A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #10, Something New, pt.1

Xavier Estate, Southampton
July 3rd, 2004
8 a.m.


Charles looks up from his desk littered with papers, as a firm knock comes to the door of his downstairs study. He knows who it is, but still appreciates the respect of privacy the knock signified. ‘Come in, Erik.’

Quietly slipping in, Xavier’s long-time friend carried a large black briefcase with him as he came up to the desk. He noticed Charles glance at it but not show too much emotion facially. “I’m sorry I couldn’t make it last night, Charles. The traffic”“

“I can imagine. That’s alright, though; you didn’t miss much…” There was an odd little smile at the corners of his mouth as Charles said this, and Erik’s somewhat worried expression plainly said he really, really didn’t want to know.

“Well, at any rate, here’re the papers we talked about. I faxed them over to Sean late last night, and just like you said, he was up early enough to get them back to me before I left this morning.” Erik popped the shiny ebony case open and rifled through it momentarily as he spoke.

Charles reached out a hand, accepting the tan-colored folder. He simply stared at it for a moment before sighing a little, and opening it up to sift through its contents absently. Quietly, Erik watched him, reading the internal dialogue Charles was surely having.

When Xavier reluctantly closed the folder, Erik murmured, “Did you get a chance to talk to her about it?”

Charles shook his head, still looking at the folder, then set it apart from the rest of the mess on his desk before answering, “No. I didn’t want to get into it at the celebration last night, and they didn’t get back afterwards until it was rather late, so I decided to let her get some sleep.”

Erik gave Charles an expression that clearly said he thought that was a cop-out, but his tone was somewhat sympathetic. “You’ve got to talk to Ororo before we leave, Charles; you only have another couple of weeks.”

“I know that, Erik.” His tone was perhaps a little harsher than intended, but that only told Magnus how fatigued his friend really was.

“Is it that you think she won’t agree to it?”

“No, it’s not really that. I just don’t want to remind her that her father is dying by bringing this up; especially now.”

Erik’s brow rose as Charles slowly wiped his face in a tired way. “What’s that supposed to mean? What happened?”

Charles shook his head, a hand motioning absently in some measure of disbelief. “Nothing…yet. But I’ll get into that in a moment. Let me sign the papers first, and I’ll tell you everything.”



Upstairs, where it is still quiet, not too many of the visiting guests to Xavier’s have risen to the morning yet. The halls are too quiet, as the early morning shadows barely peek through windows and curtains, caressing slumbering forms to rise.

Knock-Knock-Knock.

Ororo rolled over onto her belly, peering out from beneath a down pillow. Her lithe brown body was hopelessly wrapped up in a series of sheets on the king-sized bed, and sometime during the night her satin band had made its way off of her ponytail, so her hair was wild all over her shoulders and head, partially in her eyes. She blinked several times; still groggy and believing she’d imagined that horrible interruption.

As her slightly red-rimmed blue eyes finally focused on the sunlight filtering in across the room through the French-style doors of her private terrace, she heard it again, only a little more persistent.

‘Oh, for heaven’s sake…’ She grabbed the pillow, squeezing it over her face as she groaned before calling out, “Yes..?

The knob turned quietly, and her younger sister’s face appeared from behind the mahogany door. Upon seeing Ororo’s body stir on the bed, she slid inside, closing the door and bouncing over to her. “Yer not up yet?”

“No Marie…I most certainly am not.” She pulled the pillow down, her expression a mix of surprise & jealous annoyance at her sister’s wide-eyed exuberance. She couldn’t understand how peppy Marie was, considering they hadn’t gotten back from club-hopping until well after 3 a.m.

Landing hard on the bed beside her, Marie chuckled as Ororo let out a faint groan, rolling away to vainly try burying herself deeper in the bed linens. Pulling her protective pillow away, Marie grinned at Ororo’s murderous look. Her eyes sparkled with impish glee as she said excitedly, “Well…?”

Ororo turned back to her, looking over her shoulder quizzically for a moment before answering, “Hmm? What?”

“Oh, don’t ‘hmm, what’ me, Sugah; spill it.”

Fully facing her, Ororo’s look was genuinely curious. “Marie, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.”

Lightly smacking Ororo with the stolen pillow, Marie huffed, “Yeah ya do. Who is he?”

A look of mild shock registered on Ro’s face as her mind suddenly cleared, and she got an idea who Marie was talking about. “H-How did you”?”

