Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for hanging in there guys...
Home. Right now home consisted of a bowl of salted peanuts, a pitcher of beer and a burly bar tender, named Don.

Sitting at the bar, Logan pulled on his cigar and held the smoke in his chest until it burned. She was all he could think about. He wanted to believe that she was just some snot nosed kid who had a crush that went farther than it should have. Perhaps he should have felt disgusted by his actions. She was only 18 years old…Christ. What were yah thinkin'?

Maybe he had been playing out some deep seeded fantasy. Being with her made him feel alive again. Hell, he couldn't remember what it was like to be a teenager…to be carefree, and to have your whole life ahead of you. Maybe being with Ororo was some sort of sick mid-life crisis. Yeah that was it. He wasn't in love. He wasn't floored by her smile or the way she laughed. He didn't care about the way she always seemed to put the needs of others ahead of her own. And he damn sure didn't care that she had confessed her love to him in a way that no one else had ever had. She had given him something that no one else could have…

Logan cursed under his breath and crushed his cigar in the nearby ashtray. His head swirled with the memory of Ororo's beautiful body underneath him. Her delicate, inexperienced hands touching his chest; the way her hips writhed under the sensation of his tongue on the hot wet flesh between her legs. She had tasted so sweet, and her response to him was so honest, and trusting.

He downed the last of his beer and motioned to Don for another. God he wished he could get drunk. As much as he wanted to stay at the mansion, he wasn't one to stick around where he wasn't wanted. Ororo was better off he told himself for the hundredth time. Those thoughts would keep him from barreling back towards the mansion to claim what he wanted…what belonged to him. Who was he kidding? With Ororo in his arms he felt for once he could claim a little peace. That he could go on in this life being reasonably happy… Happiness? Maybe he was askin' for too much.

"On the house," Don the bartender said as he placed a shot of tequila in front of him. Logan nodded his head in thanks and hoped the man would be on his way. Don polished a glass and tossed the towel over his shoulder. Just as he opened his mouth to speak again Logan spoke first "Tend to the bar bub. If yah wanna' talk, yah can keep the drink."

Don, the bartender was slightly taken aback, but not thwarted "She must be somethin' else."

Logan downed the last of his beer and reached into his pocket to pay for his drinks. The man was right, but Logan didn't feel much like talking.

In spite of himself, Logan replied, "She is."

"So what'd yah do?" Don asked.

"What makes yah think it was me?"

Don shrugged his shoulders as if to say that it always seemed to be the case.

"Its complicated." Logan grumbled. Then he grabbed his Stetson off the bar and secured it on top of his head.

Don nodded his large head, "It always is. But that's what makes it worth while dontcha think?"

Logan didn't respond. He just stood there considering the mans words. Then he took the shot of tequila and gulped it like water.

Don shrugged again, "Whatever it is, just go home and apologize. If she loves yah, I'm sure she'd forgive yah."

Ororo did love him. She had said as much. But he had left her when he promised that he wouldn't. No, not left. He was dismissed. As the Professor had put it. What was he supposed to do? Throw Ororo over his shoulder and haul her away on his bike? Hell yeah, Why the hell not? Because he didn't have any plans beyond that, and Ororo deserved more than what he had to offer…

"No, absolutely not!" Betsy said. Ororo shoved the last of the few clothes she had taken out to pack into her duffle bag, and checked her wallet for her I.D. and the savings she had.

"Last time I checked, I didn't need your permission," Ororo said calmly. She was so far away from the rage she had felt earlier towards Betsy. Ororo didn't care about any of that now. All that mattered was that she found Logan. Sean had given her the note that Logan had left behind for her. And as much as she wanted to be angry at him for meddling she was glad that he had given it to her. At least someone was on her side.

Logan had told her not to come after him, which didn't make sense, because if he loved her and she loved him then why wouldn't she come after him?

Ororo,

I love you. Please don't come after me.

Logan

'I love you.' the note had said, and that was all that mattered. Of course she would go after him.

They could start a life together, if that was what he wanted. She wanted him to know that she was willing to give up everything for him. That she wanted to be with him regardless of if it were at the mansion or some nameless town in the middle of nowhere. She would do it for him. She would give up the school, and the college acceptance letters for him, because that's how much she loved him. If leaving all of that behind is what it took for them to be together, than so be it.

"You cannot be serious. You're ready to destroy everything you've worked for, for him? Storm, what about college? What about your future?"

