"Storm, Storm, where are ya?" Ororo Munroe get your sweet ass out here!" Logan yelled, as he marched through the front door of the boathouse.

She heard him from the master bedrooms brand new linen closet, where she was placing the extra bedding for whoever the occupant of the home was going to be. No way did she want to face him yet, especially with him calling out to her like his mean natured namesake. Wishing the closet had an escape hatch, reluctantly she closed the door and rubbed her temples in preparation for the coming barrage.

Logan followed his nose to the bedroom he knew she would be in. No doubt trying to avoid him at all costs. It wasn't going to happen. Not now that he had the true knowledge of what had come between him and his hearts desire.

The door stood open. Good. Saved him the second it would take to knock it down.

"We need ta talk darlin."

Still her back to him she looked to the ceiling and prayed to the goddess for strength. She would not and could not face him. "There is nothing left for us to talk about Wolverine, especially considering you are more a man of action than words."

Her cutting words hit their mark, but with the new information he now had, their penetration was not as stinging. He crossed the room in a few strides, reaching out to forcibly turn her to face him, without any hurt or harm. As with earlier this contact was not enough. He captured her mouth in the all too achingly familiar inferno he so missed and was damned if he would stop till he had his fill.

Apparently she had the same determination as he, she did not try to stop what her heart ached for so eagerly, but became a more than willing participant. All else be damned she would have this if it was all she could have of this infuriating man till their lips parted. Strong and controlled as she was, she was unable to stop the maelstrom of emotion that overflowed her soul, spilling forth in the tears that flowed down her cheeks unchecked.

As unwilling to stop his passionate onslaught as he was, Logan couldn't stand to know the pain that coursed through her, to the shedding of rare tears. "Don't...don't cry darlin. I'm sorry if I hurt ya. I never intended ta and...thanks ta Red I didn't have complete control either."

Roughly she pushed him away. Swiping angrily at the tears loosed from their prison of her soul. "You forget I know you Logan, you are a man who doesn't do anything he does not want to, and you are definitely free when it comes to expressing your passion. I only hope it was worth it.", she said, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, as cold fire danced in her blue eyes.

"Listen ta me darlin, what happened with Jean was not my doin'. She has been fuckin' with my head fer some time. Chuck just told me. There's no way darlin,...no way that I could ever want her or anyone else when I have you Ro."

As with the tears that now freely flowed, as the rain came down outside and the wind howled, unexpected words poured forth from her mouth, "Do you know how bad it hurts Logan? Do you know what it feels like to not be able to let out the pain you have locked up inside so that you can free yourself just to get a little relief from the hurt? Your mind is strong Logan. Even Charles can not access it easily with your permission. How much was manipulation and how much was purely your own nature? We all have a choice Logan."

Not once had he considered that he could still have some role in his betrayal with Jean. Quickly his heart gave his mouth the answer to her question. "Because darlin, when ya feel what I feel fer ya there is no way anyone else will ever do." Needing the contact with her, he reached out to grasp her by both arms with his massive hands. "I will say this only one time Storm, I aint beggin' ya ta believe me. If ya don't then ya can't trust in what ya know we have and I know ya can cause ya had ta feel the same thing that I do. Yer damn straight I'm a man of my passion...fer ya and ya alone...I love ya darlin, no one else and there's nothing I would do ta fuck that up. I didn't have much of a choice Ro, it got taken, just like so much in my life. I've looked, waited and wanted ya ta long ta carelessly throw it away on something I didn't want...or need. So yeah, she may have taken away my choice in my actions fer a moment, but no one can take away my love fer ya. Yer it fer me Ro, just ya." That was as close to begging as he had or would ever come.

Having said the hardest words to ever come from his mouth that he could remember, he did the next hardest thing, he released her and turned to walk away. Again. Each step he took making him feel the entire weight of his adamantium laced body in the soles of his feet.

Ororo stood, rooted to the spot. Her feet unable to move as heart pounded in her chest. Her mind crying out for her to run after the man who was taking the very reason for her existence with him. Her hand reaching up to touch the still there love bite he had given her weeks ago. Her thoughts unable to fathom why it still remained, with her own healing factor not allowing for any scarring on her flawless skin.

From the doorway of the bedroom Mofo now stood, centered in the entrance, looking at her as if she had lost her damn mind. Bracing his feet firmly on the floor he growled at her before lifting his head and barking fervently.

Eyes cold as ice that held an endless sorrow, looked back at him, as she slowly shook her head in the negative. Dry gasps quietly escaping her throat.

Sadly Mofo hung his head, emitting canine whimpers, as he followed his masters steps, but not before looking back with anticipation of a different response from the female he had come to know as his mistress. None coming he crept away. Now out of sight his whimpers became wailing howls.


"So I am told the work the two of you have done has been extraordinary. I look forward to seeing it all for myself." said Charles, as he sat once again in his office behind his imposing desk. Scott stood at his side again looking stoic as ever with his arms crossed over his chest.

Logan and Ororo occupied the chairs across from him as in weeks gone by, neither acknowledging the others presence with any showing of civility.

"I am however disappointed to see that the cohesiveness I was hoping for is still not manifest with the two of you. I understand there is quite the white elephant in the room, but we have overcome so much I was truly hoping that the two of you would be willing to get beyond even this last obstacle that has been placed in your path." Charles took the time to look from both Logan and Ororo, even to Scott standing beside him. Neither of them so much as moved a little finger.