(laughs) Ah guess you were too distracted by rugged good looks to r’member your telepathic sistah. Although, Betts kept it to herself for a minute, ‘till I dragged her inta’ the ladies’ room to spill it.” Marie was giving Ororo this weird look, her eyes shining like a kid at Christmas…or a nosy schoolgirl about to get the scoop of the century.

Sitting up against the headboard, Ororo tried to organize her thoughts; some of her memories from the night before were still hazy (she made a mental note to lay off the Cosmopolitans when she went out from now on). With a narrowed gaze, she evaluated Marie. “Okay, lemme get this straight; I meet a guy and you’re the one acting ‘sprung’??”

Marie laughed at Ororo’s use of slang, pointing to her. “Ah-ha! So you did meet somebody! Ah told Beth it couldn’a ’been that innocent.”

Ororo put her hand up to her head, covering her eyes for a moment as she asked, “Please don’t tell me you were all watching?”

“No…unfortunately. Scott could’a done well t’turn around an’ get a look, though.” She muttered, her gaze falling off for a second.

“Marie! That’s not why I was talking to”you know, I’m not getting into this with you.” Ororo stood up, going toward the bathroom as she desperately tried to end the line of questioning.

“Whoa, whoa-whoa…” Marie turned her body to follow Ororo’s movements, “ya can’t leave me hangin’ like that”what’s his name? How’d ya meet? Where’s he from?”

She could hear a loud groan from her sister in the bathroom. Ororo splashed water on her face to wake her fully, and took her time toweling dry before she re-emerged at the door. Fixing Marie with a look, she said “You know, I’ve got some questions for you too, girl. For starters, why you and Robert seemed joined at the hip after we left Lolita’s.”

“…” Marie turned her head a little, looking out the doors to the terrace as she whistled softly.

“Uh huh, just what I thought.” Ororo tossed the hand towel back into the bathroom, and came out to the bed. Settling against the stack of pillows, she shook her head at Marie. “What’s good for the goose, little sister.”

Rolling her eyes, Marie lifted her shoulders like a child who’d been caught in the cookie jar. “What kin Ah say? We were havin’ fun. We’ve known Bobby fer years, Ro. It’s nothin’.”

“He’s cute, ambitious, loves to party just as much”or more than”you do, and he isn’t Remy.” She ticked off the points on her fingers, watching Marie’s reaction to each one.

“Well, when ya put it like that…” Marie responded sarcastically.

Ororo laughed a little, leaning over to lay a hand on her sister’s knee. “Doesn’t feel good to get the third degree, does it?”

Her eyes softening, Marie amended, “Sorry, Sug. I just got a little over-excited at the prospect of Scott gettin’ kicked to the curb, is all. Won’t happen a’gin.”

Chuckling even harder, Ororo corrected, “Scott isn’t getting kicked anywhere; he’d have to still be in the house to get kicked out to the curb.”

“Good.”

“Besides,” Ororo smirked at Marie’s comment, “This isn’t about Scooter. This guy…he’s…”

Marie watched, as Ororo reached for the words, but seemed to come up empty. She waited patiently, carefully watching her sister’s reaction to this mysterious stranger. A guy Ororo admitted to barely knowing was twisting her tongue up in knots? ‘This must be serious.’

Finally giving in, Ororo lowered her gaze to her hands, as she focused on examining her fingernails. “…I don’t know, Marie. I don’t know. I mean, he’s hot”anyone can see that”but when he looks at me, I just…Just, you know??”

Marie couldn’t help a sympathetic chuckle at her lack of articulation. “What was that you were sayin’ about being ‘sprung’?”

Giving up trying to express herself, Ororo turned on her side, wondering why her mind seemed to go into a temporary lapse whenever she thought about Logan. “There’s some kind of…of connection”that’s the word I’m looking for. But I don’t know why.”

“Yer drawn to ‘im.” Marie studied her face; it was a statement rather than a question.

“Yes…I am.” Ororo whispered it like it was a secret. She suddenly looked up at her sister, and could feel her face warm in embarrassment. It had been quite a while since she and Marie had had conversations like this. Usually it was Marie doing all of the spilling (of course about Remy or some jerk she was trying to get to take LeBeau’s place) and ‘Ro doing the listening. She liked being the sympathetic ear, the ‘older, wiser sister’ much better than the patient on the couch.

“So,” Marie’s voice broke through, “When are ya gonna see him a’gin?”

Giving that some thought, Ro’s expression changed to uncertainty. “I think that’s going to be up to him.”



