Mystique had shown them where they kids were and the path they would have to follow. Storm, Sabretooth and Nightcrawler walked through the tunnels, covering the distance in record time. Nightcrawler was right at home, racing as easily along the walls and ceiling as the floor, as limber crouched on all fours as standing erect on both legs. Storm wasn't anywhere near as confident. She didn't like being underground or in confined spaces. Having Sabretooth around wasn't helping much either. She had thought that she'd put those childhood fears behind her, and didn't appreciate discovering that she might have been wrong. They finally reached a door that led somewhere.

"Help us!" Someone cried. They turned that direction. "Someone!"

The cries got louder as they got closer.

"Jubilee?" Storm called as they approached a hole that held the children. It was barred on top to prevent any of them from escaping- even if she could help them at all with her powers, there wasn't enough volume of air to allow to get rid of the barred manhole also.

"Storm," Jubilation Lee replied with obvious relief. Several of the other kids started crying to be let out.

"Okay, okay, we're comin'," Storm said. She turned to Nightcrawler, but he had already disappeared.

XX

Artie was the last one out. "I'm think I'm gonna be sick."

He barfed. Storm cleaned his face with a small cloud she manifested. The room shook, and she decided the quicker they were quits of this awful place the better they were all concerned for. "Can we trust him?" Jubilee asked, indicating Sabretooth. Thankfully, she was with the other five students, so he didn't flash that sadistic smile of his at them- at least, that was what Storm hoped was the reason. She gave Sabretooth a warning glare that told him to leave the children out of this. If he wanted to mess around, better do it with someone who could control lightning first hand than to make her angry and have her get involved.

She started off down the hall with Artie and Jubilee behind her, followed by the other children and Nightcrawler. After about two minutes of walking, one of the children cried out followed by one more by Artie. Storm stopped to turn around and see what was going on, but her senses kicked in too late as she sensed Sabretooth heading for her. He caught her head on, knocking the wind out of her.

Before she recovered, Sabretooth had his hand around her neck. Add being held hostage to her claustrophobia, and it was a recipe for disaster. This, Jubilee knew. "Get away from her!" She screamed at him. She shot "fireworks" at him, which didn't do much except burn him. His skin healed pretty quickly- a lot like Wolverine's.

Storm would've told Jubilee that had her windpipe not been clogged. But, she didn't even notice Jubilee's sparks as her claustrophobia went to the extreme. Nightcrawler would've teleported in and out in a snap, but that would risk her neck snapping since Sabretooth had her in a vice like grasp. Flickers of lightning started to come out of her eyes, and Jubilee knew what was about to happen. "Everyone, get back, now!"

"Vhy?" Kurt asked.

"Just trust me on this," Jubilee said desperately, "you don't want to know, or deal with the after affects. Get behind me."

Kurt did, and it was a good thing too. Not a moment later, a series of lightning bolts struck around Storm and Sabretooth, followed by one that was blinding. It took a few seconds and several blinks for their eyes to adjust back to normal. When they did, Sabretooth was lying on the wall opposite of Storm who was sprawled on the floor.

"Storm," Jubilee said, walking over to her teacher. She knelt down and started to shake her shoulder. "Storm, please, wake up, wake up."

Storm woke with a start. "Easy, Storm," Jubilee said. "It's okay. He's down. He's not waking up anytime soon, judging by the burns your lightning bolts gave him."

"Jub...bilee?" Storm asked. Jubilee forgot that she was usually a little disoriented and sometimes incoherent after a claustrophobia attack.

"Yeah, it's me."

"What happened?"

"Short story without freaking you out is that you had a claustrophobia attack." She helped Storm sit up. "I won't go into the details. Can we get out of here?"

Storm nodded as she got up. Jubilee noticed that Sabretooth was no longer on the ground. She looked at Nightcrawler who had a smile on his face. He must have teleported Sabretooth somewhere before Storm could get a look and freak out again. The kids huddled around Storm and after a brief moment, they started off again.





You must login () to review.