~~~~

She sighed deeply and slowly opening her eyes briefly before closing them again. After blinking a few times she kept them open trying to focus on her surrounding, when her eyes fell on the back of Logan’s head which rested on her lap. She watched him for a few seconds trying to recall what lead to their current situation.

“Logan?” She called out in a deep scratchy voice she couldn’t believe was hers. Logan’s head instantly shot up as he rose from the seat he had taken residence in.

“Hey darlin,” He spoke softly as he reached out a stroked her cheek. “Yer wake…Hank!” Logan turned and shouted over his shoulder, his hands still gripping her, not wanting to let go for fear she would slip back into her sleep state.


“Logan what…the baby!” She exclaimed as she bolted upright in the bed only to have Logan gently push her back.

“Lie back, yer still weak.” He spoke softly. She did so as she clutched at her now flat belly, frantically shoving the covers back to confirm that she was no longer pregnant.

“My baby…where…”

“Calm down darlin…relax…”

“Relax? I’ll relax when you tell me where my son is.” She said as she stared at him as he stood beside her, clenching his jaws and fists. She could sense that there was something wrong by his demeanor. “Logan, where is my baby?”

“He was early Ro,” He finally began to speak just as hank entered the room.

“Oh,” she said with a slight sigh as she settled back a bit. “So he’s premature, I sill want to see him, touch him, he needs me.”

“Ya can’t.” She frowned at him partly in confusion and partly in anger.

“Why cant I, you would keep me from him, Logan.” She said her lip quivering a bit as she fought back the urge to cry and then she realized she had no functions over her powers. “What is going on, my powers…I cannot…” She looked from Logan to Hank, and then to Jean, who now stood in the doorway. “Jean, thank the Goddess, please tell me what is going on, where’s my baby and why can’t I use my powers?” She asked as she focused her attention on her best friend, who looked to be on the verge of tears herself.

“We’ve blocked your powers,” She answered.

”Blocked why would you…” Ororo’s brow burrowed as she lowered her head in thought, trying to find a rational reason they would do it and the only thing she could come up with is they didn’t want her to possibly hurt someone, but why would she. Then realization struck. “Where is my Son?”

“Ororo,” Hank spoke out softly to her from his spot at her bedside, she didn’t look at him but locked eyes with Logan. “There were complications that are common with preemies…” Ororo squeezed her eyes tightly shut as her face crumbled, and the most sorrowful moan escaped from her lips, one that made Logan want to roar out in his own anger and frustrations.

“I want my baby, I want my baby…I WANT MY SON!!!!” She chanted and screamed. “I want...my son.” She cried as her body shook and she hugged herself.

“Ro,” Logan said reaching out to her, but she swiftly turned her body in the bed, curling up and away from the others as she continued to cry. Logan head bowed and his shoulders slumped in defeat as he stared at his wife’s trembling form, feeling helpless. Jean moved up beside him and placed her hand on his shoulder.

:I think we should give her time: She spoke within their heads and Hank nodded and left out, leaving Logan whom was more reluctant, but soon allowed himself to be pulled away by Jean.

~~~~

He would only stay away for an hour, before he had wandered back into the room, to Jean’s disapproval. He sat in a chair across the room, far from the bed, where Ororo lay motionless staring up at the ceiling, he silently watched her.

“Did you get to see him…hold him, at least, you know before?” Her voice called out but she kept her eyes on the ceiling and Logan taking this for invitation moved closer to the bed, taking the seat at her side.

“Yeah…but…he,” Logan paused, feeling himself choking up and not wanting to lose it again, like he had when he had held his son. “He was so tiny, darlin, he fit right in one hand.”

“Good, I am glad you got to hold him, he shouldn’t have been alone, he should know the touch of his father.” She said.

“He knew yer touch too, I brought him in here to ya.” Logan said and Ororo shifted her eyes to him. “Laid him across yer chest and boy he must have known you were his momma cause he stopped all his fussin, and boy was he fussing before…” Ororo smiled slightly as Logan continued his story. “He was a miracle, so little but he didn’t need no machines ta help him breathe, Hank was amazed by that, thought that was a good sign. He seemed fine, perfect just real small is all.” Ororo closed her eyes freeing the tears that had welled up. “Then his breathing got outta whack, looked like he was having a hard time, like he was struggling fer air, that’s when he went on the machines, ya know ta help him breathe, cept it didn’t help him.” Ororo suddenly burst out into laughter and Logan bunched his brow in confusion, wondering if she had completed lost her mind. “What’s so funny?”

“Everything…Instead of having the birth we have been planning for we will have a funeral instead.” She said between giggles that soon turned into sobs and this time Logan moved to her, enveloping her into his strong embrace and she welcomed him, holding on to him tightly as she cried out her pain.

~~~~

“…We therefore commit James Michael Howlett to the ground; earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust…” The priest’s words soon faded as did everyone else’s along with their faces as they one by one embraced Ororo and Logan, giving condolences for their loss. Then nothing could be heard but the chirping of young birds in the tree overhead, as Ororo and Logan sat silently by their child’s little grave, in the large Garden of the mansion.

“Do you think he will like it here?” She asked softly.

“Well, since he had some of you in him, I think he will and it’s close to tha lake, which is my favorite place. Yeah I think he will like it out here.”

“It was a nice service,”

“Yeah well that was Chuck and Jean’s idea, I aint much on religion.”

“Me neither, I do not believe in any God.” Ororo said plainly with a sigh, as Logan turned to look at her. “At least none that would take a small child just as he’s starting out in life.” She said frowning a bit as if disgusted. Logan couldn’t argue with her, not that he agreed with her thought, but simply because he himself never believed in the ‘Greater being’ concept, learning from experience that no one was looking out for him, except him, and that’s what he relied on and believed in. “You want to hear something sick,” She asked as she looked at him and he arched his brows, meaning for her to continue. “A part of me wants to dig him up, and hold him to me, and rock him in my arms. Is that not crazy, am I mad?”

“Naw, yer jus a mother.” Logan said with a heavy sigh.

“A childless mother.” She added as both sat with their eyes looking to the tiny headstone.





You must login () to review.