~~~~

“Hey, there you are.” She bounced down the stairs wearing overalls and her hair in pigtails. “I’ve been looking for you I need your help.” She said as the stepped from the last step to stand before the two men who had just entered the mansion.

“Sorry darlin, had ta go with Cyke ta check out some mutant activity for Chuck.” Logan said to his wife and he threw her a small smile, quite happy at her sudden happier mood. “What did ya need?”

“I need muscles, and yours are the biggest in the house, no offense Scott,” She threw out smiling at him briefly before turning back to Logan.

“None taken, I’ll leave you two to your task I’ll go report to the Professor what we learned.” He said to Logan, who simply nodded, and then Scott walked off heading towards the Professor’s office.

“You know now that were married half of these muscles belong to you now.” He said jokingly with a smile, which she returned as she linked arms with him and moved him back up the stairs.

“Good, let’s go then.”

They walked down the wing of the mansion that their room was in, a room that had once been just Logan’s but they now shared together. Ororo had been reluctant to leave her sanctuary up in the attic, but Logan had insisted saying the stairs were too dangerous for a pregnant woman to be traveling day in and day out and she finally gave in.

They approached their bedroom but Ororo didn’t lead them to their door but to the one just before it, which was adjacent to their, since Logan and Scott had punched a hole in the wall and put up a door to make it easier for Ororo to give those wee hour feeding and at the same time still giving the newlyweds some privacy.

“Ok, so I got most of it down but I need your help with the bigger things,” Ororo said as she opened the door to their baby’s nursery and walked in, leaving Logan at the door, staring in, in disbelief. “Like, the changing table and the crib…too many moving parts, I didn’t want to break it.” She went on but then noticed Logan hadn’t entered the room and she looked at in with a confused expression on her face. “What?”

“You did all this?” He asked as he looked around at the nearly bare walls that had, had a sky blue, wallpaper with a Teddy bear print on it.

“Yeah, once I got started just wanted to finish it,” She said turning and moving to the last wall with any wallpaper on it. “I got some tools from the garage, wasn’t sure what you needed to take it down…”

“Ro?” He saw her frown but then begin her task of tearing down the remaining paper “What are ya doin darlin.”

“What does it look like Logan, now if you start on that crib we should have this room back to normal before dinner.”

“Ya can’t pretend as if ‘he’ wasn’t here darlin, that this wasn’t his room.”

“Going to be…” She spoke out and he could hear the tremble in her voice as she tried not to cry. “He never got the chance to sleep in here so technically it never was ‘his’ room.”

“You know what I mean…”

“No, no I do not know,” She yelled finally turning her back to the wall, to face him. “One moment you’re telling me I have to stop crying and move on, now that I’m finally doing that now you’re telling me to stop…what do you want from me?” She asked her voice, face and demeanor crumbling as she slid down the wall. “It’s not fair Logan,” She nearly moaned and Logan had to swallow back his rage at seeing her so defeated and he slowed kneeled down in front of her. “I want him so badly even now, I just want to hold him, I didn’t even get to hold him. That’s not fair, that’s not fair,” She cried out nearly choking on her sobs. “I’m being punished…”

“Naw, ya aint darlin, if our son died as means of punishment fer what we done in the past, then trust me I’d be ta blame darlin not you. It’s life as bad as it is and as much as we hate it that’s all it is, death is a part of living, from the moment we're born we're dyin, but it’s hard when the young ones go too soon. It aint fair and we may not understand it, but it’s the way it is.”

“I just want him back Logan, so badly. I never even got to see him, to tell if he had my nose or your eyes…” Logan sighed heavily and bowed his head a bit. He then swiftly stood and stalked from the room, leaving Ororo to stare after him. A few seconds later he re-emerged moving back to her, and taking his position back in front of her. He held out something to Ororo and she stared at it a moment before reaching out to claim it.

“Didn’t know if I was ever gonna show ya those, but I guess ya got a right ta see.” He said gruffly as She looked down at the items, which were five Polaroid pictures of their son just after his birth. Ororo gasped and then giggled a bit in joy as she flipped through the pictures one by one, over and over. She stared at them intensely, studying every little detail.

“He had your nose,” She spoke around a huge smile.

“Yeah and yer mouth.”

“And definitely your hair, Goddess he’s beautiful.”

“Yes he was.” Logan said and Ororo looked at him her smile fading for a moment.

“Yes, he was.” She repeated sadly.

~~~~

“Hey Logan, where ya been, ah was looking for ya, ya got a package just delivered, something big it’s in tha study.” Rogue said as Logan walked in, coming in from working on an old car he was furbishing. He stared at the energetic teenager and shook his head and chuckled as he turned his focus towards the study, where he headed with Rogue right behind him. As soon as they entered their eyes fell on a huge crate. “Ya want me ta go get something ta pop it open wit?”

SNIKT!!!

“Ah guess not.” Rogue said with a smile as she watched Logan open the crate excitedly as if whatever was inside was something for her. “Wow, it’s beautiful,” Rogue said holding a hand to her chest as the other reached out and touched the item freed from its crate. She ran her fingers over the ivory smooth wood, tracing the detailed artwork covering it. Logan only glared down at it as if it were some kind of abomination. “Ororo is gonna love this…Oh,” Rogue spoke out quickly yanking her hand back as if the wood suddenly had gotten hot to the touch. “Oh…Ah…Ah sorry Logan, Ah…”

“It’s ok kid, I bought it fer Ro, just forgot about it.”

“What are ya gonna do wit it, Gawd it’s a beautiful bassinet too, with the African designs Ororo would have loved it.”

“Yeah that’s what I thought too when I saw it, why I got it. Guess I’ll donate it ta tha Red Cross or something, I’ll figure it out before Ro and Jean get back, you go on do whatever you were doing, I’ll take care of it, thanks.” Rogue nodded her head knowing that he wanted to be alone and she made a trek to the exit, pausing a moment to look back at him, for the first time actually seeing Logan look broken and defeated.

“Ah really am sorry Logan.” She said softly before walking out, closing the down behind her. She hadn’t gotten far in her walk to the rec room before the sound of Logan roaring and wood being cracked and broken echoed through the halls.





You must login () to review.