Logan grunted as he basically power walked down the hall with Ororo. He wasn’t used to someone else’s hustle and bustle.

Logan: Where’s the fire Storm? And, who the hell is Wanda?

Ororo: [Stops suddenly and slowly turns to look at him] First of all, am I in uniform? [holds up a hand to stop his unneeded answer] No. So, do *not* call me that. Second of all, Wanda and her brother are close friends, and near and dear to this fam…[she inhales and tries to clear her head and looks at him angrily.]

Logan: What?

Ororo: You really don’t know do you?

Logan: [raises his voice because he’s not getting a straight answer] No! I don’t that’s why I’m asking you.

Just then Warren is seen walking and going through paperwork ahead of them.

Ororo: Warren [said with a smile.] I have a quick question for you?

Warren: Sure.

Ororo: Who’s Wanda?

Warren: [Leans back, and looks at her like she’s lost her mind, but indulges her] Wanda and her twin Peitro are Magneto’s grown children. When the Professor and Mr. Lensherr taught here they were in the first class with You, Scott, Hank, Je…why? [looks wearily at Logan.] Everybody knows this.

Ororo: That’s it. Thank you, Warren. [Looks directly at Logan straight faced. He can’t meet her eyes because her point was proven about his lack of knowledge] By the way, I need a favor from you. I need you to take my morning classes and Logan’s afternoon Danger Room.

Warren: Um…ok?

Logan: Woman!

Ororo: You’re coming with me. Apparently you need a history lesson, and we have to find what the hell Eric was talking about.

Logan hears her tone and low level speech and frowns at it. He decides to let it go, again, and change the topic.

Logan: Oh, don’t forget to talk to Marie when you get the chance. She came back…today.

Ororo: [sighs tiredly] Alright. As soon as I get the chance, ok?

Logan opened his mouth but closed it silently. He could see the tired, overstressed and an emotionally wrecked woman was spread thin. Most people turned to vices when worn out liked this. So, he ignored the smell of Irish Coffee and anger coming off on her in waves. He walked with his hands behind his back and fell into sink behind her. The only thing he had to offer her were apologetic eyes that she couldn’t see.

They enter the Professor’s old private study. Ororo begins to pull down old scrapbooks, discs, and pictures from shelves and she motions Logan to help her go threw them.


~ Two days later~

Jimmy bent his knees and eyed the box on the backboard just like his mentor taught him. He bounces on his knees and mimics the motion of taking a free throw shot.

Bobby stands next to his protégée and shows him the proper stance of a foul shot even in a formal work suit.

Jimmy keeps his eye on the basket and dribbles twice.

Jimmy: So, Bobby, how’d your interview go?

Bobby: Focus! Eyes on the ball and where you want it to go. Besides, nothing to worry about. After all it was just Mr. McCoy, and some other guy. I’m not sure who he was, but he didn’t do anything, so whatever.

This information literally throws Jimmy off his game. He tried to play it off, but his curiosity get’s the better of him.

Jimmy: Was he another government guy? What’d he look like?

Bobby: I guess so. He was kinda sad and droopy, but really intense. Hank didn’t seem bothered by him much, but there were some awkward pauses during the interview. Why, do you remember a guy like that?

Jimmy: [comes out of his stance, tucks the ball under his arm, and seriously contemplates the question] I…I think so. It sorta sounds like Trask?

Bobby: Who?

Jimmy: Bob, no that’s not it, Bo…something Trask. A guy who works with the President.

Bobby’s eyes widen and he stumbles over to the edge of the court and sits down with his head in his knees.

Bobby: I can’t believe it. Why was he there in the interview?

Jimmy: I’m not sure. I saw him one time when I was at Worthington Labs. One day, Dr. Rao, Dr. McCoy, and Trask came in to see me. He just stood by while the doctors asked me questions. I had a lot of blood work done that day too. It was kinda weird. But I think that he may be Mr. McCoy’s boss.

Bobby: Yea, I got that impression too. But other than Creepy MF’er, um it went really well. Hank was pleased with my resume. It felt odd seeing that he offered me the job then told me I still had to come in for the interview. I’m not complaining though.

Jimmy: So, what is it you’ll be doing again?

Bobby: Research Assistant in the Depart of Mutant Affairs.

Jimmy: Wow! Sounds impressive. Marie is gonna love that. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

Bobby: [snorts and shakes his head sadly] I don’t think so. Man, I haven’t even talk to her since she came back. I mean, it’s so strange every time I’m in a room with her, I feel like I’m she’s a stranger. After she took the cure, I just don’t know her anymore.

Jimmy: If I was in a room with Marie, the last thing I would be doing is talking. Aw yeeah. [Holds out his hand for a manly handshake]

Bobby slaps him in the back of his head.

Bobby: Perv! [suddenly tips the basket from underneath his arm and dribbles towards the basket for a perfect lay-up] How about it, first one to ten wins, and loser does all the dishes, by hand.

Jimmy: Oh, you are so on.


