Saturday, 6:00 am

“Good morning people! Ready to work?” asked Lieutenant Bishop as he walked into the conference room in the NYPD.

“Not really chief… Couple more hours of sleep would have been nice.” Said detective Nathan Gray who barely kept his eyes opened and yawned every minute.”Why did you call us in at 6 am and none the less on Saturday? It’s our day off.”

“There’s been a murder.” That woke him up. “Double murder to be exact.”

“What? Where?”

“Xavier’s, two students.”

“Damn.”

“Yeah. One male, 19, identified as Michael Dorfman and one female, 18, identified as Julie Rose. They were found dead in the school’s gym, stabbed several times, well the girl was raped and cut open… ”

“Time of death?” asked det. Elizabeth "Betsy" Braddock.

“It’s still unknown.” answered Bishop.

“Who recovered their bodies?” asked det. Ororo Munroe, the newest addition to the team.

“Their parents got worried when the kids didn’t come home all night, apparently it wasn’t like them to just wonder off without calling. The neighbor’s kid told them that somewhere around 8:30 Michael got a call from Julie and went to meet her at Xavier’s, so they called the police to find him. They were afraid that something has happened to him on his was over there.”

“They didn’t think that something might have happened to him in there did they?” said det. Braddock.

“No, they didn’t. Something like this has never before happened there, it’s a very well known and respected school. Usually it’s guarded and there are cameras all over the place, but last night something was different. There were no guards at sight and none of the cameras were working, it wasn’t even locked.”

“What are we doing sitting here then? Shouldn’t we be at the crime scene looking for evidence?”spoke for the first time det. Piotr Nikolayevich Rasputin with his thick Russian accent.

“I already sent some of my there and we’ll go there ourselves as soon as this meeting is over. I called you in here first for a reason. If memory serves me right, and it does, this case is similar to some previous unsolved cases of which I heard of or have investigated. Pryde, you’ll look into that. I want you to find every single unsolved case that resembles this one from all over the country.”

“Yes sir, I’ll get right on it.” said the computer expert as well as the youngest member on the team, Katherine
"Kitty" Pryde.

“Good. The rest of you can go to the crime scene.” as soon as he said that everyone got. “But…” they stopped at their tracks. “I need to tell you one more thing before you go, to be specific, the reason why I called you here. ” said Bishop while looking at det. Munroe.

“C’mon mate! What have you been doing till now?” asked det. Braddock a little bit irritated.

“Munroe, you won’t work on this case for the further notice.” said Bishop to Ororo, while ignoring Betsy.

“What!?” she yelled suddenly feeling angry.

“Before you say anything you may regret later let me tell you why I don’t want you on this case, yet.”

“Please, enlighten me.”

“Watch your mouth. You’re new here, nobody knows you yet…”

“What, people will think I did it?” Was her sarcastic reply to her superior.

“Will you be quiet and listen!? What I was going to say, before you so stupidly interrupted me, is that I may need you later on this case for some undercover work, that is if my theory is right about it. You’re perfect for it because you just joined us and nobody knows about you yet, so you could get easily in that school without causing suspicion.”

“Oh… Well isn’t it a little bit early to do undercover missions, I mean you said it yourself, I’m new at this.”

“Right now we don’t have anyone else, so IF it comes to that you’ll be the one to do it. If it doesn’t come to that you’ll join your teammates in the investigation. Clear?”

“Yes sir.” answered Munroe, feeling bad for bursting out like that. She needed to learn how to keep her temper in check.

“Alright, you can go home now, we’ll let you know as soon as we find something. The rest of you go and do your job.”
He briefly heard them say ‘yes sir’ when they headed toward Xavier’s.

“Charles Xavier” high school, gym, 7:00 am




The detectives just arrived at the scene. The sight in front of them would turn anyone’s stomach upside down. Dry pools of blood were around the victims’ bodies. The boy lying on his stomach with multiple knife cuts in his back and next to him the girl, naked, lying on her back with her stomach cut in half.

“Oh my God…” gasped det. Braddock “I’ve seen some pretty horrible things but this… Oh my God…”

“Poor deti (kids)…” said the giant Russian.

