Author's Chapter Notes:
Still don't own them so please please don't sue me.
Authors quick note, I have had this revised and sitting on my computer for months. Just didn't want this to come across as sappy or too corny. Please no flaming arrows or darts. Oh what the heck I'm a big girl.



The night had passed in quiet stillness. That is after the distant booms of thunder and beautiful display of lightening had passed.

The morning light had met with the darkness to melt away what had been, to start something fresh and anew.

Not surprisingly the loud torque rumbling of Logan's bike entering the long drive was the sound that greeted many of the slumbering residents. Mofo's excited barking rivaled the cacophony of his masters return from the night before.

Though the hour was early Logan knew just where he would find her. The object of his constant torment and the source of his greatest joy.

He parked the bike at the edge of the path towards the river, deciding to walk the rest of the way, needing the time to give him the guts to do what he determined.

Not long ago he had made this same trek as a man walking to his death. Now he made it as a man running to the only thing that could save his life. His steps no less heavy, his heart closer to bursting, knowing his true chance at a life or emotional death was held in the balance.
___

She knew he would come. Something from deep within echoing the reality of his soon coming approach. With all that she could muster from the uncertainty that warred within her she watched. Waited.
___

The walk never felt so long. Maybe he was mistaken and should have continued on on his bike. He was never known for slowness, but for rushing in headlong..., now getting to his destination was taking an interminable amount of time.
___

She held her place upon her makeshift perch. Head hung low in silent supplication. Courage to face possible humiliation and disappointment was her urgent need. Sink or swim, fly or fall...she had to try. Sleep had not been her companion last night, there was work to be done. Though she was tired the drain was more emotional than physical. To calm frayed nerves a gentle breeze began to blow.
___

Loss of sleep contemplating his last ditch effort to have the life he wanted was a small price to pay. Besides his body just rejuvenated itself anyway from the lack of rest. He had nothing left to lose and everything to gain. Reputation, self respect and pride be damned, he had been at fault and if he had to beg, plead, grovel he would. Better that than the sure thing of life as it was now. It was a chance...an opening, one final hope.

Mofo ran ahead of him, knowing where he was going. His tail wagged with excitement and his tongue hung out to one side as he panted with seeming happiness. He sensed that his master was back, the take no prisoners, all else be damned and just don't give a shit - take control master.

His footsteps finally stopped. His eyes took in the vision before him. For a moment it was as though he had to learn to breathe.
___

She knew he was there. Slowly she rose from her perch. Their eyes met and locked on one another. Something in her brain gave her lungs a kick start to continue breathing and her heart the thump to resume beating.
___

Even though he wanted to sprint the short distance between them his feet started on their journey once again taking long strides. He wanted...no he needed her in his arms. But his steps faltered.
___

Seeing his rapid advance she held her arm out to stop it as she shook her head...no.
___

At once he was quickly dying. If not for his adamantium skeleton he would surely be in a heap upon the ground.
___

The place she had been sitting was the makeshift music platform the kids had set up the day before. Now she walked up to a microphone Bobby had set up and stood behind it. Her head once again hung low.

Two bodyless hands reached up on the borrowed sound board from the mansion and flipped a switch after she tapped the microphone head. Music streamed from the speakers.

Mofo ran forward as if to get a front row seat and plopped onto his belly on the ground before her.

Logan stood in his tracks still unable to move. His keen eyes locked to her simplest of moves.

For the second time in his life he heard the amazing sound of her voice singing as she unhurriedly raised her head to look him in the eyes once more, her graceful melody filling the air. The first part a little timidly, but the last two verses showing her growing confidence in her words with impassioned expression.

-I feel weak, we've been here before
Cause I feel we keep going back and forth
Maybe it's over, maybe we're through (her head leaned to one side with a nod and shoulder shrug)
But I honestly can say
I still love you
___

Logan swallowed the lump in his throat; hard. Noticing the breeze pick up slightly. A cautious lightness threatening his heart at her last words.

-Maybe we've reached the mountain peak
And there's no more left to climb
And maybe we lost the magic peace
And we're both too blind to find.

