“Sleigh Bells ring, are you listening…In the lane snow is glistening…” Ororo bobbed her head to the tune she was singing as her hands busily laced lights beneath fur trimmed red satin. She carefully held the fabric in place with a long pin, running her hands over the material to make certain that there weren’t any tips poking through. She had decided at the last minute to dress up her holiday cloak, and thus far, she was delighted with the results. In fact, since she had awoken this morning everything had been moving along flawlessly.

She pooled the cloak alongside the large wingback that was to be the Story-Time chair. It was next on her “to-do” list. She gathered up the crushed red velvet blanket that Charles had always used on his bed during the holidays, and draped it over the chair. Somehow she knew he wouldn’t mind. For her, it was a little reminder of him during the celebrations that he held so dear.

Crouching down, she opened her sewing kit, debating on where and how to pin the fabric to the chair. She folded the material over itself like a flap to hide her stays and began singing once more.

“Well, someone sure is in the holiday spirit.”

Ororo glanced up from her task. “Hello, Jubilee,” she greeted the petit Asian girl with a smile around a mouthful of T-pins. “How are you?”

“Ehn.” Jubilee tossed herself back in one of the other chairs, blowing a large pink bubble. She took great pleasure in the resounding pop it made. “Same as always.”

“Don’t get any gum on the seats,” Ororo warned.

Jubilee dutifully sucked the candy back into her mouth. She watched Ororo fold and pin for a few minutes. “So, how long before we start all the hullabaloo?”

Ororo pulled a pin from between her lips and fashioned the last tuck to the side of the chair. She cocked her head, appraising the placement. Satisfied, she let the fabric drape back as it was. Assembling her kit back into order she answered, “The ’hullabaloo’ starts in an hour with the Christmas games, dinner at five-thirty, followed by story time at seven, songs by the fire at eight and then lights out at ten.”

“Cool.” Jubilee uncrossed her legs and righted herself. “Oh, by the way, the tree lights went out.”

“What? When?”

“Dunno.” Jubilee shrugged.

Ororo sighed. So much for her flawless day. “Okay, I’ll have a look at it. Would you do me a favor and return my sewing kit to the laundry room?”

“Sure.”

“Thanks.” Ororo passed off her things.

Jubilee smiled as Ororo left the room. “Anytime.”


***


The den was deserted save for the enormous fir tree and the scattering of presents beneath it‘s needled canopy. The lower half of the tree blazed with all its Christmas glory, lights twinkling. Ororo glowered at the offending upper portion of the tree that was currently unlit.

She rolled her shoulders, took a breath and let her eyes go white. One of her many under used talents was her ability to see energy patterns. Electrical currents were actually quite easy for her to follow, but she wasn’t limited to them. She could follow any form of energy, even the life force that drove a person. The tree lights wouldn’t be too much of a hassle, even with all their winding and twisting.

She placed her hand along the cord, following the glowing trail. Concentrating as she was on her task she wasn’t aware anyone else had entered the room, so she nearly jumped out of her skin when Logan asked, “What the heck ya doin’ to the tree, ‘Ro?”

She blinked rapidly, her vision shifting from energy seeking to normal. “What?”

Logan gave her a look. “The tree. Any reason your molestin’ it?”

Ororo glanced at where her hands were entwined in the cords. “The lights went out.”

“Yeah, no shit. That’s why I grabbed these.” He held up a small package of spare bulbs. “Just needs a replacement bulb or two.”

“Oh.” She stepped back. “I wasn’t aware you were fixing the problem.”

He shrugged. “Not much of a problem. Jubes popped a couple of the lights with her mini fireworks. She had a tizzy, but I told her it was easy enough to fix.”

Ororo frowned. If Jubilee had already had Logan taking care of the problem, then why send her? She shrugged, as randomly excitable as Jubilee was, it was hard to say what was running through the girl’s mind half the time. “Well, seeing as how you’ve got this under control, I’ll get out of your hair.” She was still uncertain as to what exactly had transpired between them the day before and Hank’s words from last evening were still ringing in her ears. Staying near Logan right now wasn’t advisable, yet she couldn’t seem to move away.

“Suit yourself.” He was already replacing the bulbs.

