Author's Chapter Notes:
I know I don't own these characters, just borrowing them so please don't sue me.

This is posted today for my brother, who started my love for RoLo. Happy Birthday and Rest in Peace. I Love ya' always.
The field was the perfect spot to gaze at the mountains in the distance. The sun was just seting in a glorious display of warm colors. Lush tress, foliage and wild flowers covered the earth, spreading out under the canopy of dusk. Even through a red haze of lenses and anger their beauty was obvious, just not appreciated at the moment.

Right now nothing made any sense or had any meaning to him. He needed air, he needed to breathe.

The desire to pull off his glasses and throw them away, accepting the freedom of just opening his eyes and blasting a hole in whatever was in front of him was strong. He didn't want to care or feel anything, the price for both was too high.

This little haven had been a place of happy memories and comfort for Scott and Ororo since their early teen years, when they had found it as siblings needing a place to call their own away from the mansion.

Many days were spent building their solid bond that had remained unbreakable.

Not often had either Scott or Ororo ventured here alone, but this time after grabbing a bottle of Benriach scotch from the professor's locked, now unlocked liquor cabinet, Scott made his way to the most peaceful place he knew.

Hours had passed as he sat holding the now almost empty bottle letting it dangle from his fingers.

He tried desperately to get his head around the thought of Jean and Wolverines betrayal, as images of them together kept flooding his mind. He was a fool. He should have known it was bound to happen sooner or later. But he trusted her. Believed in the commitment they had made to one another and the supposed love they shared. Stupid! And blind in more ways than one.

He didn't want to know when, where or how many times, it wouldn't change the pain. That it had happened at all was enough.

Why now...was the question that kept niggling at the front of his mind. The timing for the truth coming out seemed all wrong. For some time now Logan had shown no interest in Jean, as if he had moved on. His relentless pursuit of her not a factor, he was no longer bothered by him in that way. What did the bother him was that he seemed to have moved on to his sister, Storm.

The Wolverines attraction to Ororo was obvious, though he tried to keep it concealed, distant as in all things about himself. He just wasn't fooling Scott, who was a seasoned veteran when it came to him interfering in the life of the women he cared about.

Sighing in aggravation and running his free hand through his dark auburn locks, he was tired of thinking. He took another swig from his liquid friend. Damn he hurt. Physical pain could hurt like hell. But heartbreak hurt like a motherfucker!

--Two and a half hours earlier--

'Ororo, Scott is at your sanctuary and he has gotten into the...refreshments.'

Storm received the professors cryptic telepathic message.

--Present--

Twenty minutes passed with her watching him, doing his best to numb the pain of the reality he now faced. A reality they had in common. She knew he would have one heck of a hangover tomorrow, but who was she to say what was the best way to deal with what had been dumped on his lap.

Cautiously she made her way to him, sending a faint breeze ahead of herself, announcing her approach, as she had so many times in the past.

"The professor send you?" said, not once turning to look at her, his eyes staring straight ahead.

She sat beside him on the large rock, reaching up to hold onto his shoulder, "Yes."

Neither one spoke for a long time. Their eyes staring straight ahead, but focused on nothing.

"I could kill him you know."

"I know...but, I wish you wouldn't."

"How long O,...how long have you been in love...with him?"

"Longer than I am willing to accept...or admit."

"When were you going to tell me...about them?"

She took the time to look up at the stars now starting to shine overhead. A sight that never failed to make her feel so small. Not as small as his words now did.

"Do not hate me brother. I could not bear to be the one to hurt you, knowing first hand what this pain feels like. I just knew that if any part of Logan and I were real...he would be man enough to tell you,...as he should."

"Humph. Logan and you," he spat, "the asshole doesn't deserve you or the right to be around decent people."

"I fear that's just it dear brother, all his life he has had to take what happiness or good out of life he could, because everything positive was taken from him. Cruel people manipulated him and no one should have to fight for the right to exist, or prove they have value or have it taken away."

"You're sounding like dad sis, and right now I really don't give a shit!"

"I know, but don't you see dear heart, that's probably why he has stayed on here, to join the fight with others who have had to endure the same injustices and want something better for ourselves and those like us. He is clinging to the only bit of commonality, peace, love and family he has ever had."

"So he just takes whatever he wants without a thought to anyone else and that makes it all okay."

Ororo sighed deeply, carefully choosing her next words, "Sometimes dear brother, one doesn't have to take what they want, sometimes it is freely given."

Shaded pained eyes finally turned to look at her, what he had been avoiding intruded clearly into his liquor filled thoughts. Still his heart wouldn't let his mouth speak what he wasn't yet willing to accept.