About an hour later, Logan opened up his front door to the faces of General Jason Ackens and Nathaniel Wallace, from the Pentagon. Neither man was exactly sure what to expect upon actually seeing the colonel in person after so long, but their surprised expressions told Logan a lot. He could see their relief that he hadn’t opened the door in a wife-beater and dirty sweatpants with his hair down his back.

“Wallace. Jase.” Logan almost never addressed the Gen. by his title unless they were in the presence of ranked inferiors, and this time was no exception. He stepped to the side to allow them entrance to the foyer, and both calmly went past him.

“Logan.”

“Colonel.” Wallace was all business as he preceded the General, shamelessly looking around the house as he entered; almost as if he expected to see something horrific.

Closing the door, Logan led the way into his study”which still housed books bought mostly by Jean and some that had belonged to Amahra. He didn’t use the room much”then or now”but thought it would look more professional than the living room or kitchen. Turning to them after gesturing seats, he asked, “Get ya something to drink?”

Both men declined, but inwardly Jason was pleased with Logan’s performance thus far; he just hoped it was a genuine one, and he hadn’t put some serious credibility w/ his higher-ups on the line for nothing. “No thanks, Logan. We’re not going to be here that long.”

Logan’s brow came up at that; he was expecting a lot of questions. “Oh?”
“It’s not what you think.” Wallace raised a hand to steer Logan’s thoughts away from any negative conclusions.

Logan looked at the man, almost asking in his most sarcastic tone just what the pencil-necked moron thought he was thinking. The flash of attitude disappeared almost as quickly as it had come up, though; he knew enough to keep his mouth shut until they explained themselves. Then if he didn’t like what they said, he could let his gums go flappin’.

Ackens glanced between the two, having realized a long time ago that Logan’s fuse was short, but especially with anyone not directly inside the ranks of the DoD’s* covert ops. division “Section X”. Meeting with a Pentagon official had been a stipulation, however; along with some other terms. “Logan, we’re not here to jerk your chain or nothin’. You requested to be put back on active duty; specifically the Creed file.”

“Yeah. And?” Logan watched Jason warily.

“Well, through no small feat a’ beggin’, pleadin’ and other negotiation tactics, I managed to get you back in”“

Logan’s body visibly relaxed, and he settled back against the chair he’d been sitting in.

“”provided some assurances from your end.”

“’Assurances’? What the hell does that mean?” Logan went stiff again; he was smelling a big ol’ “But” in there somewhere.

When Ackens paused for a breath, Wallace spoke up, giving the General a glance. “Well, first of all Colonel, you’ve been out on sick leave for almost a year, so we’ll have to have your field readiness re-evaluated, along with clearances from Dr. Gonzalez.”

“I don’t need any tests, Jase.” Logan ignored Wallace, fixing his gaze on his superior and comrade of many years. “And if I wanted someone pokin’ ‘round my head again, I’d still be married ta Jean.”

“Logan…” Ackens started, but Wallace had had enough.

“This isn’t a negotiable ‘request’, Col. Howlett; these are the terms for your re-instatement and re-assignment to the Creed case, as well as your continued employment by the U.S. military.” Wallace roughly snapped open the shiny silver briefcase he’d carried, rustling through it for a leaflet of papers.

Logan was barely able to hold his tongue to this jerk, who didn’t seem sympathetic at all to the hell he’d been through over the past few years in general; the past several months in particular. He watched as a thin stack of documents were laid on the table before him. Wallace closed the case quickly, rising to his feet.

Ackens rose as well, but his expression was decidedly more empathetic. “Logan, ya gotta understand the position I’m in here.”

Crossing his muscular arms, Logan’s eyes burned into Jason’s. “Oh, I understand, all right…”

“No, I don’t think you do…” Jason stopped then, and motioned to Wallace, who nodded curtly and headed for the door, presumably to wait in the car. Once he’d left, Ackens turned back to Logan. “Listen, I had to call in some major-ass favors fer you on this one.”

“Look, if they got doubts I can do this, then send somebody else. But when the body-bags start comin’ back, I d’wanna hear it.” Logan growled.

“Your abilities ain’t never been in question, son. But even you have to admit here, we’ve gotta cover our own asses. If you’re not 100%, a lot of shit could go wrong; the last thing I’ll need is some over-zealous yahoo from The Hill crawlin’ up my ass about Section X, puttin’ pressure on the boys at the Pentagon to”“

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” Logan waved a tired hand, “Secret military organizations need to stay secret. I get that.”

