A Road Paved with Bones

It was always something.

No matter who, what, or where.

That Tsunami of shit seemed to follow him everywhere.

Logan struck a match and lit the cigarette hanging form his mouth. He inhaled deeply, and blew out a plume of smoke . He leaned back against the old oak tree and shut his eyes. The sun was hidden behind a large and dark cloud, and the scent of a late fall rain tickled the insides of Logan’s nose,.

It would be winter soon.

Cold and dark .

Just the way he liked it.

A moment’s peace had been getting harder and harder to come by lately. It seemed way out here on the very edges of the school’s grounds, away from all the babble and bullshit, was the only place his mind found that one subtle moment of peace.

Ever since that vision he had in the Danger Room a few weeks back, he mostly kept to himself That was nothing new except this time he was doing it not just because he wanted to, but because he felt he had to.

With One Eye grinding down his last nerve, the proff not getting any where with their sessions, and the constant showcase of some of the finest ass in the States,.

he was getting a little hot under the collar.

Above and below.

The dreams had not gotten any better either.

They were always new, but always the same, too.

Blood and pain.

Screams and cries.

Hunger, agony, pleasure and joy.

It was all a big cluster fuck.

He leaned back and took another long drag. The drinking and smoking didn’t take that taste out of his mouth, though. Even after all this time, he could still taste Storm on his tongue.

And damn if it wasn’t still just as sweet.

That girl had something in her.

Something primal.

Something dark.

And that turned him on like a nuclear reactor powering a jackhammer.

As much as he wanted to just take her that time in the danger room, that…..hallucination?……kept him at bay

And now not only could he remember the way she felt and the taste of her sweat.

He also remembered the taste of her blood.

And how good it felt swallowing the last sounds of her screams as he ripped her throat out.

As messed up as Logan knew he was, the idea of cannibalism was still a very fucked up idea.

So he had stayed away .

From all of them.

He liked it out here, anyway.

Away from the looks and the whispers and the smells.

Away from civilization.

Away from his humanity.

He stood up and threw his smoke to the ground and grinded it out beneath his boot heel,.

He unbuttoned his shirt and threw it over his bike His boots came off next, and he set them inside one of the saddlebags.

He stretched out his frame, letting the bones pop and the muscles strain. He took a sniff of the air and found something he liked.

No more than a few yards away was dinner.

From the musk, Logan knew it was a male, ; big one, too, by the strength of the smell.

He ducked low to the ground and slowly crawled into the bush,

Sure enough at the very stream a short distance away that he himself had been using over time stood a honey of a twelve point buck

It would make a hell of a trophy on a wall if he cared about that kind of shit.

All Logan knew was how good it was gonna taste,

He sneaked closer, making no sound and staying in the downwind, until he stood but a few feet to the side of the animal.

Slowly the claws in his right arm extended.

The deer never heard anything, only kept sipping at the water.

Logan crouched his legs and prepared to leap.

“Logan.”

The sound of the voice in his head distracted him for only a moment, but long enough for the deer to catch the wind right.

With a great leap, it stormed off into the forest

Logan kicked the ground. “Fucking A Charley of all the times.”

‘Did I interrupt something?” the disembodied voice asked.

“Only my damn dinner;, you’re worse than a fucking telemarketer.”

‘You are needed in the War Room, we have a mission.”

Logan scoffed as he walked back to his bike and began slipping his shirt and boots back on. “Not the national guard Chuck, I don’t come running when I am called .’”

“I think this will have interest for you.”

“If it ain’t got nothing to do with booze, beaches and bitches, Chuck, I ain’t interested.”

“Its Weapon X, Logan, . we have a lead.”

Logan froze for a moment. “On my way.”

And as just as quick as the words left his mouth. Logan was gone.

The War Room

Charles sat on the end of the table with the majority of his team only waiting for their as of late rarely seen comrade.

Scott sat close to Jean, a scowl evident on his face. He had been none to happy with the decision to wait for Wolverine.

The rest of the team sat in quiet wait.

