Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi shejams, I'm happy to see you are hanging in there with me. You were the first to review and it's helping me to post as quickly as I can. Thank you to all of you who have taken time to do so. Here's chapter 4 hope you like it.

As always I don't own please don't sue
The institute had all too quickly taken on the empty nest feeling it always did when the children left for summer break. Those who were live in residents with no homes to return to were too few in number to fill the spaces all those who had homes left behind.

There were hollow echo's now where there had been children laughing or talking.

Though her classroom, with its atrium style windows, still allowed the bright sunlight entrance as if in welcome to her students, Ororo now sat in solemn contemplation, dreading what the end of this school year meant.

She wasn't looking forward to her impending isolation, for goddess knows how long, with that infuriating man. How in the world was she going to get through it? During the meeting with the professor, in which she had been called on the carpet, she had held her tongue realizing the error of her hasty actions. Even in the midst of the most violent confrontaions as a member of the X-Men, she never let her emotions over-rule her head in the use of her powers. Just when she thought she had found level footing with living her life as a mutant with powers she never asked for, but truly did not want to live without, along came Logan, making her heart and head betray her.

"Uughh, get it together Ororo, you can do this!" she said thinking out loud.

"What can you do?" Jean asked, as she entered Ororos classroom.

"Jean...you startled me."

"Not too difficult to do, seeing as how you were lost in your own world just now."

"Don't mind me, I just have a lot on my mind...you know since I'm going up the river in less that two days." Ororo tilted her head to the side and rolled her eyes.

"Ha, ha, ha." Jean laughed. "Scott seems quite pleased with himself for helping the professor come up with an adequate punishment to fit your crime."

"Oh yeah, remind me to thank him later."

"Will that be the kind of thank you that got you in your present predicament, and has turned you into a rambling idiot?"

"Do shut up Jean, let me have that moment of happiness before my life gets tossed upon the sea of despair."

Jean shook her head and laughed again. "You know this might not be as bad as you think it will be."

Ororo looked at Jean as if she had farted and fanned it in her direction.

"O...kay, strike that last comment."

"Seriously, what am I going to do Jean?"

Without hesitation, Jean went around the desk to where Ororo sat and bent down embracing her in a warm hug, "What we always do as X-Men, we get in, do the job and get out."


Logan had ridden nearly seventy-miles before turning around and heading back to the institute. The usual peace a long ride on his bike normally brought him, never came. Now he sat on the ground, his back against the garage door frame a beer dangling from one hand. Mofo his ever present companion rested his head on Logans thigh as his tail swished back and forth, every once in a while peeking at his master glad he was home.

Logan knew he had fucked up. It was inevitable. The equation never changed, Logan plus females equals fuck up. But now with Ro of all females! He had to go and kiss her and damn she had tasted good! Her lips were like velvet and he was left feeling intoxicated. He hadn't lied when he said he wanted to do it again. Then the resident busy body had shown up and to keep her from running and telling tales that weren't accurate, he had backed off. No one knew all the desire he had felt for Jean had long ago been doused, when he finally took his head out of his ass and saw her for what she was. Not that she wasn't a good person, but she was insecure when it came to Ororo. Ro was the real beauty in the mansion, who chose to let the runner-up shine. Jean was always noticed because she was the one who sought the limelight, her ego needing the attention and applause. Thus the longevity of his and her cat and mouse game, even though she claimed love for Scott.

If he could kick his own ass he would.

Maybe if he tried looking at things from another angle there might be a glimmer of hope. Let's see...his dog tortures Ro,...she tries to murder him...he kisses her...she responds...Jean shows up, he backs off...Ro's left probably feeling used...yep, same equation...fuck up!

Mofo whimpered and his tail stopped, "Whatta ya want popsicle, and it better be good?"

Bobby Drake the resident Iceman, casually approached Logan, well aware there was no sneaking up on the Wolverine. "Hey Logan, I was told to let you know the cookout is starting up in an hour and Scott wants to know if you're signing up for any of the duties?"

"What's left needing doin'?"

"Nothing much really except no one wants to man the grill as usual." Bobby smiled, "You know me, can't afford to melt out here." he said smiling.

"Yeah right...don't worry bout it, I guess I can do that."

Bobby gave Logan a sideways glance remembering to ask, "Oh yeah, the guys are choosing sides for a b-ball game...should we put your name in?" he asked hopeful he'd get a positive response from his secret idol.

Logan cocked his head to the side and spared a look at Bobby. "Hell naw, now beat it kid."

"Ah okay, I'll just tell Cyclops you have the grill covered."

"Yeah , ya do that freeze pop."

Spotting movement in the bushes, Mofo stood, looked at Logan briefly and took off towards them.

Logan thought to himself, 'I wouldn't want to be with me either fella.'