Ackens came closer, just enough to lay a hand on Logan’s shoulder for a moment. “Good. Now, we’ve already set up some preliminary appointments for you. Just the usual light stuff at the HAWC*, couple dates w/ Gonzalez over at the MTF*, the PEB*, and God willing, we can get you in some training exercises once all this bullshit is taken care of.”

Logan watched Ackens motion to the papers, then reached and picked them up. There were highlighted areas where he needed to sign. Looking up at Jason, he asked, “And this’ll get me back In?”

The General held out a gold pen from his shirt pocket, fixing Logan with his serious expression. Without a further complaint, the Col. reached out and took it, scrawling his name at the appropriate areas.

Just a few minutes later, with that completed, Jason Ackens walked down the narrow, twisting sidewalk away from Howlett’s home and toward the street where his black & silver accented Yukon was parked. He saw Wallace in the passenger side seat, and he nodded when they made eye contact.

Approaching the car, Jase tried to push away the uneasy feeling he had in the pit of his stomach. He knew he was wagering a major gamble in trusting that Logan was ready to come back this soon. Unfortunately he really just didn’t have any other choice; the situation in Genosha was forcing their hand early, and with Victor Creed on the loose, they didn’t need any amateurs leading the group. They needed The Best.

Climbing into the car, he silently hoped that Logan was still that man.



A Few Hours Later Back at the Xavier Estate, Ororo sat before her father in his study, her body rigid and her eyes slightly widened. She looked up at Erik, who stood on the other side of the desk beside Charles. Glancing back down at her father, she began to shake her head in some astonishment.

“I…I’m not sure I understand. I thought that Sean & Cecilia were running things at the School. Now you want Me to take over as Head Master?”

Xavier nodded, firmly sliding the documents closer to her side of the desk as he spoke. “I realize that your tenure track at The Masters School is going well, but I can’t think of anyone else I would rather have in charge. Besides, Sean will be taking over in Massachusetts once the new Academy is finished next fall.”

She still hesitated, as the enormity of what he was asking finally seeped through. Head master at Xavier’s School for the Gifted; it was geared toward helping young mutants with their oftentimes unpredictable, sometimes dangerous abilities, while also preparing them for life in the ‘real’ world as much as possible. She’d grown up in that school, along with Marie, Bobby, Scott and so many others. One day it’d been her dream to come back & teach there, when she felt she was ready. Evidently, her father believed that day had come, and then some.

“Ororo, I know you’re ready for this. And with my departure to Genosha soon, I won’t be able to resume my duties anyway. Erik had been filling in, with Hank & Brian whenever they could spare the time, but I really want you for this…Consider it my gift, to you.” Charles handed her a pen, looking deep into her eyes.

She couldn’t mistake the love there, the pride as he told her this. She shook her head, feeling tears well in her eyes. Ignoring the pen, she came around the desk to wrap her arms around his neck, burying her face in his neck. Charles chuckled, looking up at Erik. “May we take that as a Yes?”

“Absolutely. Yes!” She wiped her eyes, turning to the papers and beginning to sign. She’d have to alert the Masters School of her decision”probably that same day would be a good idea, or perhaps after the holiday was officially over.

“I know it’s going to be overwhelming at first, so I’ll ask Brian and Henry to help out during the transition period. Besides that, there are some other things I’d like to go over with you tomorrow evening before we leave for the fireworks display.”

She kissed his cheek, smiling gratefully. “Thank you Dad. Really, thank you so much. I can’t tell you how much this means to me.”

Charles smiled at his daughter as she excused herself several minutes later; he didn’t mention it even to Erik, but he secretly hoped that he would be able to live long enough to see her shine on her first day as Head Master of his school…



Sometime the next afternoon, Ororo found herself deep in thought, walking slowly along the beach only a mile or so out from the house. It was getting on late in the afternoon, so the sun was low over the watery horizon as she watched it set.

Her mind had been going a mile a minute, and with all of the people rolling around the house, it was getting difficult to get a second to herself. Of course, as word of her acceptance to Charles’ offer spread, she found herself thanking everyone for their good wishes.

However, one can only take so much of that, so she found herself out on the patio at first, until a cool late afternoon breeze had caressed her body, calling to her. Leaving her shoes on the deck, she started walking. Initially it was just going to be a few hundred feet, but before long, she’d wandered about a mile out, occasionally walking into the surf to feel the cool refreshing water at her legs.

