Chapter 7


“Hank, what is going on here?” The Professor demanded.

“Well to let the proverbial cat out of the bag, Logan is the father.” Hank said, pointing towards Wolverine.

The professor just stared at Logan for a long moment. “Storm, is this true?”

“Yes Charles.”

“Wolverine, I would like to see you outside for a moment.” The Professor said as he exited the med-lab.

“I’ll be right back.” Wolverine kissed Storm’s forehead before leaving. Beast and Jean just stared at Storm, processing what just occurred.

“Whadda ya’ want Chuck?” Wolverine asked, leaning against the wall with his arms folded.

“I asked you to take care of Storm, help her. Not take advantage of her!” He slammed his fist onto his chair.

“I never took advantage of her or made her do anything she didn’t want!” He pointed back at the
Professor. “She wanted it just as much as me! We needed each other.”

“You pick remarkable timing for need Wolverine.”

“What’s going on here?” Scott said, running towards the Professor.

“Nothin’ four-eyes, mind yer own business!”

The med-lab doors hissed behind him. Ororo was standing in a hospital gown and barefoot. Jean and Beast were behind her. “Charles, is everything okay?”

“Fine Storm, you shouldn’t be up. Jean take her back inside.”

Jean shook her head and grabbed Storm’s arm.

Logan turned to go back inside with her.

“Logan, I am not done speaking with you.” Charles commanded.

“Well I ain’t interested in yer lil’ speech right now Professor.”

“Logan.” Storm whispered putting her hand on his arm. “Charles, please understand I am capable of making my own decisions. Logan has done nothing wrong; we are both equally responsible for this. Professor, please…give us your blessing. This is not something to be angry about.”

“Of course you can have my blessing Storm.” Charles sighed. “Please rest, you are still in danger of loosing the other one.”

“Other one?” Wolverine questioned, dropping his hands to his sides and clenching his fists.

“Hank, Jean…you did not tell them?”

“What happened to Storm?” Scott asked shaking his arms, getting frustrated in not having his questions answered.

Everyone looked at Cyclops.

“Not now Cyke!” Wolverine looked back towards the Professor, “What did you mean by ‘other one’?”

Charles opened his mouth, but did not respond.

“Storm, there were twins, but I’m afraid you lost one during your mission. It is better if you did not participate in missions for the remainder of your pregnancy.” Hank rubbed Storm’s arm, “I am so sorry Ororo.”

Storm put her face in her palms and turned to walk back into the med-lab. She was sobbing softly. Hank accompanied her.

“Storm’s pregnant! Is this your doing Logan?” Cyclops yelled, a red light forming around his glasses in anger.

“I’m the father, if that’s what you mean by doin’?” He growled.

“I knew you had an ulterior motive!” He pointed towards Wolverine “It’s always about yourself, isn’t it Logan!” He looked towards the Professor, “I knew we shouldn’t have trusted him!”

“You don’t know what you’re talkin’ about ‘bub!” Wolverine’s claws came out and he pointed them towards Cyclops’ chest. “I’d watch my mouth unless you wanna become dog food!”

“Scott, Logan! Now is not the time for this!” The Professor moved between them.

Wolverine walked towards the med-lab doors “Storm needs me…” he glanced towards the Professor as he retracted his claws.

“Why are you letting him get away with this!”

“Scott, Logan needs time process all of this, just like Storm and the rest of us do.”

“Please Scott, I know you’re being protective of Storm, but we need to be there for her.” Jean pleaded. “Arguing with Logan will just add stress to her.”

“Jean is right Scott. Storm has a high chance of miscarriage for the rest of the first trimester. We must be supportive. We are her family.”

“Of course I’ll support Storm, but…”Cyclops sighed.

“We need to support Logan too. “ Jean whispered. She grabbed Scott’s arm. “Let’s go to bed, we all need some rest.”

Charles sighed as he watched Jean take Scott towards the elevator. The doors hissed and he entered the med-lab.

Logan was holding Ororo while she sobbed. Logan had a tear going down his cheek, but wiped it away quickly. He was unaware the Professor had entered.
“Be strong, Storm.” He said holding her. “We still have one baby to be concerned about, we should be happy about that.”

“Of course, you are right, I just…” she started to cry again and tried to stop the sobs.

“Ororo, I think it is best to give you a mild sedative” Beast said, tapping a needle while holding it up to the light. “Emotional and physical stress is not in your best interest right now.” He put the needle into her arm, and then eased her head onto the pillow.

“I would offer you one Logan, but your healing powers would render it useless within minutes.”

“I’m fine Hank…” He held Storm’s hand and stared at her.

“Logan, I may not be much for company, but I am a good listener, if you wish to talk about anything or have concerns or questions.”

“Thanks, but not now.” He still didn’t remove his eyes from Storm.

“Goodnight Logan.” Beast got up and headed towards the door. He stopped to speak to the Professor, still in front of the doors, whispering. “I believe you may have overreacted back there Professor, I do not think he would do anything to harm her physically or emotionally.”

“I’m afraid you’re right Hank. Due to this unexpected news, I may have overreacted. I owe Logan an apology.”

“It is only natural, seeing as how you are a fatherly figure towards her and good friend, you want what’s best for her… as do I. Ororo is strong and very capable of making sound judgments, even in the worst of situations. Logan may be feral and strong-willed, but you and I both know he is human, and has a soft side. His animal-like nature will most likely make him very protective of her; we have nothing to worry about Charles.”

“No, we don’t; but I fear for those that attempt to come between them…”

_________________________________________
“Scott, are you okay?” Jean said kneeling on their bed in a pink knee-length nightgown.

He sighed as he stared out the window towards the tree shadows dancing on the front lawn.

“I can sense your concern for Storm, but she’s strong, like you; we will help her get through this.”

“I know Storm’s strong!” He said tensely “…but Wolverine…well…he’s Wolverine! He never stays in one place long enough to have real relationships. When he gets bored he just up and goes. What good is that to Storm, or her baby?”

“Scott, you’ll see, I sense true feelings from him. He will be there for her.”

The sound of a motorcycle interrupted them. The front gates were opening up. Scott looked from the window back to Jean.

“Yeah, well Wolverine just left the building.”





You must login () to review.