Ororo watched his bent form, admiring the way the denim clung to his muscular thighs and backside. She shook her head. Goddess above, she was a mess.

“What was that, ‘Ro?”

Had she spoken out loud? “Can you cook?” she blurted.

Logan glanced back over his shoulder. The look he sent her told her that he had caught her initial statement, but he let it go. “I do a mean barbeque.”

“Hmm. I don’t think barbeque turkey would go over all that well.” She tried a smile.

One broad shoulder lifted. “Ya never know.”

“True.”

“Why’d you ask?”

Think, think, think. “The meal needs to be started soon and with everything else that needs to be done, I could use an extra pair of hands.”

Logan finished replacing the lights. The tree flickered back to life. “I’ll give you a hand, but I’m not big on decoratin’ and bakin’.”

Ororo smirked. “That rules out most everything. You could give the boys a hand setting up for the games.”

“Games?”

“Yeah. We have a toboggan race, a snowman build off, ice skating, candy cane hunt…”

“Ok, ok.” He held up his hand. “You don’t do anything half-ass do ya?”

“No. I don’t.”

“Didn’t think so.”

Their eyes met. Silence stretched between the two of them.

Logan strode forward, stopping just in front of her. “Neither do I.”

Ororo watched his eyes change, their slate gray going darker, a fraction of a second before his mouth slanted over hers. He dragged her against his chest, his muscular arms circling her back, holding her as if she were somehow fragile. It made her feel oddly precious. Ororo had no idea how she was supposed to react, and all she could think to do was lend herself up to the moment and kiss him back.

His tongue slid along the seam of her lips, teasing her tongue into a heated foray. Ororo moaned softly, wrapping her arms around his neck--And just as suddenly as it had begun the kiss was over. Logan broke the contact abruptly.

“Logan?”

He glanced towards the door.

Ororo turned to see Artie staring at her like she’d grown two heads, eyes wide, mouth open. “Is this a bad time?”

She took a steadying breath. “No, Artie, of course not.”

The young mutant blinked at Logan, who simply shrugged. “Mistletoe,” he commented, answering the boy’s unspoken question.

“Oooh.” Artie nodded, as if that made all the sense in the world. “Mr. McCoy would like to see you.”

“Of course.” Ororo smoothed her hair.

“Uhm, not you, Ms. Munroe. Mr. Logan.”

“Oh.” She glanced at Logan, feeling flustered and uncertain.

“Beats me,” he shrugged, looking completely unruffled by the experience. “And it’s just Logan, kid.” He told the boy as he passed him.

Ororo watched him go, pressing her fingertips to her lips.

Artie coughed, shuffling his feet, getting her attention.

“Yes, Artie?”

“It’s nice seeing Mr. Logan here at Christmas. I really like him.” Ever since his rescue from Alkali Lake at Logan’s hands, Artie had maintained a certain amount of hero worship for him.

Ororo flushed. “Yes, he’s very nice,” she began carefully.

“So are you. He looks happy with you.” Artie continued. “I kinda figure, a man like him must not have had a whole lot of happiness in his life.” He stopped, flashed her a grin. “You gonna kiss him some more?”

Ororo placed the palm of her hand over her eyes. “Heaven help me.”

***


He had to stop kissing that woman.

Logan shook his head, berating himself for his rash behavior, yet finding it incredibly difficult to actually feel anything other than satisfied. She had kissed him back. He knew he was grinning, but couldn’t help it.

The brief contact between them in the woods could barely be called anything more than a peck, but what had just happened in the den was a full fledged, official kiss. A damn enjoyable one at that. He had been fighting the temptation to kiss her since the previous evening when she had asked him to hang an ornament on the tree, just like he was part of the family, part of the tradition.

She had no idea what that did to him.

However, as good as it felt, that didn’t mean he could keep doing it. Storm wasn’t just some frail, she was his friend and teammate. As much as he was loathe to admit it, he genuinely respected the woman, and didn’t want to risk ruining the fledgling bond that was forged between them in the aftermath of Xavier’s passing.

He would simply have to keep himself focused on the professional aspects of their relationship.

She tasted like peppermint candy canes and chocolate.

Yeah, way to focus, Bub.

Logan marched through the corridors towards Hank’s office, determined to forget about kissing Ororo and how sweet she tasted.