She was lost in thoughts of her father; his impending departure; her new course in life as a Head Master; what the reunion could possibly be like without its patriarch at the helm…

These were thoughts that saw many emotions pass over her face as she kept walking, no longer mindful of where she was going. Taking a sudden deep breath, she relaxed just a little, watching several gulls chase each other in the sky above. Smiling, she sort of yearned to take to the skies herself; it had been a few days now since her last ride. She realized that she’d have to remedy that soon, even as the itch to lift from the earth right then prodded her spirit.

Finally stopping, Ororo sat down in the white sand, facing the water and admiring its beauty. The healthy winds whipped her long ponytail against her back and around her shoulders, but she paid it no mind, entranced by the quiet elegance of the sunset.

Later, she couldn’t have said how long she’d been there. After about ten minutes she’d sat up, rearranging her body in a perfect position to meditate. With her long legs crossed tightly, her back was arched gracefully but the muscles were taut, and her face was lifted toward the darkening heavens as if waiting for the kiss of a lover.

“We really gotta stop meetin’ like this, darlin’.”

Shocked out of her meditation, her eyes flew open, startled, and even though she immediately recognized the voice and the man behind it, a silent flash of lightning flickered in the distance, followed by a dull rumble of thunder. Calming her emotions, she looked over and smiled at him as he continued walking up to her. Supporting her cheek with a clenched fist, Ororo couldn’t help a smile. “At least I didn’t draw any weapons on you.”

He took that in stride, stopping a few feet away from her with his arms crossed loosely. “I thought you’d get around to mentioning that.”

“You know, I have no qualms telling you now that you scared the shit out of me.” She felt a little brave, giving him a slight admonishment even as she chuckled.

Logan cocked a brow, nodding his head back behind him toward the sky. “And what was that, hm? Coincidence?”

She shrugged, still chuckling. “How did you figure it out?”

“No offense, but anyone with eyes can tell there’s somethin’ different about ya. But actually darlin’, you gave yerself away the first time we met. You prob’ly don’t remember, or tho’t I wasn’t payin’ any attention, but I heard ya.”

I’m Sorry. She remembered now, whispering those words softly the morning after finding out about her father. Slightly embarrassed, she turned away from him for a brief moment, as those painful memories flooded back. She’d managed to get over most of the anger, but Ro decided then that she never wanted to feel that sort of betrayal again.

“Ororo?”

She looked up to him, blinking back to reality as she heard her name. She liked the way it came off of his tongue; she thought he must have had an ear for languages, because his pronunciation was almost perfect”exactly as if he’d spoken Swahili himself. “So, you know I can make a big mess when I’m pissed, and I know you can…well, hide knives in your arms.”

He almost laughed out loud at that rudimentary observation of his abilities. Bringing one hand up, he allowed one claw to slowly emerge, just enough that she could see it in the waning sunlight. “Not exactly. There’s bone underneath there; the metal’s not part of my mutation…”

She gazed at him when he failed to finish that thought. As a symbolic and”she imagined”a physical closure to that statement, the claw slide back into his hand, the slow high-pitched sound sending a chill down her spine. “O…kay. What is your mutation then?”

“Healing factor primarily; enhanced senses...among other things.” He knew he was being annoyingly vague, but he really just didn’t want to get into that topic right then; he was actually amazed he’d felt free to tell her this much.

Ororo was bright enough to tell he was uncomfortable talking about his mutation, so she decided to do them both the favor & change the subject for the moment. “Oh, by the way; is “Logan” your first name, or last?”

Grinning, he replied, “Neither.”

“Oh.” She was confused now, and her face told him so.

Enjoying jerking her chain a little, Logan stepped a little closer, and settled down beside her in the sand. Resting his elbows on his drawn-up knees, he amended, “Given name’s actually James. James Howlett. I just go by Logan.” He was going to leave it at that…

Unaware of the history behind that, she looked thoughtful for several seconds, then fixed him with a soft look. “I like James.”

“Thanks…but yer not gonna call me that.”

She laughed out loud; tickled at the determined way he’d said it. He only looked at her, liking the sound more than he thought he would. As she settled down, Logan found himself studying her, for only the second time really truly up close. With the breeze washing over them, lifting her hair and clothes; the fading sunlight bouncing off her features…

Ororo looked over to see him watching her intently. It was a very private look, but it told her little of what was going on in his thoughts. “Logan?”

He snapped out of his reverie, and focused on her eyes. “Yeah?”

“I have to ask you a question. And please, don’t take this the wrong way…”

“I’ll try not to darlin’, long as you don’t go the wrong way.” His eyes told her he was joking…she thought.

“Well, I don’t know if you’ve seen anyone about your mutation…but I happen to know a few people who could help, if you ever have any problems.”

