Chapter 6

Kendall spent the rest of the morning in bed. Nobody saw her again until after 1 p.m. After showering and putting on some decent clothes, she wandered around the mansion looking for her mother. Eventually, Kendall found her way to the back porch where her mother was sitting on the porch swing, reading. Ororo looked up at her daughter and smiled.

“There you are. I was beginning to think that you weren’t coming down.” She joked.

Kendall nodded. “Part of me didn’t want to, but it’s a Saturday so why not.” She sat down next to her mother and looked at the book in her hands.

“Lord of the Flies, huh?” Kendall said. “Haven’t you read that already?”

“Yes, I happen to enjoy this book and I chose to read it again. Is that alright with you, ma’mn?” Ororo replied. Kendall laughed. She really loved her mother’s sense of humor. It was one of the many sides that Ororo didn’t show very often. Kendall always believed that was where her own strange sense of humor came from.

“So.” Ororo continued, closing her book “Do you still want me to braid your hair.” She asked.

Kendall nodded again. “Yeah, I’ll go get a comb.” She got up and jogged into the kitchen. Going over to one of the drawers, she probed around for a minute, and then removed a slender, black comb. Kendall put it into her back pocket and returned to the porch.

“Did you find it?” Ororo asked. Kendall removed the comb from her pocket and gave it to her mother. Ororo then spread her legs a little and Kendall folded her legs beneath her and sat down. Ororo began working the kinks out of her daughter’s hair.

“Well, what are we doing today?” She asked.

“Kendall thought for a second. “Whatever you want, but I only need them for today.” She replied.

“How about just a few braids, straight back.” Ororo suggested.

“That’s fine.” Kendall replied. Ororo worked with Kendall’s thick hair until it was loose enough to handle. Then she parted off a section and began to weave her daughter’s platinum locks together.

“Your hair always was worse to deal with than mine.” Ororo said after finishing the first braid. “Personally, I blame your father.”

“Don’t you always?” Kendall replied. It wasn’t like it wasn’t the truth. Logan had the wildest mop of hair that Kendall had ever known. He tried to keep it decent looking, but it grew so fast that it was fairly difficult to keep up with. Once he didn’t shave for a week and his beard was full, thick, and imposing. Most people didn’t even recognize him.

“Speaking of the old man” Kendall continued. “Where is he?”

Ororo shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. He’s around here somewhere.” She replied indifferently.

Kendall grinned. “You don’t even know where your own husband is?”

“Child, if you had to try to keep up with that father of yours for as long as I have, you would understand that sometimes, you just don’t give a damn.”

Kendall laughed loudly and tried to keep from moving around too much. Her parents had been together for over 22 years now, and Ororo had a point. With the old man’s wanderlust, it’s a miracle that he’s stayed in one place for so long. Ororo finished another braid and was parting off another when Kendall had a question.

“So’d how you and Pop find out about last night?”

“I told you, Remy told us.” Ororo replied.

“No, not that. I mean with me and Clint, down at the lake.”

“Well, your father and I had just finished making love and he said something about the light show going on near the lake. After assuring him that I had nothing to do with it, he got up to investigate.” Ororo replied.

Kendall made a weird face. Her parents were always straightforward with her. They didn’t try to sugarcoat too many things. In their line of work, it wouldn’t do much good anyhow. That part didn’t get to Kendall. It was just the thought of her parents having sex at all that left a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Kendall decided right then to keep her mouth shut.

After a while longer, Ororo completed the last braid.

“All done.” She announced. Kendall stood up and stretched. Then she kissed her mother and thanked her.

“Not a problem, child.” Ororo replied. “What now?”

Kendall stood for a minute before answering. “Guess I’ll go watch TV.”

Ororo nodded and reopened her book. “That’s fine, child.” Kendall turned to leave. When she’d just gotten to the door, her mother called her back. Kendall stuck her head out the door.

“If you see your father around, remind him that he needs to go into town for me today, alright.” Ororo stated.

“Okay, ma.” Kendall said and disappeared into the house.

************************************************************



Kendall wandered into the Rec. Room and found it surprisingly empty. She looked around and made her way toward to large selection of DVDs stashed in one of the cabinets. She went over the selection quickly. There were more titles that there was the last time Kendall came home, but nothing she was really interested in watching.

Then she opened a small panel and reached inside. Kendall felt around for a bit and smiled. Removing her hand, she produced her pride and joy, her collection of Monty Python movies. Yeah, they weren’t the best flicks in cinematic history. Often times pointless or even plotless, but they were still hilarious. She didn’t have the whole collection yet, but what she did have was good enough for the evening. Kendall closed the door of her hiding place and walked over to the couch. She spread her choice of entertainment out on the coffee table and tried to decide on which would be first.

“Let’s see now,” Kendall thought. “I don’t think I’m ready for “And now for Something Completely Different” or “Life of Brian”. I don’t want to ponder the Meaning of Life either.” She finally settled on “Monty Python and the Holy Grail”. Kendall put the disk in and stretched herself out on the couch.

When King Arthur and his Knights had arrived at the French castle, Logan entered the room. He looked at his daughter, lounging on the couch and she looked back at him. Logan turned his attention to the barrage of farm animals flying on the screen and shook his head.

“You do know that this movie will rot your mind.” He asked.

“Nee.” Kendall replied.

Logan shook his head again and started to leave, but came back.

“Have you seen your mother?”

“She was on the back porch, the last I saw her. She told me to remind you to go into town for her.” Kendall replied without lifting her eyes from the screen.

“Yeah, I know. She didn’t happen to tell you anything else interesting, did she?” He asked.

“Just that my wild hair is your fault.” She answered.

Logan snorted loudly. “And you urge for public nudity is all on her. I’ll be sure to remind her of that later.” He replied and left Kendall with her mind rotter.

About the time Tim the Enchanter was making his Rabbit speech, there was a loud knock on the front door. Kendall tried to ignore it, but it only continued.

“Will somebody please answer the door?” She yelled. When nobody answered and the knocks continued, Kendall got up and jogged to the door. “If I miss the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, somebody’s gonna pay for it.” She hollered while opening the door.

“It’s not like you can’t rewind the damn movie.” Lucas Bishop replied from the doorway, a huge grin on his face. Kendall laughed and threw her arms around Bishop’s neck. He dropped his bags and a moment later, Kendall felt his large arms around her waist. They stood in the doorway like that until Kendall realized that she was enjoying it a little too much.

“How’ve you been, man? It’s been ages.” She asked, pulling back.

“Pretty, good, pretty good.” He replied and picked up his bags. Kendall took a minute and got a good look her friend. Bishop was wearing a white t-shirt and some overalls. It looked like he’d seriously bulked up and his skin was darker than she remembered. His blue-black dreads were pulled back and hung mid-way down his back. She unconsciously started to bite her bottom lip.

“Are you gonna let me in, or ogle me all night.” Bishop quipped. Kendall shook her head as his voice brought her back to reality.

“Sorry.” She shyly answered. Kendall moved aside and let Bishop in. She admired the view of his muscular back through his shirt as he went past her. Kendall silently mouthed the words “Thank you, goddess” and closed the front door.





You must login () to review.