"Ima smart girl, I'm sure I can figure it out." Ororo said, "And stay out of my head."

"He left for a reason. You should respect his wishes."

"No, I should just do what you tell me to do right?" Ororo asked, but she wasn't waiting around for an answer. She was in the hall with her bag and nearly down the main stairs when she heard Betsy say from behind her…

"I've seen how this ends."

Ororo knew this was a game. Betsy often used her psychic powers to manipulate others into giving her what she wanted. Ororo had just never imagined that her friend would use it on her. Without turning around, Ororo found herself saying "And how does it end?"

Betsy relaxed a little. She seemed pleased that she had finally said something to stop Ororo in her tracks.

"Not well. This perfect life that you dream of having with him will turn into a nightmare the second he shows you who he really is. You cannot lose yourself in him. I won't let you."

Betsy touched Ororo on her shoulder and startled her. She hadn't realized she was that close. "This thing is going to turn you into someone that I know you're not. It's happening now. You're alienating yourself from the people who love you, giving up on all the things you've wanted to do with your life, with your powers, since we were kids…You are my best friend, and I know you. This? Thisisn't you."

Ororo shrugged Betsy's hand off of her shoulder and continued down the stairs. Panic struck Betsy. She was loosing her best friend.

"Ororo if you walk out that door, then we're through."

Ororo stopped.

"Did you hear me?" Betsy's voice cracked with pain and desperation "So, you should just think twice about this because you're about to lose everything."

Ororo placed her bag down on the stairs. Betsy felt her heart beat with relief. Had she finally gotten through?

Ororo turned to her, eyes so cold and dark that Betsy took in a sharp breath. "Are you finished?" Ororo asked her tone calm and unwavering.

Betsy didn't respond. She didn't know how to.

"Don't speak. I want you to hear me. I mean, really hear me." Betsy nodded.

"You are my best friend. You're like a sister to me, and I love you. I love you enough to tell you that you are a manipulative bitch."

Betsy's mouth fell open, but Ororo continued.

"You always have been. It's part of your charm, but I don't have to tolerate it. I would think you of all people would be able to understand, but why would you? You don't know what it's like to be in love, because you don't trust anyone enough to let them love you completely. Not me, not Sean."

"Sean? It's not the same and you know it –" Betsy choked.

"It's exactly the same. You should see the way he looks at you. He would do anything for you, and all you have to do is love him."

"I do love him."

"Like you love me? Putting our friendship up on the auction block just to get your way?"

Betsy began to crumble under Ororo's intense glare "You don't know what you are saying. You're - You're not thinking clearly."

"I am more clear now then I have ever been." Ororo said her voice full of confidence that she didn't know she had. "You say you love Sean? No, you love that he doesn't put any demands on you. That he takes whatever you are willing to give him. But the minute he steps outside of your comfort zone you shut down. I pray that he realizes how selfish and vindictive you are before you ruin his life. The way you are trying to ruin mine."

"How can you say that to me?"

"It's the truth." Ororo replied and with that she picked up her bag and walked away.

"Storm!" Betsy screamed her eyes glowing a lavender shade that was full of pain and regret. "You get back here goddammit!"

Ororo slammed the door behind her.

:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:

Logan stared at the phone in his motel room for a full minute before he answered it. It had to be a wrong number. No one knew where he was, and even if they did they wouldn't be calling him in exile.

Out of curiosity, he picked up the phone and pressed it to his ear, but before he could say a word, the Professors voice flooded the receiver. "She left the mansion."

Logan cursed. Shouldn't have left her that note. The kid was stubborn. Once she got it in her head that she wanted something, she went after it.

"Any idea where she went?" Logan asked and he was already packing up his bag.

"After you, I presume."

"I'll find her," Logan promised.

"And bring her back to the mansion?" The Professor inquired.

Logan scoffed "Why dontcha' say what's on yer mind Chuck?"

The Professor sighed "Gladly. Do not entertain any imaginings of running off into the sunset with her. She belongs here with me."

"Don't yah mean the school?"

"I am the school Logan. Don't ever forget that."

Logan hung up without saying goodbye. When did the Professor turn into such a dick? Logan couldn't blame him. He was only doing what he thought was right for Storm. He would have probably behaved the same way if he were in the Professors position. Ororo. She was a hard one to give up.

He knew her scent by heart. His best bet would be to head back towards the mansion, and perhaps he would pick up her scent somewhere along the way.

"I'm comin' baby" he said as his bike roared to life.





You must login () to review.