"Very well then, as with all things I will remain optimistic that time will heal all wounds."

"Humph," coming from a sullen Wolverine.

"Typical," breathed a stiff postured weather goddess.

"Uh hem," Charles cleared his throat, "be things as they may, I would like to celebrate a job well done by having a housewarming of sorts at the boathouse. I'm sure your other team members would like to see what your talents have created. Scott assures me it is all amazing. Since the two of you have done all the hard work the party planning will be done by the rest of us. You are due a well deserved rest and will be the guests of honor, responsible for just enjoying yourselves. As our agreement is now complete, immediately following the festivities you may both return to the main house and life as you have known it."

Logan shifted in hs seat as he leaned forward placing both elbows on his muscled thighs, "Know ya have it all figured out that things are ta get back ta normal Chuck, but I aint sure that I am ta be a part of it." From the corner of his eye he subtlely eyed the blue eyed beauty beside him. "Not sure how long I'll be stayin' fer that return ta normal."

Ororo felt her heart rate speed up and her skin grow clammy. Breathing was becoming difficult. Never one to panic even in the midst of battle, controlling her emotions was now proving exhausting. Her voice broke with the slightest of quivers, "Charles if that is all."

"Ororo is there something you wish to add..."

"No, nothing at all. Now if you will please excuse me."

The room was growing exponentially smaller. Her feet couldn't get her to the door and outside fast enough. Once there she summoned her winds. He was leaving. For all his words of love, he was leaving. She wasn't worth fighting for. Just a momentary fancy after all. Lesson learned. Time to release all she held in, high up in the heavens. Once back on solid ground, she would be free to go on. A little wiser and a lot lonier than ever, but she would survive. Maybe.

Inside the professors office Scott let loose a torrent of profanity so unlike his character. Once done he tried to speak civilly again.

"So that's it. You're just gonna haul ass! Life gets tough and you bail. Doesn't matter what the fallout is you leave behind. Let someone else pick up the pieces, clean up you shit! I get it you asshole, Jean," his voice broke, "Jean did a number on you, but what have you done to Storm? For all of Jeans insecurities, Ororo is insecure as to whether or not she can actually be loved seeing as how she has to keep her emotions under constant scrutiny. The one time she lets go in a long while you prove to her that she is incapable of being loved, just fucking used.!"

"Scott, that is enough..."

"No professor it's not. Storms almost perfect control of her feelings keeps even you from knowing the pain she's in. A pain he could alleviate, as much as it pains me to say it."

"I don't need you or anyone else telling me about my daughter or her feelings Scott, I said enough!"

"Ya don't know shit dick. I already tried. She aint havin' it. Thanks ta yer scheming girlfriend, Ro won't give me a chance."

Taken a bit aback by the professors chastening, but the wind still strong in his sails Scott continued on, "I talked to Jean this morning Logan. I know what she did to you and to Storm, but if what you had with her was real how hard did you really try? Or is running just easier.?"

"I aint gonna beg one-eye. And I aint a glutton fer punishment. I'll leave it ta some other asshole ta wallow in misery." He stared at Scott. "Right now Ro don't want me and I aint gonna force myself on anyone. And if I were ya I wouldn't put ta much stock inta a damn thing Red says. Take it from me, life is a helluva lot better when ya don't."

Scott's hand went automatically to his visor. Forget all else Logan had said, he was still determined to hurt Ororo further and for that he had to pay.

Before he could act the professor reached up to grasp Scott's free wrist. *No son, that is not the X-men way. Logan is in as much pain as our dear Ororo and for the time being they are both at a loss as to which way to go. Logan is mated for life to Ororo and though he will never show it, the hurt he feels is also indescribable..*

The words were never spoken out loud, but telepathically to Scott, who for his part reluctantly brought his hand down from his visor.

"Whatever ya were thinking of doin' Scooter, trust me, I already thought of doing worse ta myself, just won't do a damn bit a good. So go ahead take yer best shot. Just be real sure ta make it count." Logan finished with a sneer.

"To hell with you Logan and the shit train you rode in on. You don't deserve to breathe the same air she does." Scott couldn't take it anymore. Just like Ororo, the room was too small for the two of them. Anger spurring him on and the need to find Storm, he too took his leave of the professor's office.

"Will you at least promise me that you will stick around until the housewarming? I'm sure for such an occasion we can allow a few libations in the form of shall we say...the adult variety." Charles knew it was a weak attempt to get Logan to stay, but it was worth a shot. His X-men could not be fractured. The loss of the Wolverine to the team would be too great at any time. He was too important to the cause to now be a casualty. And his daughter need not suffer anymore due to his absence.

Knowing the lame excuse Charles offered to help him save face to be near the heart he would be leaving behind, was reason enough to take the bait. Hell he was a dead man anyway.

"Don't expect much more from me professor. I aint never been a masochist and I don't plan on startin' now."

The same as Ororo and Scott, the room having grown stifling, Logan left without another word. The road called to him for a long ride.

Charles knew his daughter. She was not just hurt, but very proud. And he had more than an inkling about the character of the Wolverine. Two stubborn yet passionate people. Both fueled by intense feelings that they tried to hide and suppress. Both unable to keep up the pretense forever. Maybe a little anger would be just the catalyst required to pull them both out of their self imposed isolations. After all wasn't it anger that got them to the place where they had to face their feelings for one another.

Charles steepled his index fingers under his chin. Contemplating the coming events, and hopeful enlightenments.





You must login () to review.