~Washington D.C.~

Hank sits and clenches his teeth as Bolivar paces in front of him. Large hairy blue hands are seen gripping the handles of a chair that are out of view from Bolivar. Hank’s face is twisted in restrained fury. Hank looks down at paperwork on his desk, on top is Bobby’s Resume. Sticking out slightly underneath is a paper with the letterhead from the Department of Defense and a list of names that’s obscured, but a partial phrase can be seen that says: Omega/ Level Five Potential and Alpha: Wanted.

Hank: Have you lost your mind completely? That isn’t a rhetorical question, by the way. I want an answer.

Bolivar: Oh come now, Hank. I’m sure that’s not the question you really want to be asking me.

Hank: Why Drake and Lensherr?

Bolivar: The last thing any one needs is someone with Grey’s potential to go ballistic again. Best thing to do is to know where and when another potential…incident could take place. As for Magneto, well, let’s just say safety first. So, make sure that boy shows up here first thing Monday morning.

Hank: [stands up to his full height] This is not why I’m here, why this department is here.

Bolivar: You know what, Hank? You’re right. [points to him like a child] You are most absolutely right. Or so you think.

Hank: I put my own research and my own medical practice on hold because I thought I could help more people this way. All this talk of eradication of mutants, I knew that it was a fear of the unknown. My scientific knowledge of mutations was used for the benefit of men and mutant…and here I am working with the President on a daily basis and I find this. [holds up the papers]

Bolivar: [laughs to himself] Again, you hit the nail on the head. You sure were helpful. [He stands there at his full height and smirks at Hank.]

Silence.

Hank: [comes to a slow and painful realization] Is this some kind of hit list?

Bolivar looks around the room innocently.

Hank: No no no. There’s more to it than this, isn’t there.

Bolivar: Oops. Look at the time. I have a meeting. It’s been fun. I suppose I’ll be seeing *you* around.

Hank watches his leave with angry eyes. As soon as the door closes, he flips open his cell phone and speed dials the Mansion.

Hank: Hello? Who is this? Hello Artie. Ahuh, thanks wonderful. I’m glad your grades are up. Where’s Ororo? I need to speak with her *now*, it is imperative. I don’t care that’s she’s busy. Listen to me, young man, find her and put her on the phone [growls] NOW!
Hank did feel sorry for scaring the living daylights out of the child, but the paper he was staring at made him feel the same way.

Omega Potential/Level Four Alpha
WANTED
1. Robert Drake: Last Known Residence “ Xavier’s School for the Gifted, Westchester, New York/ Ability: psionic ability to manipulate thermal energy, potential to freeze any known substance. Considered armed and dangerous because ability has no limits.
2. Eric Lensherr: Last Known Residence “ Unknown. Ability: Can manipulate and shape any form of any metal. Can create magnetic force fields. Also has a natural resistance to telepathy. Can fly with low maneuverability. Can see magnetic and electrical patterns. Last seen de-powered.
3. Ororo Munroe: Last Known Residence”Xavier’s School for the Gifted, Westchester New York/ Ability ….
Hank skipped down already fearing what he was reading until a particular name caught his eye, and took his breath away.

7. Scott Summers: Last known Residence “ Boston…Considered Alive, hospitalized…

Just then Artie came back on the phone.

Artie: She’s on a conference call.

Hank: To who?

Artie: The Academy. But she told me to tell you that Emma told her to come up there cause it was really important.

Hank: I hate to do this to you, but tell her I am going to be meeting her there. I know what this is about. [Hangs up]

Artie: That was the funniest, scariest, weirdest game of telephone tag ever.


~Elsewhere~

Trask: [speaks into a walkie talkie] Yes, he did take the bait. Hook line and sinker.

Unknown Man: You sure about that.

Trask: I know for a fact that he called them. They are going to be wetting themselves in a few short minutes.

Unknown Man: I’m going to send a team out. Keep me inform. Charlie Bravo Out.


~Kitchen of Xavier’s~

Logan had a barrage of sandwiches going through an almost efficient assembly line of condiments, meats, and sauces. He could be heard growling from where the students who were served first, were eating.

He handed another student who was in his Danger Room class a sandwich. This was so not fair, he had just finished an overcrowded session and now had to feed these little boogers.

Logan: [mumbles] Where is that woman?

An amphibian tongue sweeps out the sandwich from his hand and he grab’s it with a lightning fast reflex and doesn’t let it go.

Logan: What did I tell you about that?

Artie: Sthwarry.

Logan: Who was that on the phone earlier?

Artie: Hank, he wanted to talk to Ms. Munroe. Sounded important. But he said that he’d meet her.

Logan: Where, is she?

Artie: [rolling his eyes] Boston, duh.

Logan: What’s in Boston?

Warren: [grabs himself a second sandwich and eats half in two bites] The other school. You know, Xavier’s other school. [He continued after seeing Logan’s questioning face.] Xavier opened up another school for mutants about ten years ago. It’s run by a former student of his.

Logan knew he was out of the loop, but damn. This was ridiculous.

He could smell cheap liquor and natural cigarettes when she walked in. Knowing full well that she didn’t smoke, and hoping that she wasn’t drinking (too), he stopped her just as she reached for a sandwich.

