After their encounter with Stryker at Alkali Lake Logan had been able to find files about the Weapon X project and missions he had done for Stryker with a team of other mutants. These files and the help of the Professor had been enough to help Logan unlock forgotten memories from the past 20 years. Logan clearly recalled the man seated on his daughter's bed as a fellow member of Stryker's Team X. Once upon a time he'd even considered Kestrel a friend.

"I came to warn you," Was all Kestrel offered before going silent again.

"And you forgot how to use a phone?"

"Not for this," Kestrel shook his head. "Stryker, has eyes and ears everywhere," The name didn't get any reaction from Logan but it confused Ororo.

"Stryker? I thought you killed Stryker at Alkali Lake, over five years ago," Ororo stated as she looked to her husband.

"Yeah, we also thought I had killed Sabretooth too, but we both know he survived. They're both fuck'n cockroaches, and just as hard as hell ta get rid of," Logan hissed out.

"Well, I can assure you, William Stryker, is very much alive and back to his old tricks, and he's fully funded by the US government too. So, I had to make it look like I was going to do the job he hired me to do," Kestrel said. "You know Stryker trusts no one. He sends in Team A to do the job, and also sends in Team B to make sure Team A gets the job done. Right now, his top mission is your daughter," At hearing this, Logan released another deep growl and it was loud enough to disturb Keira's slumber and she stirred.

"Daddy?" Her tiny voice filled the room as she rubbed her hands against her eyes to wipe away the sleep. Before she opened her eyes Kestrel blinked away and Ororo hurried to Keira's bed and yanked her daughter up into her arms, and held her in a tight embrace while she looked about the room for Kestrel. "What's wrong mommy?" Keira questioned as she began to cry, frightened by the tight hold her mother had on her and by the scared look on both of her parent's faces.

"Where did he go?" Ororo asked as she continued to spin about the room afraid the man would pop out of the darkness and steal her child away.

"Not far," Logan replied as he sniffed the air. "C'mon, I'm taking you and Keira to Jean and I want you to stay there until I come for you. Tell her what's going on and that she needs ta put a shield around Keira, ta keep her safe from teleportation."

"Where are you going?" Ororo asked as she allowed Logan to usher them from their rooms down the hall to Jean and Scott's bedroom.

"I'm gonna go talk ta, Kestrel" He replied. "He's a lot of things, darlin, but not a liar. If he had come here to take Keira she'd be gone already, and if Stryker did send him then there is someone else likely outside who is watching to ensure the job gets done. And if it ain't done, there'll be more com'n."

"Oh Goddess," Ororo whimpered out more afraid than she could recall ever being to the thought of someone wanting to take her child away for some unknown reason, which she was sure was no good reason. They finally stood in front of Jean and Scott's bedroom door, Logan gave a couple of hard blows with his fist and then leaned in to focus on his wife and child as he heard Scott's sleep-laced voice call out that he was coming.

"I ain't gonna let nothing happen to Keira or you, I promise you," He swiftly kissed his wife's lush lips and then kissed his daughter's forehead just as Scott opened the door.

"Hey, what's going on?" Scott croaked out.

"Uncle Scott," Keira sobbed as she reached out for the man who besides her father she trusted and loved the most in the world. In the beginning, it had irked Logan to no end when he realized how much his daughter seemed to adore Scott, but that subsided when he saw that Scott reciprocated that adoration and love 10-fold. Logan then knew there was someone he could count on to protect his little girl and love her like his own. Scott quickly scooped her from Ororo's hesitant embrace and kissed the top of her head as she buried her face against the nook of his neck, and clung to him tightly.

"What's going on, Wolverine?" Scott direct to Logan fully understanding it had to be something dire for Logan to bring his most beloved to his door.

"I don't know the full story yet, I'm about to go get it," Logan answered. "Don't let them outta your sight, or leave this room. And ask Jean ta put up one of her mind shields to protect them," He commanded and Scott nodded his understanding needing no further explanation. He had known Logan long enough to trust not to question him when he was on a mission, which he clearly was at that moment. Scott grasped Ororo's arm, readying to make her comply by force if necessary.