“Oh man… Sometimes I really hate this job. They were just kids…” said Nate, not really able to look at the bodies.

“That’s why we have to find out who did this and bring him to justice before he harms anyone else, and I have a feeling that he will. Anyway… Do you know what’s the worst part of all this?” asked Bishop.

“There’s something worse?”

“Yes Nate.”

“Like what?”

“You have to tell the parents.”

“Damn. That never goes well.”

“Telling to a parent that his child has been murdered, no I can’t really imagine that ever going well.”

“True.”

“Anyway, what have you found so far?” Bishop asked one of the officers.

“Nothing sir. There is no DNA, no foot or fingerprints, no pieces of clothing, nothing. Perhaps something will come out after the autopsy but for now there’s nothing to work with.”

“Alright, get the bodies to doc. McCoy.”

“Yes sir.”

“Braddock, you and Gray are going to pay a visit to the Dorfmans, Rasputin you’ll question the neighbor’s kid and detectives Dane and Darkholme will go to the girl’s family. Now move.” when they left he pulled out his phone and dialed Kitty. “Pryde, do you have anything for me?”

“Yes sir. I did what you asked and I found out that there have indeed been murders like this before, three to be exact from which one happened in NY three years ago at the ‘Lensherr’s’ high school.”

“I remember that case. It’s the most famous school in NY next to this one. We never found the killer. Where were the other two?”

“The first one happened nine years ago in New Orleans at the “Benjamin Franklin” high school and the second one happened in New Jersey at the ‘Millburn’ high school, both of them top rated schools.”

“The killer does have some ritual in his killings right?”
“Oh, does he ever! In the first week he kills like he did now, two students, and leaves no evidence behind. In the second week, well, looks like he doesn’t really choose who he’ll kill the second time since it has been different every time and in the third week he kills one of the professors.”

“Tell me more about the second and third week.”

“Second and third week, murder one, Hugues Martin, the school janitor and prof. Adela Bessette, she taught Biology. Murder two, Jeff Garcia, worked as the schools security guard and prof. Donna King, she taught geography. Murder three doc. Karen Walker, the school nurse and prof. Douglas Ramsey, he taught informatics and technology. I knew the guy… he was so nice…” she trailed off…

“Were any connections between them?”

“No, they weren’t connected in any way except for the fact that they went/worked in top rated schools.”

“Is that everything?”

“Yes, for now. I’ll inform you if I find something more.”

“Alright. Oh… I need you to check one more thing Pryde.”

“Yes sir?”

“Every employee from every school and see are there any matches, it’s a small possibility but maybe we’ll get lucky.”

“I’m on it sir.” as soon as she said that the line went dead and Bishop started dialing another number.

“Munroe.” answered the voice on the other end.

“You’re in. Be in my office in an hour, sharp.”

“Yes sir, I’ll be there.”




NYPD, Bishop’s office 8:30 am

Nock, nock…

“Get in here Munroe.”

“You wanted to see me sir?”

“Yeah, sit down.” he pointed to a chair across from him and she complied. He took some files from his desk and handed them to her.

“You have everything written down in there, but I’ll fill you in on short notes before you read them. You’ll get a job at Xavier’s as a history teacher, you’ll befriend the other professors and everything you hear from them or from the other employees you have to tell me. We can’t communicate in person, so our way of communication is written down in the files. Read them, learn everything it tells you and don’t screw up. Pick out a name you want us to put in your biography.”

“N’Dare”

“Exuse me?”

“N’dare. I want that to be my new name.” she said blankly.

“Couldn’t you pick more common name?”

“No.”

“Fine, whatever. Just pick a more common last name, will
you?”

“Yes sir.”

Just as Bishop opened his mouth to say something his
phone rung.

“Bishop.”

“We got lucky!” said the overly cheerful voice.

“Really? What’d you find Pryde?” he asked genuinely
surprised.

“I started checking out the professors and one name appeared in every single case.” He could practically see her wide smile.

“And that name is…” he urged her, getting inpatient.

“James Logan Howlett.”





You must login () to review.