Logan: Just where do think you’re going Ju-Ju?

Jubilee: I’m gonna grab my lunch and go, why?

Logan: No. I told you yesterday that you were on restriction, cause you went out on a school night, and here you are again tryin’ to hide another late night at Harry’s. Who’s the older guy? Don’t lie, cause I can smell the lie, the man, the cheap cologne, cheap beer, and hand rolled stoogies.

Jubilee: Who said anything about lying? Yea, I was at Harry’s. It’s the best club in town. Mutant central. So?

Logan: [leans in and growls at her] I told you not to go again.

All the noise from everyone in the kitchen and dining room dies down a few decibels.

Jubilee: And I said, ‘So?’ It’s not like your gonna be here by the end of the week anyway. So, what are you going to do about it, stab me too? Hmm?

The entire room was suddenly silent.

Jubilee took this opportunity to get her sandwich and jacket and saunter out. When she picked up her cell phone Logan could swear he heard her speaking a lazy form of French.

Now more than ever, he was beginning to wish he had stayed and left. He stuck his hand in his pocket and could feel the cold gold of the foreign ring calling to him. This was worse than the dogtags.

Here he was surrounded by people and yet felt like he was standing alone again. A brief flash of an angry woman staring at graves being completely pelted in rain flashed in his memory. Being alone was something he had no right complaining about. He had made a promise to be here when it mattered. He looked at the empty mayonnaise jar. Yep, he’s still needed.


~Later that night
Academy of Tomorrow: Boston Massachusetts~

Ororo Munroe and Hank McCoy sit in a conference room at a rounded table obviously waiting for someone.

Ororo: You know I hate seeing you under these circumstances. But I’m not complaining to much. [She winks at him.]

Hank: Flattery will get you everywhere. Ms. Blue-is-my-favorite-color-but-i-still-wear-contact-lenses.

Ororo: Ha. Ha. That wasn’t what I was going to say.

Hank: You were going to thank me for being a buffer between you and Emma.

Ororo rolls her eyes and playfully swats at Hank.

The double door of the room open and an exasperated Emma Frost walks in.

Emma: Alright you two, let’s go.

Hank and Ororo find themselves following Emma down into the Academy’s version of the Institute’s Subbasement. Inside the medical bay, Emma pushes back a curtain to reveal a sleeping body.

Ororo stifles her cry of surprise in the back of her hand, and Hank’s face twitches.

Ororo: [Turns to Hank] How did they know?

Hank: When you ordered state-paid medical supplies, did you tell them who it was for, Em?

Emma: Of course I did, or else they wouldn’t give them to me.

Hank: Where did you find him?

Emma: I got a call from the Hudson’s. Apparently they got word of a crazy blind man crawling around in the woods, spouting the craziest story. When they found him he couldn’t speak currently, couldn’t walk. Mac said that he wasn’t, “put all together.”

Ororo: What is that suppose to mean?

Emma: [Looks down at Ororo as if her presence is a nuisance] You’ll have to ask him or Heather.

Emma pulled back the sheet to reveal deep pulsing wounds that should have been a medical emergency, but instead they thin shiny film over them. Hank leaned in to touch one and was surprised at its texture, strong but yielding. Familiar.

Ororo touched his arm and brings him out of his stupor.

Emma: He’s been healing incredibly fast, but it’s obvious that when he wakes up he’ll need some very heavy rehabilitation. [She looks up at the two starring down at the body. They look like she feels. Unshed emotion pours from them both.]

Ororo looks snidely at Emma brushing back a lock of, before she can finish thinking mean things Hank grabs her arm and points at the heart rate monitor.

Emma: Oh good god…Scott?!

Scott: [still asleep] Oh GOD, oh god! Help! Help ME! [begins to struggle violently]

Emma: Not again. [She leans in and holds him down almost like a mother. Just when he’s about to open his eyes, she rolls up her sleeves and converts her arms into flexible diamond and cover’s his eyes. There is a sharp hissing sound red smoke is seen coming out of the corner’s of his eyes.]

Hank: [Pulls Ororo slightly aside]Ororo, why don’t you stay here, and I could pull some string, and be at the mansion.

Ororo: That’s a great…[before she can answer her phone rings.] Hello? Logan, now’s not a good time. WHAT!

Hank: What is it?

Ororo: Logan just got a frantic call from Peter. [swallows hard] Illyana is gone. He came to see here with some snacks and movies, and she’s gone. No one knows anything.

Hank: I’ll go, you stay. When Scott’s awake, tell him, I’m here for him.

As Hank runs to his car he gets a call.

Hank: [looks at the ID and answers with an attitude] Now is not the time Trask.

Bolivar: Whatever it is it can wait. I just got a prime directive straight from my Boss. Sensitive files have been taken from government agents. They need to be retrieved.

Hank: This doesn’t concern me.

Bolivar: Yes it does. I suggest you and yours find a way to get them back… [Clicks his phone off]

Hank: [turns his phone over to speaker] Ororo, did you here that?

Ororo: Yes, I did. I’ll call the team to suit up. Hank, what is going on?

Hank: I wish I knew.





You must login () to review.