"But Logan…" She started to protest but he instantly cut her off.

"'Ro, baby, please don't fight me on this. The sooner I can get to Kestrel, the sooner I can find out what's going on so we can stop it," He said and she nodded and then moved into Jean and Scott's bedroom. Knowing his family was safe Logan turned and stalked away.



Moments later, down in the kitchen



It didn't take Logan long to locate where Kestrel was in the school, mostly because Kestrel was not trying to hide from him. His teleportation powers could have made the task impossible had he not wanted Logan to find him.

"You living in a fancy place like this, and still drinking this piss, Wolverine?" Kestrel spoke out from his seat at the table where he sipped the familiar beer.

"I just work here, I don't own any of it," Logan answered as he moved to the nearby counter and leaned against it casually. He folded his arms across his chest and tried to look as relaxed and unthreatening as he could, even though in his mind he was running attack scenarios in his head. In case he did have to do battle with the man. "Why is Stryker coming after my kid?"

"He says he wants her for one of his 'projects'," Kestrel replied knowing he didn't have to provide further details about what that meant. "But that's really just smoke and mirrors."

"And what's the reality of it?"

"Weapon X," Kestrel proclaimed and an empty coldness settled in the pit of Logan's stomach as flashes of the experiments conducted on him played in his head. "You were always his favorite project, Logan, and he's always wanted you to come back and work for him. But he knows you'd never volunteer for that shit again. So, he's using your kid as leverage to bring you back in the fold, and if she has any of your traits, well…" He let that hang there as Logan snapped hard, deadly eyes onto the black man seated in front of him.

"Well, you can go tell Stryker he cannot have either of them," Storm's voice called from behind Logan, who turned to regard her with disapproving eyes. He knew immediately that she had followed him down and had used her powers to throw him off her scent. Logan remained silent as she now stood at his side, he knew there was no need to argue because she wasn't going to leave.

"Sorry, ma'am, but he ain't the kind of guy who readily takes no for an answer, thus the reason I am here," Kestrel replied.

"So, you still plan to try to take my child from me?" She asked as her eyes whitened and lightning suddenly filled the room. "I promise you will not succeed," Kestrel looked in obvious fright as he held his hands up in surrender.

"No ma'am," He stammered and Logan smirked a little as he got pleasure from seeing his old mercenary comrade cower under the fierceness of Storm, and seeing her in her magnificent glory always aroused him too. Though his eyes and mind remained focused on the current situation. "I didn't come here to take your little girl. Logan can tell you that ain't never been the kind of thing I did," Logan had to nod to that truth, because of all of the members on their Team X Kestrel had been the one who seemed to often take a moral high ground and refuse to do certain jobs. And harming kids was definitely one.

"I believe him, 'Ro," Logan spoke to her. "It's okay, baby," He coaxed and she powered down.

"I honestly just came to warn you and I've lost a fortune doing it."

"So, why do it? You could've just handed our kid over to Stryker and walked away rich, not really get'n your hands dirty," Logan probed and then held up his hands to silence his wife who stared at him in outrage over what he said, and was about to fume at him. She kept her mouth closed but he knew she would tear into him later about it.

"Because I knew if I had done that you would have tracked me down and killed me for it," Kestrel replied what he knew was a fact, and Logan grunted and nodded.

"And he would not have been alone," Ororo threw in as she glared down at the seated man.

"Damn, Wolverine, how you manage to find a mate scarier than you?" Kestrel spoke teasingly but meant every word, as he appreciatively raked his gaze over Ororo's frame, and she rolled her eyes at him in reply.

"You know Stryker will probably send people to kill you too, now," Logan stated.

