The early morning sunlight streamed into Bishop’s bedroom, waking the young woman on his bedroom floor. Kendall stretched slowly and sat up, rubbing her eyes. She looked at her friend’s prone form and smirked. He looked as if he’s only just fallen asleep again. Kendall shook her head and got up. She stretched her back again and wandered over to the window. Pulling back the curtains, Kendall stood in bathed in sunlight. She honestly hadn’t slept that well in quite some time. Kendall yawned again and smiled to herself.

She was so caught up in the morning’s brilliance, she hadn’t noticed when Bishop had begun stirring behind her. He wearily cracked open one eye in the bright light, closed it again, and after his groggy mind processed what he’d seen, Bishop opened both eyes very wide. Kendall was practically glowing in the light and Bishop’s breath caught in his throat.

“Good Morning.” Kendall said, glancing at him over her shoulder.

“Good Morning.” Bishop replied, sleepiness coated his voice.

Kendall sighed contentedly to herself and stretched her arms over her head, making her short nightgown ride a little higher over her thighs. Bishop tried not to stare, but was losing the battle. After what felt like a painfully long time, Kendall put her arms down and sat on Bishop’s bed.

“Isn’t it a lovely morning?” She asked, shaking his leg and smiling brightly.

“Most definitely.” Bishop replied, no longer thinking about sunlight.

Kendall looked back toward the window. “Thanks again for letting me stay.”

“No big deal, but don’t you think to should get going.” Bishop asked, not really wanting her to leave.

Kendall’s smile dropped a little. “Probably. I meant to leave before sunrise, but I overslept. Jubilee is most likely looking for me by now.”

“You sound like you don’t really care.”

Kendall crinkled her nose and shook her head. “Not really. I wouldn’t care if she burst in here right now and accused us of …” She glanced at Bishop’s bare chest. “…doing what she would have done.” She will as soon as she gets me alone anyway.”

Kendall got up, pushed Bishop aside and got in bed with him. “Beside all that, I’d rather stay right here. If that’s alright with you.”

Bishop’s mind suddenly went blank. He tried to answer, but couldn’t form a coherent sentence.

“That settles that, then.” Kendall snuggled underneath the blankets. “I can’t stand early mornings.”

Bishop’s mind was beginning to unfog and he was about to protest. Just as he opened his mouth, there was a sharp knock on the door.

Kendall grunted and put a hand on Bishop’s chest. “Stay still. Maybe they’ll just leave.”

“What if it’s your father? I really don’t want to die anytime soon.” Bishop whispered frantically. The knocking started again.

Kendall exhaled sharply. “If Pop thought I was in here, he wouldn’t have knocked at all.”

“Bish, are you in there?” Jubilee’s shrill voice came from the hallway.

“You better get that, she’ll wake the entire floor if nobody stops her.” Kendall said shortly. Bishop nodded in agreement and crossed the room. Kendall quickly rearranged the blankets as Bishop opened the door. Jubilee stood there, her hand frozen mid-knock.

“Have you seen Kendall? She disappeared last night and…and…” Her eyes landed on her best friend propped up on her other best friend’s pillows. Kendall flashed a half-smile and a wave. Jubilee’s cheeks turned a bright shade of pink.

“Geez, I’m sorry for interrupting. I’ll just be going now.” She backed away slowly.

“Jubes, get in here.” Kendall said calmly. “This isn’t what it looks like.”

Jubilee entered the room slowly and Bishop shut the door behind her. “Really?” she asked tentatively. “‘Cause it’s not a problem, I can go and…”

“Stop babbling, Jubilation, and sit down.” Kendall ordered in a voice like her mother’s. Jubilee obeyed without objection. “You were snoring too loud last night, so I came down here.” Jubilee shot a suspicious look at Bishop.

“Don’t look at me like that. She just showed up at my door, looking pathetic. What was I supposed to do?” Bishop quickly explained.

“I was not looking pathetic.” Kendall snapped.

“Whatever you say. I know what I saw.” Bishop waved a dismissive hand in her direction as he went into the bathroom.

