Chapter 8



Clint had spent most of his day in his room, enjoying the solitude. He wasn’t ready to face any of the other inhabitants of the institute just yet. He didn’t want to deal with the stares and hear the whispers behind his back, especially after last night. Clint was certain that the entire mansion had heard about his encounter with Kendall and he didn’t want to deal with the embarrassment. Instead, he chose the spent most of the weekend in his room and would make his public reappearance on Monday.

He laid across his bed and stared at the ceiling. For some odd reason, he couldn’t stop thinking about Kendall. Sure, she was gorgeous, but something else about her intrigued him. The way she acted in front of Charles, she respected him but wasn’t intimidated by him. Clint narrowed his eyebrows.

“It’s kind of hard to not be intimidated by the most powerful telepath the planet. He could be controlling you and you wouldn’t have a clue.” He said aloud to the empty room.

Clint was getting bored and was about to turn over for a nap when he heard noises coming from the room next door. He got up and stuck his head out of the door. He looked both ways and proceeded towards the open door next to his. Clint poked his head in the door and looked around. The room looked much like his own, except for the pair of legs hanging from one side of the bed. Figuring the man was resting, Clint turned to leave, but was stopped by a strong voice coming from behind him.

“Hey, do you need something?” The young man asked.

Clint turned nervously. “No, not really. I’m staying next door and heard some noise so I decided to investigate. I didn’t mean to interrupt anything.”

The man got up from the bed and walked towards the door. “You didn’t interrupt anything. I’ve only just gotten back up here. I’m Lucas Bishop, by the way. Most folks just call me Bishop.” He extended a hand to Clint.

Clint took the hint and shook Bishop’s hand strongly. “Clinton Barton Jr. Most people call me Clint.”

Bishop released Clint’s hand and moved aside in the doorway. “Well, Clint. You’re welcome to come in.” Bishop sat on the bed and started removing an old pair of tennis shoes.

Clint ducked and came into the room, choosing to stand across from Lucas, watching quietly as he pulled off the shoes.

Bishop looked up. “You’re a big one aren’t you? Have you been here long?”

Clint shook his head. “Nope, I just moved in yesterday.”

Bishop nodded. “New kid, eh. I’m telling you now, for the most part, this is the safest place in the world for people like us. It takes lots of work to keep things that way, but damn if it’s not worth it.” He chuckled a bit at the end of his sentence and collapsed across the bed again.

Clint leaned against the wall as best he could. “You look pretty tired. Been working out or something?”

Bishop tossed an arm over his eyes. “I went for a run with a friend of mine and I made the mistake of challenging her to a race around the property line.”

Clint tried to stifle a laugh. “She got you good, eh?”

“Damn her. She didn’t even break a sweat” Bishop moaned.

“It must be a great day for all womankind.” Clint replied.

“What makes you say that?” Bishop inquired. Clinton took a deep breath and recounted the events of the previous evening. By the time he finished, Bishop was sitting up and fighting back his laughter.

“That sounds like a Kendall move to me.” Bishop said as calmly as he could. “But just for future reference, you really shouldn’t sneak up on her when it’s naked time.”

Clint’s eyes widened in protest. “I wasn’t like I was out there looking for a naked chick to just drop out of the fucking sky…”

Bishop held up his hands. “Okay, okay. Calm down, I believe you man, but if Kendall was as mad as you say she was, she’ll hate you for years.”

“Why?” Clinton exclaimed. “I don’t even know the girl.”

“Exactly. She hasn’t had the chance to form much of a positive opinion of you, yet.” Bishop explained. “Hell, when I first met her, after her mother’s history class, I made the mistake of making a joke about Canadians…” Bishop grinned and shook his head wistfully.

“And” Clint urged him to continue.

“And, she walks up to me and just socks me, dead in the eye. Dropped me like a hot plate. She didn’t speak to me for almost a year.” Bishop finished.

“What, she got a little wet spot for Canadians?” Clint joked innocently.

Bishop narrowed his eyes a little. “Her old man’s Canadian.” He stated flatly.

“Oh.” Clint murmured.

Bishop pursed his lips and got up. “Kendall will come around sooner or later, just give her a while to make up her mind.”

“Oh, yeah.” Clint smirked.

“Yeah.” Bishop nodded and walked over to the window, looking out at the puffy clouds floating past.

“Well, she didn’t try to kill you.” Clint concluded.

“If you’d have felt that punch, you’d think otherwise.” Bishop offered over his shoulder.

The room was quiet for a moment. Both men lost in thought. One recounting memories, the other worrying over the future. Finally, Clint spoke again.

“How did you make her stop hating you?” He asked tentatively.

Bishop shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. I mostly tried to stay out of her way, outside of classes. Then one day, she challenged me in our self-defense class.”

“Let me guess…” Clint interrupted. “You fought her. You won and earned her respect, Right?”

“No. She gave me a proper beating in front of her father. After that I guess she’d avenged him or something because she tended to some of my bruises afterwards. We’ve been close ever since.” Bishop answered, without turning to face Clint.

Clint was dumbstruck. For the second time in twenty-four hours he found himself speechless. After a moment, he regained his composure.

“Wait a minute. You’re a pretty big guy, compared to her. You’re telling me that she beat you up.”

“Yeah.” Bishop replied quietly. “It took me a while before I could ever beat her without using my powers.”

“You’re kidding.” Clint replied.

Bishop turned from the window and sat back down on the bed. “No, man. I’m shocked that I’ve ever beaten her. Don’t you know who her father is?”

“I’ve seen him. He’s a short guy, so what?” Clint acknowledged.