"Yeah, and it wouldn't be the first time, but none of them are as good at what they do, not like you. I ain't never met a motherfucker as ruthless and relentless as you are, especially when you're pissed off … Well, Sabretooth comes close but he's too depraved and mentally unstable, which makes him have vulnerabilities one can use against him. Probably why I've always managed to get the upper hand on him during the few encounters I've had with him in the past. And I think you know already, that that's who Stryker will send for you now that Plan A is a bust," Kestrel said. "He's got a healing factor just like yours, and he's always hated you something fierce," Those words struck fear in Ororo as she recalled all of her encounters with the beastly man.

"I'm not worried about Sabretooth. I'll track him down and cut his head off before he comes anywhere near my family," He then looked over to Ororo to reassure her, and she simply nodded her understanding but was still shaken by the thought of Sabretooth. "As for Stryker, I won't even have ta get my hands dirty with him. I'll just make a phone call," Logan stated nonchalantly and both Ororo and Kestrel stared at him intrigued for a moment. "I appreciate you warning us, I really do, but if you ever go near my kid again I will kill you, and it won't be slow or pretty kill either. Do you understand?"

"I hear you, loud and clear, brother," Kestrel replied as he settled the empty beer bottle atop the table and started to stand. "And I promise you-"

BOOM-CRASH!

Logan stood staring in shock at the crumbled, burnt, and still smoking body that lay in a far corner. He then turned his large eyes to where Ororo still stood staring in disgust at the form.

"I did not kill him and the burns are only first degree. When he awakens, he will be in great pain but he will live and he will know never to come near our child again. And he can tell others what to expect if they try," She spoke calmly. "Now, please, remove him from our home, Logan," Logan silently nodded as he watched his wife turn and leave the kitchen before he began his task of getting Kestrel to a hospital.



A couple of hours Later



It had been a long night and he was tired, but he was also determined to wait until he had gotten word from Kestrel or the backup team that the mission was complete. William Stryker had just come from the labs where he had been checking on one of his many experimental projects. He re-entered his dark office to discover he had a visitor waiting for him.

"Are you really this damn stupid?" Asked the man who sat casually behind Stryker's desk with his feet crossed atop the desk. "You really thought it was a smart move going after Wolverine's kid? A kid whose mother also happens to be an omega level mutant who can control the weather and elements."

"I thought we had an unspoken agreement that if you don't ask, I don't have to tell you about all the projects we do here. So long as it gets 'you' and Shield the results you want, Fury," These words incited Nick Fury and he quickly dropped his feet from the desk, leaned in, rested his elbows on the desk, interlocked his fingers together, and sent the man standing before him a deadly and menacing glare. Stryker couldn't stop himself from outwardly flinching as he gulped down the lump that had formed in his throat.

"Shield has invested a lot of money into the projects 'we've' approved for you to be doing here, at this facility 'we've' set up for you," Fury spoke in a low graveled toned. "Now, we know you have your side projects and it's those we choose not to 'ask' about. But now I'm asking about this particular project involving Wolverine … No, actually I'm telling you to stop whatever this project is that you have running that involves Wolverine. Because Shield does not want him finding this place, leaving dead bodies everywhere, and burning everything to the fucking ground! You should know better than anyone how deadly that man is, after all, you tortured him into being a killing machine. So, why the hell are you 'poking the bear'?"

"You yourself have told me how you saw the potential in the Weapon X project," Stryker countered.

"Yeah, and I also said it was a major fuckery and too dangerous to try again," Fury countered back as he now stood from behind the desk. "Shut down 'all' of your side projects, right now, Stryker or Shield will have to find someone else to run things here," Fury spoke this as he made his way to the door. "Oh, and if you go after Wolverine's kid again or any kid for that matter, I'm going to put a bullet in your head. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal," Stryker replied begrudgingly and then turned to find that Nick Fury had already left. He then moved to his desk, picked up the phone, and dialed out. "Hello, Reynolds, this is Stryker, I want you to halt all of the covert missions we have in play, and recall all of the teams. Yes, all of them, worldwide. Until further notice from me," He then swiftly hung up the phone, picked it back up again, and dialed out. "Kestrel was a bust … Yes, I know you told me so, and that's not important right now. That mission is over, we leave the kid alone. And that's an order, you do not touch a hair on her head. Wolverine? Well, the Wolverine is no longer a vital asset to me, and whatever happens to him is not my concern. Do you understand Creed? Good," Stryker hung up the phone as a sinister smile spread across his face. If he couldn't have Wolverine as his weapon, then he'd make sure no one else could either.