His attention was caught by Marie as she exited the elevator. “Hey, you,” she waved. “Where you headed?”

“Hey, kiddo. The big blue fur-ball beckons.”

Marie laughed, brushing a strand of white hair behind her ear. Her hair, a warm chestnut brown was forever changed by Magneto‘s invention. Despite early suggestions she dye the streak away, Marie had kept it. She said it was a fashion statement, Logan knew it was a reminder. She was far stronger than anyone ever gave her credit for.

She gestured back towards the elevator. “Yeah? Well, you won’t find him in his office. I think he’s in his room actually.”

Logan frowned. “Thanks.”

“No problem. Hey, you seen Storm? I‘m supposed to lend her a hand in the kitchen.”

Logan felt heat creep up along the back of his neck but chose to ignore it. “Den.”

“’Kay, thanks.” She gave his arm a friendly pat as she passed.

Logan made an about-face and headed towards the dorms. What in the hell did Blue boy want now, anyway?


***


“No.” His answer was firm and final.

“I wouldn’t ask if I thought my voice would hold out, but as you can see I am feeling a bit under the weather.” Hank coughed into his big furry hand. “Please, Logan. Think of the children.”

Logan cocked his head. “Are you seriously gonna use that line on me?”

Henry rubbed the bridge of his nose and heaved a sigh. “Look, this story is a tradition here. The children look forward to it every year. I can’t stand the idea of them being disappointed.”

Logan rolled his eyes and scratched the back of his head. “Get Petey to fill in. He’s kid-friendly.”

Henry coughed again, pounding his chest for emphasis. “He will be busy handing out gifts.”

“Then get someone else. I’m not doing it.”

“There really isn’t anyone else available. Do you think you were my first choice? But, seeing as how you‘re dead set against it, I suppose we can cancel the story… If that’s your final answer.”

Logan was already heading for the door. “That it? That’s all you wanted?”

“Yes.” Hank sighed. “Ororo will be heartbroken. She looks forward to the reading so much.”

Hand on doorknob Logan hesitated. Damn it, damn it, “Damn it.”

Under the cover of his hand Henry smiled. “So, is that a yes?”

Logan growled.

Henry beamed. “Perfect.”

***


“Soooo….Is Logan a good kisser?”

Ororo nearly dropped the steaming apple pie in her hands right onto the brick tiles. She swore softly, placing her index finger in her mouth to soothe the burn. “What? Why? What?”

Marie burst into laughter. “Wow, if you could see your face.”

Ororo grimaced, puckering her lips around her tender digit.

“Well?” Marie prompted.

“Marie, I am not dignifying that question with a response.”

“I bet he is. Y’know, before I fell all “head over” for Bobby, I used to have a wee bit of a crush on Logan.”

Ororo placed her pie on the cooling rack. “Marie--”

She continued as though Ororo hadn‘t spoken. “I used to wonder what his stubble would feel like, how his lips would taste. You know, all the girly things a person thinks about when they‘re fantasizing.”

His stubble felt wonderful and he tasted of the wilderness…but Marie didn‘t need to know that. “You should probably grab a few cans of cream of mushroom soup from the pantry.” Ororo decided the best course of action was to simply ignore the topic.

“Bobby is very gentle when he kisses me. Is Logan?”

“The green beans are already washed.”

“Something tells me he would be tender.”

“The casserole isn’t going to make itself.”

“Maybe a bit possessive, but definitely tender…”

Ororo shoved her hands into her hair. “Marie, honestly, I am not about to discuss how Logan kisses with you.”

“So, you have kissed him…”

Ororo turned. “What? Didn’t Artie-- never mind.” She waved her hands.

Marie perked up. “Wait, wait, wait. Did Artie see you and Logan in a compromising position?”

Ororo put on her best, practical face. “I merely assumed Artie may have mentioned that he caught me and Logan exchanging a kiss under the mistletoe in the den earlier. Nothing compromising about that.”

“Ah. Sounds reasonable.”

“Exactly.” Ororo resumed her baking.

Marie popped the top of the Campbell’s. “Except there isn’t any mistletoe in the den.”

Ororo groaned.

It was going to be a long day.





You must login () to review.