Series: Seasons Change (vol.1)

Category: AU

Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of the X-Men or any other Marvel characters--Uh, U know what?? I wish I DID own 'em, cuz then I could stop this madness JoeQ & TIIC are planning w/ Ororo and (ugh) The Black Panther... But, still don't, so don't sue.

Feedback: Please, and thank you.

Dedication: To All ROLOers, Everywhere! Keep RoLo Hope Alive!



A Summer of Sunsets
Chapter #5: "First Impressions, part 3"

As the early morning breeze came off the sea, it carried enough information to Logan’s heightened senses that they were carrying on a conversation and Ro didn’t even know it. Her body was statuesque as she stood rooted in place a few yards away from him on the beach. He had only moved to the edge of the back porch’s patio; standing on the edge as he kept a watchful eye on her.

At their closer proximity, he was better able to confirm what he’d already suspected earlier that morning, but he was waiting for her to make the first move; if his military training had taught James “Logan” Howlett one thing, it was to never let on what you know…especially upon first impressions.

“Hey! I’m talkin’ t’ya!”

Ororo blinked, her eyes moving slowly from his arm to this face. She braced her back against the strong wind blowing behind her, trying to convince herself that it was the chill of the morning that ran down her back; not what she’d just witnessed, or the almost feral look in the man’s eye. “I…uh, I’m s-sorry, I…”

“I said, what’d’you want? I’m busy.” He never took his eyes off her, but reached a hand into his pocket to take out the half-smoked stub of a cigar, and put it in his mouth, chewing around it as he visually pierced her.

Choosing for the moment to ignore what she’d just seen (maybe he’d believe she hadn’t witnessed it if she didn’t mention it?), Ororo took a single step closer to him, crossing her arms in a very obviously nervous way. “I don’t want to keep you, sir. I’ll be quick; I just wanted to speak w/ you about the mess.”

His flint-colored eyes hardened for a brief moment, as he gave her an expression that said he couldn’t believe she was actually ‘going there’. “Look, I’ve gotten all the letters I can stand from you Home Owners Association muthaf”“

“I’m not from The Association,” she spoke above his curse, stepping forward quickly in reassurance.

Of course he knew that. “Hmph. I was gonna say…” he muttered anyway, leaning against the wooden column briefly before standing back up straight. “So, who are you with, then?”

Ororo dared to keep coming closer, until they were only a few feet apart; he remained standing on the top step of the back porch, and she was directly below him on the sand below the last step. They evaluated each other for the longest time, as she correctly decided to choose her words more carefully w/ this man. “I’m not “with” anyone, sir. I just tho’t that you could use some help, after the storm last night, cleaning up some of the mess. I just came to offer…”

Her words trailed off as he continued to stare her down. Suddenly, Ororo began to think better of her decision to ‘heal the world, one house at a time’. As for Logan, he was still trying to figure her out himself. Her disposition indicated that she was uncomfortable but he wasn’t convinced it was for the reason he initially believed. Rather than open that particular can o’ worms, he decided that if she didn’t bring IT up, then neither would he.

“So, that’s what yer up to? Got a house-cleanin’ gig goin?”

She almost laughed, but wasn’t totally convinced he was not joking. Reaching a hand out to grasp the weathered railing of the steps before her, Ororo looked back up to him, a somewhat wry smile on her face. “Not quite. But…I’d like to lend a helping hand, if it’s alright..?”

He almost asked her why, but could tell quite easily that that particular question was one she wished to avoid. Still somewhat wary of her, Logan cocked his head to one side and said simply, “No.”

He visibly saw her disposition fall in disappointment, then she closed her mouth, nodding in silent resolution. He had so many walls built up around his feelings, this barely made a dent in his steely reserve. Ororo let go of the railing, beginning to back up one step. She looked back up at him, a small”if not forced”smile on her face as she said, “Alright…I’m sorry to have troubled you, Mr…?”

All she got out of Logan was a firm grunt and a curt nod, as he completely ignored the implied question at the end of her statement. The cigar was rolled between his lips as he watched her back away, then turn back toward the way she’d come. Not once did she even turn back to look his way; Logan, however, never took his eyes off of her as she retreated. Truth be told, he had been mildly surprised, and was proud of himself for not showing it. The striking young woman seemed oblivious…for that, he was glad, because at that moment he really didn’t feel up to any more trips down memory lane…

His face told an old story”a memory refreshed. Shaking his head slowly, he dismissed the tho’t running through his mind, and reached in his pocket for his favorite lighter, bringing it up to the remnants of his cigar as he turned back into the dark house.

Sometime Later That Morning, Ororo came back into the main house, her steps heavy w/ some disappointment. On one hand, she was slightly vexed at the attitude the mysterious stranger had given her, but then, as she’d walked slowly back home, she gave herself pause to think about what she had been about to do. Surprised at herself, she shook her head in self-admonishment. ‘You didn’t even know that guy! Geez, he could have been some mass-murderer or something.’

She didn’t honestly believe so, but the point was brought home anyway. ‘Well, it was a good idea, anyway'. She chuckled to herself, heading up the stairs toward her father’s room. If all she needed was good ideas for philanthropy, she knew exactly where to get them. And as for the stranger on the beach? She was curious, she had to admit.

She would have to remember to ask her father about him later.


TBC



(I know this seems an odd place to stop, but I have to find my original notes on this story for the progression after Logan’s & Ro’s initial encounter. They’re floating around my new apartment”no worries, I’ll find them! I may come back & re-edit this chap., not sure.)





You must login () to review.