He entered the bedroom to find both his wife and child huddled together in the middle of the bed reading a book. Keira's eyes instantly lit up upon seeing her father.

"Hi Daddy," She greeted excitedly as she closed the book and jumped up and straight into her father's waiting arms.

"Hey Pum'kin, whatcha doing up here, it's not nap time yet. Did you do something bad?" He arched a brow at her, but he already knew why she had been locked away in their bedroom for most of the day. She just shook her head no and then rested it against his shoulders.

"Mommy says I can't leave the room," She whispered to him and he looked down at his wife with a scowl on his face. She purposely avoided his gaze as she busied herself with flipping through the book she still held. At that moment a knock came on the door.

"Come in," Logan spoke out and the door opened and Jean stood in the doorway.

"I hope I'm not interrupting, but Scott and I are about to watch a movie down in the rec room and I wanted to see if Keira could join us," She said and Keira's snapped her head up from her father's shoulder and her eyes lit up as she looked at her Auntie Jean.

"Is it Dumbo?" Keira asked excitedly and the three adults all smiled because they'd all had to endure countless hours of watching that movie over and over with Keira.

"Yes, how did you know?" Jean teased as she smiled at her Goddaughter, who beamed back at her.

"Thank you, Jean-" Ororo began to speak as she stood from the bed, but Logan cut her off and he quickly handed Keira over to Jean, who eagerly wrapped the child into her embrace.

"That's a great idea, but don't let her eat too much candy," Logan said and the biggest brightest smile crossed Keira's face.

"But can I eat lots of popcorn daddy?" Keira asked and Logan sent her a toothy smile, a smile that only Keira could ever seem to pull from him.

"Sure, but I don't wanna hear you complain'n later 'bout your tummy ache'n."

"I won't, I promise, daddy."

"No," Ororo spoke out again in a firm tone and pulled all eyes to her. "Keira needs to stay here with me, but thank you for the kind offer, Jean. Maybe some other time."

"It's all right, she can go watch the movie," Logan replied back as he reached over and grasped Ororo's wrist to stop her from getting close enough to remove Keira from Jean's arms. "You know she's still frightened about what happened last night," He spoke lowly to Ororo so Keira couldn't hear his word. "Do you really want to cause her more worry from witnessing us argue'n in front of her?" His words stilled Ororo, who then took a deep breath, plastered on a brave smile, and nodded.

"Okay, you can go, but Jean…"

"You know you never have to ask, Ororo," Jean cut her off. *I would protect her with my life, and so would Scott, you know that. I promise you she is completely safe and well protected in this house* She spoke those words telepathically to her dear friend.

"Thank you," Ororo replied as she fought to hold in the tears that wanted out at that moment. "Okay, little one, you have fun and you listen to your Aunt Jean and Uncle Scott."

"Yes, mommy," Keira replied as she beamed and waved off her parents as Jean carried her from the room and closed the door behind her. The second the door shut, Ororo covered both hands over her mouth to hold in her screams as the tears now fell. Logan instinctively grabbed her and pulled her into his arms.

"She's safe baby," Logan spoke gently as he held her tightly and rocked them a little. "We've reported what happened last night to everyone and they're all on high alert. Jean and Charles have blockers in place to prevent anyone from just popp'n in here and snatch'n her away. Besides, you remember the call I told'ja about? Well, that call was a favor to a very powerful government agency, and they've assured me that they've shut Stryker down and he will not come for Keira again. Nothing is gonna happen to either of you, I swear it on my life, darlin."

