X4 Divided and Fallen
Chapter 4 : Unprepared


Hank tears down the interstate highway and takes the exist to head towards Westchester. His furry palms grip the steering wheel so hard it leaves comfort hand indentations in the leather.

Beast: Damn him. Damn him to hell. There’s more to it. I know it. [He rubs temples and calms down just a bit] Illyana, you fair fairy. I hope you can hold this out. Peter, [inhales] you too.

His tires could be heard tearing around the corner of a quiet suburb as he neared his former home.

~Inside the mansion in Xavier’s Study~

Logan sat crossed legged on the floor surrounded by old newspaper articles, old Polaroid pictures, photo albums, even old projections. All the material contained frozen memories of Xavier’s brood that he had first recruited and old friends. Magneto, no, Eric was standing in front of the gated driveway with two grumpy looking children being forced to pose with him who really didn’t seem to like him. Oddly enough, Logan thought, they almost look like him. There was an article in Newsweek about Charles and his early study of young mutant psychology. There was another article with Charles shaking the hand of a dubious looking man. Underneath the article said, “Dr. Stephen Strange Out of Seclusion for a Good Cause.” Logan sorted through more childhood pictures of a quiet statuesque but petite Ororo, a lanky Scott who shied away from the camera, a non-blue smart looking Hank in suits, and a Jean who was eager to learn and who smiled about that.

Logan: Twenty Years later, and nothing changed. [shakes his head ruefully] and searches for more current pictures. ‘

After going through student files Logan pulled the one labeled WANDA MAXIMOFF and PIOTR RASPUTIAN. After pulling out the young man’s he noticed something odd. The file behind his was one for his sister.

Logan: What the…She’s not a student here.

He grabbed the file and skimmed. Apparently Xavier had been considering actively recruiting Illyana. The pages of her file were filled with medical documents and doctor’s notes. None of it seemed interesting until the last prescription note held a slightly familiar name at the letterhead. Dr. Strange. A neurosurgeon? Even more perplexing was the prescription. Mandrake root, honey, and sage boiled and cooled to be applied on her collar bone and spine in a room with her facing east.

Logan: Poor girl, no wonder why she’s sick. She had a quack doc.

He looked through more of her file and found Xavier’s notes on her mutation. The big words were a turn of, but the repetitive one’s stuck to his mind.

Arcane.
Mystic.

Logan: What the hell?!

He looked opened up Wanda’s file and re-skimmed until he found the line he was looking for about her mutation. The notation read, “we believe her ability always her to control a her environment to a point where she can manipulate the near impossible. She flipped thirty quarters ten times, as a test, and all of them where heads. Each and every time.” He read more where Charles had lastly listed her ability as borderline arcane and if trained could master the impossible.

Logan: Damn, that ain’t nobody I wanna fight.

Logan turned the last page and saw a quickly scribbled line. It was her father, Magneto’s, writing. “Wanda has been releasing some kind of destructive energy from her hands. It’s essential that we take her to Stephen ASAP. The bolts have an unpredictable result when in contact with another object. Either they are random or magical. Stephen can tell.”

He went to the desk and flipped through Xavier’s rolodex to find the Doctor’s name and address. He found it and wasn’t the least bit surprised to find the man who prescribed holistic treatments living in Greenwich Village. He was about to call Ororo with the news of the man who he believed to be behind the missing women when the P.A system came on.

Storm: Attention all students and faculty, all trained and senior X-men to the War Room. suited and ready. I repeat…

Logan: Damn, why does she always have the worst timing?

~ War Room~

When the leather clad and somewhat bewildered X-men walked in the had a surprise waiting for them. Hank McCoy was standing there at the hologram de-briefer looking intently at the schematics of a building.

Beast: I’m sorry about the late notice. [He pauses as everyone gets situated and takes a deep breath as Colossus kept to himself in the back.] We have a situation.

He put several copies of the list that Trask had given him on the table for the X-men to read. Oddly enough, like all government memos with sensitive information certain lines were blacked out.

Iceman: What the heck is this!

Beast let the other’s read it to and held up a hand to stop the clatter of confusion and anger.

Rogue: What’s goin’ on here?

Beast: I have reason to believe that this list was stolen tonight. And I also think that this list is much much longer.

Shadowcat: How did they compile this list?

Beast: I pretty sure that most of it came from reports of active mutants, list of cured mutants and relatives, blood work. Any way that they could find a name and address.

