Disclaimer: Marvel owns them all. I do not.


As far as everyone knew, Logan had spent the whole night in the garage. The incessant banging and clanging noises coming from the space the only proof that it was occupied. No one went in to check on him, or speak to him. The only people that really would, Jean and Ororo were both in their own worlds. All Jean knew is that Logan hadn't come to see her all day. Usually she didn't have to seek his attention, he was always at her side, and the fact that she would have to go look for him irked her. Ororo remained in her room for the rest of the night, Logan not too far off her mind. She was irked as well, but unlike Jean she had had enough of Logan that day. It infuriated her that even though she had been blatantly rejected, she still could not get the roughish bachelor out of her mind.

Glaring at the machine Logan finally decided to call it a day. The hands on his watch told him it was almost 3 am. His bed was calling to him, but he refused to answer. It was to his great misfortune that he realized his room was only a few doors down from Ororos'. One thing he could not handle right now. There was always a certain scent radiating from her room and down the hallways. He could never place it, but it was some kind of flower. Usually it was pleasant and soothed him immediately. It had even gone so far that he had toyed with the idea of thanking her for keeping whatever it was that made her room and the hallway smell so good. But now it would only worsen his mood, because he knew behind those doors was the object of his obsession.

Obsession, he had never thought a woman could occupy his mind so much. However, Ororo was no ordinary woman. He had known that, as soon as he had laid eyes on her that first night. That is why he had been so weary, so hesitant to even retort to her snipe comment. If anyone else had told him to stay out of their way, they would have three more holes in their body. But he had smelled something on her that had made him nervous, and ever since that day he had tried to figure her out. Unfortunately it was harder than he thought. Just when he was certain that he had found the mold she had been created with, she would break it. The thing that happened with Jean, or finding out that she had been a common street thief at an early age, or what she had done tonight. It all was so strange, so intriguing. As far as he could tell she wasn't one kind of woman, she was all of them, every type he could think of. A heady combination that he didn't know if he could ignore for much longer. Growling in frustration he yanked his leather jacket off his bike and put it on. He stuck a cigar between his teeth and stepped into the cool early morning air.

"Read 'em and weep ladies and gentlemen. Three of a kind aces." Groans were heard all around the table as Ororo jumped up and did her little victory dance, then promptly slid all the chips in the middle of the table to her ever-growing stack. Her tongue stuck out of the corner of her lip in concentration and she seemed to be humming a little tune as she stacked the multi-colored pieces of plastic. "So what, is that the third time I've beaten all of you. Come on you guys, you're not even trying." Logan had been passing the room and had not missed Ororos display, which literally sent him screeching to a halt. Right then she had positively been the most adorable creature he had ever seen, and it sent a little pang through his heart. With great amusement he listened to the annoyed grumbles of the males around the table.

Leaning against the doorway to the room he assessed the situation. Jean was sitting by herself in one of the many chairs, pretending to read her book but instead sent furtive glances over at Ororo every so often. Ororo seemed in too good a mood to even bother looking over at her female teammate. The subject of her joy was the fact that she had successfully won all the chips at the table, much to the mens dismay. "Maybe we need some fresh blood at the table. Jean you want to play?" That statement had come as a shock to everyone, and the bigger shock was when Jean stood up from her perch and sat down at one of the chairs surrounding the table.

This could get mighty interestin', Logan thought to himself as he wordlessly walked into the room and took a seat across from Ororo. She arched one regal eyebrow curiously in his direction and he watched as a stray silver-white lock fell over her gleaming bright eyes. Licking her top lip she smirked at him. "Do you want to play Logan?" Her tone was husky and sweet, making his head reel with the heady under-tones of the statement.

"I do indeed darlin', but how about we play by my rules."

"I don't play by anyone else's rules, just my own."

The table watched the scene between the two teammates curiously. Without a word Hank stood up and walked out. He could never stomach this kind of interaction between the two of them. In his opinion Logan was paying way too much attention to Ororo. But Ororo had made it clear to him that his opinion on her life was not needed or wanted, so he promptly left, mumbling something to himself the whole way. The rest of the group dwindled off as well until only Scott, Jean, Ororo and Logan were left.

"So what are these rules of yours Logan." Batting her eyelashes, Jean placed her hand casually on Logans. It took all of Ororo's strength not to groan in annoyance, her eyes rolling heavenward. Now, now, play nice. Their eyes met for a second, and in that second Logan thought he saw something new in the depth of her eyes. But it quickly disappeared.

"Well you can keep playing as many games as you want, but you can only lose three times. After the third time, the person you lose to gets to make you do one thing for them. It's kind of like strip poker, only you don't lose clothes on each hand. Plus, this way there's a lot more possibilities." He caught her gaze one more time and this time he watched as an ice cube traveled down her neck and dangerously close to the material of her low cut shirt. A shiny trail of water teased him, as droplets danced down her mocha toned skin. All right, you want to play, let's play.





You must login () to review.