"And what of you?" Ororo questioned as she sniffed back her tears and looked into his eyes. "I could not bear it if something happened to you either. This Kestrel man said this was all a ruse to get you. And what about sabretooth?" She continued as she now gripped the black t-shirt he wore as if this would somehow protect him from any harm. "I have no doubt he will still come for you and me. He seems quite fixated on making me scream for him, remember?" She stated as she rested her head against Logan's chest. A rage suddenly filled him as he too recalled that encounter. And Logan knew she was right, if Sabretooth was still working with Stryker, he knew Sabretooth would come, even if Stryker had ordered him to stand down. Logan knew he had to find Sabretooth first.

"'Ro, thank you for lov'in me," He whispered to her as he kissed her hair and then closed his eyes as he drank in her closeness. She tried to pull back to look into his face but he only tightened his hold to keep her pressed to him as he continued to speak. "Thank you for giv'n me, James and Keira. 'Cause of you I've stopped search'n for things in my past 'cause, I finally have a home and a family, thanks to you. And I ain't gonna let nobody do harm to you or Keira, not ever."

"Logan…" She started to speak as she struggled in his arms. She could sense that he was saying goodbye to her.

"Listen to me, 'Ro, please, just listen," He continued and she stilled once more as fresh tears pour from her eyes and she sobbed openly, which made Logan's own tears brim in his eyes. "I gotta do this, and I gotta do this alone," She vigorously shook her head to this. "Yes, baby, I can't bring nobody else in on this, 'cause Sabretooth will use them as leverage against me. I, can't afford that kinda distraction … don't want to give him that advantage when I face him.

"Logan, my love, we are a team in life and in battle," Ororo spoke and then placed a kiss upon his chest. "If you must face Sabretooth, then you do not have to face him alone, you cannot. Please, Logan, please do not do this alone. I will not insist that you take me but take Cyclops or Colossus, please just do not go alone, pleaded," She sobbed so inconsolably that her despair was palpable to all of his enhanced senses.

"All right, darlin, I'll ask Colossus to tag along. Sabretooth's claw ain't likely to do much damage to his metal body," Ororo was finally able to pull back enough to smile up at him.

"Thank you, Logan," She spoke this around the kisses she planted on his lips. "And please return home to us," She then kissed his mouth and deepened the kiss as she snaked her arms around his neck. In turn, he welcomed her kisses, closeness, and warmth as he gripped her backside and lifted her. She instinctually wrapped her legs about his waist and plundered his mouth with her tongue before she pulled back to catch her breath. "Swear it, swear to me that you will return home to us."

"I swear I will," He replied even though he wasn't sure if he would. Then he fisted her thick, long tresses in his free hand and pulled her back into a passionate kiss. He moved them to the door, which he locked, and then they stumbled their way to their bed. There they spent the next two hours making frenzied love.



Sometime later



He stood in the garage facing the numerous vehicles. He had been fully suited up and ready to leave for nearly 10 minutes. He already decided on the best mode of transportation, but he hadn't been able to force himself to leave.

"If you leave without saying goodbye to her, and you don't return it's going to devastate her," A calm, gentle voice spoke out from behind him. He didn't turn to face them. He just kept his eyes locked down to his right hand, where he had been extracting and retracting the claws.

"I said my goodbyes to 'Ro," Logan replied. "If I make it back home to her I know she's gonna be madder than hell at me, 'cause I lied to her. But if I hadn't lied, she'd demand ta come, and I couldn't risk that. This is my fight for my hands ta get dirt in, and I don't want ta bring nobody else in on it"

"I know, but Ororo was not who I was referring to, Logan," Professor Charles Xavier stated, and this time Logan did look over at the wheelchair-bound man and drew out a heavy sigh. "You know that she's the reason why you haven't left yet, you need to say goodbye to Keira," Logan once again looked down at his now fisted hand. "I know that you have made up your mind and you are determined to go wherever it is you are going and that this is something you feel you must do alone. I can sense and understand that you are only doing what you feel is the only way to keep your family safe, and I am willing to help you by ensuring that Ororo continues to sleep until morning. But you have to see your daughter before you go."

