One week later, Ororo Monroe, found herself on the phone with one Betsy Braddock, whose codename was Psylocke. She’d trained at the institute with Jean, Scott, and Emma as well when she was younger. She now resided in England where she did work for the British government.

“I had no one else to talk to about this because…” Storm stopped herself realizing the road she was going down.

“Because Jean is dead. I know. I wish I’d been there.” Betsy said from the other end, sadness evident in her voice.

“But on a lighter note, I don’t know about marriage. It’s been three months. Just three.” Ororo sighed as she cradled the phone.

“Sometimes, Storm. That’s all you need.” Betsy was actually excited by this. “If he’s sure, then you should take the plunge.”

Ororo sighed again. “But I’m not sure! If I say yes to Forge, where does that leave the school? I’d have to juggle being an X-man, running the school and being a wife.” She paused something dawning on her. “For God’s sake, we haven’t even discussed how many children we might want.”

“Wow. Maybe this is moving fast.” Betsy frowned on the other end. “I tell you what, I’m coming home.”

“What, no! You can’t! I mean, can you?”

“Your damn straight I can. My friend needs me, and I want to meet this Forge fellow before you go taking the dive.” Ororo could tell she was planning something on the other end.

“By the by, is that Logan chap still living there?”

“Betsy, you can’t be serious!” Ororo exclaimed just as the door to her office parted and Logan stepped inside, his usual scowl in place already.

“What?” She asked innocently. “I’m just surprised you two haven’t shagged by now anyway.”

Storm’s cerulean eyes widened as they made contact with Logan’s hazel. “We don’t have much in common which is why it would never work. You email me with details and I’ll make sure to have a room set up.”

“See’ ya in a few days, sweetie. Give Logan a kiss for me.” Betsy hung up then and Ororo smiled up at Logan hoping he hadn’t heard that but figured that he had anyway.

“What’s up Logan?” She smiled sweetly hoping he would avoid the subject of Betsy Braddock and kissing.

“I’m taking off,” he stated simply.

“Oh!” A look of disappointment was replaced by another smiled. “Of course. Silly me, why would I expect the Wolverine to stay here to long.”

He grunted. “I didn’t say I wasn’t coming back, ‘Ro.” He sat on the desk and watched her. Remembering that first time he’d seen her. That white hair pinned back and refusing to obey its keeper as wind and ice flew around them.

Absently, he tucked a piece behind her hair and watched as her breath hitched. “Logan, what are you doing?”

“Stray hair, ‘Ro.” He answered as if it were the most natural thing in the world for him to touch her.
She smacked his hand away. “Will you be back soon or should I find someone to take over your spot permanently?”

He smiled down at her and sniffed. She was pissed. “I told ya, darlin. I’ll be back. I wouldn’t leave you with Emma to long anyway.”

Ororo stood and came to her full height, still making her shorter than him by a few inches. “I’ll take your word for it, Logan. Do me a favor though and tell Marie. I can’t handle her being stressed out because her friend decided to leave again.”

Logan stood then too. If he weren’t the Wolverine, the most feared mutant on the planet, he might have been intimidated by Storm. He only grunted. “She knows and she has problems of her own.”

“She and Kitty still fighting over Bobby?” She relaxed as she came from around her desk and the two of them headed for the door.

“Yeah. Something they need to work out, I guess.” Logan turned back to Storm before opening the door. “I’ll be back, Storm.” He leaned in as if to kiss her but stopped himself. He didn’t know where that impulse had come from but he noticed that she hadn’t moved away.

“I know,” she whispered wondering why she wasn’t electrocuting his ass for leaving her alone because Emma wasn’t of much help, and Hank stayed in Washington a majority of the time.

Time seemed to stand still, neither willing to move away from the other until the illusion was shattered by the ringing of the phone.

“You should get that,” Logan breathe.

“I should get that,” Storm stated her cerulean eyes begging to ask what was going on. It rang a few more times before the answering machine came on and Forge’s voice filled the room. Ororo backed away then and left Logan standing. He watched her under hooded eyes and shook his head. She picked up the phone and instantly whatever Forge had said, made her laugh.

Forget it, bub! That’s someone else’s girl, Logan thought and he left. Canada was calling to him.
Ororo watched from her window as Logan sped down the gravel drive on Scott’s bike. She breathe a sigh of relief and continued to listen to Forge as he talked to her. She didn’t know what had come over her in those few moments. Maybe it had been Betsy putting ideas into her head. Maybe it was her need to get cold feet before committing to anything with Forge. Whatever in the hell it had been scared the living day lights out of her.

~

Marie sat on Bobby Drake’s bed in the room he shared with Peter and waited. He’d gone out with some of the other kids to see a movie which she had opted out of because Kitty was going. She tried to tell herself that Bobby would never kiss someone the way he kissed her, and mean it. She wanted desperately to cling to that notion because it made sense when nothing else did. Bobby’s lips on another girl did not make sense to her. He loved her and all she had to do was finally put her heart out there and see what happened.

He entered laughing, followed by Peter and Kitty. She stood and smiled. “Hey.”

“Hey.” He returned the smile then turned back to Kitty and Peter expectantly. Kitty looked as if she didn’t want to budge but Peter ushered her out of the room.

“I missed you tonight.” She ran her hand nervously through her hair.

“Missed you too,” he smiled sliding closer and gently pressing kiss to her forehead. She reveled in his touch, it was still so new to her not to hurt him. He pulled his arms around her and held her close.

“How was the movie?” She asked trying to figure out a way to bring up Kitty without turning this into a huge fight.

“It went. I wished you’d came.” Bobby paused. “Why didn’t you?”

“Homework.” Lie.

“Was it hard?”

“Calculus.” Another lie.

“Well I’m glad your finished. How about we do something?” He started to pull her towards the door.
“Bobby, stop! We need to talk.” She looked to meet his eyes and finally he understood why she was waiting in his room.

“Nothing good ever came of those words.” He joked because he felt that if he didn’t, his heart might stop.

“I want to know why you kissed, Kitty!” Marie blurted out the words before she could stop herself.





You must login () to review.