Rogue: Oh my God.

Beast: Do not worry about it. The fact is that we need the whole list and we need to find out what it’s for. The three of you will follow my lead going in. Kitty, you get us past security. Once in the offices we split. Kitty, and Bobby you’re with me. Colossus you will follow Wolverine.

Rogue watched the other’s leave for the Blackbird and pulled Beast aside.

Rogue: What about me? I can go. I’m trained. Besides, I think I still have my powers.

Beast: Look Rogue, I know…wait what did you say?

Rogue: I haven’t had the chance to talk to anyone besides Logan about this. But I think I have my powers back. The cure didn’t work all the way.

Beast turned away and rubbed his temples again.

Beast: This is unexpected.

Rogue: That ain’t all though. I…I think I know how they got Bobby’s name.

Beast: How?

Rogue: [sits down next to Hank looking distraught] Because I gave it to them.

Beast: What do you mean? That’s why we have codenames. I knew that the outside of here Bobby is only known as Iceman.

Rogue: When I took the cure. See, um…they had asked me about…oh god this is embarrassing. [Hank puts a reassuring hand on her arm and told her that it was ok for her to go on] They had asked me about my sexual partners.

Hank nods in understanding.

Rogue: We hadn’t done anything then, but I knew the only thing stopping us was my powers. So when they asked me to list my partners, I gave them his name. I had to fill a bunch of paperwork about family and medical records too.

Hank: Wait wait. Why would they ask that? They possible can’t think that mutations are spread through sexual contact.

Rogue: Well whoever is behind this probably doesn’t know. I wouldn’t put it past them though.

Hank shook his head in disgust.

Rogue stands up and heads to the jet.

Rogue: The irony of all of this is really painful. Storm was right. We are being treated like a disease.

~Meanwhile on the BlackBird~

Logan begins to prep for take when the smell of anxious fear climbs in behind him. He turned around to see a pale and worried Colossus quietly take a seat behind Shadowcat.

Logan: Hey Pete, I want to talk to you outside for a second.

Colossus: Sure [said with no enthusiasm.]

Logan: [pats the younger man on his back] We are looking into Illyana’s disappearance. And we are working as hard as we can. [Colossus just puts his head down.]

Colossus: I should be looking for her too. I never felt so helpless in my life. When I went to her room, I looked and looked. It felt like sinking in quicksand.

Logan freezes for a minute, remembering that same godforsaken feeling when Jean had taken over the X-Jet at Alkali Lake.

Logan: Look kid, we have all been there. But I wanted you to know something. Storm had me look through some stuff and I think I found a big lead.

Colossus’s eyes widened.

Logan: That ain’t the only thing. I don’t think you sister was the only one taken by this nut job. Magneto’s daughter was taken as well. When this is all said and done. I am going to pay this guy a visit.

Colossus: When you go, I want to go with you.

Logan: Wouldn’t have it any other way, Big Guy.


~Undisclosed Location~

Unknown Man: Alright, here’s the deal. The X-men are going to come for the information and the four of you are going to be waiting. I want you to engage them in combat, but you need to maintain a balance. I want to see how this new team operates. With the brains of their operation gone and two members down, we no longer have the proper intel on them. Once we have the information we need, you will fall back. Is that understood team?

Three people he was talking to nod. The speaker turned to the last man in the corner. He looked as if he didn’t want to be there and was going to be sick.

Unknown Man: Look son, I know this must be difficult for you.

Unknown Man 2: Hmph. General, sir, you have no idea what’s difficult for me.

General/Unknown Man: Well then, this operation should not be a problem for you.

Unknown Man 2: [sighs heavily] Did you send it to him?

General: Yes I did. But that doesn’t mean he won’t come tonight.

Unknown man 2: I know I can’t look him in the eye tonight.

General: If he does what he usually does, then he won’t even be in this country. I highly doubt you’ll be facing the Wolverine and his infamous nose.

Unknown Man 2: You just better hope so. Without the telepaths around, he’s the only one who can see right through me. I’m not ready to face him yet. I can’t afford to face him. I’m not ready yet. Oh and General…

General: Yes.

Unknown Man 2: I’m not your son.


~Location of target files~

The jet was landed half a mile away in a clear field. Shadowcat activated the shields to keep it hidden from view.

Beast, being on point, lead the team while Wolverine brought up the rear.

