Chap 4: Still Friends?


Feeling the stress in her shoulders, Storm put down her novel and looked at her watch. Four hours had passed since she helped Beast and Forge load Logan and Gambit on the gurneys, both out cold, thanks to the blizzard.

Standing, Ororo stretched her arms high above her head, trying to release the tension in her body. Looking toward the other end of the room, she saw that Rogue had pushed another bed next to Gambit’s so that she could lay next to him, using a pillow to prevent any skin to skin contact. Wanting to check on her friends, Ororo walked down toward the sleeping pair, picking up a blanket on the way. Covering them, Ororo leaned over and kissed Gambit’s cheek.

After watching them for a few seconds, Storm returned to her place beside Wolverine. Taking his hand, she sat in the chair and closed her eyes, hoping that the men would wake soon so she could curse them out.

Groaning, Logan slowly opened his eyes. The smell of disinfectant was overwhelming as his eyes focused on the ceiling of the infirmary. Feeling something in his hand, he looked to his side and saw a sleeping Ororo in the chair next to his bed. Smiling at the sight, he hoped that she had forgiven him. The desire to watch Ororo sleep was over shadowed by his body’s need for more rest. Logan closed his eyes, hoping that the first face he sees when he wakes up is that of the beautiful Goddess holding his hand.

Ororo smiled as her faceless beau gently kissed her cheek as they walked toward the lake’s shore. They enjoyed the light breeze off the lake. While he spread the blanket on the grass, she began removing items from the picnic basket. Settling on the blanket, the loving couple fed each other grapes and other fruit from the bowl between them.

Leaning back on the blanket, her beau pulled her on top of him, cradling her face in his hands, drawing her into a kiss. Ororo leaned down and their lips met. Suddenly, she heard a loud boom and looked over her shoulder. She was no longer at the lake side in the arms of her beau.

She now stood watching as military helicopters, tanks, and troopers headed in her direction, firing their guns. Aware of her teammates beside her, Ororo instinctively took to the sky, calling up hurricane force winds to repel the military onslaught. The winds blew the helicopters off course and tossed the troopers around like they were feathers floating in the air.

“Fall back,” Cyclops yelled, as the tanks withstood Storm’s attack. Bringing up the rear, Storm threw lightning bolts at the tanks to slow them down, giving the team time to make a hasty retreat. As she turned to catch up with them, she was hit hard, breaking her concentration.

Aware of her body falling to the ground, Ororo tried to call upon the winds to catch her. None came. Landing solidly, she groaned as the pain shot through her body. Looking up, she was shocked to see her beau standing above her with a gun pointed at her. She tried to summon a wind to repel the threat but to no avail.

“My powers,” she said, looking at her hands then at him.

“Useless. Don’t worry, this won’t hurt a bit,” he said, pulling the trigger.

Ororo sat up in the chair, a scream stuck in her throat. Looking around, her eyes adjusted to the dark room. Realizing where she was, Ororo sat back in the chair with a deep sigh. It was only a dream, she thought, glancing at Wolverine to make sure she had not disturbed him. Satisfied that she hadn’t, she relaxed back into the chair, knowing that sleep would not come again tonight.

**************

Setting her novel aside, Ororo looked at her watch. Eight in the morning, it read. Debating on whether or not to leave his side, Ororo looked up as Rogue came near.

“ ‘Mornin, Storm. I’m fixin to grab some breakfast. Wanna come?” she asked.

“That’s sounds wonderful. It would be nice to see the sun,” she replied getting up and stretching, a yawn escaping her lips.

“Sleep well?” Rogue asked as Storm fell into step beside her, headed to the elevators.

“Not really. Nightmares,” Storm replied, getting a nod from Rogue.

“ ‘nough said.”

The women fell silent as the elevator ascended, carrying them to upper levels of the mansion. As they stepped off, a thoughtful silence covered them like a cloak. If they had shared their thoughts with the other, both their answers would be the same “ I hope he is awake when I return.