The doors to the room opened and in walked a determined man.

“About time.” ,” Scott said.

Logan didn’t even turn to look at him. “Fuck you, Scooter/”.”

He put his hands on the edge of the table and leaned down to get right in Xavier’s face.

“Where?”

Charles went on to explain the situation.

“I have an informant high up in the Canadian government feeding me intelligence on some of their special projects, I have been hoping to find out more about the Weapon X division , but until now it has been completely impossible to detect/”.”

“Skip the ‘“How I done it” ‘ shit, Chuck. just throw me a bone here.”

“Guess he doesn’t like the squeaky toys anymore, ” Beast whispered to a suddenly very quiet Ororo, hoping to get a giggle out of her.

She said nothing, only kept her eyes on anything in the room other than Logan.

Logan’s enhanced hearing picked up that little joke of blue boy’s and filed it away in a very large drawer in his mind to shove up Hank’s ass later, . In the meantime, he had business to attend to.

“Just say where, Chuck.”

Charles clicked on a small device on his chair and a holographic image appeared in front of them.

“Northern Alberta, a small facility not on any manifest transfers that my source could find, but with a high level of both cargo and personal traffic, a lot of activity goes on there and they try to keep it quiet as possible.”

Logan sighed and shook his head. “That’s it? Hell, Chuck, it could be a fucking nudist colony for all you know.”

Cyclops spoke up. “Watch it, Wolverine.”

Logan turned to face him. “I’ll watch it as I shove it straight down your fucking throat, One Eye/”.”

Scott stood and raised his hand to his visor. “Give me a reason..”

“Here’s six.”

Snikt.

The other X-men rose as well, not knowing what to expect from either man.

A mental shout inside their minds made them all stop.

Enough!

Scott, reluctantly, lowered his hand from his visor.

Wolverine kept his arms raised, and a dangerous growl issued from his throat.

“Logan,” the voice of the professor warned, “I said, enough.”

Logan looked over at Charles and then back to Cyclops. “Soon, One Eye. Real soon.”

He lowered his arms and retracted his claws.

“As I was sayingm” the professor continued. “until recently I have not been able to pick up on any Psi waves coming from the facility, some sort of shielding similar to the one Erik uses, but this morning I received what only could be described as a distress call in the form of a telepathic cry.”

Charles pressed a different button and a small holographic image of a young girl replaced that of the facility.

“Rahne Sinclair, the ward of a colleague of mine, went missing several days ago, no one has seen or heard form from her since.”

“Do you think she was taken?” Jean asked.

“It would definitely fit the MO of Weapon X,” Hank answered.

“Is the girl a telepath?” Emma asked.

Charles shook his head. “Transmorph, actually.”

“So if she isn’t a telepath, how do you know it was her and how did she…..contact you?” Kitty asked,

“I saw her clearly, in a laboratory, suspended in a holding tank, screaming, . There were other mutants there as well many of them all of them in pain.”

“Maybe one of the others did it?” Alex said,

“The only explanation I can come to, yes.” ,” Charles responded,

“Perhaps it’s a trap.” A very silent Nightcrawler spoke, ; the talk about Weapon X had rattled him a bit.

“That has also been taken into consideration, Kurt.:” Charles assured him. “That is why a reconnaissance mission is in order.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Logan huffed out. “Don’t know if this is Weapon X at all, and if it is, I sure as hell ain’t just going back to check under a few rugs, . There is about five hundred potential organ donors up there and I aim to do the surgery myself.”

Bobby leaned over to Angel. “Rambo?”

Angel shook his head. “Hannibal Lector, more like it.”

“Logan, there are people in trouble there, fellow mutants who are going through some of the same tortures that you, Kurt and Rogue all went through.” The professor wheeled over to him. “‘I understand your thirst for retribution, but we must see that no more crimes are done to others as they were done to you.”

“Fuck everybody else, Chuck, it ain’t about retribution, it’s about a reckoning,” Logan growled out. “And I am the fucking Pale Horse,”

“If you will not follow the orders Logan than I am afraid that you must remain here,” Charles stated firmly.