“That’s Wolverine, that’s what. Haven’t you ever heard of him?” Bishop stated.

Clint’s eyes widened. Of course he’d heard of the legendary Wolverine, but only in stories from the Avengers. He’d never seen him in person.

“Well, that explains the attitude.” Clint replied after a moment.

“Which reminds me, I had better go check on my truck if I’m driving into the city tonight. You can come if you want.” Bishop got up and started toward the door.

Clint got up and followed Bishop. “Why do you need to check on it?”

“I left it here while I was gone. I’ve only gotten back in town this afternoon. Another friend of ours is flying in this evening and Kendall’s making me drive her to the airport.” Bishop replied while going down the staircase.

“We can’t upset Little Miss Kendall, now can we?” Clint replied shortly.

Bishop grinned. “She’s not as stuck up as she seems. Kenny’s actually really sweet, once you get to know her.” They reached the end of the staircase and walked down a long hallway. There were a few students in the hall and they whispered to each other as Clint and Bishop walked past. Right before the pair reached the kitchen, Clint faintly heard a piano being played. He silently decided to find out who was making such soothing music as soon as he returned inside the house.
************************************************************


“My dear Ms. Logan, I presume.” Hank McCoy called to Kendall upon entering the study. Kendall lifted her eyes from the piano just in time to see her fuzzy, blue uncle wandering towards her. He put his book down on the lid of the baby grand and eyed his niece carefully.

“A little rusty, but still the finest performance of Liszt’s Second Hungarian Rhapsody** I’ve heard in some time.” He beamed.

Kendall smiled to herself. “I know it’s been a while, but I’ve been at school you know. The dorms aren’t exactly the best place the tickle the ivories.” She pressed a few keys for emphasis.

“Speaking of school…” Hank began. “Have you chosen a major yet? Because if you haven’t, I believe the Earth Sciences would be excellent for you. Your mother had no trouble in earning her Masters in Botany and…”

Kendall held up a hand to stop her uncle before he got a second breath. “Uncle Hank, thanks just the same, but I don’t think I have the patience for any science of any kind.”

Hank furrowed his eyebrows. “I suppose not. I never could get you to focus in class, as I recall. Well, then what did you have in mind?”

“I don’t know. There isn’t really anything I’m passionate about, except music of course. What would I do with a major in Music, aside from teaching?” Kendall asked, sensing her uncle’s next statement.

Hank grinned. “I’m sure you can find something useful. You can be very resourceful when you want to be.”

“What do you mean?” Kendall asked.

“Well, I remember a little girl who once managed to smuggle herself aboard the Blackbird, just to avoid her first piano recital, at the ripe, old age of eight and a half.” Hank replied, poking Kendall in the side.

Kendall paused a second, then remembered suddenly. “You know I was terrified of playing in front of other people. I was so nervous and Pop was going on a mission…he would have missed it if I hadn’t tagged along with him.”

Hank’s smile widened a little. “But you were ready, my dear. That’s why I set up a recital for you. Once we’d found you and your mother recovered from the stress, you preformed beautifully.”

Kendall aimlessly toyed with a few keys, pouting. “I haven’t forgiven you for that yet.”

“You sure showed me then.” He responded, with mock indignation “Showing up for every lesson, constantly getting better and learning pieces so well and so fast I could barely keep up with you. Then the final act of defiance, going to that competition two years ago and showing up every other pianist there. Well, I just may never speak to you again.”

Kendall laughed at Hank’s false resentment. “What did you expect. I had the best, classiest, and the bluest teacher there. I had to make him proud.”

Hank was touched by his niece’s sentiment. “You most certainly did, young lady. Too bad Jubilation didn’t take to the keys as easily.”

Kendall frowned “It’s not really her style.”

“That’s exactly what she said.” Hank replied. “Has she gotten back yet?”

“Nope. Bishop and I are going to pick her up in a few hours.” Kendall retorted. “But enough about me, I hear someone’s getting married.”

Hank’s cheeks, barely visible through his thick fur, got a little pink. “Yes, that’s definitely what it looks like.”

“What, don’t I get any details?” Kendall prodded.

“We haven’t set a date yet, but Cecelia wants a spring wedding.” Hank stated.

“That sounds nice. Have you picked your colors yet?” Kendall inquired quickly.

“No, in fact we haven’t really done much planning. I’m still getting used to the fact Cecelia agreed to be my wife.” He answered shyly.

“Why wouldn’t she? You’ve been crazy about her for as long as I can remember.” Kendall replied.

“Yes, but she’s so much younger than I am…” Hank began.

“Only seven years. That’s nothing compared to the possible age difference between my folks.” Kendall said triumphantly.

Hank looked over at his niece. Her eyes were bright with excitement. “You look so much like your mother at times, it’s unreal.” He stated.

“So I’ve been told.” Kendall replied flatly. She found a chord she liked and played it softly.

“Well, I guess I should be going.” Hank said while picking up his book. “Cecelia and I have a bit more research to do before dinner.”

“Research, eh?” Kendall teased. “At this time of day. Really, you two should be more careful. Children do live here you know.”

Hank narrowed his eyes. “Such language is very unbecoming of a young lady, you know.” He tossed over his shoulder while walking to the door.

“Yeah, I know, but somebody’s got to do it.” She called after her uncle as he left her study.







**Liszt is quite the composer. The tune I mentioned earlier was featured in a Tom and Jerry cartoon called The Cat Concerto and a Bugs Bunny cartoon I can’t remember the name of. I love the piece, especially when preformed on a piano.





You must login () to review.