Wolverine: This feels like a trap.

Beast: I know. But if this was a trap, we should have set it off by know.

Iceman: So, why are we here especially if they know we’re coming?

Rogue: It’s not like we can go back. It would be a wasted trip.

Iceman: Jesus, Rogue. Thanks for thanks for that. Maybe we can call you Captain Obvious from here on in.

Colossus: SHUT UP! Both of you. I don’t care if I have to knock you out and drag you there. We have to get through this.

Shadowcat looked at the usually reserved man with big eyes.

Beast: He’s right. Get focused and into formation.

The six X-men moved into the building slowly and quietly. Rogue and Shadowcat moved to the front first. Shadowcat let Rogue absorb enough of her power to be able to phase through the back door while she phased her way through the front door taking out the security in the process.

Iceman: This is a lot harder without Storm’s cover.

Wolverine: Oh no! We have to get through this without Mommy. Whatever shall we do?

Iceman: Damn. What is it with everyone today?

Beast came up from behind and grabbed them both by their collars.

Beast: [grunts angrily] Move! We’re switching groups. Wolverine, take Shadowcat’s door.

The group breaks into two where both girls are waiting for them. Wolverine Kitty and Colossus take the entrance while Beast and Bobby meet up with Rogue at the back door.

Beast heads signals for Rogue and Bobby to head around the corner. Each student gives the all clear sign before making it to the next corner. Bobby freezes the cameras that are pointing towards the stairs. Beast grabs his laptop straps it to his back and he climbs over the railing of the stairs somersaulting over the railing and hanging over the edge with one hand until he had the proper leverage to leap down to the next lower floor. He repeated the process making it down to the basement rather quickly without using a single flight of stairs.

Bobby grabbed Rogue’s gloved hand and jumped over the railing as well. The air around became thick with moisture and froze just as quickly. Nearly as soon as they leaped over the railing both of them were caught on a frozen pathway of ice that lend them spiraling down. Bobby held on to Rogue with one hand, and his free hand guided the downward slope of the ice slide so that it wouldn’t let the accelerate too quickly.

When all three hit the basement Beast silently pointed them down the hall that led to the servers.

When they finally arrived Beast held up a hand again to halt their progress. His feral nose had picked up the sent of two people who weren’t supposed to be there.

Beast: We are not alone.

~Meanwhile above them~

Wolverine let Shadowcat guide himself and Colossus through the walls to the offices which held the information they were looking for. When they got there, Shadowcat took out her laptop and began to hack away at the security programs.

Wolverine kept a look out and released his claws, and a steeled up Colossus kept guard.

Wolverine: Kit-Kat, how long?

Shadowcat: I could get through these encryption codes a lot faster with the security in the servers down.

Wolverine: [hits his communicator] Beast, Kat can’t do her thing without you doin’ yours first. What’s going on down there?

Beast: [speaking threw his communicator] I’m working as quick as possible. But I fear that- - - Wolverine! We under attack!

~Basement~

Beast, Bobby and Rogue watch the two fully armed black-clad masked figures stalk up to them. The man and the woman seem completely nonchalant.

Beast: We have to old them off until my virus takes effect.

Before Beast could finish his thought, he saw a flick of the wrist from the attacking man, and a glowing projectile was thrown at him. He vaulted out of the way. When he landed, the projectile had lodged into a wall. Beast looked back and took a double take when he noticed that it was a…playing card? Just has he lunged forward to attack the card exploded.

This shocked Bobby and Rogue into the offensive as well. They moved to surround the woman who hadn’t made a move to attack. She almost let them surround her. Keeping her eyes on both youngsters, she jumped into the air and seemed to float down. She drew back her fist and slammed it into the ground creating a crater knocking Rogue and Bobby off their feet.

Bobby: Beast, both of them are mutants?

Woman: Oh jeeze. Why do I even try? No one will ever get it right.

Man: Don’t worry, chere. One day someone will care enough to get your story right.

Bobby took the free moment to ice-up and lodge himself at the man in his hard form, knocking the breath out of him.

Woman: Dammit, Remy! Pay attention.

Remy: Watch your own back, Carol. [He speaking while artfully dodging ice projectiles and full blown blasts with back flips and rolls.]

Rogue: Looks like it’s just you and me…Carol.

Carol: It’s not fair that we hog up all the fun. [takes out a walkie talkie] Neena and Lucas, the rest are on the sixth floor. Get it done. I’m sorry little girl, what were you saying?