As in the garage from a couple days ago, Ororo lifted her arms from her side, not in frustration, but in uncertainty. Still her voice gained in volume and strength. The sound as beautiful as he remembered.

-Let's start over
Let's give love their wings
Let's start over
Stop fighting bout the same old thing
Let's start over
We can't let our good love die
___

Mofo jumped to his feet going round and round in circles. The breeze now a strong wind, bending tree branches in its wake. Ororo's hair lifted and tossed. Her hip hugging peasant skirt billowing as if a beautiful sail. Unshed rivers pooling in her eyes.

-Maybe we can start all over (a strong gasp of breath escaped Logan's lungs, unashamedly tears began to flow down his face, not once did he try to wipe them away, he was paralyzed by the words she was saying and as always the vision he beheld)
Give love another life

-I can see that we're not happy here
So why would we keep pretending that there's nothing
there
Maybe you like it, well I don't
And maybe you'll settle, well I won't (at this Logan raised a single brow, his mind still attune to her voice and the words)

-Maybe we reached the mountain peak
And there's no more left to climb
And maybe we've lost the magic peace
And we're both too blind to find

-Let's start over (almost like a child she stomped her bare foot, wanting to soar into the heavens for the whole world to hear her declaration to this man, bold and unapologetic,...still she remained grounded; barely)
Let's give love their wings
Let's start over
Stop fighting bout the same damn thing (moved by her emotions she changed the one word, the musics tempo fueled both of their overworked feelings)
Let's start over
We can't let our good love die (Logan could stand no more, slowly he sank to his knees as he listened and watched the love of his life shed all of her pride to offer herself freely to him, who deserved not an ounce of her gift. It was more than he deserved, more than he could bear. But he'd be damned if he refused. Mofo came to his side panting, not taking his eyes off his mistress, but nuzzling his master)

-Maybe we can start all over
Give love another life

I know that this will hurt you
I know you'll cry
I know I called you selfish, but that's a lie
I feel I know what's best for us (again she held her hand out to him, in want not in heeding as her voice grew even stronger and the tears finally fell. As in months earlier she was a fearsome awe inspiring sight. This time there was no anger or lightening dancing at her fingertips. Just the gentle beckoning of two hearts to let go their rage and come home)

-Let's start over!
Let's give love their wings
Let's start over (Ororo's head shook back and forth, the frustration of everything she was feeling and wanting desperately to express taking hold)
I'm tired of fighting bout the same damn thing
Let's start over
We both know that this love won't die

Maybe we can start all over
Give love another life

Abruptly the music stopped. Ororo stood breathing hard, her chest heaving after pouring all she had into her offering of herself to the man she loved. Looking him in the eyes waiting;...again. Questioning.

Question answered!

In a flash Logan was on his feet and standing before her lifting her from the platform, welding her to his masculine frame, holding on for dear life before claiming her lips as her very soul in answer to her ridiculous inquiry. Her arms found their way around his neck as her legs wrapped around his waist. The wind continued to blow as he walked them round and round in their embrace.

As much as it pained them both, they knew they had to come back to earth, even though it wouldn't be so bad a place now with the other part of themselves connected once again. Reluctantly Logan lowered Ororo to the ground.

From somewhere afar off in the world they heard Mofo barking and...and...was that...clapping and shouts of joy?!

Opening their eyes they held onto one another silently mouthing the words 'I love you', they became aware they were not alone. Filling the treeline to the boathouse was a large audience of many of the mansions residents. All exuberantly cheering.

The disembodied hands Logan found out belonged to the only other one Ororo had asked for certain to be there, Bobby, but he had the other kids with him as well. In typical Bobby fashion word had spread like wildfire, with the help of one little firecracker, what Miss Munroe planned on doing and all wanted to be party to it. Thank goodness for the alarm clock awakening of Logan's bike and Mofo's barking.

Hank the Professor, Scott and surprisingly Jean held the front row of the treeline audience. Their attendance due to a new teleporting student with a devilish appearance. All of them smiling to outshine the sun. Jean's a little more subdued, but happy none-the-less.

