Two days later, Logan stood outside in the pouring rain at Jean’s grave, his head hung low. The intense pain of losing her was overwhelming him. He could still see that smile in his mind’s eye. And the Phoenix’s taunting stagnant words remained also.

He shook them away and exhaled noisily. “I fucked up real bad, Jeannie.”

He suddenly wished the red headed woman was there to give him advice. He wiped the rain out of his eyes. He knew that was something that he and Storm had both drawn from her; the woman could make you feel at ease with just a look. He’d felt at ease with her the moment he’d awoken in the lower levels of the mansion.

He had wanted Jean because of that comfort that she had brought to him in those first few fleeting seconds.

“Real bad. And I don’t think I can fix it this time.” He walked away then deciding he might as well drown his sorrows in a beer or two.

X


Logan walked in on Storm and Psylocke in a heated debate over simple white, or cream colored bridesmaid dresses. He’d learned from Rogue that Ororo was thinking about marrying Forge. He’d only grunted at that, thinking back to the night they’d spent together and the way she’d looked beneath him. Wild and lustful. The thoughts made him hard but he shook them away.

Actually, he’d been hard at the thought of her a lot lately. He knew it was wrong to think of her that way because she obviously didn’t want to ever be that close with him again.

They looked up when he came in, and he and Ororo made eye contact.

“Hey,” Betsy said, noticing the look that passed between them. Suddenly, she felt like the third wheel and instantly decided she needed to be somewhere else.

“Hey,” he grunted back reaching into the back of the refriderator for beer, finding two and pulling them out.

“I…um, need to go check on Hank.” Betsy hastily excused herself and left Ororo alone with the feral mutant who had cracked open both beers and was leaning lazily against the counter. He watched her go and smirked.

She knew.

That thought made him grin.

“What are you grinning at?” Storm asked closing the magazines that she and Betsy had been looking over and gathering them to her.

“She knows ‘bout what we did. I can tell.” He turned his gaze to her.

“I doubt it,” Ororo dismissed his words.

“So your gonna tie the not with the Maker, huh?” he asked before sipping the beer.

“I’m thinking about it, yes.”

He paused before sipping again. “Have you told him?”
She played dumb. “Told him what?”

“Don’t play games, Ro. Have you told him about how we had fun the other night, for lack of better words?” His words almost seemed to echo and it caused her to look around nervously.

“No!” she snapped. “And I’d appreciate it if you never mentioned it ever again.”

She didn’t bother telling Logan that she hadn’t talked to Forge in forever because he was on assignment doing something top secret. He had his secrets, and she now had one of her own. It was the way of the world for now, and even though she didn’t like it, she just had to get over it. Forge was never going to know as longs as she could help it.

He smiled because he had just rattled her. “Is that how you start off all your relationships?”

“Why are you being this way?” She wanted an honest answer as she stood and approached him. It reminded him of that day when they’d first met and she told him to choose a side because she’d already chosen one.

“Yer so fucking beautiful,” he growled out the remark and watched as something flashed behind her eyes.

Her expression turned painful. “I want to marry, Forge.”

He nodded and looked away. “I know.”

“Then why are you being this way?” She touched his face almost needing to touch him because it was what he did to her. He drew her into his world and made her need to be in his presence. His eyes came back to rest on her features as her hand dropped back to her side. She hadn’t meant to get that close.

“Can’t help it,” he bit out seeming almost wounded by her words. He couldn’t admit the thoughts he’d had about her to her face. He couldn’t tell her how he now felt territorial and that the thought of Forge ever touching her again, made him want to rip the other man’s throat out. Nah, he couldn’t explain that in one night he’d discovered that he burned for her. Hell, he couldn’t explain to her how much her touch reminded him of something intimate.

He definitely couldn’t tell her that he’d marked her in the heat of passion.

She almost smiled. “It was just one night, Logan.”

That was all it had taken.

He wanted her now. He needed to possess her, but instead he walked away. She watched him go, and decided that he wouldn’t tell Forge. And as much as it was killing her, she wouldn’t tell him either.

A painful mental call from Emma told her she was needed in the sub-layer. She’d been working on Cerebro.

Something was amiss.

X


Emma had been relaxed while using Cerebro. It required all of her focus to use the machine that Charles Xavier had used to find other mutants, those both powerful and weak.

As the hum of the machine narrowed her psychic focus, she found an interruption. She focused even harder and found that it was coming from a certain someone. At that moment, a terrible scream erupted from her lips in Forge’s voice.

Fighting the pain, she pulled Cerebro from her head and mentally called Storm to alert her to Forge’s plight. She needed to know that whoever had captured him meant business.

She collapsed then.





You must login () to review.