The end of school year barbecue was a great success. Perfect weather, good food and games with the overall feeling of family did wonders to boost everyone's spirits. It was never easy saying goodbye to friends and students, not knowing for sure if they would return.

The younger residents of the house, Peter, Bobby, Warren, Jubilee, Kitty and Tabitha, not wanting to hang with the oldsters, opted to relax by the pool with each other (the cool crowd), as things had begun to wound down.

After helping with much of the clean up, Ororo now lay back on a patio chaise next to the man, who was in every way a father to her except by blood, Charles Xavier. Jean occupied another chaise, while Scott, Hank and Logan sat at a patio table, both Scott and Hank playing cards.

At that moment all was right with the world, there was no mutant bias and everyone could breathe a calming breath at just being alive.

"You know my dear, it has been far too long since you have granted this old man the pleasure of one of your most amazing gifts." Charles had spoken, looking to Ororo, who didn't even want to think about what he was requesting.

All heads turned to her as she tried to become one with the chaise.

"It's been a while sis, but I am always your willing partner." Scott beamed, even as he jumped to his feet and ran inside the mansion, not missing the glare Ororo threw his way before he could disappear.

"Have I mentioned to anyone that Scott and I have been considering..." Jean started saying, as she was interrupted by Hank. The frown that crossed her face not going unseen by Logans steel eyes.

"Pardon me Jean but what are we missing here that our compatriots' are privy to and we are not?" Hank asked, his curiosity piqued as well as Logans even more so.

"Oh...goddess." Ororo sighed, with unfeigned modesty.

Logan a silent party to the conversation, was anxious to know what Chuck and one-eye knew about the snow haired goddess that he didn't , but wasn't about to ask.

With fatherly authority, Charles shushed Ororo, "Few are aware of the fact that our Ororo has a hidden talent. She has kept it to herself not wanting attention or praise, but when we are fortunate enough to coax it out of her it is something that you will never forget."

Scott came back out to the gathering holding a guitar, still smiling uncharacteristicly broad. "Ready when you are sis." he said, using the title he called her when they were in relaxed company. "What'll it be?'

Resigned to there being no way out, she rose and whispered into Scotts ear. She then leaned against the deck railing as Scott took a seat on the steps and began to strum his guitar with a Spanish melody. As if in silent dedication she looked to Charles with a warm smile, then said, "This is for my family."

All of my life
I've been searching
For someone to find me
I have been looking
Waiting for your arms
To pull me

You took me
In from the cold
And out of the dark
You have taken me
Into your heart

Chorus
You are my home
You are the one that I come to
You are the shelter I run to
To keep me safe from the cold
You are my home
You are the love
That completes me
You are the touch
That has freed me
I look in your eyes
And I know
You are my home

Ororo sang out each word with such emotion and beauty the kids had gathered on the steps near Scott and didn't make a sound. Charles' eyes were filled with so much pride, one would think he was ready to burst from it. Jean and Hank sat with their eyes closed, basking in the beauty of her voice and music.

Logan leaned forward in his chair and felt once again lost in the enigma that was this amazing woman. His exceptional hearing picking up the perfection in the tone of her magnificent voice. He wanted more than anything for the song to be dedicated to him alone, and for everyone else to fade into the shadows for a time, allowing him sole ownership of the moment.

You were the light in the window
When I couldn't find my way
You led my heart to
Want them to place me
Here beside you

You are where I always will be
You are where I belong
I've been looking for you
For so long

The song continued on to chorus then she sang a few lines in Spanish flooring everyone even further. Scott played, showing his musical prowess on the strings till he faded out easily.

For a moment, when the duo finished, you could hear a pin drop, it was so silent. The girls had tears streaming down their faces, Bobby and Hank included. Peter and Warren were the first to break out in loud applause and whistles, as the others followed.

Feeling suddenly self-conscious, Ororo leaned down to kiss Scotts cheek before doing the same to Charles, who she also returned a tight bear hug to. Bidding goodnight wishes, she made a hasty exit citing to all she had packing to complete.

Logan had to talk to her. He felt the pressing need to make things right. Heading toward the same door she had entered, he found himself blocked by a very much unwanted interference...Jean was holding his forearm to halt his progress after Ro.

Desiring to shake her off, but proving himself a surprising gentleman, he just lifted her offending hand and gruffed out, "Not now Jeanie." and he continued after Ororo.

Jean stood on the deck watching as he hurried through the deck door as if the mansion was on fire.

Once Logan reached the back stairs, where he was sure Ororo would have traveled, as his nose gave him hint, he knew he was too late to catch her before she had reached her room. Not being brave enough to knock on her door, he headed for the garage and his bike. Another ride was calling to him. This time he knew in advance, peace would not be coming.

From somewhere on the grounds he heard Mofo howling.


Chapter End Notes:
PLEASE REVIEW

Song You are my home by Vanessa Williams and Chayanne (pop version)



You must login () to review.