Although they kept their sight on the happy couple in front of them, a silent conversation transpired between the two telepaths. 'Thank you for your willingness to be a part of bringing about this end.'

'It is only right Professor. Besides I was the owner of a beautiful home for a few hours. Such a small part to play in seeing them both so happy...and things,...as they ought to have been,' a quick gasp of breath escaped her lungs, tears forming in the corners of her eyes,...'in the first place.' Jean chanced a side glance to Charles, with a smile.

Astute as always, Charles didn't miss a thing. 'Yes Jean, but never underestimate the fine lines between the realm of human emotion. With the slightest turning rage becomes loving passion, hate insurmountable love and sadness incomparable joy.'

'I get it, I do. What I didn't before Professor I understand. And with your continued help I'm sure I'll get to where I need to be.'

'Not mine alone Jean, but all of us,...your family.'

"Whoo hoo, Wolvie loves Storm!", an exuberant shout from a crying Jubilee broke through the den of cheerers.

Laughter could be heard, albeit a little meekly, the kids not knowing if they could laugh at the fearsome Wolverine, who loudly growled the response, "Ya bet yer ass I do.", which happily provoked more laughter.

Truth be told many were wiping tears of joy. And many were surprised beyond speech. Still tired from waiting for the signal from Miss Munroe, Bobby and his cohorts all ambled back to the mansion and their beds. Their night of almost sleeplessness now well worth it.

The other young viewers followed their lead and headed back as well.

Ororo and Logan made their way over to the older X-men and Charles.

A one arm hug and kiss on the cheek exchanged between Ororo and Scott. Masculine back pats exchanged between Hank, Scott and Logan, who had yet to relinquish his hold upon Ororo.

Jean stepped forward towards Ororo, but was stopped by a stern telepathic halt, 'Don't want yer scent on Ro right now...no offense, just don't need the reminder is all.' Logan imparted to her while looking only at Storm. Jean had the grace to blush understandably and back away.

Charles cleared his throat.

Though he had held back Charles now held his closed hand out to Logan. "With Ororo's permission I would like you to hold onto these for a while.", inside his now upturned palm were the keys to the boathouse.

Logan looked from Charles' hand to Jean, whose blush darkened, as she smiled shyly offering a nod of her head.

Storm squeezed his hand. "Whatever you want dear heart."

"On one condition Chuck," Logan's eyes traveled the group left standing there.

Charles borrowed a page from the Logan handbook and raised one brow.

"If ya all give Ro and me a while longer on our banishment. When we're ready we'll come find ya, till then don't bother knockin'."

Ororo elbowed him hard in the ribs.

"What,?" he had the impish nerve to act surprised, "I'm just sayin darlin."

On that note Hank and Jean laughed and turned to leave following the path of the children. Both knew the alone time they needed was well deserved.

"Same old Logan, I see." Scott chimed in.

"What expect me ta be different now just cause..."

"Cause what I know you went out and bought..."

"Okay! Okay damn it! Would ya mind if Ro and I had some time alone fer a while." Logan changed his tune instantly at Scotts words.

Scott beamed.

The Professor cleared his throat suspiciously behind his hand.

Ororo bent down giving Charles a hug. "Take care my dear, do not forget this old man is near and misses you already."

Scott leaned in to give Logan a manly hug, but whispered in his ear, "I am trusting you with my heart, hurt it again...no one will remember who you were."

"Trust me Cyke, I'd rather cut out my own heart than ever try. I'd be a fool."

Logan took the keys from Charles, he and Storm turned and walked toward the boathouse.

Before going inside Logan yelled back to the now departing Scott, "Cyke, from now on I'm the wisest man on the planet!"

Mofo lay at the front door as if a sentinel on duty, just as the doors slammed shut and a giggling Ororo was heard inside, just before a growl and something glass crashed to the floor.



the song is (Start Over) by Beyonce. If you haven't heard it look it up on the net and give it a listen, one of my favorites. AA





You must login () to review.