He was curious as to why she brought that up. “’Problems’? Like what?”

“I don’t know,” She lifted a shoulder, “I really can’t imagine having any with a healing factor, but I thought I’d throw that out there anyway.” She’d turned back to watch the water, completely missing his pained expression. But just as quickly as it’d appeared, it was gone, and he looked away for a moment, silent.
“Doctors. Yer talkin’ bout doctors.”

She didn’t mistake the tone of mistrust there, and looked at him sharply, surprised. “Well, a couple of them. But mainly I meant my father; he’s got some decent connections in the community focusing on mutant medicinal needs…I’m sorry, did I say something to upset you?”

He realized how his earlier statement must have sounded, and he was sorry for allowing it to show through. “Naw, don’t worry ‘bout it. Just, me and doctors rarely mix anymore. Seems there’s always one hangin’ around when I least want one.”

She started to want to delve into what was behind all these cryptic statements, but Ororo sensed that, considering it was their first real conversation, she shouldn’t try prying him open like a clam. “Hm. I get the feeling I should leave that alone.”

His expression told her she was right, but all the same he murmured, “It’s okay; thanks for carin’ enough to offer.”

She nodded briefly, feeling a little uncomfortable with where their conversation had turned off. Unsure where to go from there, Ororo simply leaned back, watching the water again. Absently, she whispered, “What I wouldn’t give to ride these winds just a little.”

At his questioning gaze, she elaborated. “It helps me think; relaxes my nerves; mostly, it’s just really fun.”

“Why can’t you?”

“Well, the last time I did, I wasn’t in the best mood, so the storm covered up my movements. On a clear night like this, I could be spotted by anyone; including the coast guard. Not that most of the neighbors don’t know there are at least a few of Us around, but I don’t want to scare anyone. It’s just not worth the trouble.” She rested her chin on her hand, a little dejected.

Logan remained quiet for a spell, until he turned to her suddenly, his eyes bright. “Hey I’ve got an idea.”

“What’s that?”

“Ever been on a Hog?”

Her curiosity piqued, she nudged him on. “A ‘hog’? Like ‘motorcycle’, hog.”

“Yep. How ‘bout it?” He had no idea why he was doing this, except that he really didn’t want their time out here to end, and at the mention of her thirst for high speeds and wind sheer, he couldn’t resist.

Ororo opened her mouth to accept his offer”but her father’s voice chocked off any answer she was going to give at that moment. ‘Ororo?’

‘Yeah dad, I’m on my way.’ Smiling back to Logan, she hated that she had to decline. After meeting up with him again like this, she’d instantly forgotten the plans the family had to see the official 4th of July display at Liberty Island. “Unfortunately, not tonight, Mr. Howlett.” She smirked when he scowled at her use of his given name.

“Oh. Alright.”

Touched at the genuine disappointment in his eyes, Ororo reached down and scrawled in the sand quickly. Logan’s eyes widened for a moment as he watched her, then looked down at what she’d written. Ororo stood then, backing a couple feet away from him. “Rain check? Tomorrow?”

He nodded, watching her wave goodbye. As she put a few feet between them, he called out, “Sunset?”

Ororo nodded, her smile making his heart thump a little harder. “Sunset. Good night, James ‘Logan’ Howlet (chuckles).”

Raising his hand, he saw her turn away to start jogging down the beach back toward her house, which he could just make out by the lights a little over a mile away. Once she was out of hearing range, he answered, “Good night Ororo…Munroe.”



It didn’t take him nearly as long as he thought to get back to his house. Along the way, Logan’s thoughts kept returning to Ororo, and he kept asking himself just what he thought he was doing.

‘Tryin’ to spend more time with her, that’s what.’ He shook his head, running a hand through it roughly in his conflicted thoughts. After yet another conversation, he was really no closer to determining just how much she knew. His gut was telling him one thing, but his conscience wanted to believe something else.

“Yer playin’ with fire, bub…” he muttered to himself, finally coming up to the back steps on the property. He was only a few tentative feet away from the back door, when his nose picked up an unmistakable scent. A short, low growl rumbled from his lips, before he made himself calm down.

As he came upon the house, a dark figure slowly rose from the back porch railing, where she’d evidently been waiting for him quite some time.

“What’re you doin’ here?” he wasn’t even trying to hide his displeasure as he stopped cold in front of her, his arms down at his sides but his hands balled into fists.

With a soft but stern expression, Jean said simply, “I came to talk to you…about Amahra.”


TBC…





You must login () to review.