Rogue takes of the gloves and lowers her stance, remembering all the grappling moves Logan taught her.

Beast continues to furiously type away at his laptop, desperately trying to upload his virus. When the status bar finally finished he packed up and made the quick decision to help Bobby, seeing that he couldn’t keep up with his agile opponent.

It would be a decision that would haunt him for quite some time.

~Sixth Floor~

Wolverine slowly and quietly takes point around the corner following the new scents he was sniffing. He held up two fingers to Colossus indicating that they were on the defensive from two people.

Shadowcat finally had got through to the files and had set up to download them. She caught up with the two men and froze.

Just like downstairs, two masked people all clad in black, stood in the middle of the corridor. A petite woman with an automatic firearm that was more than half her size and a much larger man with a new age gun strapped to his back blocked the exit. Despite her size, it was the woman who walked forward nearly taunting the X-men.

Neena: Common X’ies, come out and play. Who knows, it may just be your lucky night.

Lucas: Neena, knock it off. We are just here for intel. Don’t do anything stupid.

Neena: [loads her gun casually] When I have not lost anything?

Lucas: Not the point.

Wolverine slowly sheathed and unsheathed his claws in a sign of anxiousness.

Shlap.

Sniiiiiikt.

Lucas stopped short. He recognized that sound. He’d heard it many many times over his life.

Lucas: Neena… [She stops and looks at him] Wolverine! I know your there. You must have gotten a little busy, or the mail runs late.

Wolverine: I don’t know who you are, but your about to swallow your next few words.

Neena mouthed to Lucas, “Are you ready?” He nods yes. She charges forward and nearly collides with Colossus but by what seems like sheer luck, she narrowly avoids him and his swinging fist at the last minute.

Her agility made her nearly intangible, but it still didn’t come close to actual intangibility. Or so Shadowcat thought. Despite her left hooks, right jabs, and spin kicks she couldn’t touch Neena.

Ironically Neena couldn’t was pretty much in the same situation, albeit for different reasons. Every punch, kick and attempted throw ended up with nothing in Neena’s hands. Both women where left in an odd stalemate.

Wolverine stalked around Lucas with Colossus moving around him to block of the exit or to move in position to use it if necessary.

Lucas: Don’t bother, either one of you. I know how this is going to end?

Wolverine: Oh really? What- - [inhales…and pauses] Wait a minute. Who are you?

Lucas: [sighs deeply.] That didn’t last long. I knew I shouldn’t have come. Hell, I don’t even know why you’re here. Shouldn’t you be trying to translate the ring? Oh and Colossus, you may want to go downstairs. Rogue will need some serious help in a few minutes.

Wolverine: What did you do to her?!

Lucas: Colossus, GO!

Colossus bolts down the stairs to the basement.

Wolverine braces on his back leg and points with his clawed handed.

Wolverine: Anything happens to her, I will personal skin all of you.

Lucas: If it’s any consolation, it was an accident, and she will be ok. In fact she’ll be stronger for it.

Wolverine didn’t want to hear any more, and lunged for him. The closer he got the stranger thing became. He found himself floating in midair, arms and claws outstretched towards his opponent, who moved with normal speed. Lucas grabbed on to his waist, braking him from his time capsule and threw him into the closed elevator door leaving a giant dent.

Wolverine was more disturbed by the way the man smelled more than what he just did with his ability. It’s been about four years since she smelled like that. Now all she smelled like was…

That was his last thought before he lost consciousness.

~Basement~

Colossus barged through the secure door sending it crashing to the other side of the room.

On the floor looking more than unconscious was an ungloved Rogue and next to her a blonde woman who was in the midst of having CPR done on her by Beast.

Colossus grabbed Rogue and headed for the jet.

Colossus: We have to get the machine for her.

Beast: Your right. Bobby, grab her, we need to movie now. Radio Kat and tell her to move her team too. Tell Angel to prep the lab, we have critical injuries coming in. Storm…Storm come in.

Storm: What is it?

Beast: We have some serious injuries coming back to the mansion. I know your still in Boston, but you might have to cut your visit short.

Storm: Actually I am coming back now. I can’t talk long, it’s illegal to talk and drive. Here, tell my passenger.

Beast: Hello?

Scott: Beast, tell me what happened. Tell me everything.
__________________





You must login () to review.