Logan scoffed. “You don’t even know if it’s the right place or not yet..”

Charles nodded. “I saw this place in your mind, Logan, this is where your bones were made.”



Two hours later:

After a Niagara Falls size pissing match, Logan found himself in the Blackbird with the rest of the team on their way up north to Alberta.

He had relented.

Xavier had convinced him. The fucking guy could convince the Devil to buy central heating.

It was more than that, though. The first clue he had found in years. the first link to his past, to what happened all those long years ago, before he was made into this.

He would play along for now. He would be the good little soldier boy for Xavier and find out what was going on there first.

But afterwards…

Oh, the fucking Maelstrom he would bring down upon the place.

He stood up from his chair and walked to the back. The whole crew was here.

The other Summers and that green-haired chick,

He wondered if the carpet matched the drapes.

Ice Cube and Bird Boy sat together snickering and giggling like a couple of high school kids.

The dark-skinned girl that could make force shields or some such shit sat with Shadowcat.

Logan laughed as he passed them because Kitty tried lowering herself as much as possible into her chair, . Girl was cute, even when she was terrified.

The big Russian sat close to that girl Rogue, who was once a member of the Weapon outfit. They were talking quietly. He picked up the smell of fear coming from her and the soft words of encouragement the big mutant was telling her.

She remembered Weapon X all too well.

Other than him, who couldn’t?

He sat down in the back across from that Kurt kid.

He had his head bowed low, a rosary clutched in his hand, and he was whispering in German.

Logan didn’t know where he picked it up but he knew a little of what the kid was saying.

“The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me lie down in green pastures and leads me by the still waters. He restoreth my soul He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His namesake. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for thou art with me, thy rod and staff they comfort me…”..?

“Might as well save it bub” Logan interrupted. “He doesn’t listen.”

Kurt turned his eyes over to his teammate. “What makes you so sure?”

Logan shrugged. “Seen a lot of pain and suffering in my days boy, and never no God that answered any of the cries that any of those people no doubt cried.”

“And I have seen a great deal of The Lord’s work, even by those who would say they oppose him.” Kurt raised his rosary and smiled. “And he has helped those who do not even believe in Him or ask for His help.”

Logan shook his head with a snort.

“I have been to Hell, Wolverine,” Kurt continued. “And it is at this place where we are going, why I was released I do not know, but I will go back to help others to free them of perdition, even if it means walking right back through those gates, . Surely, you would spare others of such a fate. That is why you go too, yes?”

Logan leaned over and popped his claws. “I am going ‘cause of this Elf, because those bastards and Your God did this to me, made me something that was only meant to take people out, . I don’t give a shit about the others; I just want those no good sons of bitches to get what they got coming.”

Kurt nodded. “You have much anger in your heart Logan, but the Lord touches all in different ways and in those different ways he will bring us to Him.”

Logan scoffed and began to walk off.

“We are going into the Valley of the Shadow of Death, Logan,” Kurt called out to him. “I will pray for us all.”

Logan turned around and smiled. “Keep your prayers bub, I’m the meanest mother fucker in this valley.”

Logan walked away without another word. He saw Storm’s eyes meet with his as he rounded the next corner, into the holding bay of the jet. She was standing over by Hank as he worked on something on the bench. That blond was in here too, Emma was it? She was looking bored as she watched Hank continue to work on whatever it was he was doing.

The only thing in the room for a moment, though, was the look in Ororo’s eyes.

Eyes the color of the sea after a hurricane.

They were beautiful.

If only there was not so much contempt in them at the moment.

She turned away from his gaze and went back to watching Hank.

Logan felt a small twinge somewhere deep down in his gut, and for just a fraction of a moment he felt the need to say something to her.

To try to explain about what happened a few weeks ago.

Shit, did he want to…..a…apo…apologize???

He shook that off in a heartbeat, he didn’t apologize. He was pretty sure that was a rule.

Even if he did want to, what the fuck would he say?