"How the hell do I tell a four-year-old that her daddy's leaving her and he might not ever come back?"

"I do not know, Logan, but you must find a way. She is currently in the kitchen having an ice-cream desert with Jean," With that said, Xavier exited the garage. Logan soon followed him out and made his way to the kitchen. He had heard Keira's giggles before he had even reached the doorway, and it brought an instant smile to his face as well as a pang to his heart. Before he could even cross the threshold, Keira had already turned in the chair she was seated in and was smiling over at him. At that moment he suspected that his healing factor was not the only mutant trait she had gotten from him.

"Hi daddy!" She spoke excitedly. "Want some of my smasmashio ice cream?" She asked as she held out a spoonful of the green concoction to him. Both Logan and Jean chuckled at her attempts at saying pistachios.

"No thank you, Pum'kin, but daddy wanted to talk to you for a minute, okay?" He spoke this as he now stood before her. She placed her spoon in the bowl and gave her father a nod and her undivided attention. He did look over to Jean before he spoke again. "Can you stick around, Red, and I'll bring her right back to you. 'Ro's resting right now, so would you mind getting her bathed and putting her to bed,"

"I'd be happy to, Logan," Jean agreed with a nod and a smile to her Goddaughter, who smiled back at her. Jean suspected that Logan was leaving to go after this new threat to his family and knew there was no point in trying to talk him out of it or offering to go with him. So, she just sat at the table and watched Logan scoop his child into his arms and walk out the back door. Once they were outside, he hadn't moved them far from the door before he spoke again. "Daddy's gotta leave for a little while, Pum'kin."

"Can I go too, daddy?" She asked as her voice took on a pleading tone.

"No, baby, not this time."

"Are you gonna come back?" She questioned as if she knew already that there was a chance he wouldn't be returning. He quickly averted his eyes from hers and had to forcibly hold back his tears. He took a couple of seconds to compose himself before he replied.

"Don't daddy always come home to you, whenever he goes away?" He asked too chicken to give her a straightforward answer to her question. She smiled and nodded her head. "All right, then. This time, while I'm away I got an important job for you. I need you to look after your momma, for me, okay?"

"Is momma sick?" Keira asked as her eyes enlarged a little in fear and he silently cursed himself for causing it.

"No, no baby, she ain't sick. She's just a little sad, and she's gonna need a lotta hugs and kisses from you to cheer her up," He lied more easily. "You think you can do that for me while I'm gon?" She nodded and then frowned a little.

"Is she still sad because James is in heaven having fun, daddy?" She whispered this to him and he suspected that it was because she was afraid her mother might hear her. She had worked out on her own that James made her mother very sad, and sometimes the way her mother acted in her grief scared her.

"Yeah, baby," And this lie gutted him and made his berserker rage tingle just under his skin, but he kept his control. "But all she needs is your hugs and kisses, that's all."

"Okay, daddy. I'll give her lots and lots of hugs and kisses," She said this as she leaned in, kissed his cheek, and hugged him tightly as if to show him that she was up for the job. He clamped his eyes shut tightly, and inhaled her sweet scent. "I love you, daddy. You're tha bestest daddy in tha whole world," She whispered softly in his ear.

"And I love you too, Pum'kin," He mumbled back as he buried his nose in her hair and hugged her just a little tighter. "You're my heart-" He started to speak again and she cut him off as she finished the words, he had spoken to her for as long as she could recall.

"And momma's your soul, and together we make you whole," He smiled at hearing these very true words. They filled him with a strong determination to face off with Sabretooth, and with the hope that he will make it back home to his wife and daughter.




Final Chapter coming soon...





You must login () to review.