Hurt outweighing the anger now, his shoulders slumped in agonizing defeat. "What do we do now, how do we get past this O'?" his voice sounded so much like the teenage Scott she remembered.

"One breath, one step, one moment and one day at a time. We're survivors Scott, we fight till there is nothing left within us."

"It just makes me hate him more...knowing that he hurt you in all of this."

"Hate is easy. Love is so much harder. Both can be a choice."

"Yeah, well right now I choose to forget about her," his voice broke causing him to inhale sharply, "and him." he said, holding the almost empty bottle out to her, as he still looked straight ahead. "I love you O'."

"And I you." she said, taking the bottle from him, not willing for him to feel any kind of pain alone.


He was every kind of fool. Not once could he remember being able to hold onto anything good. Some people were just dealt a load full of shit for a life and his was one of them. Not that he didn't do everything in his power to ensure that he received more than his fair share.

The No Place Special bar had been his current address for the last four hours. Wild Turkey had been his best friend for all four of them, with a steady companion of beer tagalongs. And and all breathing wannabe company, including the usual bevy of make-up camouflaged and tit heavy females, were sent off with the simplest glare or growl. He was simply put, wanting to be left the fuck alone.

She was the last person he wanted to see, but presently she was the only one with the nerve to approach him, regardless of the manacing body posture he was currently putting out.

As she entered the bar noticing him in his corner of seclusion, she saw his eyes follow her as she neared.

"Go ta hell Red."

"Logan please," she pled, "give me just a minute..."

His hand slammed the table top hard, jarring its contents and causing all nearby to look up startled in their direction. "Heard yer bullshit before, I aint interested."

Bravely or foolishly she sat down at his table.

He raised one brow in his usual fashion as a feral growl rumbled from his throat.

"I am sorry for earlier..." she started, ignoring his warning, "and for...for Washington."

"Yer full of it." he threw back at her, smelling the lie as it rolled off her tongue.

"What changed Logan,..." she continued, "what made you want her over me..." her voice trembled, as the waterworks threatened to show.

The look on his face was incredulous, was she fucking insane or just plain stupid. After all that had happened his vote was for both.

"I...I...I know what I did...was not completely...ethical..."

His temper was quickly reaching the boiling point. "Which time Red, when ya tampered with my head, or when ya goaded me inta fucking ya?"

If he didn't have his enhanced sense of hearing he would have missed her next words, "You can't tell me you never wanted me...she came between us."

He spoke through clenched teeth, as he leaned forward, "Let's get one thing straight, I always wanted her, always will," his chest tightened unbearably at the admission, "she couldn't come between what never was."

"Some part of it had to be real for you Logan, I know it,..."

"Then ya don't know shit! We played a fucking game, how much was manipulated by ya, ya'll never tell, but my roll in all this I accept...what was real was that two people actually gave a damn about the both of us and we threw it away."

"Were they really that important Logan," she reached out trying to hold his hand, he snatched it away, "or did we just make them out to be what we wanted them to be? You will see,...I am just as much woman as Storm. More if you'll let me be."

"Humph, not on yer best day Red, or with a thousand years ta practice and try."

"You Bastard!" she exploded, "What gives her the right to have the love of every man that comes into contact with her?! I deserve just as much attention and respect as she does, yet her odd white hair, blue eyes and darker skin draws it all to her! Do you realize even Scott started out having more than brotherly affection for her, before I..." she stopped, once again anger causing her to say too much.

"Yer a real fucking piece of work," he spoke calmly, outwardly keeping the inward jealousy of One-Eye loving his Ro that way suppressed along with his desire to fillet Jean. "Ya could have everyone care a helluva lot more fer ya, if the stink of yer jealousy fer Ro weren't so over powering. Yer two different women Red, both of ya gifted in yer own way, but Ro chooses to love, caring about everyone and thing around her, seeing their worth, ya just see and obstacle in yer way of getting all that ya truly aint entitled ta. Yer sick Jeannie," for the first time using a more gentle title for her, "ya can't see all ya have, fer all that ya want ta take from Storm"

Finally something of understanding started to sink into Jeans turbulent mind. She hung her head as the tears flowed freely down her beautiful face.

Standing to leave as he looked down upon the troubled X-woman his eyes showing no signs of softening in compassion. "Do yerself a favor, get some help. Go see Chuck. And..." he touched her for the first time, placing his thumb on her chin with his index finger underneath it, he lifted her head up to him, "leave me the fuck alone."

She sat sideways, watching as he walked away and exited the bar before she turned around, placing her arms on the table, resting her head on them and cried, for all of what she knew. He had spoken the truth.


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks guys for sticking with me. It was really important for me to post today. AngelAloft



You must login () to review.