Sorry, darlin’, couldn’t fuck ya cause I had this weird dream about me chewing on your throat while a floating red red-headed chick watched.

Yeah, that would go over real well.

Emma had been so bored for the past hour or so. She couldn’t stand sitting in that seat any longer, so she hopped up and came to the back, so lucky for her that now she could watch the disgusting flirting of Beast and Storm.

She was ready to hurl herself out the hangar bay door until she saw Logan enter.

She watched him in great fascination as he strolled in.

The way he moved and the shift of his muscles had her absently licking her lips.

Oh, the man was just dying to be conquered by.

She slid off the table top and swayed over to him.

Logan and walked to the bulkhead and lit a smoke just as Emma approached.

He blew out a burst of smoke in her direction. “Evening.”

She smiled like a tigress. “Mind if I have one of those?”

Logan looked her over a minute. She was a real piece of work. She had a body that most men would trade vital parts of their own to be able to touch. The outfit she called a uniform sure didn’t leave much to the imagination, either.

He pulled another cigarette out and placed it beside the other in his mouth and lit it with a match. He slowly pulled it free and handed it to her. She took it and slowly pulled a drag out between pink and full lips.

“:Finally,” she said, blowing the smoke out.” Someone who knows the value of what a smoke can do for a person.”

Logan could not help but smile. This one was eager. He could smell it. She was a telepath from what he had heard, and if it wasn’t for all the psionic shields in his dome, she would be seeing herself slammed against the nearest wall and hammered like a railroad spike.

“I can appreciate a lot of things, darlin’,” he breathed out slow, taking a few sniffs of her body in and relishing each one. “The body needs a lot of different things that’s for sure, but sometimes it’s those things that we think we only just want are the things we really need.”

She leaned in a bit closer. “Oh, yes, I can agree with that way of thinking.”

Logan leaned down and sniffed along her neck taking in deep, hard breaths of her scent.

His eyes met Ororo’ s and he smiled.

He knew she had been watching .

And she was on the verge of causing a category 5 tornado in the bay.

Ororo couldn’t believe that bastard. She cold feel the power surges flowing through her body wanting to just lash out and cut that creep’s groin off where he stood.

A small arc of energy hit Hank on his shoulder and he yelped out in surprise.

“Ow, what the hell.” ?” he said, rubbing his arm.

Ororo looked over at Hank and felt the power cease flowing through her. “Oh, sorry, Hank.”

Hank rubbed his shoulder. “That hurt like hell.”

Ororo paused a moment, looked over at Logan and Emma and back to Hank. “Maybe I can distract you a moment from the pain.” She leaned in and kissed him.

She maneuvered Hank around so her eyes could be directly on Logan. She moaned just loud enough for him to hear as she wrapped her arms around Hank’s neck.

Their eyes locked and each could see the inferno of emotions boiling to the top in the other’s eyes.

Logan eased back from an almost pleasure drunk Emma.

And walked away.

She stood there as if the wind had blown a winning lottery ticket over a cliff.

“Where the hell are you going/” ?” she almost shrieked.

“Later” was all the answer he gave.

She stood there glowering for a moment before she calmed herself down. Oh, payback was a bitch, and just as fate would have it, so was she.

She was going to have him, one way or another, and he would be begging for her by the time it was through.

Ororo still watched him as she still kissed Hank.

Her eyes never lleft his retreating form.



Weapon X complex 449,
Alberta:



“Sir,” a young man called out in the direction of the large officer near one of the holloscreens “We have an inbound.” The officer turned around and came over. “Designation?”

The lab tech shook his head. “Unknown, sir, but it’s small and moving fast.”

He punched a few buttons. “It’s stealthed too, sir, ; if we hadn’t known what to look for ,we never would have picked it up.”

The officer smiled. “The prodigal son returns.”

He stepped away and pulled out his radio “This is General Colcord, code Alpha, we have inbound; everything at the ready.”

He pulled out a smaller communicator. “Cornelius , get the Trigger ready, He is coming”

If he had both of his eyes, the general’s would be shining.





You must login () to review.