Logan groaned as he slowly opened his eyes. As his eyes focused, he realized that Ororo was not at his side. Hoping that she was somewhere close, Logan looked around the empty room. Mad that she wasn’t, Logan’s thoughts turned to the reason why he was in the infirmary. Memories of his fight with Gambit flooded his mind, triggering a growl. Wait til I get my hands on that Swamp Rat, he thought, struggling against the wires connecting him to the heart monitor near his bed. Just as he was about to slash at them with his claws, the women returned, carrying smoking cups of coffee.

“Well, well, well, looks who’s rejoined the living,” Rogue said, coldly standing next to Storm at the foot of Wolverine’s bed. Not waiting for a response, she continued.

“I hope you’re happy. You almost killed him. What in the hell were you thinking, beating on him like that?” Rogue said angrily, happy to finally be able to say what she wanted to say to Logan since she had laid eyes on Gambit after the fight.

“Cajun’s a big boy, Rogue. He can take care of himself.” Wolverine replied, retracting his claws and struggling to sit up, grimacing as he did.

“Next time we sparin’ I want ya to try that shit with me, ya hear. I bet ya won’t have to worry about an infirmary,” she challenged, her rage boiling over.

“Didn’t know da Cajun needed a woman to fight his battles,” Wolverine said, smiling evilly, “I guess I fought the wrong one.”

“Fuckin’ animal,” Rogue said, throwing her coffee on him.

Growling, Logan lounged at her. Storm stopped him midair with her strong wind, forcing him back onto the bed.

“Rogue, please, go back to Gambit,” Ororo said, trying to get her to leave, while keeping Logan at bay.

“Please, mah ass, Storm. How can ya keep defending him like you doin’? Especially since he almost filleted your best friend?”

“Marie, I know you’re angry, but now is not the best time to express it,” Ororo told her, touching her arm.

“Get your fuckin’ hands off me,” Rogue yelled, snatching her arm away from Ororo’s grasp, her coffee mug flying through the air, landing with a crash.

“Rogue, you are my friend and I will excuse your slip of the tongue,” Ororo replied, her eyes flashing angrily, “I advise you to return to Gambit’s side where you are needed since this is neither the time nor place for this conversation.”

“Ah thought Gambit was your best friend,” Rogue said angrily, her hands on fists at her sides, “But Ah see that ya care more about that fuckin’ animal, who doesn’t give a fuck about ya, than ya do a man who risked his life to hurt the person who hurt ya.”

Logan stopped resisting and leaned against the head of the bed. So that’s why da Cajun attacked me. I can respect that, he thought, knowing the he would have done the same for his friend.

“I never asked him to do what he did, Rogue,” Storm began, as the air around her started to thicken. Her body crackled with electricity, ready to strike.

“Non, ya didn’t,” Gambit said weakly as he walked toward the women.

“Gambit,” the women said at the same time. Rogue turned and rushed over to him, catching him before he slid to the floor, “What ya doin’? Ya not suppose to be out of bed.”

“Gambit thought he heard de angels sanging but when ah got up to investigate, it be mah favorite women yelling at each other.”

“That’s how people express themselves when someone they love is hurt,” Storm replied, her anger under control.

“Yeah, what Ororo said,” Rogue replied, looking over at her, an apology in her eyes. Nodding, Ororo accepted her silent apology.

Nodding, a smile on her face, Rogue turned her attention back to her man. “Either way, ya shouldn’t be out of bed,” Rogue scowled playfully, gathering him in her arms and walking back to his bed.

“Maybe Gambit really be in heaven with this treatment,” he said snuggling closer, “Ah could get used to it.” They both laughed and talked as they made their way back to his bed.

Ororo smiled as she watched the couple, forgiving her friend and appreciating her love for Gambit who loved her just as much. When will I experience such happiness, she thought sadly, forcing the smile to stay as she turned and went to help Logan get comfortable.





You must login () to review.