Jubilee was quiet for a moment, then she suddenly whipped her head in Kendall’s direction. “Okay, what really happened?” She demanded.

Kendall shrugged. “I just told you. He let me in, I slept on the floor, and we just got up a little while ago.”

“If you slept on the floor, then why are you in his bed?” Jubilee persisted.

Kendall got up and went over to the window. “Seemed like a nice place to watch the sunrise.”

Jubilee shook her head. “You know, it’s okay if you don’t want to tell me right now…”

“I just fucking told you what happened.” Kendall yelled, but caught herself before flying into a rage. “Okay, I don’t care if you believe me or not.” She picked her blanket up off the floor and stormed toward the door. In her anger, Kendall nearly plowed into Bishop, emerging from the bathroom.

“Where are you going?” He asked hurriedly. Kendall growled something and left the room, slamming the door behind her.

Bishop looked over at Jubilee, confused. She shrugged and looked innocent.

“I didn’t do anything.” She said weakly.
************************************************************
“Computer, End simulation.” Logan’s voice rang out into the vast Danger Room. The masked assailants that His daughter had previously been tossing around the room vanished. Kendall threw an angry look towards the Control Room. Logan returned Kendall’s glare.

“You’ve gotten sloppy. School makin’ you soft, girl?” Kendall could hear the laughter in his voice and it helped to defuse her anger.

“Sorry, but there’s not much need for battle training on campus.” She found a towel that she’d dropped hours earlier and wiped her forehead. “Did you stop me for a reason?”

“Gotta talk to ya. It’s important. Come up here.” Kendall nodded and made her way up to the Control Room. The large, silver doors opened with her approach. Kendall entered the circular room. Her father was waiting with Charles and a young woman. Kendall eyed the girl warily and sat next to her.

“What’s going on?” Kendall asked, looking at Charles.

“There’s no easy way to say this, but I’ll start at the beginning.” Charles said slowly. “This is Laurie. She was recently liberated from a genetic engineering facility in North Carolina. A facility, it seems, that was being run by the same people who were in charge of the Weapon X Program.” Kendall stole a look at Logan. He said nothing and Charles continued.

“To make a long story short, Laurie here, seems to be the genetic twin of your father.”

Kendall’s eyes widened a little and she looked between Laurie and Logan. She did look almost exactly like her father except Laurie was younger and female. They also shared the look of a person who’d lived a hard life. Laurie seemed to be to be sizing Kendall up as well, openly staring at her hair.

“She’s never had much time around people, so she’s been living here ever since Chuck found her.” Logan stated flatly.

“What can you do?” Kendall asked the other girl. Laurie slowly lifted a fist and two blades emerged from between her knuckles.

Kendall grinned. “Only two?” Laurie kicked off her shoe and a third blade popped out from between her second and third toes. She smiled at the look on Kendall’s face.

“Her skeleton was also laced with Adamantium, but seemingly with a different technique than Logan’s” Charles added.

Kendall nodded. “Sorry.” She said quietly. Laurie nodded slightly, but still didn’t speak.

“It would be good if you two spent some time together, you’re close to the same age.” Charles said.

“So, Laurie.” Kendall began after a moment’s silence. “Guess this makes you part of the family then, huh?” Laurie smiled a little, but it faltered after a second.

“You’re taking this better than expected.” Charles said calmly.

“I’m not really sure how to take it.” Kendall replied, without thinking. “Does Mom know?”

“Sure she knows. Keeping her here was her idea.” Logan said matter-of-factly.

“Speaking of your mother,” Charles added. “Has she had a chance to speak with you today?” Kendall shook her head.

Logan grinned. “Yeah, you might wanna go have a talk with her, too.”

“Ok. Are we done here?” Kendall said.

“Yes, I believe so. We just make introductions before there was a repeat of the incident a few nights ago.” Charles said with a knowing smile.

Kendall got up and walked to the door. “Nice meeting you, Laurie.” Laurie didn’t reply. Just before the doors shut, Kendall glanced over her shoulder only to find Laurie’s cold eyes following her out.





You must login () to review.